- 1. 200th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Dayanand Saraswati were inaugurated by Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar in New Delhi.
- 2. India has moved up five places to be ranked 101st in the latest FIFA rankings.
- 3. RBI proposed to expand UPI digital payments system to allow credit.
- 4. Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky received the highest honour of Poland.
- 5. PM Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of projects worth over Rs 11,300 crore in Telangana on 08 April 2023.
- 6. UAE and Vietnam have signed a joint declaration to begin negotiations on a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) between the two countries.
- 7. Government gave approval to build an advanced gravitational-wave detector in Maharashtra.
- 8. Tripura became the best-performing state among North Eastern States in implementing e-Procurement.
- 9. Kalikesh Singh Deo assumed charge as president of NRAI.
- 10. RBI will launch ‘PRAVAAH’ portal.
- 11. Global trade growth is expected to slow down to 1.7% in 2023.
- 12. Jharkhand Education Minister Jagarnath Mahato passed away at the age of 56.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: National News
1. 200th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Dayanand Saraswati were inaugurated by Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar in New Delhi.
- He released a postage stamp on Swami Dayanand Saraswati in the presence of Minister of State for Communications Devusinh Chauhan, and Members of Parliament Dr Satya Pal Singh, and Sumedhanand Saraswati.
- Spiritual leaders Swami Ramdev and Swami Chidanand Saraswati were also present on the occasion.
- Swami Dayanand Saraswati founded the Arya Samaj in Mumbai 148 years ago.
- Swami Dayanand Saraswati:
- He was born on 12 February 1824, in Gujarat and his real name was Mool Shankar.
- He founded the Arya Samaj in Bombay in 1875.
- He had given the slogan- ‘Go back to the Vedas‘ and ‘the Vedas are the source of all knowledge’. He emphasized the doctrine of Karma and Reincarnation.
- He was against the caste system, idol worship, and untouchability. He had founded the Dayanand Anglo Vedic schools for the education of men and women.
2. India has moved up five places to be ranked 101st in the latest FIFA rankings.
- India won by 1-0 and 2-0 over Myanmar and Kyrgyzstan respectively in Imphal in March 2023.
- India gained 8.57 ranking points. It gained five places up from the previous 106th spot.
- India is now one place below New Zealand. It is now one place above Kenya.
- With 1200.66 total points, Indian team is at 19th place among 46 Asian nations.
- India’s best ranking so far was 94th in 1996. Japan is ranked at the top among Asian nations.
- Argentina is on the top of the list. France, Brazil, Belgium, England, Netherlands, Croatia, Italy, Portugal and Spain are other countries in the top 10.
- Igor Stimac is the current head coach of the India national football team.
Topic: Banking System
3. RBI proposed to expand UPI digital payments system to allow credit.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) expanded the reach of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) digital payments system by permitting credit to be offered via pre-approved bank lines.
- Individuals with pre-approved credit lines from banks will be able to use it to make payments over the Unified Payments Interface (UPI)
- RBI governor Shaktikanta Das said that this initiative will promote innovation in the country.
- UPI accounts could now offer an alternative to credit cards.
- Recently, RBI has also allowed RuPay credit cards to be linked to UPI. It has enabled customers to link their credit cards to UPI.
- UPI is an instant real-time payment system that allows users to transfer money across multiple banks without disclosing bank account details.
- 8.65 billion Transactions amounting to 14.05 trillion rupees were recorded through UPI in March 2023. It is the highest-ever transactions since UPI was introduced.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
4. Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky received the highest honour of Poland.
- Volodymyr Zelensky has been awarded Poland's highest award, the Order of the White Eagle.
- He has received the award for his service to security, resilience and the defense of human rights.
- Polish President Andrzej Duda presented the award to Volodymyr Zelensky.
- The Order of the White Eagle is the oldest and highest decoration of Poland.
- It is given to the most eminent persons of Poland and the highest-ranking representatives of foreign countries.
- This award was officially instituted on 1 November 1705 by Augustus II the Strong, King of Poland.
- Zelenski also met with the Prime Minister of Poland Mateusz Morawiecki before attending a Polish-Ukrainian economic forum.
Topic: State News/Telangana
5. PM Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of projects worth over Rs 11,300 crore in Telangana on 08 April 2023.
- He also flagged off the Secunderabad – Tirpuati Vande Bharat Express train.
- This train takes around 8 hours and 30 minutes to reach Tirupathi from Hyderabad.
- This is the second Vande Bharat train for Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- The PM also laid the foundation stone for the re-development of the Secunderabad railway station.
- He dedicated to the country the completed sections of the Secunderabad-Mahabubnagar doubling project.
- He virtually laid the foundation station of various development works at AIIMS Bibinagar.
- He will flag off 13 new Multi-Modal Transport Service (MMTS) services in the Hyderabad-Secunderabad twin city region.
Topic: International News
6. UAE and Vietnam have signed a joint declaration to begin negotiations on a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) between the two countries.
- The aim of CEPA negotiations is to strengthen economic and trade partnerships.
- UAE is currently Vietnam’s largest trade partner in the Arab countries.
- UAE's Minister of State for Foreign Trade urged the Vietnamese private sector to take benefit from the NextGenFDI initiative of the UAE.
- NextGenFDI initiative offers a wide array of incentives to participants, including relocation support and easy access to bank financing and commercial and residential rental incentives.
- In February 2022, UAE signed its first ever CEPA with India. After that, UAE signed free trade agreement with Israel, Indonesia and Turkey.
- United Arab Emirates:
- It is located in Western Asia at the northeast end of the Arabian Peninsula.
- Abu Dhabi is the capital and UAE Dirham is the currency of UAE.
- Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is the Prime Minister of UAE.
- Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan is the President of UAE.
Topic: Science and Technology
7. Government gave approval to build an advanced gravitational-wave detector in Maharashtra.
- The Union Cabinet approved a project to build an advanced gravitational-wave detector in Maharashtra at an estimated cost of Rs 2,600 crore.
- LIGO-India is scheduled to begin its scientific operation from 2030.
- LIGO India will be the fifth detector after Virgo of Italy and KAGRA of Japan.
- It will be made with the exact specifications of Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave \Observatories (LIGO) in Louisiana and Washington in the U.S.
- The LIGO-India project is a collaboration between a consortium of Indian research institutions and the U.S. observatories and other international partners.
- This project has been approved by the Indian government in 2016.
- Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatories (LIGO):
- The LIGO is a giant L-shaped instrument in which each arm of the ‘L’ shape is 4km long.
- Researchers use this instrument to detect, record, and study gravitational waves.
- The study of gravitational waves will assist scientists in understanding the most fundamental physical laws.
Topic: State News/ Tripura
8. Tripura became the best-performing state among North Eastern States in implementing e-Procurement.
- Tripura received this award at a National Workshop on e-Procurement.
- A National Workshop on e-Procurement was organized by the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Electronic and Information Technology.
- The Tripura government has been recognized for their work in various departments in the last 5 years.
- The Tripura government has received this award for completing the work within a specified time under the Power Department’s Saubhagya Yojana.
- Tripura also gets the title of the best performer in agriculture, and panchayat self-employment.
- The Finance Minister of Tripura said that the state government has emphasized on transparency in administration.
- The Tripura government made e-procurement mandatory for the procurement of goods and services above Rs 25,000.
- In the 2022-23 FY, 9815 tenders have been made through the e-procurement portal. 3095 orders have been placed through GEM as of December 2022.
- In FY 2022-23, the total value of bidding and tendering via e-procurement and GEM was Rs 7373 crore.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|February Monthly Current Affairs||January Monthly Current Affairs|
|December Monthly Current Affairs||November Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: National Appointments
9. Kalikesh Singh Deo assumed charge as president of NRAI.
- Senior vice-president Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo becomes the new president of the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI).
- He has taken place of Raninder Singh, who went on leave after serving for more than 12 years as NRAI president.
- Raninder served as president from December 29, 2010 to Dec 29, 2022.
- The Sports ministry has asked the NRAI to hold elections for the post of president within the prescribed timeline.
- The Sports Ministry has issued a direction that heads of national sports federations (NSFs) cannot hold office for more than 12 years.
- National Rifle Association of India (NRAI):
- It was founded in 1951 to promote and popularize shooting sports in India.
- Sh. G.V. Mavlankar was the founder and the first president of NRAI.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
10. RBI will launch ‘PRAVAAH’ portal.
- PRAVAAH (Platform for Regulatory Application, Validation And AutHorisation) will be a secured web-based centralised portal.
- It will simplify and streamline application processes.
- The portal will provide time limits for making decisions on the applications/approvals requested.
- It will gradually be expanded to all types of applications made to RBI across all functions.
- This step has been taken to comply with the Union Budget 2023-24 announcement regarding the need for financial sector authorities to simplify, streamline, and minimise the cost of compliance.
- Currently, the application and approval processes are carried out in both online and offline ways.
11. Global trade growth is expected to slow down to 1.7% in 2023.
- On 5 April, the World Trade Organization (WTO) said that global merchandise trade volume is expected to grow by 1.7% in 2023, compared to an earlier estimate of 1% in October.
- But it is lower from growth of 2.7% in 2022.
- The trade are expected to be 'subpar' due to a number of factors, including the Russia-Ukraine conflict, extremely high inflation, tighter monetary policy and financial uncertainty.
- The trade growth is below than 12-year average of 2.6%. In 2024, Trade growth is expected to touch 3.2%.
- However, the estimate is uncertain as much will depend on how the conflict between Russia and Ukraine ends.
- As far as India is concerned, its share in global merchandise trade is 1.8 per cent, which ranks 18th.
- In the financial year 2022-23, India is expected to witness nearly 6% YoY growth in merchandise trade to $447 billion.
- In terms of imports, the share of India is 2.8% with the ninth rank.
- Among the world's leading exporters and importers of commercial services like transportation, travel, commercial services, computer services, among others, India's share was 4.4 per cent in exports and 4 per cent in imports.
- India ranked seventh in terms of exports and eighth in terms of imports of commercial services.
- Over recent years, China ranked as the largest tourism outbound market and spender.
Topic: Personality in News
12. Jharkhand Education Minister Jagarnath Mahato passed away at the age of 56.
- He has passed away during treatment in Chennai on 6 April.
- He was a member of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha and the assembly representative for the Dumri constituency in the current Jharkhand assembly.
- From the Dumri constituency, he won four times in the assembly elections.