Daily Current Affairs and GK | 8 November 2022
- 1. UIDAI launched an AI chatbot named ‘Aadhaar Mitra’ for grievance redressal.
- 2. Google launched the ‘FloodHub’ platform to forecast floods.
- 3. A total lunar eclipse occurred on 8th November 2022.
- 4. According to the WMO report, the past eight years have been warmer than any year prior to 2015.
- 5. MP Minister Mohan Yadav lays a foundational stone of a project for installing a 'Vedic clock' in Ujjain.
- 6. World Radiography Day 2022: 8 November
- 7. National Florence Nightingale Awards (NFNA) 2021 presented by President Droupadi Murmu to nursing professionals.
- 8. Uttarakhand government will felicitate NSA Ajit Doval and four others with this year's Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman.
- 9. MNRE notified the National Bioenergy Programme on 2 November 2022.
- 10. Ministry of Education will celebrate the 'Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas' in schools and higher educational institutions.
- 11. Supreme Court has ruled that 10% reservation in jobs and education for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) is constitutionally valid.
- 12. World Travel Market Exhibition started on 7 November in London.
- 13. Two books on achievements of Prime Minister Narendra Modi were released on 6 November.
- 14. Pramod Bhagat won singles title at BWF Para-badminton World Championships in Tokyo.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: National News
1. UIDAI launched an AI chatbot named ‘Aadhaar Mitra’ for grievance redressal.
- For a better user experience, UIDAI has launched its new AI/ML-based chatbot ‘Aadhaar Mitra’.
- This new chatbot has enhanced features like - checking Aadhaar enrolment/update status, tracking of Aadhaar PVC card status, information on enrolment centre location, etc.
- Users can also register their grievances and track them through this chatbot.
- For the third month in a row, UIDAI has topped among all Group A ministries, departments and autonomous bodies for resolving public grievances in a ranking published.
- UIDAI has a robust grievance redressal mechanism. It resolves nearly 92% of CRM grievances in a week.
- UIDAI is implementing an advanced and futuristic Open-Source CRM solution. It will support multi-channels through which grievances can be resolved.
2. Google launched the ‘FloodHub’ platform to forecast floods.
- Google has launched a ‘FloodHub’ platform that will display when and where floods may occur.
- It will forecast floods and inform people about the natural calamity.
- AI flood forecasting services have been extended to 18 counties across Latin America, Africa and Southeast Asia.
- The flood forecasting services were introduced for the first time in 2018 in India.
- Google has used an AI technique called transfer learning.
- In the future, this information will be brought to Google Search and Maps to help more people in reaching safe places during flooding situations.
- Around 329 million hectares are prone to floods in India. Every year, around 75 lakh hectares of land get affected and1600 lives are lost, due to floods in India.
3. A total lunar eclipse occurred on 8th November 2022.
- This eclipse was visible in South America, North America, Australia, Asia, the North Atlantic Ocean, and the Pacific Ocean.
- The eclipse was visible from all places in India at the time of the moonrise.
- The beginning of the partial and total phases of the eclipse was not visible from any place in India as the event was going on before the moon rose.
- From the eastern parts of the country, the end of both the total and partial phases was visible.
- In cities, such as Kolkata and Guwahati, at moonrise, there was a total eclipse phase.
- A lunar eclipse occurs on a full moon day when the Earth comes between the Sun and the Moon and when all three are aligned.
- A total lunar eclipse occurs when the entire Moon comes under Earth's shadow.
- A partial lunar eclipse occurs when a part of the Moon comes under Earth's shadow.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Reports and Indices
4. According to the WMO report, the past eight years have been warmer than any year prior to 2015.
- On November 6, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said in a report that in these eight years, the temperature of each year has been warmer than before 2015.
- The report was released during the COP27 UN Climate Summit in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.
- The World Meteorological Organization said in report that sea level rise, glacier melt, torrential rains, heat waves, and the deadly disasters they cause have all intensified.
- According to the report, the earth has warmed by more than 1.1 degrees Celsius since the end of the 19th century, with over half of that rise happening in the last 30 years.
- WMO Secretary-General Petteri Taalas believes the Paris climate agreement's 1.5-degree warming target is unlikely to be met due to atmospheric carbon dioxide levels.
- According to the WMO report, since the beginning of the decade, the sea has been increasing at a rate of 5 mm annually, compared to 2.1 mm in the 1990s.
- Surface water in the ocean, which absorbs more than 90 percent of accumulated heat from human carbon emissions, reached record-high temperatures in 2021.
- In 2022, 55 percent of the ocean surface experienced at least one marine heatwave.
- The WMO's annual State of the Global Climate found that greenhouse gases are responsible for more than 95 percent of warming.
- The increase in methane emissions has been due to leaks in natural gas production and an increase in beef consumption.
- The drought in East Africa is expected to worsen in 2022 as rainfall has been below average for four straight rainy seasons, the longest stretch in 40 years.
- China saw its longest and most intense heatwave, it was the second-driest summer.
- Since 2001, Switzerland has lost more than a third of its glacier volume.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Madhya Pradesh
5. MP Minister Mohan Yadav lays a foundational stone of a project for installing a 'Vedic clock' in Ujjain.
- The first Vedic Clock in the world is being installed in Ujjain, the city of Lord Malakal.
- On 6 November, Madhya Pradesh state higher education minister Mohan Yadav laid the foundation stone for this mega project at the 300-year-old Jiwaji Observatory in Ujjain.
- Its purpose is to introduce people to Indian (Vedic) time calculation.
- This mega project is being built by the state government at an estimated cost of Rs 1.62 crore.
- Maharaja Sawai Raja Jaisingh of Jaipur constructed the observatory in 1719.
- The special feature of this Vedic clock is that it will be based on the Vedic calculation of time, in which 24 hours of the day are divided into Muhurtas.
- The Vedic Clock will be synced with the position of the Sun as well as the sunrise and sunset times at various places around the world.
- There will be a dedicated mobile application for Vedic clock readings, and citizens will be able to use it on their smartphones, computers, televisions, and other devices.
- The application will also have information about Vedic Hindu Panchang, planetary positions, Muhurta, astrological calculations, predictions, etc.
Topic: Important Days
6. World Radiography Day 2022: 8 November
- Every year on 8 November World Radiography Day (WRD) is celebrated.
- The theme of World Radiography Day 2022 is “Radiographers at the Forefront of Patient Safety”.
- The day is celebrated to mark the anniversary of the discovery of X-rays in 1895 by Professor Wilhelm Konrad Roentgen of the University of Würzburg, Germany.
- He was awarded the first Nobel Prize in Physics in 1901 for this achievement.
- In 1896, for the first time, John Hall-Edwards used X-rays in a surgical operation.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Awards and Prizes
7. National Florence Nightingale Awards (NFNA) 2021 presented by President Droupadi Murmu to nursing professionals.
- President felicitated Harinder Kaur with the National Florence Nightingale Award 2021 on 7 November 2022.
- Harinder Kaur is a nursing officer at Government Multi Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector 16, Chandigarh.
- President also presented NFNA 2021 to Ahmadullah Wani of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Total number of awardees for the National Florence Nightingale Awards (NFNA) 2021 is 51.
- 17 Auxiliary Nurse and Midwifes (ANMs), 4 Lady Health Visitors (LHVs) and 30 nurses from across the nation have received the National Florence Nightingale Awards for 2021.
- National Florence Nightingale Awards (NFNA):
- NFNA is given to recognize the meritorious services rendered by nurses and nursing professionals to the society.
- National Florence Nightingale Awards were instituted in the year 1973 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
8. Uttarakhand government will felicitate NSA Ajit Doval and four others with this year's Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman.
- Lyricist Prasoon Joshi will also be felicitated with the Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman on 9 November.
- Former Chief of Defence Staff Gen Bipin Rawat, the late poet and author Girish Chandra Tiwari and late journalist Viren Dangwal will be awarded posthumously with the award.
- Prasoon Joshi is the chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification.
- Ajit Doval is the fifth and current National Security Advisor (NSA) of India.
- Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman:
- Uttarakhand government honours people with Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman every year to recognise their achievements in their respective fields.
- Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman started in 2021. It is one of the two highest state-level civilian awards. Uttarakhand Ratna is second one.
- Former CM ND Tiwari, environmentalist Anil Prakash Joshi, author Ruskin Bond, mountaineer Bachendri Pal and folk singer Narendra Singh Negi received the first edition of the award.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
9. MNRE notified the National Bioenergy Programme on 2 November 2022.
- The National Bioenergy Programme has been extended by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) from FY 2021–2022 to 2025–2026.
- The Programme will be implemented in two phases. Around Rs 858 crores have been allocated for Phase-I of the Programme.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) is providing financial assistance for setting up Bioenergy projects such as Biogas, BioCNG, Power from urban, etc.
- MNRE is promoting bioenergy in the country since the 1980s.
- The National Bioenergy Programme has the following sub-schemes:
- Waste to Energy Programme: It supports the setting up of large Biogas, BioCNG and Power plants.
- Biomass Programme: It supports the setting up of pellets and briquettes for use in power generation and non-bagasse-based power generation projects.
- Biogas Programme: It supports in setting up of family and medium size Biogas in rural areas.
Topic: National News
10. Ministry of Education will celebrate the 'Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas' in schools and higher educational institutions.
- To mark the contribution of tribal freedom fighters like Birsa Munda and others, 15 November will be celebrated as 'Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas'.
- The Ministry of Education, in association with the All India Council for Technical Education, the University Grants Commission, central and private universities, and other Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) will celebrate the day.
- In 2021, the government declared 15 November as ‘Janjatiya Gaurav Divas' in memory of tribal freedom fighters.
- November 15 is the birth anniversary of Birsa Munda, who was a freedom fighter, social reformer, and tribal leader.
- On this occasion, the students will also be felicitated for their good work.
- This day will inspire future generations to remember the sacrifices of the tribal freedom fighters of the country.
Topic: Indian Polity
11. Supreme Court has ruled that 10% reservation in jobs and education for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) is constitutionally valid.
- The ruling has been given by a five-judge Constitution-bench of Supreme Court led by Chief Justice of India Uday Umesh Lalit.
- The bench ruled with a majority view that 10% reservation for EWS does not violate basic structure of the Constitution.
- The bench comprised of justices Dinesh Maheshwari, S Ravindra Bhat, Bela M Trivedi, and J B Pardiwala.
- Justices Dinesh Maheshwari, Bela M Trivedi and J B Pardiwala agreed that the amendment does not violate the basic structure of the Constitution.
- Chief Justice of India U U Lalit and Justice S Ravindra Bhat dissented.
- Justice Maheshwari said reservation singularly on economic background does not violate any essential feature of the Constitution.
- Justice Maheshwari also opined that the reservation for EWS over and above the 50 percent cap does not violate the basic structure
- He opined the ceiling in any case only applies to reservation envisaged by Articles 15(4), 15(5) and 16(4) of the Constitution.
- Justice Bela M Trivedi said that treating EWS as separate class would be a reasonable classification.
- She added that it cannot be called unreasonable, or unjustifiable classification. She opined it cannot be called as violative of Article 14.
- 103rd Amendment Act:
- 103rd Constitution amendment of year 2019 paved the way for EWS reservation in India.
- Through this, Articles 15(6) and 16(6) were introduced in the Constitution.
- As a result, 10% reservation was provided in jobs and admissions to persons other than SC, ST and OBC whose annual family income is below ₹8 lakh.
Topic: International News
12. World Travel Market Exhibition started on 7 November in London.
- India participated in the World Travel Market (WTM) 2022, which will be held from 7 to 9 November, 2022.
- It is one of the largest travel exhibitions internationally.
- The theme of the exhibition 2022 is “The Future of Travel Starts Now.”
- The Ministry of Tourism said that India will present itself as a preferred country for tourism in the exhibition.
- A total of 16 stakeholders, including various State Governments, several Union Ministries, tour operators, are participating in the three-day exhibition at the Indian Pavilion.
- Its objective is to present services related to tourism to the international community, including Medical value travel, luxury trains, etc.
- The contribution of the travel and tourism sector to India's GDP during the year 2019 stood at 5.19%.
- The Indian tourism sector provides employment opportunities to about eight crore people.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Books and Authors
13. Two books on achievements of Prime Minister Narendra Modi were released on 6 November.
- Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rajiv Chandrashekhar released these books in Dubai.
- These books are- “Modi@20: Dreams Meet Delivery” and “Heartfelt: The Legacy of Faith”.
- These books were released at an event of Vishwa Sadbhavna, NID Foundation (Dubai Chapter) to increase the bonds of brotherhood and solidarity among people in the US, Australia and New Zealand.
- Chandrashekhar said that the success of flagship programs like Digital India, Skill India and Startup India has changed the worldview towards Indian democracy.
14. Pramod Bhagat won singles title at BWF Para-badminton World Championships in Tokyo.
- Pramod Bhagat won the gold medal in the men's singles SL3 event by defeating Nitesh Kumar by 21-19, 21-19.
- He also won silver along with Manoj Sarkar in the Men's Doubles SL3-SL4 category.
- They got defeated by Indonesia's Hikmat Ramdani and Ukun Rukaendi in the Men's Doubles final.
- On the other hand, 17-year-old Manisha Ramdas made her debut by winning the women's singles SU5 gold medal by defeating Mamiko Toyoda of Japan.