- 1. A new book titled ‘The Best of Satyajit Ray’ has been released by Penguin India.
- 2. Punjab government approved a new industrial and EV policy.
- 3. India will send C-17 planeloads of relief material to Turkiye under Operation Dost.
- 4. MoD and L&T signed contract for procurement of 41 indigenous modular bridges.
- 5. Golden Book Awards 2023 awarded to Rakhi Kapoor for her book 'Now You Breathe'.
- 6. India became the world's largest milk producer, contributing 24% of global milk production.
- 7. The pilot launch of the QR Code-based Coin Vending Machine has been announced by RBI.
- 8. 108 Namma Clinics have been launched by Karnataka CM in Bengaluru.
- 9. Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw will launch ‘Digital Payments Utsav’ in New Delhi.
- 10. NITI Aayog proposed setting up a separate central board for recognition of vocational education.
- 11. Ministry of Education demanded special audit of implementation of PM Poshan Scheme in West Bengal for last 3 financial years.
- 12. NTPC has won “ATD Best Awards 2023” for Talent Development.
- 13. 108 pilgrims of South Korea will visit Buddhist sites in India and Nepal.
- 14. PhonePe has become first fintech in India to allow UPI payments abroad.
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: Books and Authors
1. A new book titled ‘The Best of Satyajit Ray’ has been released by Penguin India.
- The ‘Best of Satyajit Ray' has 21 best short stories of Satyajit Ray.
- It also has all eight stories that Satyajit Ray translated himself into English.
- Satyajit Ray was one of the most eminent film directors. He was the recipient of 36 National Film Awards.
- He received many national awards including the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Padma Bhushan, and the Bharat Ratna.
- He received the Honorary Oscar for Lifetime Achievement from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) in 1992.
- He was honoured with the Bharat Ratna in 1992. He was also a brilliant music composer and illustrator.
Topic: State News/ Punjab
2. Punjab government approved a new industrial and EV policy.
- A new policy for industries and electric vehicles has been approved by the Punjab Cabinet.
- The industrial policy will mainly focus on three key sectors- Micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs), infrastructure and power.
- The new industrial policy has been released just ahead of the state’s investors’ summit scheduled to be held from 23-24 February in Mohali.
- Start-up and entrepreneurship, large enterprises, innovation, skill development, and ease of doing business are the main key areas of the policy.
- Under the new policy, the state government will develop 15 industrial parks. These parks will cover the general and sector-specific requirements of various industrial sectors and rural clusters.
- Punjab Electric Vehicle Policy (PEVP) 2022 aims to reduce pollution in the state from vehicles.
- The policy aims to create infrastructure, manufacturing, research and development, job creation, and ensure sustainability.
- The policy will identify sectors like the manufacturing of autos and their components for fiscal incentives.
- It will also support the manufacturing of EVs, and sports goods including fitness equipment and hand tools.
Topic: International News
3. India will send C-17 planeloads of relief material to Turkiye under Operation Dost.
- Under Operation Dost, India will send another C-17 planeload of relief supplies, equipment, and personnel to earthquake-hit Turkiye.
- Earlier, four such aircraft have landed in that country with relief material.
- Another C-130 aircraft carrying relief material has arrived in Syria to assist in the rescue and relief operations.
- The aircraft carrying 99 medical specialists will set up a 30-bed medical facility in field operation conditions.
- Along with rescue personnel, medical equipment including X-ray machines, ventilators, operation-theatres, vehicles, ambulances, generators etc. were also sent.
- This was the biggest natural disaster in Turkey since 1939.
- More NDRF teams are also in reserve. NDRF is ready to provide whatever assistance it can provide to Turkey.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. MoD and L&T signed contract for procurement of 41 indigenous modular bridges.
- On 8 February, the Ministry of Defence signed a contract with Larsen & Toubro for the procurement of 41 indigenous modular bridges worth over Rs 2,585 crore for the Indian Army's Corps of Engineers.
- This step will give a big boost to 'Aatmanirbharta' in the defence sector.
- The Defence Research and Development Organization has designed and developed these bridges.
- The bridges will be manufactured by Larsen & Toubro Company.
- Seven carrier vehicles based on 8x8 Heavy Mobility Vehicles (HMV) and two launcher vehicles based on 10x10 HMV shall comprise each set of modular bridges.
- Each set shall be capable of mechanically launching a single span fully decked 46-meter assault bridge.
- The modular bridges will take the place of the manually launched Medium Girder Bridges (MGBs), which are currently being used by the Indian Army.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
5. Golden Book Awards 2023 awarded to Rakhi Kapoor for her book 'Now You Breathe'.
- Rakhi Kapoor has won the award for her book “Now You Breathe - Overcoming Toxic Relationships and Abuse” in the category Powerful Relationship Guide.
- Now You Breathe is author Rakhi Kapoor's twenty-fifth book.
- The Golden Book Awards is one of Asia's prestigious award programs that celebrates the best works on literature.
- Over 75,000 books were published in India and the nominees cover a diverse mix of literary genres including fiction, non-fiction, poetry and children's books.
- The winners have been selected by a panel of literary experts, including Dr Kailash Pinjani (President of the Indian Authors Association), Dr Deepak Parbat (Founder of Superfast Author), and Murali Sundaram (Founder of TLC).
- The winners are selected based on factors such as originality, creativity, and impact on the literary world.
- The winners of Golden Book Awards 2023 are-
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
Gaur Gopal Das
Energize Your Mind: A Monk's Guide To Mindful Living
How To Live Your Life
The Dolphin And The Shark: Stories On Entrepreneurship
Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Diper Overlode
Rajeev Kumar Dubey
Topic: Agriculture and Allied Sectors
6. India became the world's largest milk producer, contributing 24% of global milk production.
- According to the production data from the Food and Agriculture Organization Corporate Statistical Database (FAOSTAT), India has become the world's largest milk producer.
- In the year 2021-22, India has secured the first position by contributing 24 percent of the total milk production in the world.
- The second and third largest milk-producing countries in the world are the USA and China, respectively.
- India's milk production has registered an increase of 51% during the last eight years i.e. during the years 2014-15 and 2021-22.
- Milk production in the country has reached 220 million tonnes in the year 2021-22.
- Since February 2014, a central scheme named “National Program for Dairy Development (NPDD)” is being implemented across the country. The scheme was revised in July 2021.
- The revised NPDD scheme will be implemented from 2021-22 to 2025-26. There is a budget provision of Rs 1790 crore for this.
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission is being implemented since December 2014 for the development and conservation of indigenous bovine breeds.
- The central government is constantly increasing the budget of the Ministry of Animal Husbandry and Dairying for the development of this sector.
- There has been an increase of 77.62% in the budget allocation for the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying between 2014-15 to 2023-24 as compared to 2004-2005 to 2013-14.
(Source: News on AIR)
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|January Monthly Current Affairs||December Monthly Current Affairs|
|November Monthly Current Affairs||October Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Banking System
7. The pilot launch of the QR Code-based Coin Vending Machine has been announced by RBI.
- As per RBI’s announcement, QR Code-based Coin Vending Machine will be launched to improve the distribution of coins.
- RBI announced that the machine will be launched in collaboration with a few leading banks.
- The pilot project will be launched in 19 locations in 12 cities across the country.
- QR Code-based Coin Vending Machine is a cashless coin dispensation machine.
- It will dispense coins against debit to the customer’s bank account using Unified Payments Interface.
- QR Code-based Coin Vending Machines would end the need for the physical tendering of banknotes and their authentication.
- Customers will also have the option to withdraw coins from these machines.
- It is planned that these vending machines will be installed at public places like railway stations, shopping malls, and marketplaces to enhance ease and accessibility.
Topic: State News/Karnataka
8. 108 Namma Clinics have been launched by Karnataka CM in Bengaluru.
- Newly-set up Namma Clinic (our Clinic) in Mahalakshmipura ward was inaugurated on 07 February 2023.
- The remaining 107 Namma Clinics (our Clinics) were launched virtually.
- The aim of Namma Clinics is to integrate promotive, preventive and curative healthcare services under one roof.
- They also aim to provide quality primary care to people in their neighbourhood.
- They are designed to provide universal and comprehensive primary healthcare facilities in urban areas.
- Referral facilities will also be available. This will reduce the cost of treatment and decentralize healthcare services.
- 438 clinics are being established in the urban areas across the state at a cost of Rs 150 crore. Out of these, 243 clinics are being established in Bengaluru.
- Last year in December, Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai had launched 100 Namma Clinics at a function in Dharwad.
- Each Namma Clinic will have one doctor, one nursing staff, one lab technician and one group-D worker. 12 healthcare service packages will be available.
Topic: National News
9. Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw will launch ‘Digital Payments Utsav’ in New Delhi.
- The main of the ‘Digital Payments Utsav’ is to promote Digital Payments across the country.
- “Digital Payments Utsav" has been planned with a focus on G-20 Digital Economy Working Group event cities.
- "Digital Payments Utsav" will be organized from February 9 to October 9, 2023, in association with different stakeholders.
- G-20 co-branded QR code and a Coffee Table Book will be also released.
- Digital Payment Sandesh Yatra will be also flagged off. Its main aim is to make people aware of the various digital payments solution and the security and safety of digital payments.
- DigiDhan awards for top-performing banks in the digital payments space will be also given during the event.
- Digital payments will ensure financial inclusion and empower small merchants and street vendors in the country.
- The event will conclude with the presentation of awards to bankers and fintech companies in different categories.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
10. NITI Aayog proposed setting up a separate central board for recognition of vocational education.
- NITI Aayog recently launched a report titled “Transforming Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs)”.
- On the lines of education boards such as the central board of secondary education, NITI Aayog has proposed setting up a separate central board for vocational education.
- NITI Aayog also suggested conducting of national centralised examinations for admission to Industrial Training Institute (ITIs).
- NITI Aayog proposed a seven-pronged strategy to transform more than 15,000 ITIs in India.
- ITIs are the backbone of vocational training in India. So far, revamping of ITIs have been attempted through various interventions.
- The capacity utilization remains low in ITIs. Out of a capacity of 25 lakh trainees, only 10.5 lakh seats get filled.
- The quality of ITIs and social acceptance of ITIs is low.
- The quality of instructors is one of the main factors which influences the output of the trained candidates.
- Around 78.40% of all ITIs are operated by private entities while 21.59% of ITIs are government institutions.
- Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of ITIs. 66% of the total ITIs are in 5 states i.e. Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, and Maharashtra.
- The Directorate General of Training (DGT) is the apex organization for the development & coordination of vocational training activities in India.
Topic: State News/ West Bengal
11. Ministry of Education demanded special audit of implementation of PM Poshan Scheme in West Bengal for last 3 financial years.
- Ministry of Education has received reports of misuse of funds in West Bengal under the PM Poshan Scheme.
- Office of CAG is empowered to conduct the audit under Regulations on Audit and Accounts (Amendment) 2020 framed in pursuance of Section 23 of the CAG (Duties, Powers and Conditions of Service) Act, 1971, (Act No 56 of 1971).
- Under the PM Poshan Yojana, funds are provided for one hot cooked meal to children in classes I to VIII and kindergarten based on proposals received from states. Department of School Education and Literacy administers the scheme.
- Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman (PM POSHAN) Scheme:
- It was earlier known as the National Programme of Mid-day meal in schools.
- It is centrally sponsored scheme under the National Food Security Act, 2013.
- The main aim of the scheme is to improve the nutritional status of children studying in classes I-VIII in eligible schools.
- It also aims to encourage poor children, belonging to disadvantaged sections, to attend school regularly.
12. NTPC has won “ATD Best Awards 2023” for Talent Development.
- NTPC has bagged “ATD Best Awards 2023” for the sixth consecutive year.
- NTPC has been awarded by the Association for Talent Development (ATD), USA.
- NTPC has won this award for demonstrating enterprise success in the field of talent development.
- The Association for Talent Development, USA is the world's largest association in the field of talent development. ATD Best Award is the most prestigious recognition in Learning and Development.
- NTPC is the largest power generating company in India. It is a PSU founded in 1975. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
Topic: Art and Culture
13. 108 pilgrims of South Korea will visit Buddhist sites in India and Nepal.
- As a part of celebrations of 50 years of diplomatic ties between India and South Korea, 108 pilgrims will visit Buddhist sites in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar from 9 February to 23 March 2023.
- The walking pilgrimage will start from Varanasi and will end at Shravasti after travelling through Nepal.
- Buddhist tourism circuit is one of the 15 thematic circuits under the Swadesh Darshan scheme. It aims to provide travellers with experience of teachings of Lord Buddha and traces of his footsteps during his lifetime.
- There are four primary sites of Buddhism pilgrimage:
- Lumbini (southern Nepal)- birthplace of Buddha
- Bodh Gaya (Bihar, India)- site where Buddha attained enlightenment
- Sarnath (Uttar Pradesh, India)- First sermon delivered by Buddha
- Kushinagar (Uttar Pradesh, India)- Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana
- Other Buddhist sites are-
- Kapilavastu in Uttar Pradesh- childhood home of Buddha
- Rajgir in Bihar- First capital of kingdom of Magadha
- Shravasti in Uttar Pradesh - Buddha spent 24 chaturmasas here
- Vaishali in Bihar - Buddha gave his last sermon
Topic: Banking System
14. PhonePe has become first fintech in India to allow UPI payments abroad.
- PhonePe has started a service wherein the users travelling abroad can pay foreign merchants using UPI.
- Users will be allowed to make payments directly in a foreing currency from their Indian bank.
- International merchant outlets in the UAE, Singapore, Mauritius, Nepal and Bhutan that have a local QR code are supported.
- PhonePe has claimed that it is the first Indian fintech app to launch such service.
- In January 2023, NPCI has permitted UPI transactions for non-resident bank accounts connected to mobile numbers of 10 countries.
- PhonePe is a Bangalore-based Indian digital payments and financial services company. It was founded by Sameer Nigam, Rahul Chari and Burzin Engineer in 2015.
- Unified Payments Interface (UPI):
- It is an instant real-time payment system for transferring money in bank accounts.
- It was launched in 2016.
- It was developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).