- 1. Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar, presented Agriculture Infra Fund awards.
- 2. Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnav inaugurated the gauge conversion of Badi Sadri-Mawli railway section in Chittorgarh.
- 3. McKinney fire burned 51,000 acres within two days in Northern California.
- 4. Michelle Obama's book 'The Light We Carry' will be released in November 2022.
- 5. “Exercise VINBAX 2022” began at Chandimandir in Haryana.
- 6. ‘Mahtari Nyay Rath Yatra’ launched by Chhattisgarh CM.
- 7. Indo-Oman joint military exercise AL NAJAH-IV began in Rajasthan.
- 8. Mirabai Chanu won India’s first gold medal in the Women’s 49 kilogram event at Birmingham.
- 9. Sanjay Arora has been appointed as the new Commissioner of the Delhi Police.
- 10. Union Minister Sarbanand Sonowal inaugurated the Chahabar Day conference in Mumbai.
- 11. Roshni Nadar continues to be the richest woman in India followed by Falguni Nayar.
- 12. Election Commission of India has allowed 17 years old citizens to enroll in voter’s list.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: Awards and Prizes
1. Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar, presented Agriculture Infra Fund awards.
- The awards felicitate contribution of various Banks and States and different field functionaries to the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund (AIF) scheme.
- State Bank of India achieved first position among the best performing banks. It is followed by Punjab National Bank and Bank of India.
- In the second category, banks were awarded for their valuable contribution. In this category, Bank of Baroda achieved first rank.
- It is followed by Central Bank of India, Canara Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- In the Target Achievers Category, Punjab National Bank, Canara Bank, HDFC Bank, Bank of Maharashtra, Punjab & Sind Bank and Karnataka Bank were awarded.
- Madhya Pradesh Gramin Bank was best among the best performing Regional Rural Banks.
- It was followed by Madhyanchal Gramin Bank, Maharashtra Gramin Bank, Baroda Rajasthan Kshetriya Gramin Bank.
- In the state category, Madhya Pradesh was adjudged the best performing state.
- Andhra Pradesh recognised as best performer in sanction of PACS applications.
- As the best performer in faster disposal of PACS applications, Karnataka was awarded.
- Rajasthan was declared the Rising State under AIF.
- Agri Infra Fund:
- Its second foundation day will be celebrated next month. It was launched two years ago under Aatmanirbhar Bharat Package.
- It was launched as a dedicated Central Government scheme that provides medium-long term credit facility for investment in creation of post-harvest management infrastructure and community farming assets.
- This credit facility comes with financial support by way of three per cent Interest subvention from Government and credit guarantee by Credit Guarantee fund Trust for Micro and Small Enterprises (CGTMSE) fee up to two crore rupees.
Topic: State News/ Rajasthan
2. Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnav inaugurated the gauge conversion of Badi Sadri-Mawli railway section in Chittorgarh.
- He flagged off Badi Sadri-Udaipur City daily special through a video link in the program organized at Badi Sadri in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan.
- He also flagged off Rewa (Madhya Pradesh)-Udaipur City (Rajasthan) weekly special through a video link in the program organized at Badi Sadri in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan.
- He also flagged off Siuri-Sealdah MEMU train in West Bengal through a video link in the program organized at Badi Sadri in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan.
- He said that work to make Udaipur City Railway world-class would be begun soon.
- He announced to make Chittorgarh station a world-class station.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
3. McKinney fire burned 51,000 acres within two days in Northern California.
- The blaze named the ‘McKinney fire’ is the largest fire in California this year.
- The McKinney fire started in Siskiyou County near the California-Oregon border on 29 July.
- It has spread over more than 51,000 acres near the city of Yreka. It has badly affected the Oak Knoll Ranger District of the Klamath National Forest.
- The McKinney Fire generated an enormous pyrocumulonimbus cloud, which reached up to 50,000 feet into the troposphere and stratosphere.
- As the McKinney Fire intensified, California Governor Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency. More than 2,000 residents were evacuated from the region.
- Two other fires burning in Siskiyou County -- the China 2 and Evans fire have burned more than 300 acres.
- Causes of fire forest:
- Due to lightning and thunderstorm, forest fire incidents occur.
- Dried leaves are more vulnerable to fire and even a spark leads to a raging fire.
- It can be caused due to human carelessness like throwing cigarettes.
Topic: Books and Authors
4. Michelle Obama's book 'The Light We Carry' will be released in November 2022.
- It will be published by Crown on 15 November 2022.
- Michelle's first book 'Becoming' was an international bestseller. More than 17 million copies of the book were sold around the world.
- The book titled 'The Light We Carry' will be released in 14 languages and 27 countries.
- The book comprises a series of fresh stories and insightful reflections on change, challenge, and power.
- Michelle Obama is the former first lady of the United States of America.
5. “Exercise VINBAX 2022” began at Chandimandir in Haryana.
- On 1 August, the third edition of the "Ex VINBAX 2022" bilateral army exercise started between Vietnam and India at Chandimandir.
- The exercise will be held till 20 August.
- The exercise is a sequel to the bilateral exercise conducted earlier in Vietnam in 2019 and marks a major milestone in strengthening bilateral ties between both countries.
- The theme of Ex VINBAX 2022 is “employment and deployment of an Engineer Company and a Medical Team as part of United Nations Contingent for Peace Keeping Operations”.
- The Indian Army and Vietnam People's Army will build mutual confidence and interoperability and will share best practices.
- The 105 Engineer Regiment troops are representing the Indian Army.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Chhattisgarh
6. ‘Mahtari Nyay Rath Yatra’ launched by Chhattisgarh CM.
- The “Mukhyamantri Mahtari Nyay Rath Yatra” was organized by the Chhattisgarh Women Commission to educate women in the state about their constitutional rights and laws.
- On the occasion of the Hareli Tihaar festival, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel flagged off the "Mukhyamantri Mahtari Nyay Rath" (chariots).
- The chariots travelled to all districts to raise awareness about women's legal rights through short films, messages, and booklets.
- There were two lawyers in each chariot. They listened to women's complaints and gave them information and advice.
- Women submitted their applications through these chariots to the Women's Commission for redressal of their grievances.
- The state is ranked 9th in terms of area in the country. It has 27 districts.
- Capital of Chhattisgarh: Raipur
- Governor of Chhattisgarh: Anusuiya Uikey
- Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh: Bhupesh Baghel
- Folk dances of Chhattisgarh: Saila Dance, Karma, Sua Nacha, Panthi Dance, Raut Nacha, etc.
- It has a major reserve of coal, iron ore, limestone, bauxite, and dolomite.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
|April Monthly Current Affairs||March Monthly Current Affairs|
7. Indo-Oman joint military exercise AL NAJAH-IV began in Rajasthan.
- AL NAJAH-IV is a joint military exercise between contingents of the Indian Army and the Royal Army of Oman.
- AL NAJAH-IV started on 01 August 2022 at the Foreign Training Node of Mahajan Field Firing Range in Bikaner, Rajasthan. It would conclude on August 13.
- It aims to enhance defence cooperation between the Indian Army and the Royal Army of Oman.
- The Indian Army is represented by troops from the 18 Mechanised Infantry Battalion.
- The previous edition of Ex AL NAJAH-IV was held at Muscat from 12 to 25 March 2019.
(Source: News on AIR)
8. Mirabai Chanu won India’s first gold medal in the Women’s 49 kilogram event at Birmingham.
- Bindyarani Devi Sorokhaibam won second Silver medal for India in Women's 55 Kg category.
- Gururaja Poojary won the bronze medal in the Men's 61-kilogram finals.
- At the Birmingham Commonwealth Games, India defeated Pakistan by 8 wickets in women’s cricket.
- Jeremy Lalrinnunga wins India’s second gold medal in men's 67 kg weightlifting at Commonwealth Games 2022.
- India's Shiva Thapa lost to Reece Lynch of Scotland in Men's Boxing Light Welterweight category.
Topic: National Appointments
9. Sanjay Arora has been appointed as the new Commissioner of the Delhi Police.
- He replaced Rakesh Asthana and assumed the charge on 1 August.
- Earlier, He had taken the charge of DG ITBP on 31 August 2021 as the 31st Chief.
- He is the recipient of many awards including the Police Special Duty medal, Antrik Suraksha Padak and the UN Peacekeeping medal.
- Delhi Police:
- It works under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- It is the law enforcement agency for the National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT).
- The Delhi Police Act was passed in 1978, which introduced the Commissioner System.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
10. Union Minister Sarbanand Sonowal inaugurated the Chahabar Day conference in Mumbai.
- Representatives from Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Afghanistan took part in the conference.
- Chabahar port will be part of the International North-South Transport Corridor network connecting India.
- Chabahar port will open new avenues for India and Eurasian countries and it is an important pillar of India’s Indo-Pacific vision to connect Eurasia with the Indian Ocean Region.
- Chabahar Port:
- Chabahar is a port located on the coast of the Gulf of Oman.
- It consists of two separate ports named Shahid Kalantri and Shahid Beheshti.
- It is strategically important for India as it provides connectivity to Iran and Afghanistan bypassing Pakistan.
- It is jointly developed by India, Iran and Afghanistan.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Reports and Indices
11. Roshni Nadar continues to be the richest woman in India followed by Falguni Nayar.
- Beauty product focused brand Nykaa owner, Falguni Nayar, is the richest self-made woman with a net worth of Rs 57,520 crore, as per the Kotak Private Banking-Hurun list 2021.
- Nayar saw a 963% increase in her wealth in 2021. Nayar is the second richest woman overall.
- HCL Technologies’ chairperson Roshni Nadar’s net worth increased 54% to Rs 84,330 crore in 2021.
- Net worth of Biocon’s Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw declined 21%. She is third richest woman in the country with a wealth of Rs 29,030 crore.
- The list of 100 women includes only Indian women, who are born or brought up in India and who are actively managing their businesses or are self-made.
- These 100 women now contribute 2 percent of India’s nominal GDP.
- Kanika Tekriwal (33 years old) of Bhopal-based Jetsetgo is the youngest self-made woman on the list.
- The list also includes three professional managers - Indra Nooyi, Renu Sud Karnad of HDFC and Shanti Ekambaram of Kotak Mahindra Bank.
Topic: Indian Polity
12. Election Commission of India has allowed 17 years old citizens to enroll in voter’s list.
- Now the voters turning 18 on 1 January of a year need not wait to enroll in the voter’s list.
- Those above the age of 17 can now apply in advance on 1 April, 1 July, 1 October and 1 January to get enrollment in the voter’s list.
- The Election Commission of India, in pursuance of the legal amendments in Section 14(b) of the RP Act 1950 and consequent modifications in Registration of Electors Rules, 1960, has initiated the process to bring required changes to prepare/revise the electoral roll of Assembly/Parliamentary Constituency.
- ECI has given an optional provision to link Aadhar details with the form. These newly modified forms have come into effect from 1 August 2022.
- 61st Constitutional Amendment Act 1988 lowered the voting age in India from 21 years to 18 years. Article 326 says that every citizen of India who is not less than 18 years of age is entitled to be registered as a voter at any such election.