Daily Current Affairs and GK | 1 December 2022
- 1. BIS inked MoU with 6 engineering institutes for making Indian standards part of the curriculum.
- 2. India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (Ind-Aus ECTA) will come into effect from 29 December 2022.
- 3. Manthan platform won NSEIT the Best Tech Initiative of the Year award at D&B Business Excellence Awards 2022 on 29th November 2022.
- 4. India formally took over the G20 presidency on 01 December 2022.
- 5. 60th statehood day of Nagaland: 01 December 2022
- 6. DG Shri VS Pathania commissioned 840 Sqn (CG) at ICG Air Station, Chennai on November 30, 2022.
- 7. “Sudarshan Prahar” exercise was conducted in Rajasthan.
- 8. 23rd Hornbill Festival began in Nagaland.
- 9. World Meteorological Organization released the State of Global Water Resources 2021 report.
- 10. Indian Immunologicals Ltd joined hands with the Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE) for developing India’s first fish vaccine.
- 11. Tata Sons announces merger of Vistara Airlines with Air India.
- 12. Prasoon Joshi becomes the brand ambassador of Uttarakhand.
- 13. India witnessed an important decline in the maternal mortality rate between 2018 and 2020.
- 14. World AIDS Day 2022: 1 December
YOGA Day OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code YOGA
1. BIS inked MoU with 6 engineering institutes for making Indian standards part of the curriculum.
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has signed MoU with the Indian Institute of Technology BHU, Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur, Indian Institute of Technology Indore, Indian Institute of Technology Patna, Indian Institute of Technology Madras and National Institute of Technology Trichy for establishing ‘BIS Standardization Chair Professor’ at these institutes.
- The initiative will promote excellence and leadership in teaching and research & development in the field of Science and various disciplines.
- The MoU with premium academic institutes would encourage youth involvement in the area of the standardization process.
- It will also promote standards formulation activity through Research & Development projects.
- Pramod Kumar Tiwari, Director General, BIS, said that there is a need to involve start-ups & incubation centres at Academic Institutions in formulating new standards.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS):
- It is a statutory body that was established by the Bureau of Indian Standards Act of 2016.
- It is an Indian national standard body that works under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- It is involved in the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods.
- Pramod Kumar Tiwari is the current Director General of BIS.
2. India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (Ind-Aus ECTA) will come into effect from 29 December 2022.
- India and Australia have exchanged written notifications regarding ECTA.
- The Agreement will enter into force 30 days after this exchange of written notification between India and Australia according to Article 14.7 of the Agreement.
- Duties on 100 percent tariff lines are to be eliminated by Australia under the agreement.
- Total bilateral trade is expected to cross US$ 45-50 bn in 5 years from the existing US$ 31 bn.
- 10 lakh jobs would be created in India under ECTA.
- Indian Yoga teachers and chefs are set to benefit from the annual visa quota.
- Over 1 lakh Indian students would gain from post-study work visas (1.5-4 years).
- India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (Ind-Aus ECTA) was signed on 2 April 2022.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. Manthan platform won NSEIT the Best Tech Initiative of the Year award at D&B Business Excellence Awards 2022 on 29th November 2022.
- The award has been given for building the technology infrastructure to support Manthan.
- The award has been received by Dr Sapna Poti and Shri Anantharaman Sreenivasan, MD & CEO, NSEIT.
- Dr. Sapna Poti is the Director of Strategic Alliances Division, Office of Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India.
- Manthan is a platform that promotes collaboration between industry and the scientific research and development ecosystem.
- It was launched on India’s 76th Independence Day (15 August 2022). NSEIT team designed and implemented Manthan.
- The Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India has conceptualized and implemented the development of the platform.
- National Stock Exchange of India (NSEIT) Limited is a 100% subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange of India.
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Excellence Awards 2022 covers 23 categories largely based on business performance parameters.
Topic: International News
4. India formally took over the G20 presidency on 01 December 2022.
- 100 monuments will be lit up with the G20 logo to mark the occasion.
- G20 logo takes inspiration from colors of national flag of India.
- It juxtaposes Earth with Lotus. India’s national flower Lotus reflects growth amid challenges.
- The Earth reflects India’s pro-planet approach to life.
- Bharat is written in Devanagari script below the G20 logo.
- The theme of India’s G20 Presidency is Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam or One Earth One Family One Future.
- The G20 leader’s Summit will be held in New Delhi in September 2023.
- India was handed over the presidency of G20 at the closing ceremony of previous G20 summit hosted in Bali by Indonesia in November.
Topic: Important Days
5. 60th statehood day of Nagaland: 01 December 2022
- Nagaland celebrated its 60th statehood day on 01 December 2022.
- It became the 16th State of the Union of India on 1st December 1963.
- Nagaland CM launched the SAHYOG project of Nagaland Police and also flagged off Nagaland Police Special Operation Group Vehicles.
- ‘Project SAHYOG’ is a medical assistance project for Nagaland Indian Reserve (IR) personnel and their families.
- It is a landlocked state in the northeastern region of India.
- It is bordered by Arunachal Pradesh to the north, Assam to the west, Manipur to the south and the Sagaing Region of Myanmar to the east.
- Its capital is Kohima. Dzüko Valley is located at Viswema, in the southern region of Nagaland.
- Chief Minister of Nagaland: Neiphiu Rio
- Governor of Nagaland: Prof Jagdish Mukhi
6. DG Shri VS Pathania commissioned 840 Sqn (CG) at ICG Air Station, Chennai on November 30, 2022.
- 840 Sqn (CG) is an Indian Coast Guard Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Mk-III squadron.
- The commissioning of 840 Sqn (CG) has been done in a major effort to further strengthen Coast Guard Region.
- The commissioning of 840 Sqn (CG) is an indication that the country is fast moving towards self-reliance in the field of helicopter manufacturing.
- This will greatly enhance the capabilities of the Indian Coast Guard for security in the sensitive maritime zones of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
- A total of 16 ALH Mk-III helicopters have been inducted into the Indian Coast Guard in a phased manner.
- Four of these helicopters have been deployed in Chennai.
- The ALH Mk-III helicopters are indigenously manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
7. “Sudarshan Prahar” exercise was conducted in Rajasthan.
- On 29 November, the “Sudarshan Prahar” exercise has been conducted by the Indian Army's Sudarshan Chakra Corps in the Rajasthan desert.
- During this period, attention was paid to increasing the synergy of combat power through the integration of security forces and the practice of new warfare techniques.
- ‘Agni Warrior’ exercise is also running between India and Singapore at Deolali from November 13 to December 3.
- ‘Garuda Shakti’ exercise was started between the Special Forces of India and Indonesia on November 21.
- ‘KazInd’ exercise will be conducted between India and Kazakhstan scheduled in mid-December.
- Recent Defence Exercise:
November 15 to December 2
November 28 to December 11
November 13 to December 3
November 28 to December 12
Topic: State News/ Nagaland
8. 23rd Hornbill Festival began in Nagaland.
- On December 1, the 10-day-long Hornbill Festival 2022 began at Naga heritage village Kisama. It will be organized till 10 December.
- Vice President Jagdeep Khankhar attended the inaugural function as the chief guest.
- A budget of Rs five crore has been allocated for this ten-day festival.
- The aim of the festival is to revive and protect the rich culture of Nagaland.
- The Hornbill Festival is also known as the “Festival of Festivals” in Nagaland.
- It is named after the Indian hornbill forest bird, displayed in the folklore of Naga tribes.
- A total of 132 stalls have been set up in Kisama, out of which 100 stalls have been set up by Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises and 32 temporary stalls.
- Apart from this, a host of activities like daily cultural programs, the Hornbill Music Festival, photo fest, Hortiscape, and so forth are organized in this 10-day festival.
- Other festivals celebrated in Nagaland are Sekrenyi, Tsukheneye, Aoleang, Naknyulem, etc.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
9. World Meteorological Organization released the State of Global Water Resources 2021 report.
- According to the State of Global Water Resources 2021 report, around 3.6 billion people are facing inadequate water access for at least a month per year.
- The number is projected to reach more than 5 billion by 2050. The report has assessed the effects of climate, environmental and societal change.
- As per the report, due to the influence of climate change and La Nina in 2021, drier condition than normal has been recorded in a larger part of the world.
- Between 2001 and 2018, around 74% of natural disasters were water-related.
- In COP-27, governments were urged to integrate water further into adaptation efforts. For the first time, water has been referenced in a COP outcome document.
- The report's main aim is to fill the knowledge gap, which will help get universal access to early warnings of hazards.
- Frequent droughts, extreme flooding, erratic seasonal rainfall and melting of glaciers are the significant impact of climate change through the water.
- World Meteorological Organization: It is a specialized agency of the United Nations for promoting international cooperation on atmospheric science, climatology, hydrology, and geophysics.
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
10. Indian Immunologicals Ltd joined hands with the Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE) for developing India’s first fish vaccine.
- This vaccine will protect freshwater fish from common bacterial diseases.
- It will provide technology for inactivated bacterial vaccines for Columnaris Disease and Edwardsiellosis.
- Both diseases are very common in freshwater fish and are considered to be ubiquitous.
- Theileria vaccine, FMD+HS+BQ combination vaccine, and porcine cysticercosis vaccine are just a few of the veterinary vaccines that Indian Immunologicals Ltd. (IIL) developed first in the world.
- With the technology transfer from various fisheries institutes under ICAR, IIL is planning to develop vaccines and immunostimulants.
- The Indian Immunologicals Ltd (IIL) develops solutions for the problems faced by Indian fish farmers in their farm production system.
- Currently, no fish vaccine is available in India to prevent aquaculture infections.
- India is the 3rd largest fish producer in the world, and 65% of India’s fish is produced from Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture.
- The Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE) is an Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) institute.
Topic: Companies/ Corporates
11. Tata Sons announces merger of Vistara Airlines with Air India.
- The merger of Vistara into Air India has been announced by Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines (SIA) on 29 November 2022.
- Following the merger, Tata Sons will own 74.9% of the AI-Vistara-AI Express- AirAsia India Pvt Ltd (AAIPL) combined entity and SIA will have the remaining stake.
- As soon as the merger will get complete, Singapore Airlines will invest $250 million increasing the value of new Air India at around $1 billion.
- Air India will become the only Indian airline group to offer both full-service and low-cost passenger services as a result of the merger.
- Natarajan Chandrasekaran is Chairman of the board of Tata Sons.
Topic: Personality in News
12. Prasoon Joshi becomes the brand ambassador of Uttarakhand.
- CEO and COO of McCann Worldgroup India, Prasoon Joshi, has been named as the brand ambassador of Uttarakhand.
- Prasoon Joshi is a highly awarded member of the Indian advertising and media fraternity.
- Mr. Joshi is an eminent poet, lyricist and current chairman of the Board of Film Certification.
- He has also received Padma Shri. He was also awarded the Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman for his contributions to art, literature, culture and advertising.
- Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman and Uttarakhand Ratna are two highest civilian awards of Uttarakhand that are given for achievements in different fields.
Topic: National News
13. India witnessed an important decline in the maternal mortality rate between 2018 and 2020.
- According to the Office of the Registrar General of India, in the year 2014-16, this rate was 130 per lakh, which decreased to 97 per lakh in the year 2018-20.
- According to RGI, the Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) in India has improved by a remarkable 6 points and now stands at 97/ lakh live births.
- Maternal mortality rate (MMR) is defined as the number of maternal deaths during a given time period per 100,000 live births.
- As per the data from Sample Registration System (SRS), the country has seen a progressive reduction in MMR.
- It has been 130 in 2014-2016, 122 in 2015-17, 113 in 2016-18, 103 in 2017-19 and 97 in 2018-20.
- India has achieved the National Health Policy (NHP) target for MMR of less than 100/lakh live births.
- To achieve the goal of sustainable development in the country, the aim is to bring it down to 70 per lakh by the year 2030.
- The number of states that have achieved the Sustainable Development Goals has increased from six to eight.
- Kerala (19) is at the forefront of these. It is followed by Maharashtra (33), Telangana (43), Andhra Pradesh (45), Tamil Nadu (54), Jharkhand (56), Gujarat (57) and finally Karnataka (69).
- Under the National Health Mission (NHM), since 2014, India has made a concerted effort to provide accessible quality maternal and newborn health services and reduce the preventable maternal mortality ratio.
- Government schemes such as “Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram” and “Janani Suraksha Yojana” have been revised and upgraded to more assured and dignified service delivery schemes such as Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan (SUMAN).
Topic: Important Days
14. World AIDS Day 2022: 1 December
- Every year on 1 December, World AIDS Day is celebrated worldwide.
- World AIDS Day is an important opportunity to raise awareness, remember those who have died and celebrate positive achievements in dealing with AIDS like greater opportunities for treatment and prevention of AIDS.
- The theme of World AIDS Day 2022 is “Equalize.”
- In 1988, the first World AIDS Day was celebrated.
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) targets the immune system and weakens people’s defense against many infections and some types of cancer.
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is the most advanced stage of HIV infection.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|