Daily Current Affairs and GK | 15 November 2022
- 1. 7th edition of the Amur Falcon Festival was celebrated in the Tamenglong district of Manipur on 14 November.
- 2. 17th G20 Summit begins in Bali, Indonesia.
- 3. National Sports Awards 2022 has been announced by Youth Affairs and Sports Ministry.
- 4. Sri Lanka will host 2024 Under-19 men’s T-20 World Cup.
- 5. International Gita Mahotsav will be organized in Kurukshetra from November 19 to December 6 in Haryana.
- 6. Prasar Bharati appointed Senior IAS officer Gaurav Dwivedi as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- 7. 3rd edition of pan-India coastal defence exercise Sea Vigil-22 started from 15 November 2022.
- 8. Pakistan and Bangladesh will be among the first recipients of funding from a G7 ‘Global Shield’ initiative.
- 9. Shlok Mukherjee wins Doodle for Google contest 2022.
- 10. 53rd edition of the International Film Festival of India will be organized in Goa from 20 to 28 November 2022.
- 11. East Timor will join as the 11th member of ASEAN.
- 12. 55th National Library Week inaugurated in Vijayawada on 14th November.
- 13. India’s industrial production increased 3.1% in September.
- 14. Slovenia has elected Natasa Pirc Musar as its first female President.
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
Topic: State News/ Manipur
1. 7th edition of the Amur Falcon Festival was celebrated in the Tamenglong district of Manipur on 14 November.
- The festival is organized to spread awareness about the conservation of the Amur falcon.
- The Amur falcon is the world’s longest-flying migratory bird.
- The Manipur forest authority celebrated the Amur Falcon Festival in Tamenglong district headquarters.
- It is being organized from 2015 in the first or second week of November to strengthen the human-nature relationship.
- Amur falcons are protected under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972 and included under Scheduled IV.
- Amur falcons migrate to their wintering grounds in South Africa and reach India during October in Nagaland and Manipur.
- Amur falcon’s radio-tagging programme was started in Manipur in 2018 as part of an initiative to conserve wildlife.
- India is a signatory of an international agreement on the conservation of migratory birds of prey.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
2. 17th G20 Summit begins in Bali, Indonesia.
- PM Modi along with other top global leaders is attending the summit.
- During the Summit, G20 Leaders will discuss different issues under the theme of “Recover Together, Recover Stronger”.
- The summit will focus on global economic recovery, global health architecture, digital transformation, sustainable energy transition and climate change.
- The working sessions will be also held as part of the G20 Summit Agenda.
- At the closing session of the Summit, the Indonesian President will hand over the G20 Presidency to India.
- India will formally assume the G20 Presidency on 1st December.
- The Prime Minister will also hold bilateral meetings with world leaders at the G20 summit.
- It is the main forum for international cooperation on financial and economic issues.
- It comprises 19 countries and the European Union.
- It was created in 1999.
- It accounts for about 86 per cent of the gross world product and 75 per cent of global trade.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. National Sports Awards 2022 has been announced by Youth Affairs and Sports Ministry.
- The National Sports Awards 2022 winners will get their awards from President Droupadi Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 30th November 2022.
- Table Tennis player Sharath Kamal Achanta has been selected for Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award.
- Arjuna Awards will be given to 25 sportspersons. Some of them are given in the next table.
Deep Grace Ekka
Sagar Kailas Ovhalkar
Manasi Girishchandra Joshi
- Three coaches have been selected for Dronacharya Award in the lifetime category and four coaches in regular category.
Dronacharya Award for outstanding coaches in Sports and Games 2022
Jiwanjot Singh Teja (Archery)
Dinesh Jawahar Lad (Cricket)
Mohammad Ali Qamar (Boxing)
Bimal Prafulla Ghosh (Football)
Suma Siddharth Shirur (Para Shooting)
Raj Singh (Wrestling)
Sujeet Maan (Wrestling)
- Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime Achievement in Sports and Games will be given to four sportspersons.
- These sportspersons include Ashwini Akkunji C, Dharamvir Singh, B.C Suresh and Nir Bahadur Gurung.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2022 will be given to Guru Nanak Dev University of Amritsar.
Entity recommended for Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar, 2022
Identification and Nurturing of Budding and Young Talent
TransStadia Enterprises Private Limited
Encouragement to sports through Corporate Social Responsibility
Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology
Sports for Development
Ladakh Ski & Snowboard Association
4. Sri Lanka will host 2024 Under-19 men’s T-20 World Cup.
- The 2026 edition will be organized in Zimbabwe and Namibia.
- The 2025 Under-19 women’s T20 World Cup will be held in Malaysia and Thailand.
- Bangladesh and Nepal will jointly host 2027 Under-19 women’s T20 World Cup.
- 2023 ICC Under-19 Women's T20 World Cup will be the first edition of the ICC Women's Under-19 Cricket World Cup.
- 2023 ICC Under-19 Women's T20 World Cup is scheduled to be hosted by South Africa in 2023.
Topic: State News/ Haryana
5. International Gita Mahotsav will be organized in Kurukshetra from November 19 to December 6 in Haryana.
- President Draupadi Murmu will attend this grand festival of the Holy Gita and will participate in Gita Yagya at Brahma Sarovar.
- 21 special stone sculptures created by sculptors from all throughout the nation are based on themes from the Mahabharata and the Gita.
- A three-day International Gita Seminar will also be inaugurated by President at Kurukshetra University.
- In 2022, Nepal is the partner country, and Madhya Pradesh is the partner state of the festival.
- From November 19 to December 6, a Saras and Craft Mela will also be held.
- The Haryana CM also stated that six museums will be established at Kurukshetra at a cost of around Rs 250 crore, where episodes from the Mahabharata and the Gita will be displayed digitally.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: National Appointment
6. Prasar Bharati appointed Senior IAS officer Gaurav Dwivedi as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- After the recommendation of the Selection Committee, the President appointed Gaurav Dwivedi for a period of five years.
- Prior to this, Mr. Dwivedi was the Chief Executive Officer of MyGovIndia, the government's citizen engagement platform.
- From 2017 to 2022, Shashi Shekhar Vempati had served as the CEO of Prasar Bharati.
- Doordarshan Director General Mayank Agarwal was given the additional charge of CEO Prasar Bharati on June 2022, after Mr. Vempati completed his five-year term.
- Prasar Bharati was formed in November 1997. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
(Source: News on Air)
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
7. 3rd edition of pan-India coastal defence exercise Sea Vigil-22 started from 15 November 2022.
- It will be carried out along the entire 7,516 kilometer coastline and Exclusive Economic Zone of India.
- It will involve all the Coastal States and Union Territories.
- This exercise was conceptualized in 2018 to validate various initiatives put in place to improve maritime security since the 26/11 terror attack.
- The two-day exercise is being undertaken by the Indian Navy in coordination with the Coast Guard and other ministries.
- In addition to the Ministry of Defence, the conduct of Sea Vigil-22 is also being facilitated by the Ministries of Home Affairs, Ports Shipping and Waterways, Petroleum and Natural Gas etc.
- The exercise is a build-up to the major Theatre Level Readiness Operational Exercise (TROPEX). Indian Navy conducts TROPEX every two years.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
8. Pakistan and Bangladesh will be among the first recipients of funding from a G7 ‘Global Shield’ initiative.
- G7 ‘Global Shield’ initiative aims to provide funding to countries suffering climate disasters.
- The Global Shield is being coordinated by G7 president Germany.
- It aims to provide climate-vulnerable countries with rapid access to insurance and disaster protection funds after a flood or drought.
- It is being developed in collaboration with the ‘V20’ group of 58 climate-vulnerable economies.
- Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Fiji, Ghana, Pakistan, the Philippines and Senegal are listed as some of the initial recipients of Global Shield packages.
- 'Global Shield' plan launched at the COP27 climate summit aims to rapidly deliver money to poor nations after disasters.
- It is backed by 170 million euros ($175.17 million) in funding from Germany and 40 million euros from other donors including Denmark and Ireland.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. Shlok Mukherjee wins Doodle for Google contest 2022.
- Shlok Mukherjee from Kolkata has won the Doodle for Google contest 2022.
- He won the award for his inspiring Doodle titled ‘India on the centre stage’.
- Shlok’s Doodle was featured on Google.co.in for 24 hours on November 14th, 2022.
- The theme of the contest was “In the next 25 years, my India will”.
- Actors Neena Gupta, Alika Bhat, Kuriakose Vaisian and the Google Doodle team were part of the judging panel.
- The panel evaluated entries based on artistic merit, approach, and relevance to the theme.
- The Doodle for Google competition’s aim is to encourage creativity and imagination in young people.
- In addition to the national winner, 4 group winners were also selected.
10. 53rd edition of the International Film Festival of India will be organized in Goa from 20 to 28 November 2022.
- Around 280 films from 79 countries will be screened this year.
- 25 feature films and 20 non-feature films from India will be showcased in the ‘Indian Panorama’.
- The Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award will be given to Spanish film director Carlos Saura.
- Caravans will be deployed throughout Goa, and movies will be screened.
- It will be jointly organized by the Directorate of Film Festivals, under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the government of Goa.
- The feature film jury, headed by Vinod Ganatra, comprised 12 members.
- The ‘Homage’ section will include fifteen Indian and five international films.
- Shigmotsav (Spring Festival) on 26th November and Goa Carnival on 27th November 2022 will be the main attraction.
Topic: International News
11. East Timor will join as the 11th member of ASEAN.
- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has given its in-principle approval to join East Timor as its 11th member.
- The nation is officially known as Timor Leste.
- The half-island nation will also be given observer status at important ASEAN gatherings.
- East Timorese voted in a 1999 U.N.-supervised referendum for independence from the brutal occupation by neighboring Indonesia.
- In 2002, the United Nations officially recognised the country, making it the youngest democratic country in Asia.
- The resource-rich country of 1.3 million people immediately began the process of joining ASEAN, but formally applied for membership in 2011.
- East Timor:
- It is an island country in Southeast Asia.
- It consists of the eastern half of the island of Timor, the Okus exclave on the northwestern half, and the smaller islands of Atauro and Jaco.
- Its capital is Dili. Its currency is the United States dollar (USD).
- Its President is José Ramos-Horta and Prime Minister is Taur Matan Ruak.
Topic: State news/Andhra Pradesh
12. 55th National Library Week inaugurated in Vijayawada on 14th November.
- All libraries in Andhra Pradesh will celebrate 55th National Library Week from 14th November.
- State ministers Teneti Vanitha, Botcha Satyanarayana, and Jogi Ramesh inaugurated a week-long function at Tummalapalli Kalakshetram.
- The celebrations will also give impetus to the 'We Love Reading' initiative of the Department of School Education.
- On November 16, veterans like SR Ranganathan, Pathuri Nagabhushanam, and Ayyanki Venkataramanaiah will be paid tributes for their contribution to the library movement in the state.
- Ayyanki Venkataramanya was the first person to initiate the Library Week celebrations every 14th of November.
Topic: Indian Economy
13. India’s industrial production increased 3.1% in September.
- In September 2021, the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) had grown 4.4%.
- A contraction of 0.8 percent was recorded in the previous month (August).
- According to the IIP data released by National Statistical Office, the manufacturing sector’s output increased by 1.8% in September 2022.
- The mining output grew 4.6% and power generation increased 11.6% during September 2022.
- The rise in September industrial growth to 3.1% was led by better performance of the mining and electricity sectors.
Topic: International Appointments
14. Slovenia has elected Natasa Pirc Musar as its first female President.
- Natasa Pirc Musar has been elected Slovenia’s first female President after beating her conservative rival in the second round of elections on 13 November.
- Ms. Pirc Musar won almost 54% of the vote. She defeated Mr. Logar who got just over 46% votes.
- She will succeed Borut Pahor as the President of Slovenia.
- It is located in central Europe. Ljubljana is its capital and largest city.
- It is bordered by Austria to the north, Italy to the west, Croatia to the southeast, Hungary to the northeast, and the Adriatic Sea to the southwest.
- The Prime minister of Slovenia is the head of the Government and is nominated by the president.
(Source: News on AIR)