- 1. K.K. Venugopal has been re-appointed as Attorney General for three months.
- 2. Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade released the Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) for May 2022 on 30 June 2022.
- 3. Neeraj Chopra won silver medal at Diamond League meet in Stockholm.
- 4. Four Indian cities are included in the list of top 20 sustainable cities according to Asia Pacific Sustainability Index 2021.
- 5. Eknath Shinde sworn in as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- 6. International Asteroid Day 2022: 30 June
- 7. GST Day: 1 July
- 8. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman released an assessment report of States/UTs based on the implementation of BRAP 2020.
- 9. Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao inaugurated the world’s largest innovation centre in Hyderabad.
- 10. India’s urban population will reach 675 mn in 2035: United Nations-Habitat’s World Cities Report 2022.
- 11. PM Narendra Modi addressed Udyami Bharat Programme in New Delhi.
- 12. Aurangabad renamed as Sambhajinagar and Osmanabad as Dharashiv.
- 13. Sandeep Kumar Gupta to be the next chairman of GAIL.
- 14. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. takes oath as 17th President of the Philippines.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: National Appointments
1. K.K. Venugopal has been re-appointed as Attorney General for three months.
- He was appointed by the President as Attorney General of India in July 2017. His present tenure ended on June 30.
- He is not willing to continue in the constitutional post due to "personal reasons”.
- He has appeared in many cases related to Constitutional and corporate law.
- Attorney General of India:
- He is the chief legal advisor of the government.
- He is appointed by President under the Article 76 of the Indian Constitution.
- He has the right to participate in the proceedings of both the house but he cannot vote in the parliament.
- M. C. Setalvad was the first Attorney General of India.
Topic: Indian Economy
2. Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade released the Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) for May 2022 on 30 June 2022.
- The combined ICI increased at 18.1% (provisional) in May 2022 as compared to the Index of May 2021. In May 2022, the Index stood at 148.1.
- Core industries output recorded growth of 18.1% in May 2022 against 16.4% in the corresponding month of previous year (May 2021).
- The final growth rate of ICI for February 2022 has been revised to 5.9% from its provisional level of 5.8%.
- In May 2022, the cement industry recorded the highest growth of 26.3%.
- Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI):
- It measures combined and individual performance of production in selected eight core industries.
- The eight core industries are Coal, Crude Oil, Natural Gas, Refinery Products, Fertilizers, Steel, Cement and Electricity.
- The Eight Core Industries comprise 40.27% of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
3. Neeraj Chopra won silver medal at Diamond League meet in Stockholm.
- He won his first-ever medal at Diamond League meet in Stockholm.
- He broke his own national record for the second time in a month.
- He finished second with a throw of 89.94 meter. World champion Anderson Peters won the event with a throw of 90.31 meters.
- Neeraj Chopra broke the record of 89.30 meters. He set this record at the Paavo Nurmi Games in Turku earlier this month.
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra is the first Indian who won a gold medal in athletics at the Olympics.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Reports and Indices
4. Four Indian cities are included in the list of top 20 sustainable cities according to Asia Pacific Sustainability Index 2021.
- These cities are Bengaluru, Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai.
- Bengaluru was ranked 14th in the APAC region. It is the only Indian city to achieve the ‘Gold’ standard category.
- Delhi ranked second amongst the Indian cities (ranked 17th in the APAC region).
- Hyderabad ranked third among the Indian cities and 18th in the APAC region. Mumbai is in the 20th position in the APAC region.
- India is the sixth-largest country in APAC based on the total amount of green bonds issued in 2021.
- According to statistics provided by the Climate Bonds Initiative, China issued the largest amount of green bonds in APAC in 2021.
- Global property consultant, Knight Frank’s APAC Sustainably Led Cities Index rated 36 cities on the basis of four parameters.
- These parameters are urbanisation pressure, climate risk, carbon emissions and government initiatives.
- Top five green-rated cities in commercial real estate in the Asia-Pacific region are Singapore, Sydney, Wellington, Perth, and Melbourne.
Topic: State News/Maharashtra
5. Eknath Shinde sworn in as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- Devendra Fadnavis took oath as Deputy Chief Minister.
- On 29 June, Uddhav Thackeray stepped down as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- The Governor of Maharashtra has asked Chief Minister Shinde to prove the majority of his government in the state assembly on July 2.
- On July 2, the assembly's Speaker will also be elected.
- Shinde was serving as the Urban Development Minister in the previous Maha Vikas Aghadi government.
- Chief Minister:
- Chief Minister is the elected head of the government of a state.
- Article 164 states that the Chief Minister shall be appointed by the Governor and the other ministers shall be appointed on the advice of the Chief Minister.
- He advises the Governor regarding the appointment of other Ministers and decides the portfolios for them.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
6. International Asteroid Day 2022: 30 June
- Every year on June 30, World Asteroid Day is celebrated across the world.
- The purpose of World Asteroid Day is to increase public awareness about the dangers posed by asteroids.
- The theme of International Asteroid Day 2022 is “Small is beautiful.”
- It is celebrated on the anniversary of the 1908 Tunguska incident in Siberia.
- The UN declared June 30 as World Asteroid Day in December 2016.
- Asteroids are small rock-like structures that revolve around the Sun. These are found orbiting around the Sun between Mars and Jupiter.
- Two organizations were founded in 2013 and 2014 related to asteroids:
- Space Mission Planning Advisory Group (SMPAG): It assists nations in evaluating the potential effects of an asteroid impact and developing mitigating strategies.
- International Asteroid Warning Network (IAWN): It assists in determining the technology required for deflecting Near-Earth object.
Topic: Important Days
7. GST Day: 1 July
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated celebrations of the 5th GST Day on 01 July 2022 in New Delhi.
- A booklet, GST@5 was also released during the event.
- GST Day commemorates the implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- GST replaced the old indirect tax regime. It was launched on the intervening night of 30th June and 1st July, 2017.
- It was launched with the idea of One Nation- One Market- One Tax. It is an indirect consumption-based tax system.
- GST was brought to bring uniformity of tax rates, remove the cascading of taxes, improve competitiveness and for facilitating manufacturers and exporters.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
8. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman released an assessment report of States/UTs based on the implementation of BRAP 2020.
- In the report, seven states are listed as top achievers in the best performers category.
- These states are Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, and Punjab.
- This year, the report classifies states/UTs into four categories. These categories are Top Achievers, Achievers, Aspirers, and Emerging Business Ecosystems.
States/UTs included in the category
Top Achievers category
7 states (Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka and Punjab)
6 states (Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh)
7 States (Assam, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jharkhand, Kerala, Rajasthan, and West Bengal)
Emerging Business Ecosystems category
11 states and UTs (Andaman & Nicobar, Bihar, Chandigarh, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Delhi, Jammu & Kashmir, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Puducherry, and Tripura)
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has been releasing BRAP since 2014.
- So far 4 editions of the assessment of States/UTs have been released. The latest edition is the assessment of BRAP 2020.
- About Business Reforms Action Plan (BRAP) 2020:
- It includes 301 reform points. They cover 15 business regulatory areas such as Access to Information, Single Window System, Labour, Environment, Sectoral Reforms and other reforms.
- Sectoral reforms have been introduced for the first time in BRAP 2020 with 72 reforms across 9 key sectors.
Topic: State News/ Telangana
9. Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao inaugurated the world’s largest innovation centre in Hyderabad.
- T-Hub 2.0, the world’s largest innovation centre, has been inaugurated to incubate the next generation of startups.
- It is phase 2 of the T-Hub, which will support 2,000 startups in a total built-up area of 5,82,689 square feet.
- T-Hub will help young Indians to launch their startups with a collaborative innovation ecosystem.
- Telangana’s startup ecosystem is among the top10 global ecosystem in affordable talent and it is in the top 15 in Asia in terms of attracting funds.
- Hyderabad-based startups are providing valuable contributions in IT, life sciences, aerospace, etc.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
10. India’s urban population will reach 675 mn in 2035: United Nations-Habitat’s World Cities Report 2022.
- According to the United Nations-Habitat’s World Cities Report 2022, the global urban population will grow by 2.2 billion people by 2050.
- It states that rapid urbanization had temporarily stalled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- India’s urban population is projected to reach from 483,099,000 in 2020 to 675,456,000 in 2035. By 2035, India’s urban population percentage will be 43.2.
- China’s urban population is projected to reach 1.05 billion by 2035.
- The urban population in Asia will be 2.99 billion in 2035 and in South Asia, it will be 987,592,000.
- The report said that urban poverty and inequality will remain the key challenge for cities.
- Climate change challenges like warm climates, floods, and air pollution are the main challenges to the cities in the world.
Topic: National News
11. PM Narendra Modi addressed Udyami Bharat Programme in New Delhi.
- PM Narendra Modi also launched several schemes and programmes and distributed National MSME Awards.
- He launched the Raising and Accelerating MSME Performance (RAMP) Scheme and Capacity Building of First-Time MSME Exporters Scheme and the new features of the 'Prime Minister's Employment Generation Programme' (PMEGP).
- He announced the results of the MSME Idea Hackathon 2022 and distribute National MSME Awards 2022.
- He also issued Digital Equity Certificates to 75 MSMEs in Self Reliant India (SRI) Fund.
- The government had launched several initiatives for MSMEs like MUDRA Yojana, Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme, and Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries (SFURTI) etc.
- MSMEs’ share in India’s exports is around 48 per cent over the last few years. MSMEs contribute around one-third to India’s GDP.
- The Raising and Accelerating MSME Performance (RAMP) program is a World Bank-supported central sector scheme. It will help the MSME sector in becoming more resilient, competitive, and efficient.
- ‘Capacity Building of First-Time MSME Exporters’ (CBFTE) scheme has been launched to improve the quality of MSME products at par with international standards.
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
12. Aurangabad renamed as Sambhajinagar and Osmanabad as Dharashiv.
- Maharashtra government has cleared a proposal to rename Aurangabad as Sambhajinagar and Osmanabad as Dharashiv.
- The state government has also approved the proposal of the naming upcoming Navi Mumbai international airport after D B Patil.
- In 1653, Aurangzeb renamed Fatehnagar as Aurangabad. He shifted his court from Delhi to Aurangabad in 1681 to conduct his military campaigns in the Deccan.
- ‘Sambhajinagar’ is kept after Sambhaji Bhosale, the second Chhatrapati of the Maratha Empire.
- Osmanabad derives its name from the Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last ruler of Hyderabad. It is the seventh-largest city in Marathwada.
Topic: National Appointments
13. Sandeep Kumar Gupta to be the next chairman of GAIL.
- Sandeep Kumar Gupta has been selected as the new chairman and managing director of GAIL.
- He will take the place of Manoj Jain, who is scheduled to retire on August 31.
- The Public Enterprises Selection Board has recommended the name of Sandeep Kumar Gupta.
- He is currently serving as the Director for Finance at Indian Oil Corporation.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet will approve the appointment after the go-ahead by CVC and CBI
- It is India's largest gas transmission and gas marketing company.
- It has a 14,502-kilometre gas pipeline network and a capacity of 206 million standard cubic meters a day.
Topic: International Appointments
14. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. takes oath as 17th President of the Philippines.
- Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had won the elections in May by receiving 31.6 million votes.
- Marcos Jr. is popularly known as “Bongbong”. He took the oath at the National Museum of Fine Arts in Manila.
- Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will serve as President until 2028. Sara Duterte Carpio becomes the new Vice President.
- Ferdinand Marcos has taken place of Rodrigo Duterte, who served as the President of the Philippines from 2016 to 2022.
- The President heads the executive branch of the Philippines government. President is directly elected by the people.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
|April Monthly Current Affairs||March Monthly Current Affairs|