- 1. NHIDCL signed MoU with IIT-Roorkee for sharing innovative ideas and technology in the field of highway engineering.
- 2. AR Rahman has been selected as the ambassador of the Indo-UK culture platform.
- 3. 2nd edition of Awards for Excellence in District Skill Development Planning (DSDP) was held in New Delhi.
- 4. DIPAM organized a conference in 75 cities on the theme of creating wealth through the market on 10 June 2022.
- 5. India will host a Special ASEAN-India Foreign Ministers' Meeting (SAIFMM) on 16th and 17th June.
- 6. Ramkrishna Mukkavilli became the first Indian to be named by the UNGC as a global SDG pioneer.
- 7. Union Cabinet has given approval to MoU signed between National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), Japan and ARIES, India.
- 8. IDS, a multinational corporation, launched Polyversity (Educational Metaverse) on 6th June 2022.
- 9. Ministry of Power notified the Green Open Access Rules 2022 to support India's renewable energy programmes.
- 10. New York state legislature passed the world's first "right to repair" bill for digital electronics.
- 11. Department of Science and Technology (DST) launched the Self Certification Portal.
- 12. Himachal Pradesh become the first state to give approval to the drone policy.
- 13. NHAI sets a new Guinness World Record by constructing a 75-km long highway in 105 hrs.
- 14. European Parliament voted in favour to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
1. NHIDCL signed MoU with IIT-Roorkee for sharing innovative ideas and technology in the field of highway engineering.
- The MoU will play a key role in achieving the objectives of the government’s GatiShakti and National Master Plan.
- NHIDCL will promote surveys, design and upgrade the National Highway and Strategic Roads.
- National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd:
- It is a government-owned company of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
- It is responsible for the management of a network of National Highways.
- Chanchal Kumar is the Managing Director of NHIDCL.
2. AR Rahman has been selected as the ambassador of the Indo-UK culture platform.
- The Season of Culture is the name of this platform.
- The platform aims to strengthen India and UK’s relations in arts, English, and education.
- Britain's Deputy High Commissioner to India Jan Thomson and Director (India) of the British Council Barbara Wickham officially launched the platform.
- The platform marks the 75th anniversary of India’s independence.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. 2nd edition of Awards for Excellence in District Skill Development Planning (DSDP) was held in New Delhi.
- Top 30 districts were awarded for their innovative best practices in skill development in the region.
- Among all participating districts, the top three districts are Rajkot (1st) in Gujarat, Cachar (2nd) in Assam and Satara (3rd) in Maharashtra.
- Thirty districts were given awards under the following three categories.
- Category I: 8 Awards for Excellence in District Skill Development Planning
- Category II: 13 Certificate for Excellence in District Skill Development Planning
- Category III: 9 Letter of Appreciation for District Skill Development Planning
- District Skill Development Planning (DSDP) award:
- It was started under Skill Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) Scheme in June 2018.
- It was started by the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
4. DIPAM organized a conference in 75 cities on the theme of creating wealth through the market on 10 June 2022.
- The conference aimed to encourage and educate people about investments and creation of the wealth.
- Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) organized the conference as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Celebrations of the Ministry of Finance.
- During the conference, the following topics were discussed.
- Growth of Indian Capital Markets in the past 75 years.
- Women as rising Independent Investors.
- Role of Government and other Market Players in improving Market Confidence.
- Financial Literacy- a road to financial wellbeing.
- Future of Indian capital markets i.e. Amrit Kaal.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
5. India will host a Special ASEAN-India Foreign Ministers' Meeting (SAIFMM) on 16th and 17th June.
- This will be the first meeting organized by India in New Delhi and will also be accompanied by the 12th edition of the Delhi Dialogue.
- The Delhi Dialogue's theme is "Building Bridges in the Indo-Pacific."
- External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar and ASEAN countries Ministers will attend the Ministerial Session.
- The year 2022 has been designated as a “Friendship Year between ASEAN and India”.
- The 30th anniversary of dialogue relations between ASEAN and India, as well as the 10th anniversary of the strategic partnership with ASEAN, will be commemorated during the SAIFMM.
- ASEAN is part of India's Act East policy and its vision for the wider Indo-Pacific.
- The ASEAN-India dialogue relationship began in 1992 with the formation of a sectoral collaboration, which progressed to a full dialogue partnership in December 1995, a Summit level partnership in 2002, and a strategic partnership in 2012.
Topic: Personality in News
6. Ramkrishna Mukkavilli became the first Indian to be named by the UNGC as a global SDG pioneer.
- He has been recognized as a Global Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Pioneer for Water Stewardship by the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC).
- The UNGC has named ten new SDG Pioneers, business leaders who are advancing the SDGs by implementing the UN Global Compact Ten Principles on human rights, environment, labour, and anti-corruption.
- Ramakrishna Mukkavilli, founder and managing director of Make-in-India company Maitri Aquatech, was previously selected as India's SDG Pioneer by the UN Global Compact Network India (GCNI) earlier this year.
- He was selected for his work in building water security with nature-based water solutions in India and 27 countries spread across Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
- Maithri Aquatech is an ESG company, and their MEGHDOOT product is the only Atmospheric Water Generator (AWG) solution approved by Ministry of Jal Shakti.
7. Union Cabinet has given approval to MoU signed between National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), Japan and ARIES, India.
- The MoU is for research work on air quality and climate change.
- Some of the possible activities under MoU include joint use and operation of scientific instruments and exchange of scientific and technical information.
- Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) is an autonomous research Institute established under the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- It is a centre of excellence for research in Astronomy & Astrophysics and Atmospheric Sciences. It has Nainital campus and Devasthal campus.
- NIES is Japan's only research institute that carries out environmental research.
Topic: Space and IT
8. IDS, a multinational corporation, launched Polyversity (Educational Metaverse) on 6th June 2022.
- IDS also launched a Bharat Blockchain Network (Academic Blockchain Consortium) on 6th June 2022 in presence of Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister for Education.
- IDS is building Bharat Blockchain Network (BBN) - India’s nationwide hybrid blockchain Network.
- Polyversity is India’s Largest Educational Metaverse, with over 100 Academic Partners.
- These are establishing virtual campuses to make education more accessible, immersive and meaningful.
- Both initiatives - Bharat Blockchain Network and Polyversity are supported by AICTE and powered by IDS.
- IDS is a multinational corporation. It is headquartered in Michigan, USA.
Topic: National News
9. Ministry of Power notified the Green Open Access Rules 2022 to support India's renewable energy programmes.
- These rules have been notified to promote the generation, purchase and consumption of green energy. It will simplify the procedure for open access to green power.
- The main goal of the Green Open Access Rules 2022 is to ensure affordable, reliable, and sustainable green energy for all.
- Now, consumers can demand green power from discoms (power distribution companies).
- According to the rules, the limit of open access transactions has been reduced from 1 MW (megawatt) to 100 kW for green energy. It will help small consumers to buy renewable energy through open access.
- The Green Open Access Rules 2022 will bring transparency to the approval process of open access applications. Now, approval will be granted within 15 days.
- The tariff for green energy will be determined separately by a commission.
Topic: International News
10. New York state legislature passed the world's first "right to repair" bill for digital electronics.
- Under this bill, digital electronics manufacturers will have to inform about parts, tools, and software to consumers and set up independent repair shops.
- The "Fair Repair Act" has been proposed after consumers raised their demand for the right to repair and refurbish their purchased goods.
- The bill will not include motor vehicle home appliances, medical devices, public safety communications equipment, and off-road equipment.
- According to a survey, 59 percent of independent repair shops said they might have to close down if the Act had not come.
- This act will help in reducing the e-waste footprint on the environment.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
11. Department of Science and Technology (DST) launched the Self Certification Portal.
- This is an important step towards liberalizing India's geospatial industry by easing access to geospatial data.
- It has been launched for conveying adherence to provisions of Geospatial Guidelines by individuals, companies, organisations, and government agencies.
- On February 15, 2021, the government issued a new Geospatial Data Guidelines for bringing improvement in the geospatial industry.
- It will reduce the time spent to obtain clearances and approvals for Geospatial companies, researchers, academia, and innovators.
- The portal has been developed in association with National Informatics Centre.
- Data about objects, events, or phenomena that have a location on the surface of the earth is called Geospatial data.
Topic: State News/ Himachal Pradesh
12. Himachal Pradesh become the first state to give approval to the drone policy.
- Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur has approved the ‘Himachal Pradesh Drone Policy 2022’.
- It mainly focuses on creating drone-enabled technology, the creation of manpower through training schools, and startup and innovation schemes.
- It will promote drone-enabled technology in different sectors such as defence, transport, health, agriculture, etc.
- The drone manufacturing industry can create more than 10,000 direct jobs in the state in the next three years.
- Himachal Pradesh government has designated ITI Shahpur to provide training to personnel using drones.
- The Department of Information Technology of the state has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with drone companies such as Skye Air and TechEagle.
Topic: National News
13. NHAI sets a new Guinness World Record by constructing a 75-km long highway in 105 hrs.
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari announced that NHAI has created a new Guinness World Record by laying 75 km of bituminous concrete road on NH53 in 105 hours and 33 minutes.
- The 75-km long single lane highway has been laid between Amrawati to Akola Districts.
- The project has been implemented by 720 workers including a team of independent consultants.
- Earlier, the world record for constructing the longest bituminous road was set by Qatar in Feb 2019.
- National Highway Authority of India (NHAI):
- It works under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Its main objective is the development and maintenance of national highways.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
- Alka Upadhyaya is the current chairperson of NHAI.
Topic: International News
14. European Parliament voted in favour to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035.
- Members of the European Parliament have voted in favour of this proposal in order to fight against climate change.
- It will promote the development and adoption of electric vehicles.
- EU lawmakers also supported a proposal of a 55% reduction in CO2 from automobiles in 2030 as compared to 2021.
- Lawmakers supported a proposal to require a 100% reduction in CO2 emissions from new cars by 2035.
- The European Parliament members will have to negotiate the final law from the member countries’ national governments.
- Currently, cars account for 12 percent of total CO2 emissions in the European Union.
- The European Parliament is the law-making body of the European Union. It has 705 members.