- 1. A MoU has been signed between Civil Aviation Ministry and Himachal Pradesh Government.
- 2. Central government has amended defence acquisition procedure (DAP) 2020.
- 3. India and the EU launched Trade and Technology Council.
- 4. Palli village in Jammu Kashmir becomes India’s first carbon-neutral panchayat.
- 5. Kane Tanaka, world’s oldest person, died at age of 119 years.
- 6. 24th Summer Deaflympics will be organized in Caxias Du Sul town of southern Brazil.
- 7. Dr Bina Modi has received the Woman Transforming India Award from Indo-American Chamber of Commerce.
- 8. Twitter has been acquired by Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk in a 44 billion dollar deal.
- 9. APEDA is co-hosting the 36th edition of AAHAR 2022 in Pragati Maidan from April 26th to 30th.
- 10. World Intellectual Property Day 2022: 26 April
- 11. Jamtara becomes first district with library in every village.
- 12. PM Modi launched Amrit Sarovar Mission in Jammu Kashmir.
- 13. Renowned biologist Prof M Vijayan passed away.
- 14. Dhanlaxmi Bank signed MoU with Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) for collection of taxes.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
1. A MoU has been signed between Civil Aviation Ministry and Himachal Pradesh Government.
- The purpose of MoU is development of a Green Field Airport in Nagchala, Mandi District of Himachal Pradesh.
- Nagchala Airport is being developed according to the Greenfield Airport Policy of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- Government of Himachal Pradesh and the Airport Authority of India has formed a Joint Venture Company.
- The Greenfield airport development project will cost around 900 crore excluding the cost of land.
- There are 3 airports (Shimla, Kullu, & Kangra) in Himachal Pradesh.
- There are 5 heliports Kangnidhar, Shimla, Rampur, Baddi, and SASE (Manali) in Himachal Pradesh.
2. Central government has amended defence acquisition procedure (DAP) 2020.
- The amendments in DAP 2020 have been done on the basis of approvals given by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC).
- All modernization requirements of the three services and the Indian Coast Guard will be met indigenously.
- Government has discontinued the requirement of Integrity Pact Bank Guarantee to reduce the financial burden on Indian defence industry.
- For all acquisition cases with Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) cost of over Rs 100 crore, Earnest Money Deposit (EMD) will be used as bid security.
- EMD is not needed from Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs).
- Government has simplified procurement process under iDEX procedure of DAP 2020.
- This will lower the time taken from the grant of AoN to the signing of contracts to 22 weeks.
- The services will issue certificates to the vendors who will not be awarded contracts. The certificate will facilitate vendors to explore other markets.
Topic: International News
3. India and the EU launched Trade and Technology Council.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen launched the EU-India Trade and Technology Council.
- It will help India to access advanced technologies and help both sides to set standards in 5G and artificial intelligence areas.
- This is the first time India has agreed to form a trade and technology council with any of its trading partners.
- European Union has set up its second such body, it has earlier set up this type of body with the United States.
- It will help both partners to tackle challenges related to trade, trusted technology and security.
- Trade and Technology Council is a key step toward strengthening the strategic partnership between India and EU.
Topic: State News/ Jammu Kashmir
4. Palli village in Jammu Kashmir becomes India’s first carbon-neutral panchayat.
- Palli village in Jammu’s Samba district is fully powered by solar energy.
- Prime Minister Modi recently inaugurated a 500 KW solar plant at India’s first carbon-neutral panchayat.
- Palli will act as a model panchayat and it will motivate other panchayats to become carbon-neutral.
- A total of 1,500 solar panels have been installed to provide electricity to 340 houses. The solar plant at Palli has been installed in a record time of nearly three weeks.
- Carbon neutrality is a state of net-zero carbon dioxide emissions.
- According to the targets set by the Paris Climate Agreement, there are only 29 years remaining to reach global net-zero emissions.
Topic: Personality in News
5. Kane Tanaka, world’s oldest person, died at age of 119 years.
- Kane Tanaka died at a hospital in southwestern Fukuoka city on 19 April.
- She was born in the Fukuoka region on 2 January 1903.
- She was confirmed as the world’s oldest living person by Guinness World Records in 2019.
- Japan has an ageing population with about 28 per cent of people aged 65 or more.
- Jeanne Louise Calment was the oldest living person verified by Guinness died in 1997 at the age of 122 years and 164 days.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. 24th Summer Deaflympics will be organized in Caxias Du Sul town of southern Brazil.
- The event will be held from 1st May – 15th May 2022. India will be represented at 24th Summer Deaflympics by 39 men and 26 women.
- Deepa Malik sent her best wishes to the athletes competing in the Deaflympics.
- Deepa Malik is President of Paralympic Committee of India.
- 24th Summer Deaflympics is official name of 2021 Summer Deaflympics.
- Sports comes from the our hearts is the motto of 24th Summer Deaflympics.
- Summer Deaflympics were last time held in Samsun, Turkey in 2017.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
7. Dr Bina Modi has received the Woman Transforming India Award from Indo-American Chamber of Commerce.
- Union Minister for Civil Aviation Jyotiraditya Scindia presented her the award.
- She is chairperson of Modi Enterprises. She is president and managing director of Godfrey Phillips India Ltd.
- She had won the Women of the Decade in Business & Leadership 2018 by Women Economic Forum. She also won Achiever’s Award in 2019.
- In 2020, she won Award for Excellence in Business by Abdelfattah El Sisi, President of Egypt at the Women Economic Forum 2020.
8. Twitter has been acquired by Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk in a 44 billion dollar deal.
- As per the deal, shareholders will get 54.20 dollars in cash for each share of Twitter stock they own.
- Twitter's board has unanimously approved the deal. The deal is expected to close this year.
- It is an American social networking and microblogging service.
- Its CEO is Parag Agrawal. Its founders are Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone, Evan Williams and Noah Glass.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
9. APEDA is co-hosting the 36th edition of AAHAR 2022 in Pragati Maidan from April 26th to 30th.
- The Agricultural & Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), in collaboration with the India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO), is hosting Asia's largest B2B international food and hospitality fair, AAHAR, at Pragati Maidan.
- The theme of the AAHAR fair is “Geographical Indication Products” as APEDA is focussing on the promotion of exports of GI-certified agricultural products.
- AAHAR is a part of the series of export promotion initiatives undertaken by APEDA, which works under the Ministry of Commerce and Trade.
- The GI Registry has registered over 150 food and agro Items as GI, out of which 123 GI products fall under APEDA's categorization as of March 2022.
- Under the APEDA pavilion, more than 80 exporters from various agricultural product segments, such as GI goods, processed food, organic, frozen food products, millets, and so on, are participating.
- Agricultural Products Export Development Authority (APEDA):
- It is a government organization established in 1986. It is responsible for the promotion of the export of agro products.
- It works under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. Its headquarters are located in New Delhi.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: Important Days
10. World Intellectual Property Day 2022: 26 April
- Every year on April 26th, World Intellectual Property Day is commemorated.
- The day is observed with the aim of highlighting the importance of Intellectual Property (IP) and how it encourages creativity and innovation.
- The theme of World Intellectual Property Day 2022 is “IP and Youth: Innovating for a Better Future”.
- In 2000, WIPO's member states agreed to commemorate World Intellectual Property Day on April 26.
- This date marks the anniversary of the coming into existence of the WIPO Convention in 1970.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO):
- It was established in 1967.
- It is one of the specialized agencies of the United Nations.
- It is responsible for promoting intellectual property across the globe.
- The headquarters is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Its Director General is Daren Tang.
Topic: National News
11. Jamtara becomes first district with library in every village.
- Jamtara district of Jharkhand has become the first district to have community libraries in all gram panchayats.
- The library is open for all students from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Career counselling sessions and motivational classes are also held free of cost here.
- The first community library was inaugurated in 2010 in Jamtara district.
- Libraries have been set up in panchayats such as Chandradeep, Panjaniya, Menjhia, Gopalpur, Shaharpura, Champapur, and Jhilua.
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funds received from several companies under the 14th and 15th Finance Commission was spent on the restoration and infrastructure of these libraries.
- About 350 teachers are associated with these libraries, who regularly guide the 5,000 students enrolled here.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
12. PM Modi launched Amrit Sarovar Mission in Jammu Kashmir.
- During his visit to Jammu Kashmir, PM Modi launched the ‘Amrit Sarovar Mission’ for the reviving and rejuvenating the existing water bodies.
- ‘Amrit Sarovar’ Mission will focus on the need for water conservation.
- Under this initiative, 75 water bodies will be developed and rejuvenated in each district.
- In the initial phase, Amrit Sarovar will be constructed in 68 panchayats.
- Prime Minister inaugurated the Banihal-Qazigund road tunnel to establish all-weather connectivity in Jammu and Kashmir. It will reduce the road distance between Banihal and Qazigund by 16 Km.
- He also laid the foundation stone of the Delhi-Amritsar-Katra Expressway and inaugurated the 500KW solar power plant at Palli village.
Topic: Personality in News
13. Renowned biologist Prof M Vijayan passed away.
- He was a renowned molecular bio-physicist, structural biologist and biological crystallographer.
- M Vijayan played a key role in the development of macromolecular crystallography in India.
- He was a former president of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
- He was involved in the determining the Insulin structure at Oxford University.
- He had published more than 260 peer-reviewed scientific papers and guided 38 research students.
- He was honoured with the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in 1985 and the Padma Shri in 2004.
14. Dhanlaxmi Bank signed MoU with Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) for collection of taxes.
- This will make it possible for the customers to pay their direct taxes and GST payments through the bank’s branch network and digital platforms.
- The customers will also be able to pay other indirect taxes through bank’s branch network and digital platforms.
- RBI has authorized the bank for collection of taxes on the basis of recommendation by Controller General of Accounts.
- In October 2021, RBI empaneled the bank as Agency Bank to carry out general banking businesses of central and state government on RBI’s behalf.
- In 2020, RBI appointed D K Kashyap (General Manager of RBI) on bank’s board for two years.