- 1. Rohit Sharma and Jasprit Bumrah were named among Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year.
- 2. India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has launched Fincluvation.
- 3. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has been named as recipient of John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.
- 4. Manipur celebrated Khongjom Day at Khongjom War Memorial Complex on 23rd April 2022.
- 5. Yoga event-Yog Prabha to be organized by Civil Aviation Ministry.
- 6. Niti Aayog has appointed Dr. Suman K Bery as its new vice chairman.
- 7. PM Modi and British PM Boris Johnson decided to conclude negotiations on Free Trade Agreement by end of 2022.
- 8. Lieutenant General Manoj Kumar Katiyar appointed as Director-General of Military Operations.
- 9. Indian Navy signed MoU with IIM Kozhikode to exchange best practices.
- 10. 1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference will be held in Mumbai.
- 11. The largest electric three-wheeler factory in the world will be established in Telangana.
- 12. All India Police Science Congress has been inaugurated by Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Bhopal.
- 13. G20 agreed to establish a global pandemic preparedness fund.
- 14. APEDA inked MoU with National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) to implement Agriculture Export Policy.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
1. Rohit Sharma and Jasprit Bumrah were named among Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year.
- In the 2022 edition of the Wisden Almanack, India captain Rohit Sharma and pacer Jasprit Bumrah are named among the “Five Cricketers of the Year”.
- England fast bowler Ollie Robinson, South African women’s player Dane van Niekerk and New Zealand opener Devon Conway are the other players selected among Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year.
- Former England captain Joe Root has been named as the Leading Cricketer in the World while South Africa’s Lizelle Lee has been named as the Leading Woman Cricketer.
- Pakistan’s Mohammad Rizwan has been selected as the leading T20 Cricketer.
Topic: Banking System
2. India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has launched Fincluvation.
- It is a joint initiative that has been launched to collaborate with Fintech Startup community.
- This initiative to collaborate with Fintech Startup community is to innovate and co-create solutions for financial inclusion.
- Fincluvation will exist as a platform of IPPB to co-create inclusive financial solutions in collaboration with participating start-ups.
- The initiative will make it possible for start-ups to work with IPPB and Department of Posts experts.
- India Post Payments Bank:
- It is a wholly owned government owned entity. It comes under Department of Posts.
- It was launched on September 1, 2018. It is headquartered in New Delhi. Its CEO is J. Venkatramu.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has been named as recipient of John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.
- He is one of the five people who have been named as recipients of this award.
- He has been named the recipient of this award for acting to protect democracy.
- As per John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, four U.S. officials have been selected for this award for standing up for free and fair elections.
- The names of these officials are listed below.
- Republican U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming
- Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson
- Arizona House Speaker Rusty Bowers
- Fulton County, Georgia, elections worker Wandrea “Shaye” Moss
- John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award is a private award. It is given to recognize displays of courage similar to those John F. Kennedy.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/Manipur
4. Manipur celebrated Khongjom Day at Khongjom War Memorial Complex on 23rd April 2022.
- Khongjom Day is celebrated every year on 23rd April to remember Manipuri warriors.
- These warriors sacrificed their lives in the battle of Khongjom during the 1891 Anglo-Manipuri War.
- Governor of Manipur La. Ganeshan and Chief Minister N. Biren Singh attended the celebration.
- Khongjom War Memorial Complex is located at Khebaching of Thoubal district.
Topic: National News
5. Yoga event-Yog Prabha to be organized by Civil Aviation Ministry.
- Ministry of Civil Aviation announced that it will organize Yoga event - Yog Prabha at Safdarjung Airport, New Delhi on 25 April.
- It will be inaugurated by the Union Minister of Civil Aviation Jyotiraditya Scindia.
- Common Yoga Protocol, Lecture on Yoga by Expert, Yoga Demonstration activities will be part of this event.
- It will be organized to create awareness about the importance of Yoga in daily life.
- United Nations General Assembly had declared 21st June as the International Day of Yoga in 2014.
Topic: National Appointment
6. Niti Aayog has appointed Dr. Suman K Bery as its new vice chairman.
- After Dr Rajiv Kumar stepped down as Chairman of the NITI Aayog, Suman K Bery has been named Vice-Chairman.
- On May 1st, he will take over as Vice Chairperson of NITI Aayog.
- Dr. Suman K Bery previously worked at the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) in New Delhi as Director-General.
- NITI Aayog:
- It was formed on January 1, 2015. It replaced the Planning Commission.
- The Prime Minister is the ex-officio Chairman and the Prime Minister appoints the Vice-Chairperson.
- Its headquarters is in New Delhi. Amitabh Kant is its CEO.
Topic: International News
7. PM Modi and British PM Boris Johnson decided to conclude negotiations on Free Trade Agreement by end of 2022.
- British PM Boris Johnson is on a two-day visit to India during which he held bilateral talks with PM Modi.
- Earlier, India and UK had launched an ambitious Roadmap-2030 to guide the bilateral relationship in this decade.
- Both leaders reviewed the progress made in this Roadmap and also set some goals for the future.
- They also discussed the comprehensive reforms in the infrastructure modernization plan, and the National Infrastructure Pipeline.
- They decided to deepen their climate and energy partnerships and India invited the UK to join India's National Hydrogen Mission.
- Both leaders also discussed regional and global levels issues. Two agreements were also signed during the bilateral talks.
Topic: National Appointments
8. Lieutenant General Manoj Kumar Katiyar appointed as Director-General of Military Operations.
- Lieutenant General Manoj will take the charge from 1 May. He is presently the General Officer Commanding of 1 Corps.
- Earlier, he had commanded an infantry brigade along the Western borders and a mountain division.
- He also served as an instructor in the Indian Military Training Team in Bhutan.
- He was commissioned in the 23rd Battalion of the Rajput Regiment in June 1986.
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
9. Indian Navy signed MoU with IIM Kozhikode to exchange best practices.
- Naval Institute of Educational and Training Technology has signed an MoU with the Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode.
- Director of IIM-K Professor Debashis Chatterjee and director of NIETT Commodore Ben H Berson signed the MoU.
- The MoU aims to build collaboration and exchange best practices in the field of Instructional leadership, Educational Psychology and Management.
- The MoU would help NIETT to offer world-class training to trainers of the armed forces of India and friendly foreign nations.
- Naval Institute of Educational and Training Technology:
- It was established on 25th April 1971.
- It is situated in Kochi, Kerala.
- It is a centre for the training of trainers and a full-fledged centre for the production of training aids and resource material.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
10. 1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference will be held in Mumbai.
- Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal announced that the 1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference-2022 will be organized in Mumbai on 14th-15th May.
- Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Mumbai Port Authority, and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) will organize this two-day event.
- Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said that the Indian cruise market has the potential to grow by ten times over the next decade.
- The conference will showcase business opportunities in the cruise tourism sector in India.
- Sarbananda Sonowal also unveiled the brochure, logo, and the mascot of the Conference- Captain Cruz.
- The conference's main aim is to hold discussions on 'Developing India as a Cruise Hub'.
- The Conference will also highlight ports like Mumbai, Goa, Kochi, New Mangalore and Lakshwadeep as cruise hubs of the nation.
Topic: State News/Telangana
11. The largest electric three-wheeler factory in the world will be established in Telangana.
- California-based Biliti Electric Inc will establish this factory to produce 2.40 lakh electric vehicles each year.
- The factory will be set up in 2 phases. Phase I will be completed by early 2023. The second phase will be completed in 2024.
- The company has entered into a manufacturing partnership with Gayam Motor Works for its three-wheelers.
- Gayam Motor Works is based in Hyderabad and manufactures electric vehicles.
- Cargo version Taskman and passenger model Urban are Biliti’s products. It is proposed that both of these will be manufactured in the Telangana factory.
- Fisker, another firm based in California is planning to establish its 2nd headquarters in Hyderabad.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
12. All India Police Science Congress has been inaugurated by Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Bhopal.
- Bureau of Police Research and Development organized the 48th All India Police Science Congress at Central Police Training Academy, Bhopal.
- In addition to Union Home Minister, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also addressed the Congress.
- Amit Shah talked about the need for rational police system based on knowledge and evidence.
- He said coordination and uniformity should be there among police personnel of all states.
- Amit Shah attended the Conference of Forest Committees. He also took part in the distribution of dividends to Tendu leaves collectors.
- These events were held at Jamboori Maidan in Bhopal.
- All India Police Science Congress:
- In 1960, First All India Police Science Congress was organized in Patna, Bihar.
- 47th All India Police Science Congress was organized in 2019 in Lucknow.
- Bureau of Police Research and Development:
- It was established in 1970. Ministry of Home Affairs is its parent agency.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi. It is headed by Director-General. Balaji Srivastava is current Director General.
Topic: International News
13. G20 agreed to establish a global pandemic preparedness fund.
- G20 countries have agreed to set up a global fund for pandemic preparedness at the World Bank.
- The US and Indonesia have given the proposal to establish such kind of fund to tackle future pandemics.
- The WHO and the World Bank estimated that $10.5 billion per year is needed to support equitable global access to vaccines, testing and treatments.
- However, no details are available from the G20 on the size of the new financial intermediary fund.
- It was formed in 1999.
- It consists of 19 countries and the European Union.
- Joko Widodo is its Chairman.
- It works to resolve major issues related to the global economy.
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
14. APEDA inked MoU with National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) to implement Agriculture Export Policy.
- The main objective of this MoU is to implement Agriculture Export Policy and to strengthen the export value chain.
- Both organizations will cooperate on projects for the commercialization of embedded technology related to Agriculture and food processing.
- Both organizations will cooperate in developing farm machinery at a low cost and develop user-friendly and energy-efficient tools for small scale farmers.
- They will also promote and support Agri startups associated with the NRDC Incubation Centre (NRDCIC).
- National Research Development Corporation (NRDC):
- It was established in 1953 by the Government of India.
- Its primary objective is to promote, develop and commercialize the technologies of various national R&D institutions.