- 1. Rajasthan becomes first state to install L-Route server for high-speed internet connectivity.
- 2. Karnataka government decided to rename Shivamogga airport.
- 3. A Statement of Intent on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) focused on children has been signed by NITI Aayog and UNICEF India.
- 4. Vijay Kumar Dev sworn in as the new State Election Commissioner for Delhi.
- 5. Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Dr. Ambedkar Centres of Excellence (DACE) Scheme from Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi.
- 6. Shanti Sethi appointed as Defense Advisor to Kamala Harris.
- 7. Russia successfully test-fired an intercontinental ballistic missile named Sarmat.
- 8. RBI restricted the lending limits of NBFCs to bring them at par with Banks.
- 9. Earth Day: 22 April
- 10. NITI Aayog released a draft battery swapping policy for comments.
- 11. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated DefConnect 2.0.
- 12. Agriculture Department of UT of Ladakh has won PM’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration for the year 2021.
- 13. Eminent physicist Ajay Kumar Sood appointed as principal scientific advisor.
- 14. Babita Singh named as New Global Peace Ambassador 2022.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: State News/ Rajasthan
1. Rajasthan becomes first state to install L-Route server for high-speed internet connectivity.
- L-route server has been established at Bhamashah State Data Center in association with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
- Currently, two L-route servers are working in Mumbai and Kolkata but Rajasthan becomes the first state to install L- Route server at the state level.
- Rajasthan will have its own domain name and the internet will work even if there is a problem in internet connectivity due to any technical glitch or natural calamity in the whole of Asia or India.
- Now, Rajasthan will not depend upon the main server for the Domain Name System.
- At present, there are three J-Route servers in India at Delhi, Mumbai and Gorakhpur. Route server establishes connectivity between DNS server and client.
Topic: State News/ Karnataka
2. Karnataka government decided to rename Shivamogga airport.
- Karnataka government has decided to name Shivamogga airport after former CM BS Yediyurappa.
- The proposal to rename Shivamogga airport will be forwarded to the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- The Shivamogga airport will have the second-longest runway in Karnataka after Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru.
- It is likely to be inaugurated in December this year with all international facilities.
- Shivamogga Airport is being built at Sogane Village near Shivamogga. Karnataka chief minister B. S. Yediyurappa laid the foundation of the Airport on 15 June 2020.
Topic: MoU / Agreement
3. A Statement of Intent on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) focused on children has been signed by NITI Aayog and UNICEF India.
- The Statement of Intent aims to develop a framework of collaboration in order to launch the first report on the Status and Trends in Multidimensional Child Development in India.
- Ms Sanyukta Samaddar, NITI Aayog's Nodal Officer for SDGs, and Ms Hyun Hee Ban, UNICEF India's Chief of Social Policy, signed the Statement of Intent.
- Both are developing a comprehensive measure to assess the multidimensional attainments and deprivations among children across health and nutrition, education, water and sanitation, and household living standards in order to meet the SDGs' child development priorities.
- NITI Aayog and UNICEF India will draw up the methods, technical analysis, reporting, and action planning for the first report on the ‘Status of India’s Children’.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- These are a collection of 17 goals designed to achieve a better and more sustainable future.
- These were launched in 2015 by the UNDP and these have to be achieved by 2030.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: National Appointment
4. Vijay Kumar Dev sworn in as the new State Election Commissioner for Delhi.
- Lieutenant Governor of Delhi Anil Baijal swore in retired IAS officer Vijay Kumar Dev as the next Election Commissioner of the State Election Commission of the National Capital Territory of Delhi.
- Shri Dev will hold serve for a period of six years from the date of assumption of charge or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- After the retirement of S K Srivastava, Dev has been appointed to the post.
- State Election Commissions:
- The State Election Commissions are headed by a State Election Commissioner appointed by the Governor.
- It is responsible for the preparation of voters list for the local bodies like Gram Panchayat, Taluka and District, Panchayat/Municipality.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
5. Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Dr. Ambedkar Centres of Excellence (DACE) Scheme from Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi.
- Following the inauguration of the DACE Scheme, the selected 31 universities and the Dr. Ambedkar Foundation signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- In 31 Central Universities across the country, the Dr. Ambedkar Foundation (DAF) is establishing Dr. Ambedkar Centres of Excellence (DACE).
- The DACEs have been established to give high-quality, free coaching to Scheduled Caste students preparing for the Union Public Service Commission's (UPSC) Civil Services examinations.
- A total of 100 seats will be sanctioned for coaching per center under the DACE Scheme. 33 percent of the total sanctioned seats for coaching would be offered to eligible female candidates from Scheduled Castes.
- In addition, the Dr. Ambedkar Foundation runs "Dr. Ambedkar Chairs" scheme in universities and institutions around the country. Currently, there are 24 Dr. Ambedkar Chairs located across the country.
- Dr. Ambedkar Chairs seek to establish advanced learning centres in the world's top universities and educational institutions.
Topic: International Appointment
6. Shanti Sethi appointed as Defense Advisor to Kamala Harris.
- Shanti Sethi, an Indian-American Navy veteran, has been appointed as the executive secretary and defence advisor to US Vice President Kamala Harris.
- Sethi, the first Indian-American commander of a major US Navy battleship, will be in charge of coordinating National Security Advisor documentation across the Vice President's Office.
- She is also the first woman commander of an American naval ship to visit India.
7. Russia successfully test-fired an intercontinental ballistic missile named Sarmat.
- The missile can carry nuclear weapons and ten or more warheads can be installed on this missile.
- It has a range of 18000 km and an RD-274 liquid rocket engine gives power to this missile.
- It is one of Russia's next-generation missiles. It has the ability to dodge all anti-missile defence systems.
- It can carry weapons weight up to 200 tons and can attack any pole on the Earth.
- It has a mass of 208.1 metric tons, while the length is 35.5 meters and the roundness is 3 meters. It can travel at a speed of Mach 20.7 (about 25560 km/hr).
- It has been designed by the Russian company Makeyev Rocket Design Bureau.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Banking System
8. RBI restricted the lending limits of NBFCs to bring them at par with Banks.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced new rules related to the lending of non-banking finance companies (NBFCs).
- RBI stated that exposure to a single entity of a non-banking financial institution (NBFC) should not exceed 20% of its available capital base and subject to board approval, an additional 5% exposure will be allowed.
- However, NBFCs that are into infrastructure finance can have an exposure of 25%.
- The NBFCs have to report to the Department of supervision of RBI in case of breach of the exposure limits.
- These norms will come into effect from October 1, 2022. It is a step by RBI to narrow the regulatory gap between Banks and NBFCs.
- The RBI has also directed them to disclose all instances of breach of the covenant of loan availed or debt securities issued by them.
- NBFCs are the companies registered under the Companies Act, 1956 and are involved in the business of loans, acquisition of shares/stocks/debentures, etc.
Topic: Important Days
9. Earth Day: 22 April
- Every year Earth Day is observed on 22 April. It was first celebrated in 1970.
- It is observed in the support of environmental protection. The Earth Day 2022 theme is ‘Invest In Our Planet’.
- The idea for Earth Day was originally given by US Senator named Gaylord Nelson in 1969.
- Peace activist John McConnell has proposed this day in 1969 at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco.
- On Earth Day, the landmark Paris Agreement was signed by the United States, the United Kingdom, China, and 120 other countries in 2016.
Topic: National News
10. NITI Aayog released a draft battery swapping policy for comments.
- At the COP 26 summit, India had announced to reduce carbon emission intensity by 45% and reduce the non-fossil energy capacity to 500 GigaWatt by 2030.
- Under the first phase, cities with a population above 40 lakh will be prioritised for the development of battery swapping.
- All major cities above 5 lakh population and state capitals will be covered in the second phase.
- As per the draft policy, vehicles with swappable batteries will be sold without a battery. It states that any person can set up a battery-swapping station at any location.
- Finance Minister in her Budget speech 2022-23 had announced that Government will bring a battery swapping policy.
- NITI Aayog has prepared this draft policy after an inter-ministerial discussion. It has been prepared by consulting with battery manufacturers, vehicle OEMs, financial institutions, think tanks, etc.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
11. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated DefConnect 2.0.
- DefConnect 2.0 has been organised by iDEX - Defence Innovation Organisation (iDEX-DIO) at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on April 22, 2022.
- DefConnect 2.0 provided opportunity for innovators having association with iDEX-DIO to showcase their capabilities.
- It included exhibitions of start-ups supported by iDEX-DIO. Innovators and investors from India’s defence sector industries took part in it.
- Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX):
- PM Modi launched Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) in 2018.
- It offers a unique platform for multiple stakeholders in sectors like defence and aerospace.
- It acts as a comprehensive organization to supervise technology development and potential collaborations in the defence field.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
12. Agriculture Department of UT of Ladakh has won PM’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration for the year 2021.
- PM Modi gave the award to the Secretary of UT for Excellence in Public Administration in Innovation- State category.
- PM’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration has been given for Ladakh Greenhouse Project.
- The award carries a trophy, citation and 20 lakh rupees cash for the implementation of the project.
- Greenhouse technology was developed by DRDO’s Defence Institute of High Altitude Research, a Leh-based institute.
- In 2019, technology was given to Ladakh Agriculture Department, which is implementing it in Leh and Kargil Districts in the form of the Ladakh Greenhouse Project.
- 75% financial assistance is provided by Agriculture Department on greenhouses in both Leh and Kargil districts.
- The Ladakh Greenhouse Project is also providing support to Project MODI (Mission Organic Development Initiative) of making UT Ladakh an organic UT by 2025.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National Appointment
13. Eminent physicist Ajay Kumar Sood appointed as principal scientific advisor.
- He has been appointed to the post for a period of three years. He is known for his work on graphene.
- He will succeed K VijayRaghavan, the former director of the National Centre for Biological Sciences.
- VijayRaghavan played a crucial role in vaccine and drug development as well as pandemic management.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Ajay Kumar Sood.
- The principal scientific advisor is responsible to give pragmatic and objective advice to the prime minister and cabinet on matters related to science, and technology.
- The principal scientific advisor can also advise institutions, academia and industry.
Topic: Personality in News
14. Babita Singh named as New Global Peace Ambassador 2022.
- Babita Singh has received this honour for promoting Peace through Sports, Art, Culture & Diplomacy at the India International Conclave 2022.
- Prof Dr Zahid Haque conferred the award to Babita Singh. She is a business professional for the last 20 years.
- She dedicated her life to promoting Universal Moral Values, Interreligious cooperation, International Harmony, etc.
- AAC-Global Peace Ambassador:
- It has been constituted by Asia Africa Consortium.
- It is the highest honour given to those citizens who foster Socio-Economic Relations and Sustainable Growth between Asia and Africa in Education, Health and Trade.