Daily Current Affairs and GK | 10 September 2022
- 1. World Suicide Prevention Day 2022: 10 September
- 2. India’s rank on the Human Development Index has declined from 130 in 2020 to 132 in 2021.
- 3. Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has become first Indian to win Zurich Diamond League Final 2022 in Switzerland.
- 4. PM Modi inaugurated Centre-State Science Conclave at Science City in Ahmedabad on 10 September 2022.
- 5. Ministry of Rural Development is conducting a 15-day country-wide campaign from the 7th to 20th of September, 2022.
- 6. September is recognized as International PCOS Awareness Month.
- 7. 168th birth anniversary of Sree Narayana Guru was celebrated on 10th September.
- 8. World Dairy Summit will be inaugurated by PM Modi on 12th September in Noida.
- 9. Union Minister of Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan participated in the India Ideas Summit 2022.
- 10. India and China armies started the disengagement process in Gogra-Hotsprings.
- 11. Odisha government launched the Community Harnessing and Harvesting Rainwater Artificially from Terrace to Aquifer (CHHATA) scheme.
- 12. Meghalaya Cabinet approved the Meghalaya Ropeway Bill 2022.
- 13. President Droupadi Murmu launched Pradhan Mantri TB Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan on 9 september.
- 14. Mahesh V Iyer appointed as Chairman of Mahanagar Gas Ltd.
- 15. Volker Turk has been appointed as the new UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: Important Days
1. World Suicide Prevention Day 2022: 10 September
- World Suicide Prevention Day is celebrated every year on 10 September.
- It is observed to raise awareness among organizations, the government, and the public about suicidal death.
- The main focus of the day is on the ways and measures to prevent suicide and to create awareness about mental health.
- The International Association for Suicide Prevention, in association with the World Health Organization (WHO) established World Suicide Prevention Day in 2003.
- “Creating hope through action” is the triennial theme for World Suicide Prevention Day from 2021 – 2023.
- Around 7 lakh people take their lives every year around the world.
Topic: Reports and Indices
2. India’s rank on the Human Development Index has declined from 130 in 2020 to 132 in 2021.
- According to the Human Development Report 2021-22, India’s HDI value stood at 0.633 during 2021. This was lower than the world average of 0.732.
- In 2020, India’s HDI value declined to 0.642 from the pre-Covid level of 2019 (0.645).
- India ranks 132 out of 191 countries and territories on the 2021/22 Human Development Index.
- Human Development Report is released by UNDP. United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) said 90% of countries have shown a reduction in their Human Development Index value in 2020 or 2021.
- Global decline in life expectancy (declined from 72.8 years in 2019 to 71.4 years in 2021) is a large contributor to HDI’s recent decline.
- On all four parameters of HDI, India was behind the world averages in 2021.
India’s score in 2021
World averages in 2021
Life expectancy at birth
Expected years of schooling
Mean years of schooling
Gross national income per capita (2017 PPP)
3. Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has become first Indian to win Zurich Diamond League Final 2022 in Switzerland.
- His second throw measuring 88.44 metre won him the Diamond League trophy.
- Jakub Vadlejch of the Czech Republic finished second with a best throw of 86.94 metres.
- Julian Weber of Germany was third with a best of 83.73 metres.
- Neeraj Chopra is a Tokyo Olympic gold medallist javelin thrower.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
4. PM Modi inaugurated Centre-State Science Conclave at Science City in Ahmedabad on 10 September 2022.
- The two day conclave will strengthen Centre-State coordination to build a robust science, technology & innovation ecosystem across the country.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah will attend the concluding session of the conclave on 11 September 2022.
- The two day Conclave is being organised at Science City, Ahmedabad on 10-11 September 2022.
- It includes sessions on different thematic areas including STI Vision 2047, doubling Private Sector investment in R&D by 2030, etc.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
5. Ministry of Rural Development is conducting a 15-day country-wide campaign from the 7th to 20th of September, 2022.
- The campaign aims to expedite the process of mobilisation of left-out rural poor women across states and Union Territories into women’s Self Help Groups (SHGs) under DAY-NRLM’s fold.
- As part of the campaign, women institutions from each village will carry out a social mobilization event.
- In this event, each member will bring a friend, or neighbour who is a non-SHG member with them.
- The benefits of being a part of Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) SHGs will be highlighted.
- Non-members will thus be motivated to join these community institutions.
- The aim of the campaign is also to ensure that SHGs are included into higher-level federations; tier two level Village Organisations (VOs) and tier three level Cluster Level Federations (CLFs).
- Bank accounts will be opened for all the SHGs, VOs and CLFs within seven days of being formed.
- Shri Nagendra Nath Sinha, Secretary, Ministry of Rural Development had announced the campaign on 5 September 2022.
Topic: Important Days
6. September is recognized as International PCOS Awareness Month.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder in women. It is also the most important cause of female infertility.
- It is caused by both genetic and environmental factors. At the global level, 3 – 4 out of 10 women suffer from it.
- In a healthy woman, egg is released from ovaries around the 15th day of her period. This does not take place in a woman with PCOS.
- The egg gets trapped in the ovary and fluid collects around it forming a cyst. Over time, many cysts form, leading to PCOS.
- Obesity and modern lifestyle are biggest contributors to PCOS.
- Smoking, alcohol consumption, chronic stress and an unhealthy diet play a significant role.
- If one has a mother, sister, or relative with PCOS, one is more likely to be affected.
Topic: Personality in News
7. 168th birth anniversary of Sree Narayana Guru was celebrated on 10th September.
- He was a philosopher, spiritual leader, and social reformer from Kerala.
- He was against the caste-ridden society and promote spiritual enlightenment.
- He was born on August 22, 1856, in Chempazhanthy near Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- He established Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam (SNDP) philanthropic society, in 1903.
- On this occasion, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the Maha Sammelan at the Chempazhanthy Gurukulam in Thiruvananthapuram.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
8. World Dairy Summit will be inaugurated by PM Modi on 12th September in Noida.
- India is organizing the World Dairy Summit after a gap of almost 48 years.
- Around 1500 people from all over the world will attend this summit, including CEOs and employees of dairy processing companies, dairy farmers, and other stakeholders.
- 9 September was the death anniversary of Dr. Verghese Kurien, also known as the "Father of the White Revolution".
- India is now the largest milk producer in the world, producing 21 percent of all the milk in the world.
- The National Dairy Development Board was established in 1965 in Gujarat under the guidance of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, with Dr. Verghese Kurien as its first chairman.
- The Operation Flood program was implemented in various phases across the country to support the creation of the 'Anand Pattern' of dairy cooperatives.
- The country's average daily milk consumption increased from 107 grams per person in 1970 to 427 grams per person in 2020–21.
9. Union Minister of Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan participated in the India Ideas Summit 2022.
- The US-India Business Council and the US Chamber of Commerce, International Affairs, South Asia organized the summit.
- “Maximising the Next 75 years of U.S.–India Prosperity was the theme of the event.”
- On this occasion, CEOs and top management of American companies were present.
- The Minister emphasized for higher education institutions in both countries to work together more on programs like joint degrees, and dual degrees.
- The India Ideas Summit 2021 was held in October with the theme “Recovery to Resurgence.”
Topic: India and its neighbours
10. India and China armies started the disengagement process in Gogra-Hotsprings.
- In the Gogra-Hotsprings area in Ladakh, India and China will complete the disengagement process by 12 September.
- Indian and Chinese armies are on the standoff position at Patrolling Point 15 in the Gogra-Hotsprings area for the last two years.
- Both sides have agreed to cease forward deployments in this area in a phased, coordinated and verified manner.
- Both sides have also agreed to dismantle all temporary structures and other allied infrastructure.
- The process of disengagement started after the 16th round of talks between the Corps Commanders of India and China in July 2022.
- India and China armies have disengaged at all friction points in the region including the north and south banks of the Pangong Tso, PP 14, PP 15 and PP 17A.
- McMahon Line is the effective boundary between China and India. It is 890 kilometres long and extends from the corner of Bhutan to the Isu Razi Pass on the Burma border.
Topic: State Government/ Odisha
11. Odisha government launched the Community Harnessing and Harvesting Rainwater Artificially from Terrace to Aquifer (CHHATA) scheme.
- The water resources department of Odisha has notified Community Harnessing and Harvesting Rainwater Artificially from Terrace to Aquifer (CHHATA) scheme.
- The state cabinet has approved the scheme with an outlay of Rs 270 crore.
- The main aim of the scheme is to improve the depleting groundwater table and to resolve groundwater issues.
- As per the guidelines, the scheme will be implemented in 52 water- stressed blocks and 27 urban local bodies of the state.
- Any person having a building with a roof area of less than 200 square metres and is of not more than three floors, is eligible to apply for this scheme.
- The state government will give a subsidy of Rs 55,000 or 50 per cent of the cost of the structure, whichever is less.
- A rooftop rainwater harvesting monitoring committee will be formed at the Urban Local Bodies level to review the progress of the scheme.
Topic: State News/ Meghalaya
12. Meghalaya Cabinet approved the Meghalaya Ropeway Bill 2022.
- The Meghalaya Ropeway Bill 2022 will lay down the guidelines for the passenger/ tourist ropeways that are in the pipeline.
- The Shillong Peak Ropeway will be the first ropeway in Meghalaya. It will connect Shillong peak to Lawsohtun with an estimated cost of Rs 140 Cr.
- The bill will give provide detailed guidelines for the applications of the ropeways. It will also lay guidelines for licences and safety measures.
- The bill will ensure the overall safety of the passengers and tourists. Ropeways and cable cars will be promoted as means of public transportation.
- In future, projects will be expanded for goods transportation.
- Meghalaya Cabinet has also approved Meghalaya State Consumer Protection (Mediation) Rules, 2022.
- It will help in resolving consumer protection issues and ensure arbitrations at the District level.
- The Meghalaya government has launched an online portal of the ‘Meghalaya Residents Safety & Security Act’.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
13. President Droupadi Murmu launched Pradhan Mantri TB Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan on 9 september.
- The aim of the Pradhan Mantri TB Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan is to eliminate TB from India by 2025.
- President Droupadi Murmu also launched Ni-kshay 2.0 portal. It will serve as a platform for donors to provide various forms of support to people undergoing TB treatment.
- The new portal Nikshay 2.0 is an upgraded version. It will provide information easily to people.
- Ni-kshay 2.0 portal is based on the concept of community support for TB extinction.
- The mentors on this Nikshay 2.0 portal will be called Nikshay Mitra. The Nikshay Mitra can choose nutritional, diagnostic, vocational and additional nutritional supplement support.
- Nikshay Mitra can also choose the duration of the support and also can choose the state, district, block, and health facilities.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National Appointments
14. Mahesh V Iyer appointed as Chairman of Mahanagar Gas Ltd.
- Mahesh Vishwanathan Iyer has assumed the charge as Chairman of Mahanagar Gas Limited from September 1, 2022.
- Before this appointment, he was the director (Business Development) of GAIL (India).
- He also served as Chairperson of Konkan LNG Limited and Central U.P. Gas Limited.
- He has vast experience in the execution of projects in the areas of gas pipelines, LNG terminals, city gas distribution projects, renewables etc.
- Other Appointments in News:
Took over as New CEO of Indigo
Ajit Kumar Saxena
Selected for CMD post in MOIL Limited
Mahesh V Iyer
Chairman of Mahanagar Gas Ltd
MD and CEO of Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
CMD of Shipping Corporation of India
Utpal Kumar Singh
Additional charge as CEO of Sansad TV
CEO of Starbucks
Yamuna Kumar Chaubey
CMD of NHPC
MD and CEO of Mercedes-Benz (tenure starts from Jan 2023)
CMD of IDFC First Bank (wef 1 October 2022)
Topic: International Appointments
15. Volker Turk has been appointed as the new UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appointed Volker Turk as the new UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- Volker Turk will succeed Michelle Bachelet of Chile, whose four-year term ended on August 31.
- Earlier, he was the Assistant High Commissioner for Protection at UN refugees, UNHCR.
- He played a significant role in the development of the Global Compact on Refugees.
- He also served as Assistant Secretary-General for Strategic Coordination in the UN chief’s Executive Office.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights:
- It is also known as the United Nations Human Rights Office.
- It is a department of the United Nations established in 1993.
- It works for promoting and protecting human rights guaranteed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948.
(Source: News on AIR)