- 1. Government has set up a committee under the chairmanship of Kirit Parikh to review the current gas pricing formula.
- 2. Uttar Pradesh has topped in the use of the e-prosecution portal.
- 3. New Coastal Zone Management Plan for Karnataka has been approved by PM Modi.
- 4. PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the 'Kartavya Path' on September 8.
- 5. World Physical Therapy Day 2022: 8 September
- 6. A National Conference 'Manthan' inaugurated by Nitin Gadkari in Bengaluru.
- 7. India-US 2 plus 2 inter-sessional meeting organized in New Delhi on 07 September 2022.
- 8. Queen Elizabeth II passed away recently at the age of 96 after reigning for 70 years.
- 9. China’s first fully solar-powered unmanned aerial vehicle completed its maiden test flight successfully.
- 10. United States has issued the highest number of student visas to India in 2022.
- 11. Union Minister Piyush Goyal launched US Startup SETU- Supporting Entrepreneurs in Transformation programme in San Francisco.
- 12. DRDO and Indian Army successfully conducted six flight tests of the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile system.
- 13. PM Modi addressed the 7th Eastern Economic Forum held in Vladivostok through video conferencing.
- 14. NASA’s Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment (MOXIE) instrument generated oxygen on Mars.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: Committees/ Commissions/ Taskforces
1. Government has set up a committee under the chairmanship of Kirit Parikh to review the current gas pricing formula.
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has set up a committee to review the pricing formula for domestically-produced gas.
- The committee will submit the report by the end of September 2022.
- The committee will be headed by energy expert Kirit Parikh and its other members will be from the fertilizer ministry, gas producers and buyers.
- In the last revision, the price of natural gas from old and regulated fields was doubled to $6.1 per million British thermal units (mBtu).
- For the April-September 2022 period, the price of gas produced from difficult fields like the KG-D6 block was hiked from $6.13 to 9.92/mBtu.
- The local gas price has reached a record high and will further rise due to global gas price.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
2. Uttar Pradesh has topped in the use of the e-prosecution portal.
- Uttar Pradesh stood first in the disposal and entry of cases through the e-Prosecution portal under the Digital India Mission.
- Uttar Pradesh has disposed of 9.12 million cases through the e-Prosecution Portal.
- Madhya Pradesh with 2.31 million is in the second spot, while Bihar with 859,000 cases is in the third spot.
- Uttar Pradesh has also topped in convictions associated with crimes against women and cases related to cybercrimes.
- e-prosecution portal:
- Two years ago, the e-prosecution portal was launched to assist courts and the prosecution system in expediting criminal trials in serious crimes.
- It is a medium of e-communication between the police department and the prosecution directorate under the Inter-operable Criminal Justice System (ICJS).
- It helps in the transfer of data among courts, police, jails and forensic science laboratories.
- Under this system, witnesses are informed through SMS about their day of appearance in court.
Topic: State News/ Karnataka
3. New Coastal Zone Management Plan for Karnataka has been approved by PM Modi.
- In Mangaluru, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the ground for multiple projects totalling Rs 3,800 crore.
- As per the 2019 CRZ notification, the new Coastal Zone Management Plan has been approved by the Ministry of Forest, Environment, and Climate Change.
- Karnataka is the first state in southern India and the second state in the country to have prepared and approved the plan as per the new CRZ notification.
- The plan will boost the economy and tourism in the coastal region of the state.
- Recently, 18 projects have been completed under the Sagarmala Project and the Union Ministry of Inland Transport and Ports has approved 14 schemes worth Rs 950 crore.
- The Modi government has approved the development of the Maajali port in Karwar at a cost of Rs 350 crore.
- The Central Government has approved the supply of 100 high-speed boats to help deep-sea fishing under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada scheme.
- The government has implemented the Vidyanidhi scheme for the benefit of 2 lakh children of fishermen.
- 2019 CRZ notification:
- On November 1, 2021, the Government of India issued a notification on proposed changes to the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) Notification 2019 in the exercise of its powers under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.
- The 2019 notification declared certain coastal parts as Coastal Regulation Zones, and the setting up of industries and expansion are prohibited activities in these areas.
Topic: National News
4. PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the 'Kartavya Path' on September 8.
- The iconic Rajpath from Rashtrapati Bhavan to India Gate renamed as Kartavya Path (Path of Duty).
- Rajpath was known as Kingsway during British rule. It is the place where the Republic Day parade takes place every year on 26 January.
- On this occasion, the Prime Minister also unveiled the granite statue of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at India Gate.
- A hologram statue of Bose was unveiled on the occasion of Netaji's birthday on 23 January.
- The 28 ft high statue, crafted by the chief sculptor Shri Arun Yogiraj, is carved out of a single granite stone and weighs 65 metric tons.
- These steps are in line with the Prime Minister's second 'Panch Pran' for a new India in the Amrit Kaal: 'Remove any trace of colonial mentality'.
Topic: Important Days
5. World Physical Therapy Day 2022: 8 September
- Every year on September 8, World Physical Therapy Day is celebrated.
- The theme of World PT Day 2022 is "Osteoarthritis and the role of physiotherapists".
- World PT Day 2022 is aimed at promoting the role of physiotherapists in the prevention of osteoarthritis and in the management of people affected by osteoarthritis.
- The 8 September was declared as World PT Day in 1996.
- This day was established by the World Confederation for Physical Therapy.
- In 2023, the focus will be related to rheumatology conditions.
- In 1813, the Swedish poet, Per Heinrich Ling introduced real physiotherapy to the world.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
6. A National Conference 'Manthan' inaugurated by Nitin Gadkari in Bengaluru.
- Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, inaugurated a two-day National Conference titled "Manthan" on 8 September in Bengaluru.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has organised the Conference.
- It aims to engage with States, Union Territories and other key stakeholders of the industry to discuss a range of issues and opportunities in the roads, transport and logistics sector and share best practices, policy support and capacity development.
- The theme of Manthan is “IDEAS TO ACTION: Towards a smart, sustainable, road infra, mobility and logistics ecosystem”.
- During the event, the next-gen M Transport mobile app has also been launched.
- During the event, the Minister stated that Water, Power, Transport, and Communication are the four sectors that can turn our country into a super economic super power.
- He emphasized reducing logistics costs from 16% to 10% by enhancing waterways and implementing a multi-modal transportation system.
- Shri Gadkari announced 10 winners of the Hackathon. Each winner will get Rs 10 lakh for the development of apps that will transform the road transport sector.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
7. India-US 2 plus 2 inter-sessional meeting organized in New Delhi on 07 September 2022.
- The meeting was led by senior officials from External Affairs Ministry and Ministry of Defence and US Departments of State and Defence.
- They reviewed the outcomes of the 22 Ministerial Dialogue of April 2022.
- The fourth India-U.S. 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue was held in Washington in April 2022.
- India-US Ministerial 2 plus 2 Dialogue:
- It was first held in 2018 in New Delhi.
- It is the highest level institutional mechanism between US and India in which the defense and foreign ministers from both countries meet.
- Apart from the US, India also takes part in 2+2 Dialogue with Japan, Russia and Australia.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Personality in News
8. Queen Elizabeth II passed away recently at the age of 96 after reigning for 70 years.
- She breathed her last on 08 September 2022 at her Scottish estate Balmoral.
- She is the UK's longest-serving monarch. She took the throne in 1952. King Charles III is her son.
- Her reign spanned 15 Prime Ministers starting with Winston Churchill and including Ms Truss.
- She was born as Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor, in Mayfair, London, on 21 April 1926.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, was the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Space and IT
9. China’s first fully solar-powered unmanned aerial vehicle completed its maiden test flight successfully.
- The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) took off from the airport of Shaanxi province and fly for 26 minutes.
- “QIMINGXING 50" or Morning Star-50 is the first large-sized UAV powered only by solar energy.
- It has a wingspan of 164ft. It can operate for months or even years without break, according to the designer of the drone.
- It is also the first high-altitude, low-speed drone produced by the Chinese aviation sector.
- It can fly in near space from 20km to 100km with stable airflow and no clouds.
- These drones are also referred to as ‘High Altitude Platform Stations’ or pseudo-satellites.
- In July 2022, the US Army tested a solar-powered, near-space Airbus Zephyr S drone. It had created a record by being airborne for 42 days.
- These types of drones can be used in surveillance missions. It can be used for monitoring forest fires and conducting high-altitude reconnaissance.
Topic: International News
10. United States has issued the highest number of student visas to India in 2022.
- The United States issued 82000 student visas to Indians in 2022.
- Indian students received the highest number of US student visas as compared to other countries.
- Indian students comprise nearly 20 per cent of all international students studying in the United States.
- The Indian diaspora in the United States is approximately 4.8 million individuals, which is around 1% of the US population.
- The largest source of remittances for India is the United States, it is followed by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Switzerland.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
11. Union Minister Piyush Goyal launched US Startup SETU- Supporting Entrepreneurs in Transformation programme in San Francisco.
- This initiative will help in connecting start-ups in India to US-based investors and start-up ecosystem leaders.
- It will assist Indian startups in various fields including funding, market access, and commercialization.
- SETU initiative will break the geographical barriers between mentors based in the US and startups in India.
- The interaction will be facilitated through the mentorship portal MAARG (Mentorship, Advisory, Assistance, Resilience, and Growth) under the Startup India initiative.
- A mentor will assist the startups through human intelligence. More than 200 mentors are on the MAARG portal.
- MAARG portal:
- It is a one-stop mentorship platform to facilitate mentorship for startups across diverse sectors.
- Startups can connect with academicians, industry experts, and successful founders through this portal.
- The main function of this portal is to improve ease of access, use artificial Intelligence for matchmaking, schedule meetings virtually, host masterclasses, etc.
12. DRDO and Indian Army successfully conducted six flight tests of the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile system.
- The flight tests of the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile system have been conducted from Chandipur, off the Odisha coast.
- The flight tests have been carried out against high-speed aerial targets as part of the evaluation trials by the Indian Army.
- The data captured by many range instruments like Telemetry, Radar and Electro-Optical Tracking Systems (EOTS), confirmed the performance of the system.
- These tests were conducted under deployment of all indigenously-developed sub-systems, including the missile with indigenous Radio Frequency (RF) seeker, mobile launcher, fully automated command and control system, surveillance and multi-function Radars.
- QRSAM (Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile system)
- It is a short-range Surface-Air Missile (SAM) system that is designed to protect the Army's moving armoured from aerial attack.
- The uniqueness of the QRSAM weapon system is that it can operate in a moving position. It has the capability to search and track capability & fire on short halt.
- QRSAM weapon system will be very useful in enhancing the strength of the armed forces.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
13. PM Modi addressed the 7th Eastern Economic Forum held in Vladivostok through video conferencing.
- The Eastern Economic Forum 2022 took place from 5–8 September 2022 in the Far Eastern Federal University (FEFU) campus in Vladivostok.
- In his speech, Prime Minister Modi stated that India is prepared to bolster its relationships with Russia on Arctic subjects.
- He said that there is immense scope for enhancing cooperation in the field of energy.
- In the Eastern Economic Forum in 2019, he had announced India's Act Far-East policy.
- As a result, India’s cooperation with the Russian Far East has increased in many fields.
- India was the first country to open a consulate in Vladivostok. The 30th anniversary of the establishment has been completed.
- Russia is the largest investment destination for Indian oil and gas companies.
- Eastern Economic Forum (EEF):
- It was established by Vladimir Putin in 2015.
- It is a key international platform for establishing and strengthening ties within the Russian and global investment communities.
- It is held each year since 2015 in Vladivostok, Russia.
Topic: Space and IT
14. NASA’s Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment (MOXIE) instrument generated oxygen on Mars.
- The Mars oxygen in-situ resource utilisation experiment (MOXIE) instrument has successfully produced oxygen from the atmosphere of Mars.
- MOXIE instrument is part of NASA’s Perseverance rover mission.
- As per a report, the MOXIE instrument has been successful in producing oxygen equivalent to a tree in all seasons of Mars.
- The instrument has produced oxygen in different environmental conditions on Mars during the seven experimental runs.
- MOXIE has achieved the target of producing oxygen six grams per hour in each run.
- MOXIE instrument has used the “in-situ resource utilization” method for producing oxygen.
- The current version of the instrument is very small and is for shorter periods.
- The non-availability of oxygen on other planets forces rockets to carry oxygen from Earth, which increases the payload.
Personality in News :
Bhupen Hazarika’s 96th birth anniversary celebrated on 8th September
- He was an Indian singer, lyricist, musician, poet, actor and filmmaker from Assam.
- He has written and sung songs mainly in the Assamese language.
- He was born on 8 September 1926 in Sadiya, Assam.
- He received many awards including National Film Award for Best Music Direction, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship.
- He was posthumously awarded Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna.
- He served as the Chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi from 1998 to 2003.
- He was famous for his baritone voice and Manush Manusher Jonno (Humans are for humanity) is one of his most popular songs.