- 1. Indian Navy got its fourth submarine INS Vela under Project 75.
- 2. Satya Narayan Pradhan appointed as Director-General of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- 3. Daniel Bruhl named as Global Goodwill Ambassador for UN World Food Programme.
- 4. Defence Secretary released a book titled ‘FORCE IN STATECRAFT’.
- 5. World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- 6. PC Mody appointed as new secretary general of Rajya Sabha.
- 7. PM Modi inaugurated redeveloped Rani Kamlapati Railway Station in Bhopal, M.P.
- 8. Historian Babasaheb Purandare passes away at the age of 99.
- 9. President Ram Nath Kovind promulgated ordinance to extend tenure of CBI and ED Directors.
- 10. Australia lifted the ICC T-20 World Cup trophy by beating New Zealand in the Final.
- 11. Jharkhand Foundation Day: 15 November
- 12. M Mukundan won the JCB Prize for Literature for his book "Delhi: A Soliloquy".
- 13. Russia has begun delivering India with S-400 air defence missile systems.
Success September offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code SEP25
1. Indian Navy got its fourth submarine INS Vela under Project 75.
- Under Project75, the Indian Navy got its fourth submarine ‘INS Vela’. Project - 75 includes the construction of six submarines of Scorpene design.
- These submarines will be constructed at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), under collaboration with M/s Naval Group, France.
- ‘INS Vela’ submarine would soon be commissioned into the Indian Navy and it will strengthen the Indian Navy's capability.
- INS Karanj, INS Kalvari, and INS Khanderi are inducted into the Indian Navy under Project-75. Currently, the Indian Navy has 12 submarines.
- The fifth submarine ‘Vagir’ was launched on November 12, 2020 and it will go for the maiden surface sortie in December.
2. Satya Narayan Pradhan appointed as Director-General of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- Satya Narayan Pradhan has been appointed as Director-General of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) on a deputation basis till August 31, 2024, or until further orders.
- Satya Narayan Pradhan is a Jharkhand cadre 1988-batch IPS officer. He was currently serving as Director-General of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
- He was given additional charge of NCB Director-General after Rakesh Asthana was appointed as Delhi Police Commissioner.
- Recently, Atul Karwal was appointed as Director-General of NDRF.
3. Daniel Bruhl named as Global Goodwill Ambassador for UN World Food Programme.
- Actor and director Daniel Brühl has been named as Global Goodwill Ambassador for UN World Food Programme.
- He joined the UN World Food Programme to end Hunger from the world. Daniel Brühl will help in raising awareness for the millions of people going to bed hungry every night.
- He will also use this platform to inform his supporters about the main factors of hunger.
- According to an estimate, a 2°C rise in average global temperature from pre-industrial levels will push an additional 189 million people into hunger.
- SDG 2: It aims to end hunger and all forms of malnutrition, and double agricultural productivity in the next 15 years.
Topic: Books and Authors
4. Defence Secretary released a book titled ‘FORCE IN STATECRAFT’.
- Defence Secretary Dr. Ajay Kumar released a book titled ‘FORCE IN STATECRAFT’.
- It is an edited volume by Commandant of National Defence College (NDC) Air Marshal Diptendu Choudhury and Air Vice Marshal (Dr) Arjun Subramaniam.
- The contributors of the book are stalwarts of the Armed Forces, who have vast operational experience.
- In his address, the Defence Secretary termed the launch of the book as a leadership act of NDC. The book has been endorsed by eminent personalities.
Topic: Important Days
5. World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World Diabetes Day is celebrated every year on 14 November. Its main goal is to aware people about Diabetes.
- World Diabetes Day is celebrated by the International Diabetes Federation across the world. It provides an opportunity to raise awareness about diabetes as a global public health issue.
- It is also observed to mark the birth anniversary of Sir Frederick Banting. He discovered insulin hormone along with Charles Herbert Best in 1922
- World Diabetes Day was first celebrated in 1991 by the International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization to raise awareness about diabetes.
- World Diabetes Day was officially recognized by the United Nations in 2006. The theme of this year’s World Diabetes Day is ‘Access to Diabetes Care – If Not Now, When?’.
- According to an estimate, around 463 million people worldwide are suffering from diabetes.
6. PC Mody appointed as new secretary general of Rajya Sabha.
- Former CBDT chairman PC Mody has been appointed as the new secretary-general of Rajya Sabha.
- He has taken place of PPK Ramacharyulu. Ramacharyulu has now been appointed as an advisor in the Rajya Sabha Secretariat.
- Ramacharyulu was appointed as the secretary-general of the Rajya Sabha on 1 September. He is the first-ever Rajya Sabha employee who has been promoted as secretary-general.
Topic: State News/ Madhya Pradesh
7. PM Modi inaugurated redeveloped Rani Kamlapati Railway Station in Bhopal, M.P.
- PM Modi has inaugurated redeveloped Rani Kamlapati Railway Station in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Redeveloped Rani Kamlapati Railway station is the first world class railway station in Madhya Pradesh.
- It is named after brave and fearless Queen Kamalapati of the Gond kingdom. It is developed as a hub for integrated multi-modal transport.
- During the inauguration event, PM Modi also flagged off two new MEMU trains between Ujjain-Indore and Indore-Ujjain.
- PM Modi also virtually inaugurated Birsa Munda Museum (Birsa Munda Smriti Udayan Sah Swantantra Senani Sangrahalaya) in Ranchi in Jharkhand.
- He also addressed Jan Jatiya Diwas Mahasammelan in Madhya Pradesh.
Topic: Personality in News
8. Historian Babasaheb Purandare passes away at the age of 99.
- Renowned historian Babasaheb Purandare (Balwant Moreshwar Purandare) passed away at the age of 99 in Pune hospital.
- He was a well-known orator, ballad singer, theatre artist, and historian.
- He inspired the modern-day youth to follow the footsteps of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- He is well known as Shivshahir Babasaheb Purandare. He was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 2019.
- He was awarded Maharashtra Bhushan for his works devoted to propagate the history of Maharashtra, especially of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- Babasaheb carried Shivcharitra to the new generation through stories, novels, lectures, and epics.
- A book titled Thinagya is collection of his stories on Shivaji’s life. Raja Shiva Chhatrapati, Kesari, Agra, Rajgad, Shelarkhind are his popular books.
- He is famous for Jaanta Raja, a play based on the life of Shivaji Maharaj.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Indian Polity
9. President Ram Nath Kovind promulgated ordinance to extend tenure of CBI and ED Directors.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has promulgated an ordinance to extend the tenure of the Directors of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED) up to five years.
- The Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act and The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) Act have been amended to extend the tenure.
- At present, the tenure for the chiefs of both central agencies is two years. The directors of CBI and ED cannot be removed before the end of their tenure.
- The ordinance has come days before the extended tenure of ED Director Sanjay Kumar Mishra is scheduled to end.
- In a recent judgement, Supreme Court had held Mishra’s tenure of three years to be legal but had asked the government not to extend it any further.
- Recently, Subodh Kumar Jaiswal has been appointed as CBI Director for two-year term till May 2023.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI):
Enforcement Directorate (ED):
It is an investigating agency in India.
It works under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
It was established on the recommendation of the Santhanam Committee.
It is a specialized financial investigation agency under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
It implements the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), and the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002.
It was formed in the Department of Economic Affairs under the Foreign Exchange Regulation Act, 1947.
In the year 1957, the name of this unit was changed to Enforcement Directorate.
10. Australia lifted the ICC T-20 World Cup trophy by beating New Zealand in the Final.
- Australia has defeated New Zealand in the final by 8 wickets to win T20 World Cup title at the Dubai International Stadium. It is the maiden T20 World Cup title for Australia.
- Initially, Australian captain Aaron Finch won the toss and chose to bowl first.
- For New Zealand, Kane Williamson scored a brilliant 85 in 48 balls, managed to reach a total of 172 for 4 in 20 overs limited match.
- Australia was chasing a target of 173 runs and won the match with 7 balls to spare.
- David Warner and Mitchell Marsh was the top scorer from the Australian side, who scored 53 and 77, respectively, while Trent Boult took 2 wickets in 4 overs.
- Mitchell Marsh has received Player of the Match and David Warner has won Player of the series.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
11. Jharkhand Foundation Day: 15 November
- The state of Jharkhand celebrates its foundation day on November 15 every year.
- Jharkhand is a beautiful state, often known as 'The Land of Forests' or 'Bushland,' is located in northeastern India.
- The state is bordered by Bihar in the north, Uttar Pradesh in the northwest, Chhattisgarh in the west, Odisha in the south, and West Bengal in the east.
- Jharkhand was carved out of Bihar in 2000 to form the 28th state of India after the Bihar Reorganization Act, 2000, was passed by the Parliament.
- Jharkhand has 24 districts, and the total area of Jharkhand is approximately 79,716 km, making it the 15th largest state by area.
- This state lies on the Chota Nagpur Plateau.
Topic: Books and Authors
12. M Mukundan won the JCB Prize for Literature for his book "Delhi: A Soliloquy".
- M Mukundan, a Malayalam author, has won the JCB literature Prize 2021 for his book Delhi: A Soliloquy.
- Fathima EV has translated the book into English, and the book has been published by Westland.
- Nandakumar K. Mukundan has also received the prize trophy, which is a sculpture by Delhi artist duo Thukral & Tagra, titled ‘Mirror Melting’. He has also received prize money of Rs. 25 lakh.
- "Delhi: A Soliloquy" is the third Malayalam translation book to receive the JCB Book Prize.
- First, Benyamin had received the prize in 2018 for his book Jasmine Days (Juggernaut), and S Hareesh had won the prize in 2020 for his book Moustache (Harper Perennial).
- Sara Rai (Chair), Annapurna Garimella, Shahnaz Habib, Prem Panicker, and Amit Varma were on the jury for this prize.
13. Russia has begun delivering India with S-400 air defence missile systems.
- Russia has begun supplying India with the S-400 Triumf air defence missile system, which will significantly improve India's ability to knock out adversary fighter aircraft and cruise missiles at long range.
- Near the western front, the first unit of S-400 Triumf air defence systems will be deployed.
- Dmitry Shugaev, Director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, made the announcement during the Dubai Air Show.
- The Russian government's major defense export control organization is the Federal Service of Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC).
- According to industry insiders, the first sections of the squadron have begun arriving in India, and they will be deployed in a place where they can take on threats from both Pakistan and Chinese airspace.
- India has purchased the S-400 air defense system for approximately Rs 35,000 crore, and five squadrons would be provided to India to combat air threats up to 400 kilometres away.
- The S-400 missile defense system is armed with four different missiles that can engage hostile aircraft, ballistic missiles, and AWACS planes at 400 km, 250 km, the medium-range 120 km, and the short-range 40 km.