- 1. International Day for Tolerance: 16 November
- 2. Professor Bimal Patel elected to the International Law Commission for a five-year term.
- 3. Tamil film Koozhangal will be screened at Indian Panorama segment.
- 4. National Press Day: 16 November
- 5. Prime Minister inaugurated Purvanchal Expressway in Sultanpur district of Uttar Pradesh.
- 6. Prime Minister Modi to inaugurate 82nd edition of 'All India Presiding Officers' Conference in Shimla.
- 7. Rashtra Raksha Samarpan Parv to be organized in Jhansi, UP.
- 8. Eminent Hindi writer Mannu Bhandari passes away at the age of 90.
- 9. Ministry of Culture had organized MP Cup Polo Championship (Sir Pratap Singh Cup) 2021, which concluded successfully.
- 10. TVS Motor Company has become officially a member of the United Nations Global Compact.
- 11. 44th 100 Drums Wangala Festival, 2021 celebrated in Meghalaya.
- 12. 41st Scientific Expedition to Antarctica has been launched by India.
- 13. Indian Navy takes part in 3rd edition of SITMEX.
- 14. Union Government and ADB sign 61-million dollar loan agreement for development of Agartala.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Important Days
1. International Day for Tolerance: 16 November
- International Day for Tolerance is annually observed to spread awareness about the dangers of intolerance.
- In 1996, the UN General Assembly adopted 16 November as the International Day for Tolerance.
- 16 November was chosen to mark the anniversary of UNESCO’s Declaration of Principles on Tolerance.
- In 1995, UNESCO created the Declaration of Principles on Tolerance to define and to aware people regarding tolerance.
- UNESCO also formed Madanjeet Singh Prize to recognize that tolerance is a universal human right. The prize is awarded every two years on the International Day for Tolerance.
Topic: Personality in News
2. Professor Bimal Patel elected to the International Law Commission for a five-year term.
- Professor Bimal Patel has been elected to the International Law Commission for a five-year term.
- He received 163 votes in the UN General Assembly out of 192 members present and voting.
- In the Asia-Pacific group, India topped with 163 votes, followed by Thailand with 162 votes.
- Bimal Patel is an educationalist, jurist and administrator. He has served at various positions and he was a member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
- He worked at different global organizations such as the United Nations of Youth and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
3. Tamil film Koozhangal will be screened at Indian Panorama segment.
- Tamil film Koozhangal will be screened at the Indian Panorama segment in the 52nd International film festival Goa.
- Tamil film Koozhangal is India's official entry for Academy Award for Oscars.
- It is a story about the relationship between an alcoholic, abusive husband and his wife. The story is from the viewpoint of their Child.
- The 52nd International Film Festival of India will be organized from 20th-28th November 2021 in Goa.
- The International Film Festival of India is one of India's biggest international film festivals.
Topic: Important Days
4. National Press Day: 16 November
- Every year National Press Day is celebrated on 16 November. It is observed to recognize the importance of the free and responsible press in a democratic society.
- It is observed to mark the establishment of the Press Council of India. 16 November is a symbol of the free and responsible press in India.
- In 1956, the First Press Commission planned to form a Press Council to protect freedom of the press in India.
- Press Council of India is a statutory and quasi-judicial body that works as a watchdog to oversee the print media’s conduct. It works under the Press Council Act 1978.
- It was formed on the recommendations of the First Press Commission in 1966 for protecting freedom of the press and maintaining the standards of press in India.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
5. Prime Minister inaugurated Purvanchal Expressway in Sultanpur district of Uttar Pradesh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Purvanchal Expressway at KarwalKheri in Sultanpur district of Uttar Pradesh.
- He will also witness an Airshow of Indian Air Force on the airstrip constructed on the Purvanchal Expressway.
- Purvanchal Expressway starts from village Chaudsara located in Lucknow district and ends at Haidaria village on National Highway 31 in Ghazipur.
- Its total length is 340.824km and it is a six-lane expressway, which can be upgraded to eight lanes.
- Purvanchal Expressway connects Lucknow to the eastern region via Azamgarh. It will boost economic development in Lucknow, Barabanki, Amethi, Ayodhya, Sultanpur, Ambedkar Nagar, Azamgarh, Mau, and Ghazipur.
- The journey from Ghaziabad to Ghazipur can now be covered in less than 12 hours.
- Purvanchal Expressway doesn’t have stones installed on the slopes on either side of road. ‘Jio cells’ made of plastic have been used on the slopes of the roads.
- The expressway will have seven major bridges, seven railway overbridges, 114 minor bridges, and 271 underpasses.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
6. Prime Minister Modi to inaugurate 82nd edition of 'All India Presiding Officers' Conference in Shimla.
- The 82nd edition of All India Presiding Officers’ Conference (AIPOC) will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Modi in Shimla.
- The first Conference was held in Shimla in 1921 and the AIPOC is being held in Shimla for the seventh time.
- All India Presiding Officers’ Conference (AIPOC) is celebrating its hundred years in 2021.
- In this conference, various issues will be discussed such as responsibility of presiding officers towards the Constitution, the House and the people.
Topic: State News/Uttar Pradesh
7. Rashtra Raksha Samarpan Parv to be organized in Jhansi, UP.
- Three-day Rashtra Raksha Samarpan Parv will be organized from November 17-19, 2021 in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The event is a part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahaotsav’ celebrations. Raksha Mantri will inaugurate the event on November 17.
- Prime Minister to launch a number of schemes in a grand ceremony being organised in the precincts of Jhansi Fort on November 19.
- 19 November is the Birth Anniversary of Rani Lakshmi Bai. Rashtra Raksha Samarpan Parv is being organised along with the Government of Uttar Pradesh.
- New initiatives to be launched include setting up of hundred new Sainik Schools, the launch of NCC Border and Coastal Scheme, NCC Alumni Association and National Programme of Simulation Training for NCC cadets.
- Foundation stone of Rs 400 crore project of Bharat Dynamics Ltd at Jhansi node of UP Defence Industrial Corridor will also be laid.
- PM will hand over indigenously developed Light Combat Helicopter, drones/UAVs and Advanced EW suite for naval ships to the Armed Forces.
- Digital kiosk at National War Memorial will be launched to pay tribute to fallen heroes and the National War Memorial mobile app.
Topic: Personality in News
8. Eminent Hindi writer Mannu Bhandari passes away at the age of 90.
- Eminent Hindi writer Mannu Bhandari passed away at the age of 90.
- She was the wife of late Hindi fiction writer Rajendra Yadav. She was known for her novels 'Aapki Banti' and 'Mahabhoj'.
- Her famous novel 'Yahi Sach Hai' was adapted into a Hindi movie 'Rajnigandha' in 1974.
- She is one of the pioneers of the Nayi Kahaani literary Movement.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
9. Ministry of Culture had organized MP Cup Polo Championship (Sir Pratap Singh Cup) 2021, which concluded successfully.
- The Ministry of Culture organized the final match of the MP CUP POLO CHAMPIONSHIP - SIR PRATAP SINGH CUP 2021 in order to honor and celebrate 75 years of independence and our beautiful cultural history through Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Just in Time Sports Foundation sponsored the event, which was held under the auspices of the Indian Polo Association.
- The Sir Pratap Singh Cup, established in 1921, is one of India's most illustrious and prestigious events. With the conclusion of this event, the tournament has completed exactly 100 years.
- The teams Sona Polo and VimalArion Achievers played in the final match. The match was won by Vimal Arion Achievers by 11-8.
- For his outstanding effort, Mr. Juan Cruz Losada has won man of the match.
- The game's history begins with the time when the base of polo in India was established in 1892 as the Indian Polo Association (IPA).
- In 1921, Maharaja Sir Pratap Singh of Jodhpur presented this cup in honour of HRH The Duke of Connaught's visit to India. It is a 14 Goal trophy.
- It was first held in Delhi in 1921, and the Patiala Team won it.
- Polo has also been referred to as India's "Heritage Sport." The Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrates India's heritage, and the event showcases our sports' cultural heritage.
10. TVS Motor Company has become officially a member of the United Nations Global Compact.
- The flagship company of the $8.5 billion TVS Group, TVS Motor Company, has announced its participation in the United Nations Global Compact, the world's largest sustainability initiative.
- The company has joined the UN Global Compact, a voluntary project based on CEO commitments to implement universal sustainability principles. It is the first Indian two-wheeler and three-wheeler manufacturer to do so.
- With access to the necessary tools and experts as part of the United Nations Global Compact, we will be able to expand on our efforts across the supply chain.
- The promise will be followed by all TVS Motor Company offices and operations worldwide, including those in India, Singapore, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, and Europe.
- The commitment for promoting the United Nations Global Compact Principles and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) has prompted socially responsible organizations across India to join the effort.
- The United Nations Global Compact encourages its member companies to align their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption.
Topic: State News/ Meghalaya
11. 44th 100 Drums Wangala Festival, 2021 celebrated in Meghalaya.
- The 44th 100 Drums Wangala Festival, 2021 is held at Chibragre about 13 kilometres in Meghalaya.
- The first day of the 100 Drums Wangala Festival was celebrated by the launch of the handloom and handicrafts exhibition.
- The festival was inaugurated by Garo Hills Autonomous District Council in the presence of GHADC Chiarman, Rakesh Sangma.
- 100 Drums Wangala Festival was started in the year 1978 to preserve the culture and customs of the A’chik people.
- The festival is celebrated in honour of the Sun God and marks the end of the long harvest season. It is celebrated by Garo Tribes.
- The Wangala is also known as the Festival of Hundred Drums. It is celebrated with different forms of dances.
Topic: Science and Technology
12. 41st Scientific Expedition to Antarctica has been launched by India.
- 41st Scientific Expedition to Antarctica has been successfully launched by India.
- The first batch of 23 scientists and support staff reached the Indian Antarctic Station Maitri last week.
- Four more batches will reach Antarctica by air using Dronning Maud Land Air Network (DROMLAN) facility and onboard chartered ice-class vessel MV VasiliyGolovnin by mid-January 2022.
- The 41st expedition has two major programmes. First programme involves geological exploration of the Amery ice-shelf at Bharati Station.
- Second programme involves preparatory work for drilling of 500 metres of ice core near Maitri. It will help in understanding the Antarctic climate.
- National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research (NCPOR), Goa manages the entire Indian Antarctic program. NCPOR is an autonomous institute under the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- Dronning Maud Land Air Network (DROMLAN) is a project between 11 countries to create a coordinated logistics service to reduce costs. India is a participating country in DROMLAN.
13. Indian Navy takes part in 3rd edition of SITMEX.
- Indian Navy took part in 3rd edition of India, Singapore and Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise, SITMEX.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk participated in SITMEX-21 from 15 to 16 Nov 21 in Andaman Sea.
- Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) was represented by RSS Tenacious. Royal Thai Navy (RTN) was represented by His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Thayanchon.
- 2021 edition of the SITMEX is being hosted by Royal Thai Navy (RTN) in Andaman Sea.
14. Union Government and ADB sign 61-million dollar loan agreement for development of Agartala.
- Union Government and Asian Development Bank (ADB) sign 61-million dollar loan agreement for development of Agartala.
- Rajat Kumar Mishra signed the agreement for Government of India and Country Director of ADB’s India Resident Mission Takeo Konishi signed for ADB.
- Rajat Kumar Mishra is additional Secretary in Department of Economic Affairs under Finance Ministry.
- The project will build and upgrade 48 kilometres of new or existing stormwater drainage and construct 23 kilometres of climate-resilient urban roads.
- Other interventions include creating water recreation and lakeside walkways in the Maharaja Bir Bikram College Lake and Ujjayanta Palace. Both are major tourist attractions in the city.
(Source: News on AIR)