- 1. Numaligarh Refinery has been upgraded to ‘Schedule A’ category enterprise.
- 2. Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif to hand over power to the caretaker government.
- 3. PM Modi has been awarded France's highest award.
- 4. An MoU was signed by Defence Ministry and FSSAI to promote the use of millet and healthy eating practices among armed forces.
- 5. World's largest International Temple Convention and Expo will be held in Varanasi.
- 6. Tamil Nadu received its first flight training organization.
- 7. India will host ASEAN Countries Conference on Traditional Medicines on 20th July 2023.
- 8. INS Sunayna took part in Op Southern Readiness 2023.
- 9. Global public debt reached to record $92 trillion in 2022.
- 10. 120th anniversary of the India Government Mint is celebrated in Hyderabad.
- 11. J&K Rural Livelihood Mission was conferred with Skoch Award in the Gold category.
- 12. Two thermal power projects approved by the UP government worth Rs 18,000 crore at Sonbhadra's Obra.
- 13. Defence Acquisition Council approved the proposal of buying 26 Rafale fighter aircraft for Indian Navy.
- 14. Odisha cabinet approved the inclusion of the Kui language in the 8th schedule.
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
1. Numaligarh Refinery has been upgraded to ‘Schedule A’ category enterprise.
- Numaligarh Refinery in Assam has been upgraded from ‘Schedule B’ to ‘Schedule A’ category enterprise by the government.
- The upgradation Numaligarh Refinery has been notified by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- The upgradation of Numaligarh Refinery will make it eligible for achieving the status of Navratna.
- It will allow Numaligarh Refinery to undertake more complex projects.
- Now, Numaligarh Refinery can take more speedy decisions in creating joint ventures, Strategic partnerships and special-purpose vehicles
- A Navratna company has the autonomy to invest up to Rs 1000 crore without approval from the central government.
- Numaligarh Refinery:
- It is one of the top 20CPSE in India both in terms of sales revenue and profitability.
- Numaligarh Refinery is the largest refinery in northeast India and has a capacity of 3 million metric tonnes per annum.
- It is currently implementing projects of investments of Rs 35000 crores in the region.
Topic: India and its neighbours
2. Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif to hand over power to the caretaker government.
- Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif has decided to hand over power to the caretaker government in August 2023.
- The caretaker government will supervise the national election, which will be held within 60 days of the dissolution of the National Assembly.
- Shehbaz Sharif became the Prime Minister of Pakistan in 2022 after leading a coalition of parties.
- The polling date will be announced soon by the Election Commission.
- The fresh election is likely to end the political turmoil in Pakistan.
- It will be only the third time in Pakistan’s history that the National Assembly will complete its five-year term.
- On 13th July, International Monetary Fund's (IMF) board approved a three billion-dollar bailout package for Pakistan.
- Pakistan will get about 1.2 billion dollars upfront and the rest is due to be paid out over the next nine months.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. PM Modi has been awarded France's highest award.
- On July 14, the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour, the highest of France’s civilian and military honours, has been awarded to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- President Emmanuel Macron presented the award to PM Modi at the Élysée Palace in Paris.
- With this, PM Modi has become the first Indian PM to receive this honor.
- The Legion of Honor, founded by Napoleon Bonaparte, consists of five degrees.
- The Grand Cross's ribbon is red, and the badge features a five-armed Maltese asterisk on an oak and laurel wreath.
- In the past, selected prominent leaders and eminent personalities have received the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour from across the world.
- These include former South African President Nelson Mandela, King Charles-then Prince of Wales, former German Chancellor Angela Merkel, and former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali, among others.
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
4. An MoU was signed by Defence Ministry and FSSAI to promote the use of millet and healthy eating practices among armed forces.
- On July 13, an MoU was signed in New Delhi to promote the use of millet and healthy food practices among the armed forces and to ensure the availability of safe and nutritious food.
- The MoU was signed by Lt Gen Preet Mohinder Singh, Director General (Supply & Transport), Ministry of Defense, and Shri G Kamala Vardhan Rao, CEO, FSSAI.
- It aims to create awareness among personnel about dietary diversity and the nutritional benefits of millet-based food products.
- The MoU will also pave the way for the introduction of millet-based menus in messes, canteens, and other food outlets under the Ministry of Defence.
- The collaboration will also ensure training of food handlers and cooks of messes, armed forces canteens and other food outlets on food safety and hygiene as per the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006.
- The MoU will encourage Armed Forces families and the community at large to adopt a nutritious diet, make healthy food choices and maintain food security.
- FSSAI's book 'Healthy Recipes for Defence' includes a range of nutritious grain-based recipes.
- Millets are known for their nutritional value and can contribute to a balanced and varied diet.
5. World's largest International Temple Convention and Expo will be held in Varanasi.
- The International Temple Convention and Expo will be held from July 22 to 24 at the Rudraksha Convention Center in Varanasi.
- It will be organized by Temple Connect (India).
- It is the world's first event entirely dedicated to the management of temples around the world and will focus on nurturing and empowering the governance, management, and operations of the temple ecosystem.
- It has been conceptualized by Giresh Kulkarni, Founder of Temple Connect, along with Prasad Lad (Chairman, International Temples Convention & Expo), and Show Director & Co-Curator Meghaa Ghosh.
- The three-day event will create space for free-flowing exchange of ideas, learning, and invaluable insights among like-minded dignitaries at the helm of temple management.
- The convention will be inaugurated by Mohan Bhagwat (Sarsanghchalak of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh).
- Antodaya Pratishthan has also supported the event. It works in the field of CSR in the areas of cleanliness, health, and community service on a large scale in Mumbai and the rest of Maharashtra.
Topic: State News/ Tamil Nadu
6. Tamil Nadu received its first flight training organization.
- On 11 July, Tamil Nadu’s first Flight Training Organisation (FTO) has been approved by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation.
- EKVI Air Training Organization Pvt Ltd, located at Salem Airport in Tamil Nadu, got approval to set up an FTO.
- It is the only flying training organization in the entire state of Tamil Nadu.
- This will be India's 36th flying training organization that has been approved by the DGCA.
- It will provide training opportunities to aspiring pilots from Tamil Nadu as per DGCA standards and contribute to the growth of the aviation industry in the country.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
|April Monthly Current Affairs||March Monthly Current Affairs|
7. India will host ASEAN Countries Conference on Traditional Medicines on 20th July 2023.
- The conference will be held in New Delhi after almost a decade.
- Ten ASEAN countries including Cambodia, and Vietnam will take part in the conference.
- It will be hosted by the Ministry of Ayush with support from the Ministry of External Affairs, Indian Mission to ASEAN and the ASEAN Secretariat.
- The aim of the Conference on Traditional Medicines is to strengthen the platform between India and ASEAN Countries to share their best practices.
- It also aims to draw a roadmap for future cooperation in the field of Traditional Medicines.
8. INS Sunayna took part in Op Southern Readiness 2023.
- It was at Seychelles from 10-12 July 2023 to take part in Op Southern Readiness 2023.
- Op Southern Readiness 2023 was conducted by Combined Maritime Forces (CMF).
- Op Southern Readiness 2023 is a multinational initiative. It is aimed at enhancing maritime security, countering piracy to ensure safety and freedom of navigation in the region.
- Navies from the USA, Italy, the UK, Seychelles Defence Forces & Marine Police, and member nations of EUNAVFOR participated in it.
- A CMF delegation from Bahrain headed by Cmde Oliver, Commander of CTF56 witnessed the training exercises onboard.
- Combined Maritime Forces was established in February 2002. Its personnel and ships are drawn from 33 nations.
- INS Sunayna is Indian Navy’s second Saryu-class patrol vessel. It is built indigenously by the Goa Shipyard Limited.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
9. Global public debt reached to record $92 trillion in 2022.
- According to a UN report, Global public debt reached a record of $92 trillion in 2022.
- In the last two decades, Domestic and external debt has increased more than five times.
- The report has been released in the G20 finance ministers and central bank governors' meeting.
- Around 30% of the global public debt is owned by developing countries. 70% of the debt of developing countries is owned by China, India and Brazil.
- 59 developing countries have a debt-to-GDP ratio of more than 60%.
- As per the report, Debt is translating into a substantial burden for developing countries due to financing, rising borrowing costs, currency devaluations and sluggish growth.
- The international financial system has made access to financing for developing countries inadequate and costly.
- Net interest debt payments exceed 10% of revenue for 50 emerging economies around the world.
- In Africa, the amount spent on interest payments is higher than spending on either education or health.
- Private creditors represent 62% of developing countries total external public debt.
- Latin America has the highest ratio of private creditors holding external government debt for any region at 74%.
- A Group of 20 major economies and official creditors adopted the debt treatment framework in October 2020.
Topic: National News
10. 120th anniversary of the India Government Mint is celebrated in Hyderabad.
- With release of commemorative souvenir coins, the 120th anniversary of the India Government Mint has been celebrated in Hyderabad.
- These souvenir coins were crafted of silver and copper.
- It is a tribute to the rich legacy and contributions of the India Government Mint in the field of coinage and minting.
- The commemorative coins have been released by the Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Ltd (SPMCIL) Chairman and Managing Director SK Sinha.
- India Government Mint in Hyderabad is producing high-quality coins and other minted products for more than 100 years.
- It is committed to maintain the highest standards of quality and security in the production of coins, medals, and other minted products.
- India Government Mint, Hyderabad:
- It is one of the four mints in India.
- It was originally established in 1803 AD as the Royal Mint for the Nizam of Hyderabad.
- It was founded by Mir Akbar Ali Khan Sikander Jah and Asaf Jah III.
- The Government of India took over the control of mint in 1950.
Topic: State News/ Jammu and Kashmir
11. J&K Rural Livelihood Mission was conferred with Skoch Award in the Gold category.
- The Jammu and Kashmir Rural Livelihoods Mission (JKRLM) has been awarded the SKOCH Award under the theme "State of Governance India 2047" in the gold category.
- JKRLM has been awarded for its efforts in providing marketing opportunities to Self Help Groups (SHGs) in the Union Territory.
- This is the first award the Mission has received since the launch of the scheme. This honor is a reflection of the remarkable achievement of the organization.
- The Jammu and Kashmir Rural Livelihoods Mission has initiated several important programs which have transformed the lives of countless women associated with Self Help Groups.
- The prime examples of these initiatives are The AVSAR scheme, Umeed Women’s Haat, and District Rural Haat, SHG products available on e-commerce platforms.
- This has not only provided an opportunity for the SHGs to showcase their products but has also provided several marketing opportunities.
- JKRLM aims at reducing poverty in the state by building strong grassroots-level institutions for the poor, involving them in gainful livelihood interventions, and ensuring appreciable improvement in their income on a sustainable basis.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
12. Two thermal power projects approved by the UP government worth Rs 18,000 crore at Sonbhadra's Obra.
- On 11 July, two 'Obra D' thermal power projects approved by the Uttar Pradesh government of 800 MW each will be built at the cost of Rs 18,000 crore in Sonbhadra's Obra.
- The aim of this move is to provide cheaper electricity to the people of the state.
- The cabinet meeting was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, in which the 'Obra D' thermal power plant was approved.
- During the Global Investors Summit, Government signed an agreement with NTPC to set up a thermal plant at Obra.
- The government will implement the projects in a 50:50 partnership with the central government-owned NTPC.
- The 70% amount will be arranged from financial institutions, while 30% equity will be given for the implementation of the projects.
- The 'Obra D' thermal power plant will be the first ultra-supercritical unit in the state.
- The first unit will be ready in about 50 months.
- UP has a current capacity of 7,000 MW in terms of thermal power generation and the two plants will contribute about 25% of the existing capacity.
13. Defence Acquisition Council approved the proposal of buying 26 Rafale fighter aircraft for Indian Navy.
- The Defence Acquisition Council approved the acquisition of 26 Rafale fighter aircraft and three new submarines for the Indian Navy.
- These 26 Rafale fighter aircraft comprise 22 single-seated Rafale marine aircraft and four twin-seater trainer versions.
- Three additional Scorpene class diesel-electric submarines will be also procured from France under Buy (Indian) category, which will be constructed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL).
- It will have high indigenous content, and will help in improving the operational preparedness of the Indian Navy.
- This deal is likely to be signed during ongoing PM Narendra Modi’s visit to France. These deals will be of around Rs 90,000 crore.
- Rafale fighter aircraft for Indian Navy will be deployed on the INS Vikrant and INS Vikramaditya.
- In recent years, it will be the second fighter jet purchase from the French aerospace major Dassault Aviation.
- At present, IAF is operating 36 Rafale jets procured under a €7.87 bn deal signed in April 2016.
- These proposals have been approved in a meeting attended by Defence Minister Rajanth Singh, Chief of Defence Staff Gen Anil Chauhan and the three service chiefs and senior officials.
Topic: State News/ Odisha
14. Odisha cabinet approved the inclusion of the Kui language in the 8th schedule.
- The cabinet led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik recommended including the Kui language in the 8th schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- The inclusion of the Kui language will help in its preservation, promotion and propagation.
- The publication of content in the Kui language will get momentum and create an ecosystem for its preservation and propagation.
- More than seven lakh Kui-speaking people will get benefit from the inclusion of the Kui language. The Kandh tribe of Odisha will get several benefits with the inclusion of Kui.
- The Eighth Schedule to the Constitution consists of 22 languages.
- Bodo, Dogri, Maithili, and Santhali were added to the 8th schedule by the 92nd Amendment Act of 2003.
- Initially, 14 languages were part of the Eighth Schedule. The other languages were added through different amendments.