- 1. Government will provide free Doordarshan DTH connections in border villages on the Indo-China border.
- 2. All-India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) organized a seminar on the occasion of Sushruta Jayanti-2023.
- 3. HDFC Bank has become the first to link the digital rupee with the UPI QR code.
- 4. India won nine medals at World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships in Brazil.
- 5. Due to the slowdown in the global economy, India's total exports fell by 13% to $60.09 billion.
- 6. RBI cancelled the license of 2 cooperative banks.
- 7. Union Cabinet has approved changes to the Jan Vishwas (Amendment of Provisions) Bill, 2023.
- 8. Vinod Mankara’s book was released from the rocket launchpad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre.
- 9. India and France decided to co-develop the jet engine.
- 10. Government raised windfall tax on crude oil to Rs 1,600 per tonne.
- 11. Shri Ashwini Vaishnav inaugurated the Curtain Raiser of IMC-2023 on 12 July.
- 12. Eastern Cross Taxiways, and the fourth runway inaugurated by Scindia at Delhi airport.
- 13. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched the Chandrayaan-3 on 14 July.
- 14. World Youth Skills Day: 15 July
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: India and its neighbours
1. Government will provide free Doordarshan DTH connections in border villages on the Indo-China border.
- The Government has aimed to distribute one lakh 50 thousand Free Dish connections in villages in border areas.
- This initiative is part of achieving the goal of reaching out to the people living in far-flung and border areas.
- Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur was on a three-day tour to Leh-Ladakh as part of the “Vibrant Village” programme of the government.
- Anurag Thakur held close interaction with the local villagers and administrative officials.
- He also unveiled plans for future initiatives that would further enhance the development of border villages.
- These initiatives include upgrading infrastructure for better connectivity and promoting eco-tourism to leverage the region’s natural beauty.
- He also assured local people that their demands for better digital connectivity, enhancing tourism infrastructure, and sports infrastructure will be implemented on a priority basis.
- India shares 3488 kms of border with China that runs along Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.
2. All-India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) organized a seminar on the occasion of Sushruta Jayanti-2023.
- The seminar commenced on July 13, 2023 and end on July 15, 2023.
- Sushruta Jayanti is celebrated every year on 15th July.
- Sushruta Jayanti is celebrated to honour the Sushruta, hailed as the father of surgery.
- To commemorate his contributions to the field of surgery, the AIIA's Department of Shalyatantra organised an event called "Shalyacon".
- The National Seminar on Shalya Tantra and Sangyaharan was organized in association with AAIM (Bharatiya Sangyaharak Association, Varanasi).
- The aim of the seminar is to promote the wisdom and practices of Sushruta.
- The Chairperson of the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine (NCISM) Dr. Deopujari Jayant was the chief guest for the inauguration ceremony.
- All-India Institute of Ayurveda is located at New Delhi. It was established in October 2015. Prof. Dr Tanuja Nesari is its director.
Topic: Banking System
3. HDFC Bank has become the first to link the digital rupee with the UPI QR code.
- HDFC Bank has launched a UPI QR code interoperable with India’s central bank digital currency (CBDC).
- Thus, it has become the first commercial bank in India to do so.
- RBI Deputy Governor T Rabi Sankar announced that interoperability will be implemented in July.
- With the interoperable UPI QR code, HDFC Bank merchants who have been onboarded on its CBDC platform can accept payments from their customers in the form of Digital Rupee currency.
- HDFC Bank has signed up 1,70,000 merchants and over 1 lakh customers in pilot programmes using the digital rupee
- The payments in digital rupee are currently being facilitated by HDFC Bank in Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Ahmedabad, Guwahati, and Gangtok, among other cities.
- On November 1, 2022, RBI started a pilot on CBDC in the wholesale segment.
- With the help of UPI QR Code interoperable with Digital Rupee, consumers can transact money available in their CBDC wallet across UPI QR code.
- The consumers will not need to scan different QR codes at the same merchant.
4. India won nine medals at World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships in Brazil.
- These medals include four silver medals and five bronze medals.
- India won these medals in the 3rd edition of the World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships, which was held from July 10 to 12.
- Para de Minas, a municipality town in Brazil, staged the tournament.
Silver medal winners list
Bronze medal winners list
Aaditya in Girl's Singles
Soumyadeep in Men's Singles
Piyush & Shreya in Mixed Doubles
Jerlin in Women's Singles
Soumyadeep & Piyush in Men's Doubles
Shreya in Women's Singles
Jerlin & Aaditya in Women's Doubles
Soumyadeep & Gauranshi in Mixed Doubles
Gauranshi & Shreya in Women's Doubles
- Soumyadeep and Shreya won three medals in the championship.
- Gauranshi, Aaditya, Jerlin and Piyush won two medals each.
- A few of these winners of World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships would participate in the World Deaf Badminton Championships, which is taking place from July 14 to 25.
- The World Deaf Badminton Championships are organized by International Committee of Sports for the Deaf since 2003. It is held every four years.
Topic: Indian Economy
5. Due to the slowdown in the global economy, India's total exports fell by 13% to $60.09 billion.
- India's total exports, including both goods and services, are estimated to be USD 60.09 billion in June 2023, showing a decline of about 13% from June 2022.
- Exports in June 2022 were USD 69.20 billion.
- Total imports are estimated to be US$ 68.98 billion in June 2023, a decline of about 14% from the 2022 figure of US$ 80.12 billion.
- However, the trade balance, i.e., the difference between exports and imports, narrowed to US$ 8.89 billion from US$ 10.92 billion in June.
- In April-June 2023 quarter, India's overall exports (merchandise and services combined) are estimated to exhibit a 7.29% decline over April-June 2022 at USD 182.70 billion.
- Total imports are estimated to decline by 10.18% to USD 205.29 billion in April-June 2023 as compared to April-June 2022.
- In April-June 2023-24, the trade deficit also narrowed to USD 22.59 billion from USD 31.49 billion.
- The commerce ministry said the global economy will slow down substantially to 2.1% in 2023 after growing at 3.1% in 2022.
Topic: Banking System
6. RBI cancelled the license of 2 cooperative banks.
- On July 11, Sri Sharada Mahila Co-operative Bank, Tumkur, Karnataka, and Harihareshwar Sahakari Bank, Wai, Satara license has been cancelled by the RBI as the lenders did not have adequate capital and earning prospects.
- Harihareshwar Sahakari Bank ceased banking business with effect from on July 11, 2023.
- On liquidation, each depositor will be entitled to receive the deposit insurance claim amount of up to Rs 5 lakh from the DICGC.
- The Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC) will pay the full amount to around 99.96% of depositors of Harihareshwar Sahakari Bank.
- DICGC will pay the full amount to around 97.82% of the depositors of Sri Sharada Mahila Co-operative Bank.
- As a result of the cancellation of their licenses, banks are prohibited from carrying on the business of 'banking' which includes accepting deposits and repayment of deposits.
- Till June 12, 2023, DICGC has already paid Rs 15.06 crore of total insured deposits to the depositors of Shri Sharda Mahila Sahakari Bank.
- The Cooperative Commissioner and Registrar of Cooperative Societies, Maharashtra have also been requested to issue an order to wind up the bank and appoint a liquidator for the bank.
- Deposit Insurance & Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC):
- It is a fully owned subsidiary of RBI. It was established in July 1978 under the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation Act, 1961.
- It insures deposits in public and private sector banks, local area banks, small finance banks, regional rural banks, cooperative banks, Indian branches of foreign banks and payments banks.
- Dr. M.D. Patra is the Chairman of DICGC. It is headquartered in Mumbai.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
|April Monthly Current Affairs||March Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Indian Polity
7. Union Cabinet has approved changes to the Jan Vishwas (Amendment of Provisions) Bill, 2023.
- This bill seeks to decriminalise minor offences by amending 183 provisions in 42 Acts.
- It proposes amendment in 183 provisions across 42 Acts administered by 19 ministries.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal introduced the Jan Vishwas (Amendment of Provisions) Bill in the Lok Sabha on December 22, 2023.
- The bill was referred to a joint committee of parliament. Its report was laid before Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha in March 2023.
- The bill also envisages the rationalisation of monetary penalties, based on the gravity of the offence.
- The Acts which are being amended are given in the following table.
Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940
Public Debt Act 1944
Pharmacy Act 1948
Cinematograph Act 1952
Copyright Act 1957
Patents Act 1970
Environment (Protection) Act 1986
Motor Vehicles Act 1988
Trade Marks Act 1999
Railways Act 1989
Information Technology Act 2000
Prevention of Money-laundering Act 2002
Food Safety and Standards Act 2006
Legal Metrology Act 2009
Factoring Regulation Act 2011
Topic: Books and Authors
8. Vinod Mankara’s book was released from the rocket launchpad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre.
- The title of the book is 'Prism: The Ancestral Abode of Rainbow'. It is a collection of science articles.
- It is a compilation of 50 articles from space science, astronomy, biology, anthropology and mathematics.
- It covers topics like the James Webb space telescope, dark sky tourism, black hole confirmation, and the dog Laika's first space journey
- The book was released by ISRO Chairman S Somnath, whio has also penned the foreword for the book.
- He released the book by handing it over to Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) Director S Unnikrishnan Nair.
- Vinod Mankara is a national award-winning filmmaker writer.
- He is also the maker of 'Yanam', a science-Sanskrit documentary on India's Mars Orbiter Mission 'Mangalyaan'.
- 'Chandranu Nere Choonduviral' is also among Mankara's documentaries.
Topic: International News
9. India and France decided to co-develop the jet engine.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron addressed a joint press conference at the Elysee Palace in Paris.
- Both countries announced that they will extend their defence cooperation in advanced aeronautical technologies.
- They will co-develop the combat aircraft engine and also the engine for the Indian multi-role helicopter (IMRH).
- India and France will also cooperate on the motorization of heavy-lift helicopters under the IMRH programme.
- To enable progress on the IMRH programme, HAL and Safran Helicopter Engine will sign a shareholders’ Agreement.
- Both also announced cooperation on small and advanced modular reactors.
- India and France also agreed to support the adoption of a road map for joint actions in the Indo-Pacific and the finalization of the joint Earth observation satellite.
- Recently, HAL and General Electric signed a MoU to manufacture the F-414 engine for the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft MK2.
Topic: Indian Economy
10. Government raised windfall tax on crude oil to Rs 1,600 per tonne.
- The Indian government imposed the windfall tax on domestic crude oil production to Rs 1,600 per tonne.
- The Government has also increased the Special Additional Excise Duty (SAED) on domestic crude oil from Zero to Rs 1,600 per tonne from 15 July.
- The Special Additional Excise Duty (SAED) on petrol, diesel and aviation turbine fuel (ATF) will remain unchanged.
- In May 2023, India had cut the windfall tax on petroleum crude to zero from 4,100 rupees per metric ton.
- India imposed the windfall profit tax for the first time on 1 July 2022 to control inflation and to ensure availability of the transport fuels in the local market.
- A windfall profit tax is imposed by governments on businesses or economic sectors when economic conditions result in large and unexpected profits.
11. Shri Ashwini Vaishnav inaugurated the Curtain Raiser of IMC-2023 on 12 July.
- The 7th edition of India Mobile Congress (IMC), Asia's premier digital technology expo, will be held from October 27 to 29, 2023, at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- IMC will be organized jointly by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
- The theme of IMC 2023 is 'Global Digital Innovation'.
- The IMC 2023 event will see approximately 100,000+ participants, 5,000+ CXO-level delegations, 350+ speakers and 400+ exhibitors.
- Since the inception of IMC in the year 2017, it has strengthened India's position.
- It has also served as a premier platform for global thought leaders to design the next wave of digital innovation led by India.
- The launch of 5G in India during the 2022 IMC by Prime Minister Modi received an overwhelming response from the industry.
- IMC 2023 will also expand to related technology sectors like Broadcast, Satcom, Manufacturing, Semiconductors, etc. through partnerships with Alicina, IESA, ISPA, DFI, and many other associations.
- IMC 2023 also plans to engage major universities and students and create a global buyer forum, apart from several B2G and B2B forums and industry round tables.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
12. Eastern Cross Taxiways, and the fourth runway inaugurated by Scindia at Delhi airport.
- On 14 July, Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia inaugurated dual elevated Eastern Cross Taxiways and the fourth runway at the Delhi airport.
- The Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), is the largest airport in the country, which handles over 1,500 aircraft movements every day.
- The Eastern Cross Taxiways (ECT) is 2.1 kilometers long and will reduce the time spent by passengers on the tarmac after landing and before take-off of flights.
- With the ECT, this airport will be the only airport in India to have an elevated taxiway with roads passing beneath it.
- The ECT will connect the northern and southern airfields on the eastern side of the airport and reduce the taxiing distance for aircraft by seven kilometers.
- It can handle wide-body aircraft, including A-380 and B-777 and B-747.
- IGIA will now have four runways including RW 09/27, RW 11R/29L, RW 10/28, and RW 11L/29R.
- The Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL), which is a consortium led by GMR Airports Infrastructure Ltd, operates IGIA.
Topic: Space and IT
13. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched the Chandrayaan-3 on 14 July.
- Indian rocket LVM3 successfully lifted off the 3,897.89 kg Chandrayaan-3 from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- Chandrayaan-3 will make a second attempt to land a spacecraft on the moon.
- Chandrayaan-3 will cover a distance of 3.84 lakh km. It will reach to the moon after travelling for 42 days.
- The Vikram lander of the mission is expected to soft-land on the surface of the South Pole region of the Moon on around August 23 or August 24.
- The Chandrayaan-3 mission will explore the South Pole region of the moon.
- The Chandrayaan-3 has been built for Rs 615 crore.
- Chandrayaan-3 mission consists of an indigenous lander module (LM), propulsion module (PM), and a rover.
- The rocket will eject the Chandrayaan-3 spacecraft at an altitude of about 179 km.
- The spacecraft would orbit the earth about 5-6 times in an elliptical cycle.
- India is aiming to become the fourth country to land an unmanned spacecraft on the surface of the moon.
Topic: Important Days
14. World Youth Skills Day: 15 July
- World Youth Skills Day is celebrated every year on 15 July.
- The theme for World Youth Skills Day 2023 is Skilling teachers, trainers and youth for a transformative future.
- The theme highlights the essential role that teachers, trainers and other educators play in providing skills to youth.
- In 2014, the United Nations General Assembly declared 15 July as World Youth Skills Day.
- It is observed to highlight the importance of equipping young people with skills for employment, decent work and entrepreneurship.
- Technological advancements and shifting labour market dynamics compel us to adopt new skill sets.