- 1. India is ready to update its 2030 climate goals under Paris Agreement.
- 2. Former International hockey player Saranjeet passed away at age of 59.
- 3. World Health Organisation has released the ‘Global TB report for 2021’.
- 4. Nagaland to host South Asian Federation Cross Country Championships in 2022.
- 5. Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launches AQEWS on the occasion of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav week organised by the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- 6. PM Modi inaugurated Kushinagar International Airport in Uttar Pradesh.
- 7. India, United States, Israel and UAE have decided to form a forum for economic cooperation.
- 8. NABARD subsidiary signs trust deed for Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Farmer Producer Organisations.
- 9. World Osteoporosis Day: 20 October
- 10. India and UK maritime dialogue concluded on 18 October.
- 11. A new species of Onion discovered in Uttarakhand.
- 12. Ecuador declares state of emergency over a rise in violent drug crimes.
- 13. India to host young leaders from 75 democracies under the initiative Gen-Next Democratic Network.
- 14. SEBI forms a four-member high powered advisory committee on settlement orders and compounding of offences.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Environment and Ecology
1. India is ready to update its 2030 climate goals under Paris Agreement.
- India will update its 2030 climate goals under the Paris Agreement.
- India is about to cut down nearly half the amount of greenhouse gases produced for every dollar of economic activity by the end of the decade.
- Nationally determined contributions or NDCs updated by India, where countries made a commitment under the Paris Agreement, could aim to reduce the emissions intensity of the economy by at least 46 to 48 percent from its 2005 levels.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change had set a target of October 12 for countries to submit their updated climate plans, where India has missed the deadline.
- India is now looking to announce its updated NDC in Glasgow, where the Prime Minister will take a part in the Leaders’ Summit of COP26.
- India has made a commitment to increase the share of non-fossil fuel sources to 40 percent of the power generation capacity and reduce the economy's emission intensity by 33 to 35 percent compared to 2005 levels.
Topic: Personality in News
2. Former International hockey player Saranjeet passed away at age of 59.
- Saranjeet was a former International hockey player, who passed away recently at the age of 59. He was unwell for the last three months.
- He was the former hockey player of the State Bank of India and also played for Coronation Club in the local league, representing Hyderabad juniors and seniors in the late 70s and 80s.
- He was also part of the Indian hockey team when the team toured Germany in 1983.
Topic: Report and Indices
3. World Health Organisation has released the ‘Global TB report for 2021’.
- Recently, World Health Organisation (WHO) has released the ‘Global TB report for 2021’.
- The WHO Global TB Report has provided a comprehensive and up-to-date assessment of the TB epidemic.
- WHO is publishing global tuberculosis (TB) report every year since 1997.
- It has been mentioned that the COVID-19 pandemic has reversed years of progress in providing essential TB services and reducing TB disease burden.
- According to the report, a large global drop in the number of people newly diagnosed with TB has been reported. It has mainly affected India, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- 12 other countries accounted for 93% of the total global drop in newly diagnosed cases of TB.
- Reduction in TB diagnosis and treatment has increased the death from TB. Global spending on TB treatment and TB diagnostic has also decreased.
- The Global tuberculosis report 2021 has been produced in a new and more web-centric format.
- Tuberculosis spread through the air and usually attacks the lungs but can also spread to other parts of the body. India has aimed to eliminate TB by 2025.
4. Nagaland to host South Asian Federation Cross Country Championships in 2022.
- South Asian Federation Cross Country Championships will be organized in Nagaland. It will be organized in Kohima on 15 January 2022.
- It has been announced by the associate Vice President of the Athletics Federation of India, Abu Metha.
- It will be the biggest ever international event to be hosted in Nagaland. It will help in promoting athletics in the North eastern states.
- Nepal, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and India will participate in the South Asian championship.
- Nagaland will also host the 56th National Cross Country Championship. It will be clubbed with the South Asian Federation Cross Country Championships.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
5. Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launches AQEWS on the occasion of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav week organised by the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh has launched Air Quality Early Warning System (AQEWS) on the occasion of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav week organised by the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- He said that Air Quality Warning System integrated with the Decision Support System could become user friendly tool for air-quality management in and around Delhi.
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) has developed a new Decision Support System (DSS). IITM, Pune is an autonomous institute of Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- It extended the ability of the existing air quality early warning system (AQEWS) to have decision-making capability for air quality management in Delhi - NCR region.
- Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) in the National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas has stated the need for DSS during the meeting held in January 2021. It requested IITM and IMD for the same.
- IITM, Pune has also developed a new website for DSS. The website is designed to deliver quantitative information about the contribution of emissions from Delhi and the surrounding 19 districts to the air quality in Delhi.
- The website is designed to deliver quantitative information about the contribution of biomass-burning activities in the neighbouring states to the degradation of air quality in Delhi.
Topic: State News/Uttar Pradesh
6. PM Modi inaugurated Kushinagar International Airport in Uttar Pradesh.
- PM Modi inaugurated Kushinagar International Airport in Uttar Pradesh on 20 October.
- On the occasion, inaugural flight from Colombo, Sri Lanka landed at the Kushinagar airport carrying 123 dignitaries, Buddhist Monks & followers.
- After this event Ministry of Tourism will organise a conference “Tourism in Buddhist Circuits – A way forward’ on 20th October 2021 and 21st October.
- International airport at Kushinagar would boost tourism in the region, enhance the infrastructure of the Buddhist circuit at world class level and augment the development of the eastern part of Uttar Pradesh.
- PM will also take part in an event marking Abhidhamma Day at Mahaparinirvana Temple. He will also inaugurate and lay the foundation stone of various development projects in Kushinagar.
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) has developed the Kushinagar airport in association with the government of Uttar Pradesh.
- In Kushinagar, Gautam Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana. The airport will connect Kushinagar with other countries.
- The major tourist attractions in Kushinagar include the ancient Mahaparinirvana Temple, Rambhar Stupa, Kushinagar Museum, Sun Temple, Nirvana Stupa, Matha Kuar Shrine, Watt Thai Temple, Chinese Temple and Japanese Temple.
Topic: International News
7. India, United States, Israel and UAE have decided to form a forum for economic cooperation.
- India has decided to become part of a four-country forum for economic cooperation. United States, Israel, and the UAE will be the other members of this forum.
- The member countries of the forum will cooperate in the fields of transportation, technology, maritime security, and economics and trade.
- On 18 October, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar accompanied his Israeli counterpart Yair Lapid participated in a virtual meeting with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- The leaders exchanged views on mutual interest issues. They also agreed that each minister will appoint senior-level professionals to a joint working group.
- The meeting has been described as a “new Quad” in some quarters and it will focus on expanding economic and political cooperation in the Middle East and Asia.
8. NABARD subsidiary signs trust deed for Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Farmer Producer Organisations.
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) subsidiary NABSanrakshan has signed a trust deed for Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Farmer Producer Organisations (CGFTFPO).
- The credit guarantee fund of Rs 1,000 crore will be created for Farmer Produce Organizations (FPOs).
- The government had launched the "Formation and Promotion of 10,000 Farmer Produce Organizations (FPOs)" scheme to promote 10,000 new FPOs in the country.
- Under this scheme, a dedicated fund has been created to provide credit guarantees to FPOs.
- The CGFTFPO is only the second such trust formed to provide credit guarantees to the agriculture and allied sector.
- It will help in enhancing the worthiness of FPOs, which will help in increasing the income of farmers.
Topic: Important Days
9. World Osteoporosis Day: 20 October
- World Osteoporosis Day is observed every year on 20 October. It is observed to raise awareness about Osteoporosis disease.
- It has been first observed by the United Kingdom’s National Osteoporosis Society on 20 October 1996. This initiative got further support from the European Commission.
- The theme of World Osteoporosis Day 2021 is ‘Serve Up Bone Strength’.
- India’s first national online osteoporosis registry has been developed by PGIMER’s Department of Endocrinology, ahead of World Osteoporosis Day.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
10. India and UK maritime dialogue concluded on 18 October.
- India and the UK hold their inaugural maritime dialogue on 18 October for cooperation in the maritime domain and the Indo-Pacific. The delegation in this meeting was led by Foreign Ministries of both countries.
- In the India-UK Roadmap 2030, India and UK have agreed to hold maritime dialogue to further strengthen the relations.
- Earlier, India and UK had affirmed their shared vision of an open, free, inclusive, and rules-based Indo-Pacific region.
- India-UK Comprehensive Roadmap 2030 will help in enhancing the cooperation in the field of people-to-people relationships, trade and prosperity, defense and security, climate action, and healthcare.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
11. A new species of Onion discovered in Uttarakhand.
- Recently, a plant discovered in Uttarakhand in 2019 has been confirmed as a new species of the Allium genus.
- Allium genus includes staple foods such as onion, scallion, shallot, and garlic. The new species has been described in PhytoKeys journal.
- Allium genus are naturally found in dry seasons in the northern hemisphere and South Africa.
- In 2019, Dr. Anjula Pandey along with scientists Drs K Madhav Rai, Pavan Kumar Malav, and S Rajkumar have discovered this new onion species. It has been named Allium negianum.
- Allium genus grows at 3,000 to 4,800 m above sea level. It is found along open grassy meadows, sandy soils along rivers, and streams forming in snow pasture lands.
- The species scientific name Allium negianum has been given to honour Dr. Kuldeep Singh Negi, an explorer and Allium collector.
Topic: International News
12. Ecuador declares state of emergency over a rise in violent drug crimes.
- Ecuador has declared state of emergency over a rise in violent drug crimes.
- Ecuador's President Guillermo Lasso has announced a 60-day state of emergency on 18 October.
- Ecuador is facing problem of rise in violent crime and deadly prison riots.
- As per the Ecuador government, drug trafficking and consumption are the underlying problems.
- In September, at least 116 inmates were killed and so far in 2021, about 200 inmates have died in violence in prisons of Ecuador.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
13. India to host young leaders from 75 democracies under the initiative Gen-Next Democratic Network.
- India will host young leaders from 75 democracies under the initiative Gen-Next Democratic Network.
- This announcement was recently made by Chairman of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Dr Vinay Sahasrabuddhe.
- He said that young leaders below the age of 35 from the ruling party, opposition party and other key parties are being invited.
- He also said that first batch will include leaders from Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Japan, Indonesia, Chile and Zambia.
- He further said that Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla will inaugurate the event on 25th November.
- He said that objective behind the event is to give the young leaders a comprehensive idea about India's rich democratic culture.
14. SEBI forms a four-member high powered advisory committee on settlement orders and compounding of offences.
- SEBI has formed a four-member high powered advisory committee on settlement orders and compounding of offences.
- Vijay C Daga, retired judge of High Court of Bombay, will chair the committee.
- Former law secretary in Ministry of Law & Justice, PK Malhotra, ex-Chairman of Deloitte Haskins & Sells LLP PR Ramesh and DN Raval, Partner at Raval & Raval Associates are other members of committee.
- The committee will work as per the Settlement Proceedings Regulations, 2018. The settlement mechanism is a tool for speedy and efficient resolution of disputes.
- Under the settlement mechanism, an alleged wrongdoer can settle a pending case with the regulator by paying a settlement fee.
- Currently, entities are given 180 days to apply for settlement after receipt of the show-cause notice. The time limit for filing settlement applications should be reduced from 180 to 60 days.