- 1. Bimal Jalan penned a book titled ‘The India Story’.
- 2. Government to set up Indian Heritage Institute in Noida.
- 3. Viswanathan Anand wins Sparkassen Trophy by defeating Vladimir Kramnik.
- 4. DRDO indigenously develops a High Strength Metastable Beta Titanium Alloy.
- 5. IIT Ropar develops India’s first of its kind oxygen rationing device.
- 6. Prasar Bharati and IIT-Kanpur signed MoU for Next Generation Broadcasting Technology.
- 7. Bangladesh bans free internet services for Social media.
- 8. IOC to build India's first green hydrogen plant at its Mathura refinery.
- 9. Government of Meghalaya approved Meghalaya Youth Policy 2021.
- 10. The name of ‘Common High Court of UT of Jammu and Kashmir and UT of Ladakh’ changed to ‘High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh’.
- 11. ADB decreases India’s economic growth projection for current financial year to 10%.
- 12. Maharashtra to be India’s first state to issue educational documents using blockchain technology.
- 13. Audio accessories brand, Ptron makes actress Pooja Hegde as its brand ambassador.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Books and Authors
1. Bimal Jalan penned a book titled ‘The India Story’.
- Former RBI governor Bimal Jalan has authored a book titled ‘The India Story’.
- The book is about India’s economic history and provides lessons for the future of India’s political economy.
- The book is published by Rupa Publications India and is released on 21 July 2021.
- Bimal Jalan held several administrative and advisory positions in the Government of India throughout his career. He worked as finance secretary and chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister.
- He was the Governor of RBI from 22 November 1997 to 21 November 2004.
- ‘India Then and Now’ (2020), ‘India Ahead’ (2018) and ‘Politics Trumps Economics’ (2012) are some important notable books of Bimal Jalan.
Topic: National News
2. Government to set up Indian Heritage Institute in Noida.
- The government has decided to set up the Indian Institute of Heritage at Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- It will promote higher education and research on Indian heritage. The institution will offer Masters and Ph.D. courses in areas of History of Arts, Conservation, Museology, Archival Studies, Archaeology, etc.
- It will be the first of its kind institution in the Country and focus on conservation and research in India’s rich tangible heritage.
- The Institution will also have conservation training facilities for its employees.
- Institute of Archaeology, IGNCA, National Archives of India and NRLC-Lucknow, will be brought under the umbrella of the Indian Institute of Heritage.
3. Viswanathan Anand wins Sparkassen Trophy by defeating Vladimir Kramnik.
- Viswanathan Anand has won the Sparkassen Trophy by defeating Vladimir Kramnik.
- Anand needed only a draw in the final game of the No-Castling Chess event, and he got it in 40 moves.
- Castling was not allowed in this No-Castling variant of chess.
- Castling is a special move to protect the king and activate the rook.
- Vladimir Kramnik is a Russian chess grandmaster. He is also a former world champion.
Topic: New Developments
4. DRDO indigenously develops a High Strength Metastable Beta Titanium Alloy.
- DRDO has indigenously developed a High Strength Metastable Beta Titanium Alloy on industrial scale for applications in aerospace structural forgings.
- The alloy, Ti-10V-2Fe-3Al, contains Vanadium, Iron and Aluminium. Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL), a Hyderabad-based laboratory of DRDO, has developed it.
- Many developed nations are using these alloys as beneficial substitute for the relatively heavier traditional Ni-Cr-Mo structural steels to achieve weight savings.
- Ti-10V-2Fe-3Al alloy has a high strength-to-weight ratio and excellent forgeability.
- Forgeability is defined as the ability of a material to go through deformation without rupture.
- The excellent forgeability facilitates the manufacture of intricately configured components for aerospace applications with the potential for significant weight savings.
- The alloys are unique as they have higher strength, ductility, fatigue, and fracture toughness. They have relatively lower lifetime cost and superior corrosion resistance in comparison to steel.
- Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) has identified over 15 steel components that may be replaced by Ti-10V-2Fe-3Al alloy forgings in the near future.
- Aeronautical Development Agency is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Defence. It is located in Bengaluru.
Topic: Science and Technology
5. IIT Ropar develops India’s first of its kind oxygen rationing device.
- Scientists of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar have developed India’s first of its kind oxygen rationing device "AMLEX”.
- It will help in increasing the life of an oxygen cylinder by three times.
- It has been developed by a team headed by assistant professor Dr. Ashish Sahani. “AMLEX” will reduce the shortage of oxygen in hospitals.
- It uses a sensor that senses and successfully detects inhalation and exhalation of the user in any environmental condition. It can be operated on the battery as well as line supply.
- "AMLEX” supplies oxygen to the patient during inhalation and trips when the patient exhales CO2. It reduces the wastage of oxygen in the environment.
6. Prasar Bharati and IIT-Kanpur signed MoU for Next Generation Broadcasting Technology.
- A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between IIT Kanpur and Prasar Bharati for setting up a Center of Excellence for Media and Broadcasting Technologies at IIT-Kanpur.
- Prasar Bharati and IIT Kanpur have collaborated to align the emerging Broadcasting technologies with the global standards for 5G.
- Direct to Mobile Broadcasting and Convergence with emerging 5G standards, Artificial Intelligence and advanced algorithms for audio-visual media will be the key areas for collaboration.
- IIT Kanpur will research in the following areas with the help of Prasar Bharati:
- Next Generation Broadcast Technology Trial
- Automatic Speech Recognition for Speech Subtitling
- Archival Content Retrieval through Audio and Text Query
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
7. Bangladesh bans free internet services for Social media.
- The Regulatory body of Bangladesh, the Bangladesh Telecom Regulatory Commission (BTRC), has directed telecom companies to stop giving free internet services to their subscribers for accessing social media.
- The step has been taken to maintain normal market competition. Free internet services for accessing social media have promoted unhealthy competition between the telecom companies.
- Grameenphone, Robi Axiata, Banglalink, and Teletalk Bangladesh provide totally or partially free internet services for accessing social media.
- The orders will come into effect from 23 July 2021. Bangladesh has more than 102 million internet users.
- It is located in the east of India on the Bay of Bengal.
- Its capital is Dhaka, and the currency is Bangladeshi Taka.
- Its Prime Minister is Sheikh Hasina.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
8. IOC to build India's first green hydrogen plant at its Mathura refinery.
- India's largest oil firm IOC is planning to set up India's first green hydrogen plant at its Mathura refinery.
- Hydrogen is a source of clean fuel and it is the next hope to meet the world's energy demand. Its manufacturing is energy-intensive and produces carbon byproducts.
- Brown hydrogen is created through coal gasification while Blue hydrogen is derived from fossil fuels with carbon capture, utilization, and storage.
- Green hydrogen is manufactured by using renewable energy. It will replace fossil fuel used in the Mathura refinery to process crude oil.
- IOC is planning to set up several hydrogen production units on a pilot basis.
- India’s fuel demand will reach up to 400-450 million tonnes by 2040. Oil companies are now focusing on other sources of energy to meet the future energy demand.
Topic: State News/ Meghalaya
9. Government of Meghalaya approved Meghalaya Youth Policy 2021.
- Meghalaya Cabinet has approved the Meghalaya Youth Policy 2021 to channelize the youth population of the state.
- It contains programmes and plans for using the potential, Skills, and creativity of Youths. It will resolve major issues and concerns of youth.
- Meghalaya Youth Policy 2021 will be a comprehensive development framework for youth. It will help in achieving the government’s vision of making Meghalaya one of the top 10 states in 10 years in GSDP per capita and SDG ranking.
- It will focus on nine identified key areas including Education, Health, Counselling & Mentoring, Employment Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, etc.
- Around 45 programme will be implemented under this Youth Policy and it will provide equal opportunities to all young men and women for their socio-economic development.
- Meghalaya Youth Policy 2021 will be supported by many programs like Early Childhood Education Mission, Meghalaya School Improvement Plan (MSIP), Health upgradation programs.
- Around 74% of the Meghalaya population are under the age of 35 years. The primary focus of this policy will be on the youth belongs to the age group of 15- 29 years.
Topic: Indian Polity
10. The name of ‘Common High Court of UT of Jammu and Kashmir and UT of Ladakh’ changed to ‘High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh’.
- The name of ‘Common High Court of UT of Jammu and Kashmir and UT of Ladakh’ has been changed to ‘High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh’.
- Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation (Removal of Difficulties) Order, 2021 has been signed by President Ram Nath Kovind to effect change. Department of Justice in the Law Ministry has notified the order.
- Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019 declared that the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir will be the “Common High Court for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and Union Territory of Ladakh”.
- Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019 provided for the reorganisation of the state of Jammu and Kashmir into the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the Union Territory of Ladakh.
- The changes in the name of the High Court have been made after agreement from Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Ladakh and the Chief Justice of the High Court.
- In January 2021, Pankaj Mithal was appointed as new Chief Justice of Common High Court of UT of Jammu and Kashmir and UT of Ladakh.
Topic: Reports and Indices
11. ADB decreases India’s economic growth projection for current financial year to 10%.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has decreased India’s economic growth projection for current financial year to 10%.
- In April, ADB had projected India’s economic growth at 11%. In its Asian Development Outlook (ADO) Supplement, ADB said that India’s GDP growth recovered to 1.6% in the last quarter of the fiscal year that ended in March 2021.
- ADB said that decrease in growth projection for FY2021 from 11% to 10%, reflects large base effects. ADB has upgraded the projection for FY2022 from 7% to 7.5%.
- In ADO Supplement, ADB has downgraded the GDP growth forecast for the South Asia sub region in 2021 from 9.5% to 8.9%.
- But, the GDP growth forecast for South Asia sub region for 2022 has been upgraded from 6.6% to 7%.
- Asian Development Outlook is released annually by Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- It is a regional development bank established in 1966.
- Members: 68 countries
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- Current President: Masatsugu Asakawa
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
12. Maharashtra to be India’s first state to issue educational documents using blockchain technology.
- Maharashtra will be India’s first state to issue educational documents using blockchain technology.
- Maharashtra State Board of Skill Development has decided to issue blockchain based certificates to students.
- As per Maharashtra’s Skill Development Minister Nawab Malik, one million diploma certificates will be issued using this technology.
- Mr. Malik said that Singapore, Malta and Bahrain are the only countries to use this technology.
- Maharashtra will also be the world’s largest user of Blockchain for educational certificates.
- As per Technology provider Legit Doc’s CEO Neil, each student will receive a “certficate_LegitDoc.zip” digital file.
- “certficate_LegitDoc.zip” digital file will contain the original PDF diploma certificate and its corresponding blockchain proof file.
- The file can be verified within 10 seconds from anywhere around the world and does not require human intervention.
- In terms of area, Maharashtra is India’s third largest state. In terms of population, it is second most populous state.
- Its boundary is covered by 6 states. Karnataka and Goa are located to the south. Telangana is located to its southeast.
- Chhattisgarh is located to its east. Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh are located to its north.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackery, Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
13. Audio accessories brand, Ptron makes actress Pooja Hegde as its brand ambassador.
- Audio accessories brand, Ptron has made actress Pooja Hegde as its brand ambassador.
- Ptron has signed a one year endorsement deal with Pooja Hegde.
- Vogue eyewear has chosen Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador. It has also released a campaign with Pannu.
- GreatWhite has recently selected Tiger Shroff as its brand ambassador.