Daily Current Affairs and GK | 21 September 2021
- 1. World Bank decided to discontinue ‘Doing Business’ reports after irregularities found in data.
- 2. Punjab's Harmilan Kaur Bains break 19-year-old record at National Open Athletics Championships.
- 3. India ranked at 46th place in Global Innovation Index 2021.
- 4. International Day of Peace: 21 September.
- 5. RBI to conduct open market purchase of government securities worth Rs15,000cr under GSAP 2.0.
- 6. President conferred National Florence Nightingale award 2020 to Brigadier SV Saraswati.
- 7. Indian Navy and Indonesian Navy participated in exercise ‘SAMUDRA SHAKTI’.
- 8. Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) signed an MoU with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited.
- 9. Pankaj Tripathi appointed as brand ambassador of Fino Payments Bank Limited.
- 10. Sikkim government has declared 'Copper Mahseer' as the State fish.
- 11. India is likely to become world’s third-largest importer by 2050.
- 12. Primetime Emmy Awards 2021 ceremony conducted on the evening of Sunday, September 19 in Los Angeles.
- 13. The book titled as ‘Shining Sikh Youth of India’ released by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: Reports and Indices
1. World Bank decided to discontinue ‘Doing Business’ reports after irregularities found in data.
- World Bank Group has decided to discontinue ‘Doing Business’ reports after data irregularities were found in the data of 2018 and 2020.
- The decision was taken after data irregularities were done in the favour of China in the report of 2018 and 2020.
- The irregularities had affected four countries: China, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Azerbaijan.
- India was on the 63rd position on the World Bank's Ease of Doing Business Ranking 2020. India has improved its rank by 79 positions in five years (2014-19).
It is an international financial institution established in 1944.
189 countries are members of the World Bank.
Its headquarters is located in Washington, D.C.
President: David Malpass
Global Economic Prospects and World Development Report are published by the World Bank.
2. Punjab's Harmilan Kaur Bains break 19-year-old record at National Open Athletics Championships.
- Harmilan Kaur Bains broke the 19-year-old record by winning the 1500m title at the National Open Athletics Championships. She completed 1500m race in 2:03.82s.
- She has won gold in 800m and 1500 events at the 60th National Open Athletics Championships in Warangal.
- T Santhosh Kumar of Tamil Nadu won the men’s 400m hurdles with the timing of 50.79s and Mohammed Afsal won the men’s 800m title.
- Sharmila Kumari won gold in the women’s Javelin throw event.
- The Indian National Open Athletics Championships is organised by the Athletics Federation of India every year. It was first organized in 1961.
Topic: Reports and Indices
3. India ranked at 46th place in Global Innovation Index 2021.
- India has been ranked at 46th place in Global Innovation Index 2021 and India’s ranking in Global Innovation Index has climbed by two places from 48 to 46 in 2021.
- India’s position in Global Innovation Index has been rising over the past several years. India moved from 81st rank in 2015 to 46th rank in 2021.
- Switzerland, Sweden, the United States, and the United Kingdom have maintained their top four positions in the index. China is ranked at 12th place.
- According to the GII 2021 report, India continues to lead the world in the ICT services exports indicator and holds top ranks in other indicators, such as domestic industry diversification (12th) and graduates in science and engineering (12th).
- India’s innovation performance is above average for the upper middle-income group in five of the seven innovation pillars.
- India’s innovation performance is below average in the pillars of infrastructure and creative outputs.
- India’s performance in the area of science and technology (S&T) is also encouraging.
- Global Innovation Index 2021:
- It is 14th edition of GII. The theme of GII 2021 is Tracking Innovation through the Covid-19 Crisis.
- GII 2021 provides latest global innovation ranking of 132 economies on the basis of 81 different indicators.
Global Innovation Index:
It is annually published and compiled by Cornell University, INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization.
Overall GII score is the average of the Innovation Input Sub-Index and Innovation Output Sub-Index. While Innovation Input Sub-Index comprises of five pillars, Innovation Output Sub-Index comprises of two pillars.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
4. International Day of Peace: 21 September.
- International Day of Peace is annually observed all over the world on 21 September.
- Recovering better for an equitable and sustainable world is the theme for International Day of Peace 2021.
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) established International Day of Peace in 1981.
- In 2001, UNGA designated the Day as a period of non-violence and cease-fire.
- SDG 16: Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
5. RBI to conduct open market purchase of government securities worth Rs15,000cr under GSAP 2.0.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to conduct the open market purchase of government securities worth Rs15,000cr under the G-sec Acquisition Programme (G-SAP 2.0) on 23rd September.
- On the same day, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will also sell Government Securities worth Rs15,000cr under Open Market Operations (OMO).
- Earlier, RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das had announced to conduct an open market purchase of government securities to support the market.
Open Market Operation (OMO):
Open Market Operations is an instrument through which RBI sells or purchases government securities.
To increase the money supply, the central bank buys government securities.
To decrease the money supply, the central bank sells government securities.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
6. President conferred National Florence Nightingale award 2020 to Brigadier SV Saraswati.
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the National Florence Nightingale Award 2020 to Brigadier SV Saraswati.
- She is the Deputy-Director General of Military Nursing Service. She has received the award for his immense contribution as a nurse administrator.
- She is a renowned operation theatre nurse. She helped in 3,000 lifesaving and emergency surgeries.
- This award is given to outstanding nursing personnel working in any Central, State/UTs, Private, Missionary, and Voluntary Organizations.
National Florence Nightingale Award:
National Florence Nightingale Award is the highest national award in the field of nursing.
It is given in remembrance of Florence J Nightingale.
The winner received a cash prize of Rs 50,000, a certificate and a medal.
7. Indian Navy and Indonesian Navy participated in exercise ‘SAMUDRA SHAKTI’.
- Indian Navy and Indonesian Navy have conducted exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ on 18 September.
- Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft P8I, Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt participated in this exercise on the behalf of India.
- KRI Bung Tomo, KRI Malahayati, and Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft CN-235 represented Indonesia Navy in this exercise.
- Military Interdiction Operations (MIO), Cross Deck Landings, Air Defence serials, Practice Weapon Firings are part of this naval exercise.
- The exercise was organized to strengthen the bilateral relationship, enhance mutual understanding and interoperability in maritime operations between the two navies.
- It has provided a platform to share best practices and develop a common understanding of Maritime Security Operations.
(Source: News on AIR)
8. Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) signed an MoU with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited.
- Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) signed an MoU with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited to increase the business opportunities and income of Fair Price Shops.
- The MoU has been signed by Jyotsna Gupta and Sarthik Sachdeva.
- CSC Service Centre has been advised to identify feasible activities like Utility Bill payments, PAN application, Passport application, Election Commission Services etc. for providing additional income to the FPS.
- CSCs will tie up with individual State Governments to provide access to Digital Services Portal (DSP) to FPS dealers willing to distribute CSC services.
- States can also improve the service related to ration cards, application for new cards, Aadhaar seeding requests through the Common service center.
9. Pankaj Tripathi appointed as brand ambassador of Fino Payments Bank Limited.
- Pankaj Tripathi has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Fino Payments Bank Limited.
- He will be the face of Fino Payments Bank’s marketing campaigns for two years.
- Pankaj Tripathi will be the face of Fino’s first ‘Fikar Not’ campaign.
Other recent brand ambassadors:
Ram Charan has been named as the new Brand Ambassador of Disney Hotstar.
Rahul Dravid becomes the brand ambassador of Piramal Realty.
Haryana government has appointed Manika Sheokand as the Goodwill ‘Ambassador’ of the water conservation campaign.
Topic: State News/ Sikkim
10. Sikkim government has declared 'Copper Mahseer' as the State fish.
- The Sikkim government has declared 'Copper Mahseer' also known as 'Katley' as the State fish.
- Katley is found at varied altitudes in Sikkim. It is predominantly found in Teesta and Rangit rivers and their tributaries.
- The fish has high market value and is usually preferred by the public in the State.
- Katley is an endangered species on the IUCN red list. Neolissochilus hexagonolepis is the scientific name of the Copper Mahseer.
- The government will also issue license to the individual fishermen for fishing in the reservoirs according to the provisions under the Sikkim Fisheries Rules, 1990.
It is a state in northeast India. It shares its border with West Bengal, Bhutan, Tibet, and Nepal.
It is the least populous state of India.
Its capital is Gangtok.
Red Panda is the state animal of Sikkim and State Bird is the Blood Pheasant.
The Chief Minister of the state is Prem Singh Tamang and the Governor is Ganga Prasad.
Topic: Reports and Indices
11. India is likely to become world’s third-largest importer by 2050.
- According to a report released by the UK’s Department of International Trade, India is likely to become the world’s third-largest importer by 2050.
- India will be the third-largest importer after China and the United States. It is expected to account for 5.9% of global imports by 2050.
- India is currently the world’s eighth-largest importer with a 2.8% share. According to the Global Trade Outlook report, India will be fourth-largest importer by 2030 with a 3.9% share.
- The share of US and European Union in global imports will decline. Asia’s share in global imports will rise.
- As per the report, 56% of global growth will come from Indo-Pacific between 2019 and 2050.
- China is expected to become the world’s largest economy by 2030. It has already displaced the US in terms of Purchasing Power Parity (PPP).
- India is also likely to become the world’s third-largest economy by 2050 with a 6.8% share of global GDP.
- India is currently the world’s fifth-largest economy with a 3.3% share.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
12. Primetime Emmy Awards 2021 ceremony conducted on the evening of Sunday, September 19 in Los Angeles.
- Primetime Emmy Awards 2021 ceremony was conducted on the evening of Sunday, September 19 in Los Angeles.
- Actor and comedian Cedric Antonio Kyles (stage name Cedric the Entertainer) was the host of the ceremony.
- Apple TV+ comedy series Ted Lasso received the most (13) nominations. It won 4 trophies (three acting awards and 1 award for Outstanding Comedy Series).
- The Crown was second in terms of the number of nominations (11). However, it won the most (7) trophies, including Outstanding Drama Series, and awards for directing, writing, and 4 acting awards for Tobiaz Menzies, Olivia Colman, Josh O’Connor and Gillian Anderson.
- Gillian Anderson won the award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for The Crown.
- Jason Sudeikis won the award for best actor in a comedy series for Ted Lasso. Jean Smart won a trophy in best lead actress category for HBO Max series Hacks.
- Kate Winslet won the award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie for Mare of Easttown.
- Ewan McGregor won the award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie for Halston.
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver has won Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series.
- Ted Lasso star Brett Goldstein won Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.
- Debbie Allen received the Governor's Award for a long and acclaimed career as an actor, dancer, choreographer and activist.
- The Primetime Emmy Awards 2021 is the 73rd edition of premier television awards. These awards are equivalent to Academy Awards (Oscars) for films, Tony Awards for theatre and Grammy Awards for music.
Topic: Books and Authors
13. The book titled as ‘Shining Sikh Youth of India’ released by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The book titled as ‘Shining Sikh Youth of India’ has been released by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The book is authored by Dr. Prabhleen Singh. The book is part of the 400th birth anniversary commemoration of Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Guru of Sikhs.
- The book contains 100 inspirational and motivational success stories of Sikh youth in India.
- Dr. Prabhleen Singh has earlier written two books, namely ‘Prominent Sikhs of India’ and ‘Prominent Sikhs of USA’.