- 1. Union Minister Piyush Goyal attended the Ministerial meeting of the India-Saudi Arabia Strategic Partnership Council.
- 2. Andaman Nicobar Islands has become India's first state/UT to achieve 100% coverage of precautionary dose.
- 3. Indian Naval Ship Ajay (P34) decommissioned on 19 September 2022.
- 4. President Droupadi Murmu has approved the appointments of Directors to eight IITs.
- 5. RBI has decided to remove Central Bank of India from Prompt Corrective Action Framework (PCAF).
- 6. Gujarati film ‘Chhello Show’ has been declared as India's official entry for Oscars 2023.
- 7. Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) has developed LoRa (Long Range Radio) technology.
- 8. India’s Presidency of the Asia-pacific Institute of Broadcasting Development (AIBD) has been extended for one more year.
- 9. World Alzheimer's Day: 21 September
- 10. Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the SCALE app for skill development in the leather sector.
- 11. Indian and U.S. Coast Guards conducted a joint exercise ‘Abhyas-01/22’ on 19 September off the coast of Chennai.
- 12. Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) amended the regulation to maximize value in resolution.
- 13. India and Egypt signed an MoU to strengthen defence ties.
- 14. Bangladesh won the SAFF Women’s Championship by defeating Nepal by 3-1.
- 15. Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched multiple projects for the development of the Bogibeel region in Assam.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
1. Union Minister Piyush Goyal attended the Ministerial meeting of the India-Saudi Arabia Strategic Partnership Council.
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal was on a two-day visit to Saudi Arabia from 18th to 19th September 2022.
- Abdulaziz bin Salman Al-Saud co-chaired the Ministerial meeting of the Committee on Economy and Investments of the India-Saudi Arabia Strategic Partnership Council.
- During the meeting, both sides agreed upon the 41 areas of cooperation under four domains- Agriculture & Food Security; Energy; Technology & IT; and Industry & Infrastructure.
- Both sides signed an agreement for the implementation of the priority projects within a timeframe.
- Automatic registration and marketing authorization of Indian pharma products in Saudi Arabia, the feasibility of institutionalizing the Rupee-Riyal trade, and the introduction of UPI and Rupay cards in Saudi Arabia were the main points of the discussion.
- Both sides discussed ways to diversify bilateral trade to boost economic ties.
- Piyush Goyal also inaugurated "The India Week" in Riyadh as part of the initiatives to celebrate Indian products.
- The Strategic Partnership Council was formed in 2019. It has mainly two pillars: Political, Security, Social and Cultural Committee and the Committee on Economy and Investments.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/Andaman Nicobar Islands
2. Andaman Nicobar Islands has become India's first state/UT to achieve 100% coverage of precautionary dose.
- Over 2,87,216 beneficiaries aged 18 have been vaccinated with a precautionary dose till now.
- The rate of vaccination has increased after July 15 when the government decided to offer free precautionary doses as part of the "Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav".
- The target has been achieved before the deadline of the 30th of September.
- First, Nicobar district has been fully covered with a precautionary dose.
- Later, the North and Middle Andaman and South Andaman districts were fully covered.
- Corbevax along with Covishield have been given as a precautionary dose in the islands.
- Apart from this, the youths under 15-18 yrs. and 12-14 yrs age category have been also fully vaccinated.
- A&N Islands have achieved the target in all the above three categories.
3. Indian Naval Ship Ajay (P34) decommissioned on 19 September 2022.
- INS Ajay’s decommissioning ceremony was held at Mumbai’s Naval Dockyard.
- Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Naval Command was the chief guest at decommissioning ceremony.
- The guest of honour was Vice Admiral AG Thapliyal, AVSM Bar (Retd), who served as the ship’s first commanding officer.
- During the service, the ship was posted on various critical deployments including Operation Talwar during the Kargil War in 1999 and Operation Parakram in 2001.
- INS Ajay:
- It was an Abhay class anti-submarine warfare corvette of Western Naval Command.
- It was commissioned on January 24, 1990, in the then USSR’s Poti port, Georgia.
- During its service period, it was part of the 23rd Patrol Vessel Squadron under the Flag Officer Commanding, Maharashtra Naval Area.
Topic: National Appointments
4. President Droupadi Murmu has approved the appointments of Directors to eight IITs.
- IIT, Madras Professor Seshadri Sekhar has been appointed as Director of IIT, Palakkad.
- IIT, Madras Professor Shreepad Karmalkar has been appointed as Director of IIT, Bhubaneshwar.
- IIT, Kharagpur's Venkayappaya R. Desai will be the new Director of IIT, Dharwad.
- IIT, Dharwad Director Pasumarthy Seshu has been appointed as Director of IIT, Goa.
- IIT, Bhilai Director Rajat Moona has been given the responsibility of the Director of IIT, Gandhinagar. Other appointments are given in next table.
Name of the Person
Appointed as Director of
K. N. Satyanarayana
Manoj Singh Gaur
Topic: Banking System
5. RBI has decided to remove Central Bank of India from Prompt Corrective Action Framework (PCAF).
- The decision was taken after the Central Bank of India showed improvement in various financial ratios, including minimum regulatory capital and net non-performing assets (NNPAs).
- The Central Bank of India's net profit increased by 14.2% to Rs 234.78 crore in the first quarter of the current fiscal year, compared to Rs 205.58 crore in the same period of the previous fiscal year.
- Once these restrictions are lifted, the bank can disburse the loan without any restrictions.
- In June 2017, RBI had decided to keep the Central Bank of India under the ambit of PCA. This ban has been lifted after about 5 years.
- The bank was placed on the PCA watch list due to the high level of net NPAs on the bank and low return on assets.
- Apart from the Central Bank, the RBI had also placed the Indian Overseas Bank and UCO Bank on the watch list for violation of PCA norms.
- Indian Overseas Bank and UCO Bank were removed from the PCA in September 2021.
- Prompt Corrective Action Framework (PCAF):
- PCA norm is applied in case the bank does not comply with the regulatory provisions relating to capital to risk-weighted assets ratio (CRAR), net NPA, and return on assets (RoA).
- Once placed in the PCA purview, that bank is barred from giving open loans in many ways and has to work within a variety of restrictions.
6. Gujarati film ‘Chhello Show’ has been declared as India's official entry for Oscars 2023.
- The Film Federation of India announced the ‘Chhello Show’ as India’s entry for the 95th Academy Awards.
- Chhello Show has been selected in the Best International Feature Film category.
- The Director of the film is Pan Nalin.
- The film is scheduled to release in Indian cinemas on October 14.
- The title of ‘Chello Show’ is Last Film Show in English.
- Chello Show is a story of a 9-year-old teenage boy. He lives in a remote village in India and has a deep connection with the cinema.
- The film depicts how a little boy spends an entire summer watching movies from a projection booth.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Banking System
7. Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) has developed LoRa (Long Range Radio) technology.
- Due to this technology, it will be possible for people in remote areas without satellite signals to access banking services.
- As per D. Janakiram, Director of IDRBT, a new dedicated low-cost financial network has been created.
- This can be used privately by banks to send encrypted texts to conduct financial transactions.
- IDRBT is the first in the world to develop this network based on LoRa (Long Range Radio) technology.
- LoRa is a wireless modulation technique. It allows long-range communication using the chirp spread spectrum.
- This can be used by banks as their own private network instead of a third-party network based either on satellite link or wired.
- The cost of the LoRa financial network is estimated to be 20% cheaper.
- The institute had successfully carried out a pilot for the technology. It is in the process of filing a patent for LoRa based financial network.
- IDRBT is located in Hyderabad, Telangana. It was established in 1996. Its current director is D. Janakiram.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: National News
8. India’s Presidency of the Asia-pacific Institute of Broadcasting Development (AIBD) has been extended for one more year.
- AIBD member countries unanimously decided this at the two-day General Conference held in New Delhi.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur inaugurated the conference on 19 September 2022.
- Presently, the President of AIBD is Mayank Kumar Agrawal. He is the Chief Executive Officer of Prasar Bharati and Director General of Doordarshan.
- Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD):
- It was established in 1977. It currently has 26 countries as full members represented by 43 organizations. It has 52 affiliate members.
- It is a regional inter-governmental organization of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP) in the field of electronic media development.
Topic: Important Days
9. World Alzheimer's Day: 21 September
- World Alzheimer's Day is observed on 21 September.
- The theme for this year’s world Alzheimer's month is - know dementia, know Alzheimer's.
- World Alzheimer's month is held every year in September.
- Alzheimer's disease is the most common form of dementia.
- It is a progressive brain disease. It results in loss of memory and thinking skills.
- It destroys the brain cells. This causes erratic behaviour, memory loss, memory changes, and loss of body functions.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
10. Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the SCALE app for skill development in the leather sector.
- Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the SCALE (Skill Certification Assessment for Leather Employees) app at Central Leather Research Institute, Chennai.
- It is a one-stop solution for the skilling, learning, assessment, and employment needs of the leather industry.
- The SCALE app has been developed by the Leather Skill Sector Council.
- People interested in leather craft can access online live-streamed classes through the app.
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, NSDC, CLRI and Leather Sector Skill Council will collaborate to set up Common Facilities and Skilling Centre across India.
- Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan lauded the role of CSIR-CLRI for playing an important role in the development of the leather sector.
- The Indian leather industry contributes around 13 per cent to the world's leather production of hides/skins.
- The major production centres for leather and leather products in India are located in the state of Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh.
(Source: News on AIR)
11. Indian and U.S. Coast Guards conducted a joint exercise ‘Abhyas-01/22’ on 19 September off the coast of Chennai.
- ‘Abhyas-01/22’ will enhance interoperability in the field of maritime search and rescue (SAR), boarding operations, and other maritime law enforcement duties.
- The Joint anti-piracy operation, various fleet manoeuvres, a coordinated joint boarding operation were the main part of the exercise.
- The exercise will strengthen the defence ties between India and the United States.
- Joint exercise 'Abhyas-01/22' marked the culmination of the four-day goodwill visit of the US Coast Guard ship Midgett to Chennai.
- ‘Midgett’ is the largest and most technologically advanced class of vessels. It is equipped with a UAS Scan Eagle drone, MH-65 helicopter, and other equipment.
India and United State Defense exercise:
India- United States
Topic: Banking System
12. Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) amended the regulation to maximize value in resolution.
- To provide better market-linked solutions for stressed companies, IBBI has amended its regulations.
- The amended regulation will allow the sale of one or more assets of an entity through the insolvency resolution process.
- The Committee of Creditors (CoC) can now examine whether a compromise or an arrangement can be done for the corporate debtor during the liquidation period.
- The amendment in regulation will ensure that information about the insolvent company and its assets is available to the market.
- The amendment will give a boost to better market-led solutions for insolvency resolution.
- The new regulation will become effective on September 16. As of June 2022, 1,703 Corporate Insolvency Resolution Processes (CIRPs) have been completed.
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI):
- It was established on 1 October 2016 under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- It is responsible for the implementation of the IBC code.
Topic: International News
13. India and Egypt signed an MoU to strengthen defence ties.
- India and Egypt agreed to enhance cooperation between their defence industries.
- The MoU has been signed by Defence Minister Rajanth Singh and his counterpart, General Mohamed Zaki.
- Defence Minister Rajanth Singh was on a two-day visit to Cario, Egypt.
- India and Egypt also agreed to enhance the conduct of joint exercises and exchange of personnel for training.
- Both sides also exchanged views on regional security and acknowledged the contribution of both countries to peace and stability.
- Rajnath Singh invited his Egyptian counterpart to the India-Africa Defense Dialogue and Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Defense Ministers’ conclave.
- India and Egypt relations:
- Egypt is traditionally one of India's most important trading partners of India in the African continent.
- India and Egypt friendship started with the signing of the Friendship Treaty in 1955.
- India-Egypt’s Bilateral Trade Agreement has been in operation since March 1978.
- India and Egypt bilateral trade reached a historic record high of USD 7.26 bn in FY 2021-22.
(Source: News on AIR)
14. Bangladesh won the SAFF Women’s Championship by defeating Nepal by 3-1.
- Bangladesh won its maiden SAFF Women’s Championship title at the Dashrath Rangshala Stadium in Kathmandu.
- Krishna Rani Sarkar and Sirat Jahan Swapna scored goals from the Bangladesh side, while Anita Basnet scored a goal from the Nepal Side.
- Bangladesh captain Sabina Khatun remained the top scorer of the tournament with 8 goals in 5 matches.
- Sabina Khatun also won the Most Valuable Player award.
- Bangladesh’s goalkeeper Rupna Chakma got the best goalkeeper award.
- The SAFF Women's Championship 2022 was the 6th edition of the SAFF Women's Championship. It is organized by the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF).
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Assam
15. Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched multiple projects for the development of the Bogibeel region in Assam.
- Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal laid the foundation stone for the construction of two floating jetties at Bogibeel and Guijan.
- Both the jetties will be constructed by IWAI over the Brahmaputra River. These will be built at a cost of ₹ 8.25 crore by February 2023.
- Apart from floating jetties, Ferry Ghats, floating restaurants, public eating stalls, tourist visits, and picnic spots will also be constructed to make the area a famous tourist spot.
- He also inaugurated Bogibeel Riverfront Passenger Jetty, which has been developed by the Northeast Frontier Railways (NFR).
- A permanent cargo terminal at Bogibeel is also being planned for the transport of cargo from the neighbouring industries.
- The Project Influence Area (PIA) for Bogibeel terminal comprises areas from the districts of Golaghat, Jorhat, Sibsagar, Dibrugarh, Tinsukia, and parts of Nagaland.
- The Project Influence Area (PIA) is known for the paper industry, coal deposits, food processing units, tea estates, fertilizer production units, etc.
- The developmental works at Bogibeel are being done as per the PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan.
- It is a northeastern state of India.
- It is divided into 35 Administrative Districts.
- Himanta Biswa Sarma is the current Chief Minister of Assam, and Prof Jagdish Mukhi is the Governor.
- Bihu is the most popular folk dance in Assam.
Do you know? :
- India is the second largest producer of rice globally after China. In 2021-22, India's rice production was higher than the last 5 years' average production by about 131 lakh tonnes.
- India is followed by Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam and Thailand.
- Since 2012, India has been the largest global rice exporter, followed by Thailand, Vietnam, Pakistan and USA.
- China is the major importer of rice globally followed by the Philippines, Nigeria and the European Union.
- China has become the biggest importer of Indian broken rice.