- 1. NASA successfully completed the first planetary defence test mission.
- 2. Integrated Cryogenic Engines Manufacturing Facility of HAL in Bengaluru has been inaugurated by President Droupadi Murmu.
- 3. World Tourism Day: 27 September
- 4. India installed its first avalanche-monitoring radar in North Sikkim.
- 5. INS Sunayna arrived at Port Victoria, Seychelles to participate in the joint annual training exercise.
- 6. Bathukamma, a nine-day flower festival, began in Telangana on September 25.
- 7. JALDOOT App has been launched by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- 8. Giorgia Meloni is to become the first female PM of Italy after the election victory.
- 9. Suella Braverman wins first Queen Elizabeth II award.
- 10. Government extended Foreign Trade Policy 2015-20 for another six months.
- 11. Food Barons Report claims that the ‘geographic centre of power of the food barons is shifting east’.
- 12. Government launched a Scheme for Special Assistance to States for Capital Investment for 2022-23.
- 13. Rajendra Kumar has been appointed as Director General of ESIC.
- 14. International Day for Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons: 26 September
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: Space and IT
1. NASA successfully completed the first planetary defence test mission.
- On 27 September, the DART (Double Asteroid Redirection Test) spacecraft successfully collided with the asteroid Dimorphos at a speed of 15,000mph.
- This is the world's first mission to test technology for defending Earth against potential asteroid or comet hazards.
- The test was completed successfully as planned without any hitches. It has been designed to prevent a potential meteorite collision with Earth.
- The main aim of the test is to determine whether intentionally colliding a spacecraft with an asteroid is an effective way to change its trajectory.
- The spacecraft’s DRACO instrument captured images of Dimorphos as DART approached the asteroid.
- Dimorphos is a part of a near-Earth asteroid system called Didymos. Didymos has a diameter of around 780 meters and is located at a distance of 487,446,221 kilometres from Earth.
- Asteroids: Asteroids are small, rocky objects that orbit the Sun. These are mainly found between Mars and Jupiter.
Topic: Space and IT
2. Integrated Cryogenic Engines Manufacturing Facility of HAL in Bengaluru has been inaugurated by President Droupadi Murmu.
- President Droupadi Murmu also laid the foundation stone of the South Zonal Institute of Virology.
- The Integrated Cryogenic Engines Manufacturing Facility of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is spread over an area of 4,500 square metres.
- It has more than 70 hi-tech equipment and testing facilities for manufacturing cryogenic (CE20) and semi-cryogenic (SE2000) engines of Indian rockets.
- The facility will full fill the entire Rocket Engine requirement of ISRO under one roof.
- It will boost self-reliance in the manufacturing of Hi-thrust Rocket engines. HAL will start realising the modules by March 2023.
- Cryogenic engines are mostly used in launch vehicles for launching satellites. Only the USA, France, India, Japan, China and Russia have cryogenic technology.
- President inaugurated the new campus of the Indian Institute of Information Technology in Dharwad, Karnataka and St Joseph University.
Topic: Important Days
3. World Tourism Day: 27 September
- World Tourism Day is celebrated every year on 27 September.
- It is celebrated to foster awareness about the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
- ‘Rethinking Tourism’ is the theme of World Tourism Day 2022. It will highlight the importance of the tourism sector as an important pillar for development.
- It is being celebrated every year since 1980. It also marks the anniversary of the adoption of the UNWTO Statutes on 27 September 1970.
- Many countries in the world are completely dependent on the tourism sector for financial stability.
- UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) expects tourism to grow at an average of 3% annually until 2030.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
4. India installed its first avalanche-monitoring radar in North Sikkim.
- It has been jointly installed by the Indian Army and Defence Geoinformatics and Research Establishment (DGRE).
- On September 20, 2022, Lieutenant General Tarn Kumar Aich inaugurated the radar at one of the Forward Posts of the Indian Army, located at an altitude of 15,000 feet in Sikkim.
- This radar is the first of its kind in India and has the capability to detect avalanches within three seconds of its trigger.
- This will help in saving the lives of soldiers and reduce the damage to property in high-altitude areas.
- The avalanche radar was made operational by DGRE of DRDO.
- It can see snow, and fog as well as at night, which makes it an all-weather solution and covers an area of 2 sq/km.
- This radar uses a short micro web pulse and gets activated within three seconds.
- This radar not only issues an alert as soon as the avalanche arrives but can also find the direction of the avalanche.
5. INS Sunayna arrived at Port Victoria, Seychelles to participate in the joint annual training exercise.
- On September 24, the INS Sunayna arrived in Port Victoria, Seychelles, to take part in the Combined Maritime Forces' annual training exercise "Operation Southern Readiness".
- The ship will participate as an associate partner in the capacity-building exercise being conducted by CMF.
- Indian Navy is participating in this joint exercise for the first time.
- Apart from India, America, Italy, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and Spain are participating in this exercise.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: State News/ Telangana
6. Bathukamma, a nine-day flower festival, began in Telangana on September 25.
- A large number of women across the state are participating in the programs organized on the occasion.
- Telangana Governor Tamilsai Soundararajan along with women from different sections of the society created Bathukamma at the Raj Bhavan.
- The main event related to this festival - Saddula Bathukamma will be held on 3 October.
- Women and girls sing and dance around specially arranged flowers during the nine-day annual festival.
- At the end of the nine-day annual flower festival, the flowers are immersed in the local ponds.
- It is celebrated for nine days during Durga Navratri.
- Every year this festival is celebrated usually in September-October.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Government schemes and Initiatives
7. JALDOOT App has been launched by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The app has been developed to track the water level in selected wells in villages across the country.
- The app has been launched on 27 September in New Delhi.
- The Gram Rozgar Sahayak will measure the water level of selected wells twice a year - before and after the monsoon, through the Jaldoot app.
- The ministry has said that the data of this app will help in making a better action plan.
- Ground water level data will be helpful in Gram Panchayat Development Plan and Mahatma Gandhi planning exercises.
- According to the ministry, several steps are being taken to improve water management in rural and urban areas.
- This includes watershed development, afforestation, water body development and renovation and rainwater harvesting.
Topic: International Appointment
8. Giorgia Meloni is to become the first female PM of Italy after the election victory.
- The 'Brothers of Italy' party won the national elections in Italy, the first time since World War II to form a right-wing government.
- Since the formation of the Italian Republic in 1946, 30 men have served as Prime Ministers before her.
- She will be the first woman to lead the government. Meloni was Italy's youngest cabinet minister.
- According to the final results, the center and right-wing coalition won a total of 44 percent of the parliamentary vote, with Meloni's Brothers of Italy party winning 26 percent of the total.
- Matteo Salvini's party received around nine per cent and former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's more moderate Forza Italia party receive nearly eight per cent.
- Giorgia Meloni:
- Meloni was born on 15 January 1977 in Garbatella, a working-class area in Rome.
- She entered politics in 1992 at the age of 15, joining the neo-fascist social movement.
- Before forming the Brothers of Italy in 2012, she served as a youth minister in Berlusconi's 2008-2011 government.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. Suella Braverman wins first Queen Elizabeth II award.
- In Britain, Indian-origin Home Minister Suella Braverman has been nominated for the Queen Elizabeth II Woman of the Year award. This is the first ever award in this category.
- Suella Braverman parents collected the award on her behalf at a ceremony in London.
- Suella Braverman has been recently appointed as Home Secretary by British Prime Minister Liz Truss.
- Suella Braverman was previously Attorney General between 2020-2022. She is a British lawyer of Indian heritage.
- Queen Elizabeth II Woman of the Year Award is sponsored by @AxiomDWFM.
- Other Indian origin winners list:
Arts and Culture category
DNEG Namit Malhotra Firm
Uniformed and Civil Service category
Captain Harpreet Chandi
Professional of Year
Professor Sir Shankar Balasubramanian
Sports Personality of the Year
Karenjeet Kaur Bains
Entrepreneur of the Year
Business Persons of the Year
Shamil and Kavi Thakrar
Topic: Indian Economy
10. Government extended Foreign Trade Policy 2015-20 for another six months.
- The government has extended the time period of Foreign Trade Policy 2015-20 on the demand from Export Promotion Councils and leading exporters.
- Amit Yadav, additional secretary at the department of commerce, told that it is not the correct time to introduce a new Foreign Trade Policy when the global economy is headed toward a recession.
- The decision of extending the Foreign Trade Policy has been taken by the government due to rising inflation and uncertainty due to geopolitical development.
- Foreign Trade Policy was launched in 2015 and was valid for five years – till 2020.
- This is for the second time that the current policy time period has been extended since its launch in 2015.
- It is a framework to increase exports of goods and services. It also emphasizes improving the ease of doing business.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
11. Food Barons Report claims that the ‘geographic centre of power of the food barons is shifting east’.
- The report titled Food Barons 2022 states that the Syngenta Group is now the world's largest agrochemical input firm.
- After Cargill of the U.S, China's COFCO Group is the second largest agricultural commodity trader in the world.
- In the past, industrial agriculture was dominated by companies based in North America and Europe and they were focused on meeting the demand of that region.
- Now, corporate companies of China, Brazil and India are reordering the industrial food chain.
- Companies from China, Germany, the USA, India, Japan and Australia are among the top 10 companies with the highest agrochemical sales.
- The report claimed that tech giants are becoming the key players in the food sector that handle data, networking and AI.
- The report says that the concentration of corporate wealth in agribusiness is one of the main factors of food price inflation.
- The report has ranked food corporates around the world. The issue raised in the report will be discussed in the 15th UN Committee on World Food Security.
- Leading Companies by Agrochemical Sales, 2020:
Syngenta Group (China)
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
12. Government launched a Scheme for Special Assistance to States for Capital Investment for 2022-23.
- States Governments will receive financial assistance under this scheme in the form of a 50-year interest-free loan for capital investment projects.
- Under this scheme, Rs 3000 Crore is earmarked for capital projects on Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) network.
- Recently, the Department of Expenditure has approved proposals of four States namely Uttarakhand (50 cr), Jharkhand (84 cr), Haryana (65 cr) and Karnataka (156 cr).
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her 2022-23 Budget speech had announced total financial assistance of Rs 1 lakh crore for states in the form of 50-year interest-free loans for capital investment projects.
- The financial assistance provided under the Scheme will be over and above the normal borrowing ceiling allowed to the States.
- The Scheme for Special Assistance to States for Capital Investment for 2022-23 has a total of seven parts.
Topic: National Appointment
13. Rajendra Kumar has been appointed as Director General of ESIC.
- Rajendra Kumar is currently serving as an additional secretary in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- V Hekali Zhimomi has been appointed as additional secretary in the Department of Health and Family Welfare.
- Ashish Srivastava has been appointed as an adviser in the Inter-State Council Secretariat, Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Jaideep Kumar Mishra will be the new additional secretary and financial adviser to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Nitishwar Kumar has been appointed as additional secretary and financial adviser in the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Ranjana Chopra will be the new additional secretary and financial adviser in the Ministry of Culture.
- V Radha has been named as an additional secretary in the NITI Aayog.
Topic: Important Days
14. International Day for Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons: 26 September
- Every year, 26th September is observed as the International Day for Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.
- In 2013, the UN General Assembly (UNGA) declared September 26 as the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.
- The main of the day is to aware people of the threat posed to humanity by nuclear weapons.
- It gives an opportunity to spread awareness about the real benefits of eliminating nuclear weapons.
- Atomic Energy Act was signed in 1946 for the control of nuclear energy and the elimination of mass destruction weapons.
- In 1959, the General Assembly had supported the objective of general and complete disarmament.
- The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons was adopted on 7 July 2017.
(Source: News on AIR)