- 1. CRPF appointed two women officers as IGs for the first time.
- 2. South Korea and the United States started a five-day ‘Vigilant Storm’ exercise.
- 3. Ethanol procurement mechanism for public sector OMCs under the Ethanol Blended Petrol programme has been approved by the Cabinet.
- 4. Giridhar Aramane and Sanjeev Chopra assumed charge as secretaries of Defence and Department of Food and Public Distribution respectively.
- 5. Ela Bhatt passed away at the age of 89.
- 6. Dr G Hemaprabha, took over as the first woman director of ICAR-Sugarcane Breeding Institute.
- 7. Maiden flight-test of Phase-II Ballistic Missile Defence interceptor AD-1 missile has been successfully conducted by DRDO.
- 8. Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed from 31st October to 6th November, 2022.
- 9. Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launched a nationwide campaign for the Submission of Digital Life Certificates.
- 10. Astronomers discovered an asteroid named 2022 AP7.
- 11. Zojila Day: 01 November
- 12. Union Cabinet has approved naming of Greenfield Airport at Hollongi, Itanagar as “Donyi Polo Airport, Itanagar”.
- 13. Textiles Ministry approved 20 strategic research projects worth about Rs 74 crore under 'National Technical Textiles Mission'.
- 14. First of its kind fish museum in Northeast will be set up in Arunachal Pradesh soon.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code HOLI24
Topic: National Appointment
1. CRPF appointed two women officers as IGs for the first time.
- Annie Abraham has been made IG of the Rapid Action Force (RAF). It is a specialized anti-riots unit.
- Seema Dhundia has been appointed as Bihar sector IG.
- Both had joined the CRPF in 1987 as the first batch of women officers.
- Annie Abraham has earlier commanded the women-formed police units (FPU) in the UN Mission in Liberia.
- They have received the President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service, Police Medal for Meritorious Service, and the ‘Ati Utkrisht Sewa Padak’ during their service.
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF):
- CRPF was the first central armed police force to induct women in combat in 1986. At present, it has more than 6000 women constables.
- It became the Central Reserve Police Force with enactment of the CRPF Act on 28th December 1949.
- It assists the state/union Territory police to maintain law and order and counter-insurgency operations.
- Inspectors General (IG) is the head of the sector in the CRPF.
- Sujoy Lal Thaosen is the current Director General of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
2. South Korea and the United States started a five-day ‘Vigilant Storm’ exercise.
- A five-day ‘Vigilant Storm’ exercise began on 31st October.
- More than 240 aircraft, including American F-35B stealth fighter jets, are participating in this exercise.
- F-35A stealth jets and F-15K and KF-16 fighters are participating in the exercise from the South Korean side.
- The Air Forces of South Korea and the U.S. will enhance operational capabilities by conducting various air operations such as strike package flights, air defence, and emergency air interdiction.
- Recently, South Korea concluded its annual Hoguk field training exercises.
Topic: National News
3. Ethanol procurement mechanism for public sector OMCs under the Ethanol Blended Petrol programme has been approved by the Cabinet.
- Under the chairmanship of PM Modi, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved higher ethanol prices derived from different sugarcane-based raw materials under the Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme.
- Approval has been given for the upcoming sugar season 2022-23 during ESY 2022-23 from 1st December 2022 to 31st October 2023.
- Increase in price of ethanol is as follows;
- Increase in the price of ethanol from Rs.46.66 per liter to Rs.49.41 per liter from C Heavy molasses Route,
- Increase in the price of ethanol from Rs.59.08 per liter to Rs.60.73 per liter from the B-heavy molasses Route,
- Increase in the price of ethanol from sugarcane juice/sugar/sugar syrup route from Rs 63.45 per liter to Rs 65.61 per litre,
- In addition, GST and transportation charges will also be payable.
- All distilleries will be able to take advantage of the scheme and a large number of them are expected to supply ethanol for the EBP programme.
- The remunerative price to the ethanol suppliers will help in making quick payments to the sugarcane farmers, contributing to easing the hardship of the sugarcane farmers in the process.
- The government is implementing the EBP program, especially as Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) sell petrol that contains up to 10 percent ethanol.
- This program has been implemented with effect from 1st April 2019 across India, except for the Union Territories of Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep Islands to promote the use of alternative and environment-friendly fuels.
- The government has notified the directed price of ethanol since 2014.
- The government had, for the first time, announced differential pricing of ethanol based on the feedstock used for ethanol production during 2018.
- The procurement of ethanol by Public Sector OMCs has increased from 38 crore liters in Ethanol Supply Year 2013-14 to contracts of over 452 crore liters in ongoing ESY 2021-22.
Topic: National Appointments
4. Giridhar Aramane and Sanjeev Chopra assumed charge as secretaries of Defence and Department of Food and Public Distribution respectively.
- On 1 November, Giridhar Aramane assumed charge as the Defence Secretary.
- He replaced Ajay Kumar, who retired at the end of the previous month.
- Prior to this, Armane was serving as the secretary of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Shri Sanjeev Chopra has assumed charge as Secretary of the Department of Food and Public Distribution with effect from 31 October 2022 in the Ministry of Consumer Affairs.
- He also served as the Chairman of Industrial Promotion and Investment Corporation Limited under the Government of Odisha.
- The Government of India awarded Sanjeev Chopra the National e-Governance Award for Excellence in Government Process Re-engineering for Digital Transformation in the years 2020 and 2021.
Topic: Personality in News
5. Ela Bhatt passed away at the age of 89.
- Ela Bhatt, a well-known women's rights and micro-finance activist, lawyer, and Padma Bhushan recipient passed on November 2.
- Ela Bhatt was a renowned Gandhian who advocated the economic empowerment of women.
- She founded and led the Self-Employed Women's Association (SEWA) in India.
- In 1973, she founded the 'SEWA' Co-operative Bank to persuade the economic welfare of women.
- In 1979, she also co-founded Women's World Banking.
- In 1985, she received the Padma Shri, India's fourth-highest civilian honour.
- In 1986, she received the Padma Bhushan, the third-highest civilian honour.
- In 2011, she received the Gandhi Peace Prize for her efforts in empowering women through entrepreneurship.
- In 1977, she also received the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership.
Topic: National Appointments
6. Dr G Hemaprabha, took over as the first woman director of ICAR-Sugarcane Breeding Institute.
- The ICAR-Sugarcane Breeding Institute, a 111-year-old institution, has appointed its first-ever woman director.
- Dr G Hemaprabha has been appointed as the Director of the Institute till 2024 under the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- She has been appointed on the recommendations of the Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board, New Delhi.
- She has so far developed 27 sugarcane varieties and registered 15 sugarcane genetic stocks with more than 34 years of research experience in sugarcane genetic improvement.
- Sugarcane Breeding Institute (SBI):
- It is a central research institute affiliated with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- It was established in 1912 in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- It is the only sugarcane research institute in the country and was founded to promote research efforts in sugarcane production.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks
|October Monthly Current Affairs
|September Monthly Current Affairs
|August Monthly Current Affairs
|July Monthly Current Affairs
7. Maiden flight-test of Phase-II Ballistic Missile Defence interceptor AD-1 missile has been successfully conducted by DRDO.
- The flight test has been conducted from APJ Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha.
- It has been conducted with the participation of all BMD weapon system elements located at different geographical locations.
- The AD-1 missile is a long-range interceptor missile. It is designed for both low exo-atmospheric and endo-atmospheric interception of long-range ballistic missiles as well as aircraft.
- It is propelled by a two-stage solid motor.
- It is equipped with an indigenously-developed advanced control system, navigation and guidance algorithm to precisely guide the vehicle to the target.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
8. Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed from 31st October to 6th November, 2022.
- Vigilance Awareness Week is observed by Central Vigilance Commission during the week in which 31st October, the birthday of the late Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel falls.
- This year, the theme for Vigilance Awareness Week is ‘Corruption free India for a developed Nation’.
- A three-month campaign had been carried out by the Central Vigilance Commission as a precursor to Vigilance Awareness Week 2022.
- The campaign highlighted certain preventive vigilance initiatives as focus areas for all the Ministries/ Departments/ Organizations.
- As a part of Vigilance Awareness Week, a function will be held by the Central Vigilance Commission at Vigyan Bhawan on the 3rd of November.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
9. Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launched a nationwide campaign for the Submission of Digital Life Certificates.
- Dr Jitendra Singh urged all pensioners to use the facility of Face Authentication technology.
- On this occasion, Dr Jitendra Singh announced two initiatives for Pensioner’s welfare.
- The government will initiate efforts for the universalization of the Integrated Pensioners’ Portal as the Bhavishya 9.0 version.
- Its main aim will be to enhance ‘Ease of Living’ for Central Government Pensioners by incorporating different Portals of the Pensions department and 17 Pension Disbursing Banks’ portals.
- State Bank of India is the first pension disbursing Bank to integrate its Pension Seva Portal with ‘BHAVISHYA’.
- The Department of Pensions and Pensioners Welfare will soon launch National Anubhav Awardees Webinar Series.
- Two Anubhav Awardees/webinars will be introduced as speakers to share their own experiences on Anubhav Portal and increase awareness on filling up amongst retired employees.
- Initially, the government launched a system to submit DLCs using biometrics. After then, a face-recognition technology system based on the Aadhaar database has been developed for the submission of DLC.
Topic: Space and IT
10. Astronomers discovered an asteroid named 2022 AP7.
- A team of Astronomers have discovered three massive near-Earth asteroids and one of them is 2022 AP7.
- The other two asteroids are- 2021 LJ4 and 2021 PH27. 2021 LJ4 is the smallest in size while 2021 PH27 is closest to the Sun.
- Astronomers said that ‘2022 AP7’ is the largest potentially hazardous asteroid (PHA) discovered since 2014.
- It has been found by Scott Sheppard and his team during twilight. Astronomers used a Dark Energy Camera at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile.
- ‘2022 AP7’ has a diameter of 1 to 2 km and it will cross Earth’s orbit.
- Any asteroid with 1km in size is considered a planet killer. Currently, it has no chance to hit the Earth.
- Within Earth’s orbit, Astronomers have only discovered around 25 asteroids.
- Asteroids are small, rocky objects that orbit the Sun. These are mainly found between Mars and Jupiter.
Topic: Important Days
11. Zojila Day: 01 November
- On November 1, Zojila Day was observed at the Zojila War Memorial near Drass.
- The day was observed to honour the bravery displayed by Indian troops during "Operation Bison" in 1948.
- Operation Bison was launched from the icy heights of the Zojila pass, the entrance to Ladakh.
- The commemoration of the day was marked with a solemn wreath-laying by Commander Dras Warriors of the Leh-based Fire and Fury Corps.
- Operation Bison is the codename of capture of Zoji La, Drass and Kargil district in Ladakh by the Indian Army during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947-1948.
- Zojila Pass is located in Union territory of Ladakh, Kargil district. It is a high mountain pass in the Himalayas.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/Arunachal Pradesh
12. Union Cabinet has approved naming of Greenfield Airport at Hollongi, Itanagar as “Donyi Polo Airport, Itanagar”.
- State Government of Arunachal Pradesh had passed the resolution to name the airport as Donyi Polo Airport, Itanagar.
- The new name reflects the people’s reverence of the Sun (Donyi) and the Moon (Polo) to symbolize the traditions and rich cultural heritage of the State.
- Union government had given in-principle approval for development of Hollongi Greenfield Airport in January, 2019.
- Union cabinet has also approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Denmark on cooperation in the field of Water Resources Development and Management.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
13. Textiles Ministry approved 20 strategic research projects worth about Rs 74 crore under 'National Technical Textiles Mission'.
- Of these, five projects are related to special fibres, six projects to agricultural textiles and two each to smart textiles, protective gear and apparel and geotextiles.
- These strategic projects were approved in a meeting held in New Delhi on 1 November under the chairmanship of Union Textiles Minister Piyush Goyal.
- Shri Goyal said that linkages between industry and academia are essential for promoting research and development in the application areas of technical fabrics.
- He also said that building relationships with academicians, scientists and researchers is the need of the hour.
- Despite the widespread use of special fibre in India, Shri Piyush Goyal said that the indigenization of technology is still a major challenge which requires collaboration between both industry and academia.
- National Technical Textiles Mission:
- The government has launched a National Technical Textiles Mission for promoting research and development in the textile sector.
- The focus of the Mission is to promote the use of technical textiles in various strategic sectors.
- The government had launched National Technical Textiles Mission for a period of 4 years (2020-21 to 2023-24) with an outlay of Rs.1480 crores.
Topic: National News
14. First of its kind fish museum in Northeast will be set up in Arunachal Pradesh soon.
- The museum has been sanctioned by the Union Ministry of Fisheries and it will be a part of the Integrated Aqua Park (IAP).
- In order for the museum to be built, the existing Tarin Fish Farm (TFF), which is situated in the high-altitude Bulla village, will be upgraded as the IAP.
- It will have all the state's fish species and will act as a training center for the fishermen.
- In the current financial year, an amount of Rs 43.59 crore was sanctioned for the project as the first installment.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMSY), PM Narendra Modi announced one IAP for each state and union territory three years ago to bring about a blue revolution.
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY):
- Government of India launched PMMSY in May 2020 as part of the AtmaNirbhar Bharat Package with the highest ever investment of Rs. 20,050 crores.
- The schemes will be implemented from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all states/UTs.