- 1. Renowned Hong Kong actor Kenneth Tsang passed away at the age of 86.
- 2. Devendra Fadnavis released a book titled 'Amit Shah Ani Bhajapachi Vatchal'.
- 3. Government planning to launch an e-commerce network in 100 cities.
- 4. Life Insurance Corporation IPO will open for public from May 4 to 9.
- 5. First-of-its-kind gene bank project approved by the Maharashtra Cabinet.
- 6. International Jazz Day 2022: 30 April
- 7. LG Baggavalli Somashekar Raju will assume charge as Vice Chief of Army Staff on 01 May 2022.
- 8. India Pharma and India Medical Devices Awards 2022 presented by Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- 9. Chinese President Xi Jinping proposed a 'global security initiative’.
- 10. Government approved the sale of 51 per cent equity in Pawan Hans Limited.
- 11. IndiGo becomes first airline to use the indigenous navigation system GAGAN.
- 12. L&T collaborated with IIT Bombay to develop Green Hydrogen Technology.
- 13. India's first cable bridge- Anji Khad Bridge to be complete by this year.
- 14. Deepika Padukone will be part of the Cannes Film Festival jury.
Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
Topic: Personality in News
1. Renowned Hong Kong actor Kenneth Tsang passed away at the age of 86.
- A famous Hong Kong actor Kenneth Tsang died in a hotel in a southern Chinese city.
- He is famous for his action roles in the 2002 James Bond film Die Another Day, John Woo’s The Killer in 1989, and Rush Hour 2 in 2001.
- Tsang began his acting career after passing from the University of California. He made his debut in 1955.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Books and Authors
2. Devendra Fadnavis released a book titled 'Amit Shah Ani Bhajapachi Vatchal'.
- 'Amit Shah Ani Bhajapachi Vatchal' is originally written by Dr Anirban Ganguly and Shivanand Dwivedi.
- It has been translated into Marathi by Dr Jyostna Kolhatkar.
- This book has documented the life journey of Amit Shah and his contribution in building the BJP.
- Amit Shah has served as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party from 2014 to 2020. He is the youngest serving full-time Home Minister.
Topic: National News
3. Government planning to launch an e-commerce network in 100 cities.
- The government plans to launch an indigenously developed online e-commerce network in 100 Indian cities, which will provide millions of Kirana stores and consumers an alternative to multinational platforms such as Amazon and Flipkart.
- The beta launch will unveil the IT applications of the Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) and registry covering a small number of retailers and customers initially in Bengaluru.
- The project is huge because it will provide consumers and retailers with a lot of options, and it will be officially launched after the system has been thoroughly tested.
- The initial trial launch, which began in Bengaluru, will also cover Delhi, Coimbatore, Bhopal, and Shillong.
- The system will have multiple options for both retailers and customers in terms of cataloguing, inventory, warehousing, suppliers, logistics, and payments.
Topic: Corporates / Companies
4. Life Insurance Corporation IPO will open for public from May 4 to 9.
- On the 17th of May, the LIC IPO will be listed on the share markets.
- For its maiden public offering, LIC, the country's largest life insurer, has set a price band of 902 to 949 rupees per Equity Share.
- Investors can apply for a minimum of 15 shares and thereafter in its multiples.
- The LIC has offered a 45 rupees per equity share discount to retail and eligible employees, and a 60 rupees per equity share discount to policyholders.
- The Equity Share's Floor Price is 90.2 times its face value, while the Equity Share's Cap Price is 94.9 times its face value.
- With this IPO, which is through the offer-for-sale (OFS) route, the government will sell its 3.5 percent stake in the insurer by selling 22.13 crore shares.
- Life Insurance Corporation (LIC):
- It was formed in September 1956. The government of India completely (100%) owns LIC. It is headquartered in Mumbai.
- Its slogan is yogakshemam vahamyaham (Your welfare is our responsibility).
Topic: State news/ Maharashtra
5. First-of-its-kind gene bank project approved by the Maharashtra Cabinet.
- At a cost of more than Rs 172 crore, the Maharashtra Cabinet approved a gene bank initiative aimed at conserving genetic resources in the state.
- The forest department will execute the Maharashtra Gene Bank project.
- For the project, a special unit will be established under the chairmanship of the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests.
- The cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray also accepted the report of a ministerial panel on nomadic tribes and other special backward classes.
- The panel was constituted in October 2020 to study the benefits given to nomadic tribes and other special backward classes.
Topic: Important days
6. International Jazz Day 2022: 30 April
- International Jazz Day is observed on April 30 each year to honour the unifying power of music.
- The aim of the day is to raise awareness of jazz's virtues as an educational tool as well as a force for empathy, dialogue, and improved cooperation among people.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) declared 30 April as International Jazz Day in 2011.
Topic: National Appointments
7. LG Baggavalli Somashekar Raju will assume charge as Vice Chief of Army Staff on 01 May 2022.
- He was commissioned into JAT Regiment on 15th December 1984.
- He is an alumnus of Sainik School Bijapur and National Defence Academy.
- He had commanded his battalion during Operation Parakram in Western Theatre and in Jammu and Kashmir.
- He also commanded Uri brigade along the Line of Control and the Chinar Corps in the Kashmir Valley.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
8. India Pharma and India Medical Devices Awards 2022 presented by Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- The Minister, Bhagwanth Khuba, presented awards during the 7th edition of the International Conference on Pharma and Medical Devices sector 2022.
- The conference was organized in New Delhi. The theme of India Pharma 2022 is India Pharma-Vision 2047: Transformative agenda for future.
- The theme of India Medical Device 2022 is Transforming Healthcare through Innovation and Integrated Services.
- India Pharma and India Medical Devices event is organized annually by Department of Pharmaceuticals in collaboration with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI).
- This year, six categories of India Pharma and India Medical Devices Awards were announced by Department of Pharma.
- Zydus Lifesciences Limited has won India pharma CSR Company of year award. The list of winners in different categories is given below.
India Pharma and India Medical Devices Awards 2022
India pharma CSR company of year
Zydus Lifesciences Limited
India pharma innovation of year
India medical device innovative of year
Meril Life Sciences
India medical device start-up of year
India medical device MSME of year
Nice Neotech Medical Systems
Company of year
India pharma (formulation) company of year
Micro Labs Limited
India medical devices company of year
India pharma leader of year
India medical devices leader of year
Poly Medicure Limited
Topic: International News
9. Chinese President Xi Jinping proposed a 'global security initiative’.
- Xi Jinping has proposed this initiative on the principle of "indivisible security". This principle is also endorsed by Russia.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping said that it will help in preventing future conflicts.
- Although, he gave no details of how it would be implemented.
- As per the Chinese officials, it has been proposed for countering the U.S. Indo-Pacific strategy and the Quad grouping.
- The principle of "indivisible security" means that no country can strengthen its own security at the expense of others.
Topic: National News
10. Government approved the sale of 51 per cent equity in Pawan Hans Limited.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the selling of 51 per cent stake in helicopter services provider Pawan Hans Ltd (PHL) to Star9 Mobility for Rs 211.24 cr.
- The government had received three bids for the Pawan Hans sale. The government had fixed the Reserve Price of Rs 199.92 crore for the sale of 51 per cent.
- The other two bids were for Rs 181.05 crore and Rs 153.15 crore.
- ONGC had already said that it would give its entire stake to the successful bidder in the strategic disinvestment deal at the same price and terms.
- Pawan Hans Ltd (PHL) is a joint venture of the government of India and ONGC for providing helicopter and aero mobility services.
- The government holds 51 per cent of the shares in the company and ONGC holds the balance 49 per cent shareholding.
- Pawan Hans Limited has a fleet of 42 helicopters, it is incurring losses for the last three financial years.
11. IndiGo becomes first airline to use the indigenous navigation system GAGAN.
- IndiGo’s ATR-72 aircraft landed at the Kishangarh airport in Rajasthan by using GPS-aided geo-augmented navigation (GAGAN).
- GAGAN is used to provide lateral and vertical guidance to aircraft while approaching for landing.
- GAGAN will play a key role in modernizing India’s civil aviation sector and reducing flight delays and improving flight safety.
- The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) had given order to fit GAGAN in all aircraft registered in India after 1 July, 2021.
- GPS Aided GEO Augmented Navigation (GAGAN):
- It has been developed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) and the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- It is a system of satellites and ground stations that provide GPS signals with better position accuracy.
12. L&T collaborated with IIT Bombay to develop Green Hydrogen Technology.
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has signed an agreement with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay for research and development in the Green Hydrogen value chain.
- Under this agreement, both the institutions will contribute to the development of the Green Hydrogen industry in India.
- IIT Bombay technologists will help in the development of indigenous technologies for Green Hydrogen technology.
- The government has notified the Green Hydrogen policy for boosting the production of Green Hydrogen and Green Ammonia.
- Green Hydrogen will help in reducing dependence on imported fossil fuels.
- India’s National Hydrogen Mission will help in achieving India’s target of becoming net-zero by 2070.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
13. India's first cable bridge- Anji Khad Bridge to be complete by this year.
- India's first cable-stayed bridge- Anji Khad Bridge is being built in the Reasi district of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Anji Khad Bridge is situated over the Anji River and it will connect the Katra-Reasi section at the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla route.
- 80 per cent of work on the 272-kilometre long Udhampur-Baramulla Railway Line has been completed.
- 111 km railway line project between Katra and Banihal is the highest altitude railway network in India.
- Indian Railway is using the most advanced technologies for the planning and construction of the Kashmir Railway Project.
Topic: Personality in News
14. Deepika Padukone will be part of the Cannes Film Festival jury.
- Indian Actor Deepika Padukone will be a part of the 2022 Cannes Film Festival jury.
- French actor Vincent Lindon will lead the jury at the 75th edition of the Cannes Film Festival.
- The jury comprises five men and four women. The jury will announce this year’s winners on 28 May.
- Cannes Film Festival:
- It was established on 20 September 1946.
- It is an annual film festival held every year in Cannes, France.
- It showcases new films of all genres, including documentaries from all over the world.