- 1. Project Kuber has been launched by SBI in Bengaluru.
- 2. Shuchita Shekhar will lead the Communication Zone Mechanical Transport Battalion.
- 3. President Draupadi Murmu conferred with Suriname's highest civilian honour.
- 4. India's first international cruise ship - MV Empress was flagged off from Chennai to Sri Lanka.
- 5. S. Jaishankar co-chairs with Namibian Foreign Minister the first India-Namibia Joint Commission.
- 6. Asia's largest cluster development scheme launched in Thane.
- 7. RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das launched ANTARDRIHSTI.
- 8. Lavender Festival inaugurated by Union Minister Jitendra Singh in Bhaderwah valley of J&K.
- 9. Kerala Fibre Optic Network project has been launched by CM Pinarayi Vijayan.
- 10. Rajasthan Forest and Environment Minister inaugurated 33 air quality monitoring stations.
- 11. A year-long silver Jubilee celebrations of Amritha Hospital inaugurated by Union Minister Amit Shah in Kochi on 4 June.
- 12. World’s Largest Conservation Conference will be hosted by UAE in 2025.
- 13. Ministry of Education released National Institutional Ranking Framework ranking for 2023.
- 14. Veteran Actress Sulochana Didi passed away in Mumbai at the age of 94.
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: Banking System
1. Project Kuber has been launched by SBI in Bengaluru.
- The State Bank of India has launched Project Kuber to cater banking needs of customers.
- It has been launched by Bengaluru Circle of SBI. This project will have four Transaction Banking Hubs and One Corporate Salary Package Hub.
- These hubs have been inaugurated by Nand Kishore, chief general manager, SBI, Bengaluru Circle.
- These hubs are located at SBI Administrative Building, in KG Road, and Sampige Road, in Malleswaram.
- Transaction Banking Hubs will offer service to corporate/non-corporate clients. It will help them from account opening to onboarding on SBI’s digital platforms.
- These hubs will act as a one-stop destination for all payment and collection-related requirements.
- A dedicated team will help business partners and customers in using digital banking services like Yono Business, e-Payments, Cash Management Products, etc.
- State Bank of India (SBI):
- It is a nationalized public sector bank.
- The current SBI was founded on 01 July 1955.
- Its headquarters is in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Dinesh Kumar Khara is its chairperson.
2. Shuchita Shekhar will lead the Communication Zone Mechanical Transport Battalion.
- Colonel Shuchita Shekhar has become the first woman officer to assume command of a Communication Zone Mechanical Transport Battalion.
- Communication Zone Mechanical Transport Battalion maintains the Supply Chain of the fully operational Northern Command.
- In recent times, Indian Army has encouraged women’s presence at the top of the hierarchy.
- This is a significant step towards promoting gender equality and inclusivity in Indian Army.
- Earlier this year, five women officers completed their training at the Officers Training Academy (OTA) in Chennai.
- Flight Lieutenant Shivangi Singh recently becomes the first woman pilot of the Indian Air Force to fly the Rafale fighter jet.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. President Draupadi Murmu conferred with Suriname's highest civilian honour.
- President Draupadi Murmu has been awarded Suriname's highest civilian award "the Grand Order of the Chain of the Yellow Star" in Paramaribo, Suriname.
- She received the honor from Chandrikaprasad Santokhi, the President of the Republic of Suriname.
- President Murmu is the first Indian to receive this award.
- President Murmu is on a 3-day state visit to Suriname.
- There is a need to work together to expand bilateral trade for mutual benefit, she said.
- In this line, 3 MoUs were signed between the two countries. Two MoUs were signed in the field of health and one in the field of agriculture.
- In addition, the Indian government announced the supply of essential medicines worth Rs 5.1 crore to Suriname to aid the Caribbean country's flood relief efforts.
- A symbolic consignment of medicines was presented by President Murmu to President Santokhi at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The Government of India has extended the OCI facility to 5th and 6th generation Persons of Indian Origin in Suriname.
- This was a long pending demand of the Indian diaspora there.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: India and Its Neighbours
4. India's first international cruise ship - MV Empress was flagged off from Chennai to Sri Lanka.
- On 5 June, India's first international cruise ship "MV Empress" has been flagged off by Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal to Sri Lanka from Chennai.
- With this, the International Cruise Tourism Terminal has started from Chennai. This terminal has been built at a cost of about Rs 17 crore 21 lakh.
- This will usher in a new era of maritime tourism and trade in the country.
- Shri Sonowal along with other port officials also planted 2.5 thousand saplings on Environment Day.
- This cruise service is a result of the MoU signed between Chennai Port and M/s Waterways Leisure Tourism Pvt Ltd during the first Incredible India International Cruise Summit in 2022 to start domestic and international cruise services.
- The modern cruise terminal developed at Chennai Port is spread over an area of 2,880 sqm with a capacity to host 3,000 passengers at a time.
- The cruise service will connect Hambantota, Trincomalee and Kankekanturi ports of Sri Lanka.
- The Ministry of Shipping and Waterways is taking several steps to promote cruise tourism in the country and increase opportunities for maritime trade.
(Source: News on AIR)
5. S. Jaishankar co-chairs with Namibian Foreign Minister the first India-Namibia Joint Commission.
- The first India-Namibia Joint Commission co-chaired by External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and Namibian Foreign Minister Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah at Windhoek.
- India-Namibia relations have been built on developmental cooperation, capacity building programs and political solidarity.
- He said that the Joint Commission will review and evaluate the progress of India-Namibia relations.
- This process of high level visits and continuous dialogue will help in better navigating the India-Namibia partnership in the times to come.
- In addition, the India-Namibia Centre of Excellence in Information Technology inaugurated by the External Affairs Minister in Windhoek.
- This center will contribute to research, cyber security and good governance.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
6. Asia's largest cluster development scheme launched in Thane.
- Asia's largest, ambitious and historic cluster development scheme has been launched by Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde in Thane.
- The scheme is envisaged for the mass redevelopment of unauthorized and officially dangerous buildings.
- The scheme has been launched after 18 people died in the Sairaj building collapse in Thane.
- The redeveloped township plan includes well equipped health, educational, sports, recreational, parking, mandi and civic amenities.
- City and Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO) will implement this project.
- Under the project, integrated redevelopment project will be done on the lines of township. The resident will get a 323 Sq ft ownership house.
- The scheme will be implemented not only in Thane but also in Mumbai and Mira-Bhayander area of Thane district.
- In the first phase of the cluster development, 10,000 houses will be constructed over an area of 1500 acres in Thane.
- Stalled or delayed projects will be completed with great initiative with the help of CIDCO, MHADA and BMC and those who had to migrate out of Mumbai will be brought back.
(Source: News on AIR)
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|April Monthly Current Affairs||March Monthly Current Affairs|
|February Monthly Current Affairs||January Monthly Current Affairs|
7. RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das launched ANTARDRIHSTI.
- It is a Financial Inclusion Dashboard. It will provide the required insight to assess the progress of financial inclusion.
- It will also provide the required insight to monitor the progress of financial inclusion.
- It will also enable the ability to gauge the extent of financial inclusion across the country.
- The dashboard is presently intended for internal use in the RBI.
- It will facilitate more financial inclusion through a multi-stakeholder approach.
8. Lavender Festival inaugurated by Union Minister Jitendra Singh in Bhaderwah valley of J&K.
- He said that the Union Territory has emerged as the lavender capital of India.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (CSIR-IIIM) has organised the festival on 4th and 5th June 2023.
- The festival is part of the CSIR-IIIM’s 'One Week One Lab Campaign'.
- Mr Singh called Bhaderwah the birthplace of India's purple revolution. He highlighted its success in promoting lavender cultivation.
- The land and climatic conditions in the Bhaderwah region are ideal for lavender cultivation.
- He noted that PM Modi has acknowledged CSIR-IIIM’s efforts in supporting farmers in Bhaderwah's Doda district through the CSIR-aroma Mission.
- The CSIR-aroma Mission has played a key role in promoting lavender cultivation in the temperate regions of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The primary goal of the CSIR-aroma Mission is to increase small and marginal farmers’ income and foster the development of agriculture-based startups.
- Under this mission, over 30 lakh free lavender plants have been provided by CSIR-IIIM to farmers in different districts of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Purple or Lavender Revolution was launched in 2016 by the Union Ministry of Science & Technology under the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research’s (CSIR) Aroma Mission.
Topic: State News/ Kerala
9. Kerala Fibre Optic Network project has been launched by CM Pinarayi Vijayan.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan launched the Kerala Fibre Optic Network project (KFON) at Shankaranarayanan Thambi Hall.
- The main aim of the project is to ensure that internet facilities should be available to all at affordable rates.
- It also aims to provide free internet to more than 20 lakh poor families.
- With the inauguration of the KFON, the Kerala government is aiming to reduce the digital divide in the state.
- CM Pinarayi Vijayan announced that an internet connection would be provided to all Government offices and houses soon.
- In the first phase of KFON, thirty thousand government institutions and fourteen thousand houses will receive internet facilities.
- The KFON network has already reached remote locations, including tribal hamlets in Wayanad.
- Kerala is the only state in the country which has made the right to access the internet a basic right.
- A digital literacy campaign has been also started by the state government through various local bodies to ensure that everyone is able to use basic services through the Internet.
- Kerala Fiber Optic Network project (KFON):
- It got the Internet Service Provider Licence from the Department of Telecommunications in 2022,
- It is an initiative of Kerala government to provide high-speed internet connectivity.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Rajasthan
10. Rajasthan Forest and Environment Minister inaugurated 33 air quality monitoring stations.
- On the occasion of World Environment Day, Rajasthan Forest and Environment Minister Hemaram Chaudhary flagged off a public awareness rally.
- He also laid the foundation stone of the Integrated Resource Recovery Park at Tholai in the Jamwa Ramgarh area.
- He also launched the Rajasthan e-waste Management Policy, Rajasthan Climate Change Policy and Rajasthan Forest Policy – 2023.
- The new forest policy will augment the sustainable management of forests, wildlife, biodiversity and protected areas through scientific, traditional and experimental knowledge.
- Notifications of new wetlands and a study on plastic waste inventorization in Rajasthan were also released.
- The Forest department of Rajasthan distributed two thousand saplings free of cost to people.
- The Rajasthan government's new forest policy promotes plantation of trees.
- Air Quality Monitoring Station (AQMS): It measures air pollutants present in the air. The air quality is reported based on the Air Pollution Index (API).
Topic: State News/ Kerala
11. A year-long silver Jubilee celebrations of Amritha Hospital inaugurated by Union Minister Amit Shah in Kochi on 4 June.
- During the event, Shri Shah also inaugurated two research centers at Amritapuri in Kollam and Amrita Hospital in Kochi.
- On the occasion, Kerala Health Minister Veena George also released a commemorative plaque to mark the silver jubilee celebrations.
- Mata Amritanandamayi played an important role in spreading the message of Sanatan Dharma in the world.
- She had displayed the good aspects of Sanatana Dharma to the world and spread the message of care, love and compassion to millions of people.
- She gave hope, direction and support to more than four crore people.
- Mata Amritanandamayi Math had built 1,200 earthquake-resistant houses in Gujarat for earthquake survivors.
12. World’s Largest Conservation Conference will be hosted by UAE in 2025.
- The bid to host the 2025 World Conservation Congress (WCC) of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has been won by United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- The WCC is the world's largest and most important gathering of conservationists, and more than 10,000 delegates from more than 160 countries are expected to attend.
- The UAE has a long history of environmental protection, and it has taken several important conservation initiatives, including the Sheikh Zayed Desert Learning Centre and the Al Ain Oasis.
- From October 10-21, 2025, the 2025 WCC will be held in Abu Dhabi.
- The event will be an opportunity for conservationists from around the world to come together and discuss the most pressing environmental challenges facing of earth.
- IUCN WCC 2025 will be an event that can inspire conservation action to protect our planet amid local and global challenges.
- IUCN was established in 1948 and has become the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Rankings
13. Ministry of Education released National Institutional Ranking Framework ranking for 2023.
- The eighth edition of the National Institutional Ranking Framework ranking has been released by Rajkumar Ranjan Singh, minister of State (MoS) of Education.
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) have dominated the NIRF Rankings 2023.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has topped in the overall category. IISC Bengaluru and IIT Delhi are in second and third spots respectively.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras topped, followed by IIT-Bombay, IIT-Kanpur and IIT-Roorkee, in the Engineering category.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) are among the top 10 institutes in India.
- Miranda House, Hindu College, and Presidency College, Chennai are the top three Colleges of India.
- In the medical college category, AIIMS Delhi is in the first position.
- In the University category, IISc Bangalore is in First position and while JNU and Jamia Millia Islamia are in second and third spots respectively.
- The ranking has been announced in several categories including Overall, Top ten Universities, Engineering, Pharmacy and Management.
- The 'Agriculture and Allied Sector' category has been added to this year’s NIRF Ranking.
- Indian Agriculture Research Institute, New Delhi is in the first spot in the 'Agriculture and Allied Sector' category.
- NLU Bengaluru, NLU Delhi, and NALSAR Hyderabad are the top three law institutes in India.
- IISc Bengaluru is the top research institute in India followed by IIT Madras and IIT Delhi.
- In the Pharmacy Category, the National Institutes of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) Hyderabad bagged the first spot.
- In the Management Category, IIM Ahmedabad has bagged the first position, followed by IIM Bangalore and IIM Kozhikode.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Personality in News
14. Veteran Actress Sulochana Didi passed away in Mumbai at the age of 94.
- Sulochana Didi was famous for her role of a mother in Bollywood movies.
- In Bollywood and Marathi film industry, Sulochana Latkar is popularly known as Sulochana didi.
- She has worked in more than 300 Hindi and Marathi Movies. Her first film was Chimukala Sansar, which was released in 1943.
- Yarana, Kati Patang, Roti Kapda aur Makan, Mere Jeevan Saathi, Sarswatichandra, etc. are some of her popular Hindi movies.
- She received the Padma Shree award in 1999 and the Lifetime Achievement Award by Filmfare in 2004.
- She was also a recipient of the Maharashtra Bhushan, V. Shantaram Award, and Best Actress by Maharashtra Government.