Daily Current Affairs and GK | 7 July 2021
- 1. President appoints new Governors for eight states.
- 2. Manpreet Singh and Mary Kom to be flag-bearers at Tokyo Olympics.
- 3. Renowned Actor Dilip Kumar passes away at the age of 98.
- 4. 2021 Airline of the Year awarded to Korean Air.
- 5. Indo-Pacific Business Summit 2021 started on 6 July.
- 6. Environment, Forest and Climate Change Ministry and Tribal Affairs Ministry sign a joint communication to empower tribal communities.
- 7. Shri Prakash Javadekar inaugurates virtual India Pavilion at 74th Cannes Film Festival.
- 8. India’s first FASTag/UPI-based cashless parking launched by DMRC at Kashmere Gate metro station.
- 9. New venues for AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 confirmed.
- 10. PhonePe partners with Flipkart to digitize cash-on-delivery payments.
- 11. Minister for Road Transport and Highways & MSME Shri Nitin Gadkari becomes “Brand Ambassador” of Khadi Prakritik Paint.
- 12. King Cobra sighted at Maharashtra’s Tillari conservation reserve.
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
1. President appoints new Governors for eight states.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the appointments of new Governors in eight states.
- Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, Thaawarchand Gehlot, has been appointed as Governor of Karnataka.
- Under Article 155, the governor of a state is appointed by the President of India.
- Governor is the constitutional head of the state and holds office during the pleasure of the President.
- Article 153 to Article 162 of the Indian Constitution is associated with the appointment, removal, powers, etc. of the Governor.
- All the executive actions of the State government are taken under the name of a Governor.
- Newly Appointed Governors are:
Hari Babu Kambhampati
Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel
Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar
PS Sreedharan Pillai
Satyadev Narayan Arya
2. Manpreet Singh and Mary Kom to be flag-bearers at Tokyo Olympics.
- MC Mary Kom and Manpreet Singh have been named as flag-bearers of the Indian contingent at the Tokyo Olympics.
- MC Mary Kom is the six-time world boxing champion and Manpreet Singh is the skipper of the men’s hockey team.
- Bajrang Punia will be the flag-bearer at the closing ceremony.
- More than 100 Indian athletes would take part in Tokyo Olympics. The Indian contingent has 56 percent male and 44 percent female athletes.
- The Tokyo Games are scheduled to be organized from July 23 to 8 August.
- Last year, International Olympic Committee (IOC) had made provisions for the flag-bearers from both genders at the opening ceremony.
Topic: Personality in News
3. Renowned Actor Dilip Kumar passes away at the age of 98.
- Famous actor Dilip Kumar passed away at the age of 98 due to prolonged illness.
- He was born in 1922. His original name was Mohammed Yusuf Khan.
- He made his first debut in 1944 in the film Jwar Bhata.
- Some of his hit films are Mughal-e-Azam’, ‘Naya Daur’, ‘Baabul’, ‘Deedar’, ‘Madhumati’, ‘Devdas’, ‘Ganga Jamuna’, ‘Ram Aur Shyam’, ‘Karma’.
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1991, Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1994 and Padma Vibhushan in 2015.
- He has also won the Filmfare award for Best Actor 8 times.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
4. 2021 Airline of the Year awarded to Korean Air.
- Korean Air has won the Oscar in the aviation industry, “2021 Airline of the Year” award.
- The award will be presented in a ceremony to be held in Boston on 5 October 2021.
- Korean Air will be given this award for “Coping COVID-19 excellently”.
- Airline of the Year Award is given by Air Transport World (ATW). It was started in 1974.
- Air Transport World is an online and print publication that covers news related to the aviation industry.
It is a country in East Asia that shares its border with North Korea.
Currency: Korean Republic Won
President: Moon Jae-in
Prime Minister: Kim Boo-kyum
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
5. Indo-Pacific Business Summit 2021 started on 6 July.
- Indo-Pacific Business Summit 2021 has started from 6 July till 8 July.
- The summit is being organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in partnership with the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
- Indo-Pacific Business Summit 2021 is the first edition of the Indo-Pacific Business Summit.
- The summit comes in the wake of the Indo-Pacific Ocean Initiative (IPOI). PM Modi has announced IPOI during 14th East Asian Summit.
- Total 21 countries are participating in Indo-Pacific Business Summit 2021. Participating countries account for US$ 40.6 billion of GDP.
- The summit will focus on how India and the countries of Indo-Pacific region can boost their economic partnership, collaborate for sustainable use of maritime resources and future economic development.
- At least 38 countries are part of the Indo-Pacific region. Indo-Pacific region accounts for 44% of world surface area, 64% of the world population and 62% of global GDP.
Indo-Pacific Ocean Initiative (IPOI):
PM Modi launched IPOI on 04 November 2019. It is an open, non-treaty based initiative for countries to work together for cooperative and collaborative solutions to common challenges in the region.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. Environment, Forest and Climate Change Ministry and Tribal Affairs Ministry sign a joint communication to empower tribal communities.
- Environment, Forest and Climate Change Ministry and Tribal Affairs Ministry has signed a joint communication to empower tribal communities in managing forest resources.
- The joint communication is related to the more effective implementation of Forest Rights Act (FRA), 2006.
- Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar said that joint communication will empower tribal communities and help in the effective implementation of Forest Rights Act.
- He said that the tribal budget has been doubled and four lakh forest dwellers have benefitted from Van Dhan Scheme.
- Forest Rights Act (FRA), 2006 is also known as Scheduled Tribes And Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition Of Forest Rights) Act, 2006.
- It recognizes the rights of the forest dwelling tribal communities and other traditional forest dwellers to forest resources.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Art and Culture
7. Shri Prakash Javadekar inaugurates virtual India Pavilion at 74th Cannes Film Festival.
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Shri Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the virtual ‘India Pavilion, at the 74th Cannes Film Festival.
- The virtual inauguration of ‘India Pavilion’ during the 74th Cannes Film Festival, was organized by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt of India, jointly with FICCI.
- Shri Prakash Javadekar said that India has opened up a facilitation office for International film makers and all approvals will be given in one go.
- This is the second year when the pavilions are being virtually organized.
Cannes Film Festival:
This is an annual film festival held in Cannes, France, which showcases new films of all genres, including documentaries from all over the world.
It was established on 20 September 1946.
Topic: National News
8. India’s first FASTag/UPI-based cashless parking launched by DMRC at Kashmere Gate metro station.
- India’s first FASTag/UPI-based cashless parking facility was launched by DMRC at Kashmere Gate metro station.
- Dr. Mangu Singh, MD, DMRC launched India’s first FASTag/UPI-based cashless parking facility in the presence of senior officials of DMRC and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Dedicated Intermediate Public Transport (IPT) lanes for Auto, Taxi and E-Rickshaws were also inaugurated at Kashmere Gate metro station as part of Multi-Model Integration (MMI) initiative.
- Only the vehicles with FASTag will be allowed to park in the parking facility. The parking fee can also be paid by UPI apps by scanning the QR Code.
- The facility at Kashmere Gate metro station is a pilot project of DMRC. Further, DMRC is planning to set up similar systems at other stations also.
- In the second phase of MMI, a Food Court will be established and a Bus-Terminal will be constructed. Second phase of MMI is under construction.
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC):
DMRC is the largest and busiest metro rail system in India.
Its chairman is Durga Shanker Mishra. Mangu Singh is its Managing Director.
9. New venues for AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 confirmed.
- Mumbai Football Arena – Andheri Sports Complex, Mumbai, and the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex in Balewadi, Pune have been confirmed as new venues for AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022.
- The venues have been confirmed by Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and the AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 Local Organising Committee (LOC) on 06 July.
- D.Y. Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai will remain as one of the three stadiums that will stage the AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022.
- AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 is on schedule to take place from January 20 to February 6, 2022.
AFC Women’s Asian Cup is a quadrennial competition in women's football for national teams belonging to Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
10. PhonePe partners with Flipkart to digitize cash-on-delivery payments.
- PhonePe has partnered with Flipkart to digitize cash-on-delivery payments and launch a contactless ‘Scan and Pay’ feature for Flipkart’s pay-on-delivery orders.
- The partnership would reduce personal contact. With this facility, customers will scan PhonePe QR code to make contactless payments for deliveries from Flipkart.
PhonePe is a Bangalore-based Indian digital payments and financial services company. It was founded by Sameer Nigam, Rahul Chari and Burzin Engineer in 2015.
Flipkart is an e-commerce company. It is headquartered in Bangalore. Myntra and PhonePe are its subsidiaries. It was founded by Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal.
11. Minister for Road Transport and Highways & MSME Shri Nitin Gadkari becomes “Brand Ambassador” of Khadi Prakritik Paint.
- Minister for Road Transport and Highways & MSME Shri Nitin Gadkari has declared himself “Brand Ambassador” of Khadi Prakritik Paint.
- He would promote Khadi Prakritik Paint across the country to encourage young entrepreneurs to take up the manufacturing of cow dung paint.
- He virtually inaugurated the new automated manufacturing unit of Khadi Prakritik Paint, India's first and only paint made from cow dung, in Jaipur.
- The new plant has been set up on the campus of Kumarappa National Handmade Paper Institute (KNHPI), Jaipur.
- Kumarappa National Handmade Paper Institute is a unit of the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
Khadi Prakritik Paint:
Khadi Prakritik Paint was launched by Shri Gadkari on 12th January 2021.
The Paint is available in two variants- Distemper and Emulsion.
Khadi Prakritik Paint contains “AshtaLaabh”; i.e. the eight benefits like anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and natural thermal insulation properties.
This paint is eco-friendly, non-toxic, odorless and cost-effective.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
12. King Cobra sighted at Maharashtra’s Tillari conservation reserve.
- World’s longest venomous snake King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) was sighted at Maharashtra’s Tillari conservation reserve.
- Tillari was recently declared a conservation reserve. It is located in Maharashtra’s Sindhudurg district.
They are 3 to 4 m in length and weigh around 6 kg. They are cold-blooded and generally prefer warmer climates.
Forests in Western Ghats are the natural habitat of King Cobras. They are listed as vulnerable in IUCN Red List.
They feed on other snakes (both venomous and nonvenomous), lizards, eggs, and small mammals.
They are the only snakes in the world who build nests for their eggs.
They can live up to 20 years in the wild. They are found in habitats such as forests, bamboo bushes, mangroves and high-altitude grasslands. They often stay near streams.