- 1. Gujarat government roll out Vatan Prem Yojana for rural development.
- 2. India’s 1st Dugong conservation reserve to be set up in Tamil Nadu.
- 3. India to be the first Asian country to launch a Plastics Pact.
- 4. PM Modi’s approval rating at 70 % is highest among 13 global leaders.
- 5. ‘AUSINDEX’ bilateral exercise begins between Indian Navy and Australian Navy.
- 6. IREDA signed MoU with Tamil Nadu Generation & Distribution Corporation Limited for Renewable Energy projects.
- 7. International Day of Clean Air for blue skies: 7 September
- 8. Cyrus Poncha elected as vice-president of Asian Squash Federation.
- 9. China carried out its first trial run of the China-Myanmar land trade route.
- 10. Shailendra Singh wins Behler Turtle Conservation Award.
- 11. Researchers discover new species of gecko.
- 12. Max Verstappen wins Dutch Grand Prix for Red Bull.
- 13. Kerala reports a case of fatality from infection by Nipah virus in Kozhikode district.
Topic: State News/ Gujarat
1. Gujarat government roll out Vatan Prem Yojana for rural development.
- Gujarat government implemented the Vatan Prem Yojana for rural development.
- The Vatan Prem Yojana’s society is the governing body of this scheme. A project management unit has been formed for the smooth implementation of the scheme.
- Vatan Prem Yojana was launched on August 7, 2021. Governing body of the scheme has proposed works of Rs 1000 crore, which have to be completed by December 2022.
- Under this scheme, NRIs can contribute 60 percent of the cost of a village-level project, and the remaining will be borne by the state government.
- It is repackaged version of the Madar-e-Vatan scheme and it will cover village-level projects like smart classes in schools, community hall, primary health centre, Anganwadi, library, etc.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
2. India’s 1st Dugong conservation reserve to be set up in Tamil Nadu.
- The Tamil Nadu government has announced to set up India’s first conservation reserve for Dugongs in the Palk Bay on the southeast coast of Tamil Nadu.
- The dugong conservation reserve is spread over 500 sq km in Palk bay.
Topic: National News
3. India to be the first Asian country to launch a Plastics Pact.
- India to be the First Asian country to launch a Plastics Pact, The India Plastics Pact.
- It is a joint initiative between World-Wide Fund for Nature-India (WWF India) and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- The Pact targets to enable businesses to transition towards a circular economy for plastics by 2030.
- The Pact envisions a world where plastic is valued and does not pollute the environment.
- India Plastics Pact is supported by UK Research & Innovation (UKRI) and Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP), a global NGO based in the UK. WRAP also supports Plastics Pacts in Europe, the Americas, Australia and Africa.
- India generates 9.46 million tonnes of plastic waste annually. Out of this, 40 % is not collected.
- About half of all plastics produced in the country are used in packaging, most of it is single use in nature.
- Total 17 businesses have agreed for the Pact as founding members and ten have joined as supporting organisations.
- India Plastics Pact has four time-bound targets. Its targets to be achieved by 2030 are given below.
- Defining unnecessary or problematic plastic packaging and items and take measure to address them through redesign and innovation.
- 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable
- 50% of plastic packaging to be effectively recycled
- 25% average recycled content across all plastic packaging
Topic: Reports and Indices
4. PM Modi’s approval rating at 70 % is highest among 13 global leaders.
- PM Modi’s approval rating at 70 % is highest among 13 global leaders polled in the survey carried out by The Morning Consult.
- In June, PM Modi’s approval rating was 66%. His approval rating has gone up in recent two months.
- PM Modi’s approval rating was at its peak at 84% in May 2020 just after pandemic outbreak in India.
- PM Modi’s disapproval rating has also come down to around 25%, which is one of the lowest on the list. His disapproval rating was at its peak in May at the time of second wave of Covid.
- Morning Consult is a global data intelligence company. It calculates the approval and disapproval rating based on a seven-day moving average of all adults in a given country.
Topic: Defense News
5. ‘AUSINDEX’ bilateral exercise begins between Indian Navy and Australian Navy.
- The bilateral exercise ‘AUSINDEX’ between the Indian Navy and the Australian Navy commenced. It is the fourth edition of ‘AUSINDEX’.
- Sub-surface and air operations between ships, submarines, helicopters, and Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft are part of this edition of the bilateral exercise.
- It is scheduled to be organized from 6-10 September. Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt are participating in this exercise along with Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Anzac Class Frigate and HMAS Warramunga.
- The exercise will provide an opportunity for both Navies to further enhance interoperability, and to develop a common understanding of procedures for Maritime Security Operations.
- AUSINDEX: It was started in 2015 as a bilateral maritime exercise between India and Australia.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. IREDA signed MoU with Tamil Nadu Generation & Distribution Corporation Limited for Renewable Energy projects.
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. (IREDA) signed an MoU with the Tamil Nadu Generation & Distribution Corporation Limited (TANGEDCO) for providing technical expertise in developing Renewable Energy projects and fundraising.
- Under this MoU, IREDA will provide its technical expertise to TANGEDCO for Renewable Energy projects development, bid process management, and implementation support.
- IREDA will help TANGEDCO in raising funds through developing financial models and by conducting pre-market surveys.
- TANGEDCO is planning to set up a 20,000 MW Solar Power Project and a 3000 MW Pumped Storage Hydro Electric Project.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
7. International Day of Clean Air for blue skies: 7 September
- Every year 7 September is celebrated as International Day of Clean Air for blue skies.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had adopted 7 September as International Day of Clean Air for blue skies on 19 December 2019.
- The International Day of Clean Air for blue skies was first observed in 2020.
- The theme of this year’s International Day of Clean Air for blue skies is “Healthy Air, Healthy Planet”.
- This year’s celebration will be focused on climate change and sustainable development.
- Air pollution impacts human health, planetary health, and climate change.
8. Cyrus Poncha elected as vice-president of Asian Squash Federation.
- Cyrus Poncha has been elected as vice-president of the Asian Squash Federation for a four-year term. He has been elected Vice President during the ASF's 41st annual general meeting.
- Fayez Abdullah S Al-Mutairi (Kuwait) and Tae-sook Heo (Korea) are also elected as vice-presidents of the Asian Squash Federation.
- David Mui of Hong Kong was elected unopposed as the President of ASF for a second term.
- Cyrus Poncha is the third Indian to become Vice President of the Asian Squash Federation after N. Ramachandran and Debendranath Sarangi.
Topic: International News
9. China carried out its first trial run of the China-Myanmar land trade route.
- China carried out its first trial run of a new land trade route between China and Myanmar.
- A cargo of around 60 containers has been sent by road from Yangon to Chin Shwe Haw as part of trial run of the China-Myanmar land trade route.
- This new land trade route will save around 20-22 days in transit. It will connect China’s vast western region with the Indian Ocean.
- It will help China in facilitating trade with Southeast Asia, Europe, Africa, South Asia, and the Middle East.
- With this new trade land route, China could further strengthen its influence in Myanmar and Southeast Asia. Recently, a high-level Chinese official had visited Myanmar.
- Under the Belt and Road Initiative, China has built infrastructure for connecting Southeast Asia with others parts of the world.
- China is also constructing New rail links with its Southeast Asian neighbours such as Thailand and Laos.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
10. Shailendra Singh wins Behler Turtle Conservation Award.
- Shailendra Singh has won Behler Turtle Conservation Award for bringing three critically endangered turtle species back from the brink of extinction.
- Turtle Survival Alliance, IUCN/SSC Tortoise and Freshwater Turtle Specialist Group, Turtle Conservancy, and the Turtle Conservation Fund are among the international organisations that have given the prize.
- As per Turtle Survival Alliance, Dr Shailendra Singh and his team’s efforts are the last hope for survival of three turtle species. These species are given below.
- Red-crowned Roofed Turtle (Batagur kachuga)
- Northern River Terrapin (Batagur baska)
- Black Softshell Turtle (Nilssonia nigricans)
- Shailendra Singh was named to lead the Turtle Survival Alliance/ Wildlife Conservation Society India turtle programme. The programme now protects 18 of India’s 29 turtle and tortoise species.
- India has 29 species of freshwater turtles and tortoises. Northern River Terrapin (Batagur baska) is being conserved at the Sunderbans.
- The Red-crowned Roofed Turtle (Batagur kachuga) is being conserved at Chambal. The Black Softshell Turtle (Nilssonia nigricans) is being conserved at different temples in Assam.
- Behler Turtle Conservation Award was started in 2006 to recognize outstanding achievements, contributions and leadership excellence in international turtle conservation and biology.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
11. Researchers discover new species of gecko.
- Researchers from Department of Zoology Goa University and the Thackeray Wildlife Foundation, Mumbai, have discovered a new species of gecko (lizards).
- Newly discovered species is the smallest known species of Hemiphyllodactylus genus with a maximum length of 32 mm.
- The species is believed to be endemic to the biodiversity-rich Western Ghats.
- The species has been given a scientific name, Hemiphyllodactylus goaensis. It has been suggested that the species be commonly called Goan slender gecko.
- Specimens of newly discovered species were found in north Goa at Goa University campus and one in south Goa at Chandor.
- The species has small size. It is differentiated by its 16-18 dorsal scales and 13 or 14 ventral scales at middle of body.
- The new species is the first member of the genus to be described from the northern Western Ghats region as well as Goa state.
- The species is not endangered but it faces possible threats from construction and burning of vegetation.
12. Max Verstappen wins Dutch Grand Prix for Red Bull.
- Max Verstappen won Dutch Grand Prix for Red Bull and took the Formula One championship lead from Lewis Hamilton.
- He remained 20.932 seconds ahead of Mercedes’ seven-time World champion Lewis Hamilton.
- Hamilton’s Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas was third. French driver Pierre Gasly was fourth for AlphaTauri with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc fifth.
- Fernando Alonso was sixth for Renault-owned Alpine. Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz was seventh.
- Dutch Grand Prix is a Formula One motor racing event held at Circuit Zandvoort, North Holland, Netherlands.
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
13. Kerala reports a case of fatality from infection by Nipah virus in Kozhikode district.
- Kerala has reported a case of fatality from infection by Nipah virus in Kozhikode district.
- In May-June 2018, Kozhikode district reported 18 confirmed cases of Nipah virus. Out of these cases, 17 were laboratory-confirmed deaths.
- Human Nipah virus is classified as an “emerging zoonotic disease”. This means that it can be transferred to people after being incubated in other species.
- Human Nipah virus was 1st recognized in a large outbreak in Malaysia and Singapore from September 1998-1999.
- Prior to the Kerala outbreak of 2018, Several Nipah virus outbreaks were reported in Bangladesh and in India at Siliguri and Nadia district in West Bengal.