Daily Current Affairs and GK | 10 February 2022
- 1. National Deworming Day: 10 February
- 2. Zara Rutherford becomes youngest woman to fly around the world solo.
- 3. India’s ‘Writing With Fire’ nominated for Oscar in the documentary category.
- 4. Haryana Cabinet approved draft of anti-conversion Bill.
- 5. THDC India signs an agreement to set up solar projects in Rajasthan.
- 6. Kanchoth Festival celebrated in J&K.
- 7. India to assist Sri Lanka in launching its own version of Aadhaar.
- 8. White-cheeked Macaque discovered in Arunachal Pradesh.
- 9. NITI Aayog announced five most improved aspirational districts in agriculture and water resources sector.
- 10. Atal Tunnel gets World's Longest Highway Tunnel certificate from Guinness World Book of Records.
- 11. US approves 100 million dollar weapons deal with Taiwan.
- 12. Government to develop ropeways in hilly areas under National Ropeways Development Programme – “Parvatmala”.
- 13. Mahabharat's Bheem, actor Praveen Kumar Sobti passed away.
- 14. Dr. Unnikrishnan Nair appointed as director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
Topic: Important Days
1. National Deworming Day: 10 February
- National Deworming Day is observed every year on 10 February.
- It is observed to raise awareness about the importance of deworming all preschool and school-age children between the ages of 1-19 years.
- National Deworming Day was launched by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in 2015.
- The main aim of National Deworming Day is to raise awareness on intestinal worms and to attain complete eradication of Soil-Transmitted Helminths in children.
- Around 24% of the world's population is infected with soil-transmitted helminths (worms).
- Intestinal worms are found in the gastrointestinal tract and they damage the body.
- Regularly washing hands with soap and hot water before and after using the toilet can prevent intestinal worms.
Topic: Personality in News
2. Zara Rutherford becomes youngest woman to fly around the world solo.
- Zara Rutherford, a Belgian-British pilot, has become the youngest woman to fly solo around the world.
- She achieved this feat at the age of 19. She stopped in 30 countries.
- She completed her 51,000 km journey in 155 days.
- She landed at Kortrijk Wevelgem International Airport in Belgium.
- Previously, the youngest woman to fly solo around the world was Shaesta Waiz.
3. India’s ‘Writing With Fire’ nominated for Oscar in the documentary category.
- Indian documentary ‘Writing with Fire’ has been nominated for Oscar in the Best Documentary Feature category.
- It was directed and produced by Rintu Thomas and Sushmit Ghosh.
- It is the only Indian film to get nominated at the 2022 Oscars.
- The documentary depicts the journey of the team of 'Khabar Lahariya' from newspaper to digital media.
- ‘Writing with Fire’ has won more than 20 international awards including Audience Award and a Special Jury Award at the Sundance Film Festival in 2021.
- The 94th Academy Awards is scheduled to take place on March 27, 2022, in Los Angeles. No Indian film has ever won an Oscar.
Topic: State News/ Haryana
4. Haryana Cabinet approved draft of anti-conversion Bill.
- The Haryana Cabinet has approved the draft of the Haryana Prevention of Unlawful Conversion of Religious Bill, 2022.
- Its main objective is to prohibit religious conversion through misrepresentation, force, undue influence, coercion, allurement, by marriage.
- The bill has the provision of stricter punishment for conversion of minors, women, Scheduled Castes, and the Scheduled Tribes.
- It puts the onus on the accused to prove that conversion was not done through misrepresentation, use of coercion, and false marriage.
- Every individual converting from one religion to another has to submit a declaration to the prescribed authority.
- Apart from this, it has provisions to declare void and illegal marriages which are performed by hiding religion.
- According to Indian Constitution, “State has no religion, all religions are equal, and no religion shall be given preference over the other”.
5. THDC India signs an agreement to set up solar projects in Rajasthan.
- State-owned THDC India Ltd (THDCIL) signed the letter of intent (LoI) to set up 10,000-megawatt (MW) solar power projects in Rajasthan.
- These solar projects will be established with an investment of Rs 40,000 crore in Rajasthan.
- The land will be allocated by the Government of Rajasthan through RRECL.
- The renewable energy park will be set up through a special purpose vehicle.
- The investment by THDC India Ltd is expected to create 10,000 direct and indirect employment opportunities.
- The mega ventures by THDCIL and RRECL will promote socio-economic development in the region.
- This agreement will help in achieving the RE capacity addition target of 500 gigawatts (GW) by 2030.
- THDC India Limited:
- THDC India Limited is a leading Power Sector company. It was established in 1988.
- THDC India Limited is a Mini Ratna Category-I Enterprise of India.
- It operates and maintains the Tehri Hydro Power Complex and other Hydro Projects.
Topic: Art and Culture
6. Kanchoth Festival celebrated in J&K.
- People in Bhaderwah (Jammu and Kashmir) celebrated the Kanchoth festival, a symbol of Nag culture.
- This festival is celebrated during the Shukla Paksha of Magha month which usually falls in January or February.
- Hindu Nag followers commemorate this ancient festival.
- The three-day festival is celebrated by married women who pray for the long life of their husbands.
Topic: India and its Neighbourhood
7. India to assist Sri Lanka in launching its own version of Aadhaar.
- India has agreed to provide a grant to Sri Lanka to implement a ‘Unitary Digital Identity framework’, modeled on the Aadhaar card.
- The implementation of the framework as a national-level program will be a "priority" for the Rajapaksa government.
- It is expected to introduce a personal identification verification device based on biometric data under the proposed framework.
- The initiative started after bilateral talks between President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Prime Minister Narendra Modi in December 2019.
- Sri Lanka:
- It is an island country in South Asia.
- Its executive and judicial capital is Colombo, and its legislative capital is Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte.
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa is the current President of Sri Lanka.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
8. White-cheeked Macaque discovered in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Scientists have discovered the presence of the White-Cheeked Macaque (Macaca leucogenys) in central Arunachal Pradesh, India.
- The species was found in 2015 by a group of Chinese scientists from the Modog region in the southeastern part of Tibet.
- White-cheeked Macaques are different from other macaques in the area because they have white cheeks, and long and thick hairs on their neck, and a longer tail.
- The White-Cheeked Macaques were discovered by scientists from the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), led by Mukesh Thakur.
Topic: National News
9. NITI Aayog announced five most improved aspirational districts in agriculture and water resources sector.
- NITI Aayog has announced the five most improved aspirational districts in the Agriculture and Water Resources sector for December 2021.
- Malkangiri district of Odisha has topped the list, followed by Chhatarpur of Madhya Pradesh and Baramulla of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Ramgarh district of Jharkhand and Begusarai district of Bihar also got a place in the list.
- This list of districts is based on the NITI Aayog’s Delta Rankings.
- Aspirational Districts Programme:
- Aspirational Districts Programme was launched in 2018 for the development of under-developed districts across the country.
- It focuses on the strength of each district and identifies sectors for immediate improvement.
- NITI Aayog releases a ranking of districts every month.
- The ranking is based on the 5 broad socio-economic themes - Health & Nutrition, Education, Agriculture & Water Resources, Financial Inclusion & Skill Development, and Infrastructure.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
10. Atal Tunnel gets World's Longest Highway Tunnel certificate from Guinness World Book of Records.
- The Guinness World Book of Records has officially certified Atal Tunnel as the World's Longest Highway Tunnel above 10,000 feet.
- Atal Tunnel is constructed by Border Roads Organisation (BRO). It connects Manali to the Lahaul - Spiti Valley.
- Atal Tunnel is a 9.02 kilometers long tunnel constructed on the Manali - Leh Highway. It has reduced the road distance between Manali and Leh by 46 km.
- It was dedicated to the Nation by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3rd October 2020.
- World Book of Records is an organization that catalogues and verifies extraordinary records across the world with certification.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
11. US approves 100 million dollar weapons deal with Taiwan.
- The United States has approved a 100-million-dollar deal to strengthen the missile defense system of Taiwan.
- The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said that this deal will help in upgrading the Patriot Air Defense System. It would help in strengthening the security of Taiwan.
- It will help in maintaining political stability, military balance, and progress in the region. The deal is expected to come into effect within one month.
- Earlier, China had imposed sanctions on Lockheed Martin and other U.S. companies to sell weapons to Taiwan.
- It is located in the East China Sea. It was formerly known as Formosa.
- It shares its maritime border with China, Japan, and Philippines.
- Its capital is Taipei and its largest city is New Taipei city.
- The political status of Taiwan is contentious.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
12. Government to develop ropeways in hilly areas under National Ropeways Development Programme – “Parvatmala”.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways will build ropeways for hilly areas as an alternate and efficient means of connectivity.
- The National Ropeways Development Programme – “Parvatmala” has been announced in the Union Budget for 2022-23.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways will be in charge of the construction of ropeways in hilly areas as well as research, and policy development in this area.
- Transport Ministry will also formulate an institutional, financial, and regulatory framework for the technology of ropeways.
- “Parvatmala” programme will be implemented in the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model.
- Government will give the contract for 8 ropeway projects for a length of 60 km in 2022-23.
- This scheme will be started first in Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Manipur, Jammu & Kashmir and the other North-Eastern states.
- Benefits of Ropeway:
- It is an environmentally friendly mode of transportation.
- It is one of the faster modes of transportation.
- It is an economical mode of transportation.
- It will provide last-mile connectivity in hilly areas.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Personality in News
13. Mahabharat's Bheem, actor Praveen Kumar Sobti passed away.
- Actor and athlete Praveen Kumar Sobti died due to cardiac arrest at an age of 74.
- He was famous for playing the role of Bheem in the TV series "Mahabharat".
- He represented India in various athletic events in hammer and discus throw.
- He won gold medals in the discus throw at the 1966 and 1970 Asian Games.
- He had won a silver medal in Hammer Throw at the 1966 Commonwealth Games.
(Source: News on AIR)
14. Dr. Unnikrishnan Nair appointed as director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
- Dr. S Unnikrishnan Nair, a scientist and launch vehicle expert, has been appointed as director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
- He has taken the place of S Somanath, who has taken the charge as Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- He is currently serving as the Director of the Human Space Flight Centre. He will also continue to hold this post also.
- He joined VSSC in 1985 and worked in various different positions including project director, Human Space Flight Project, programme director of Advanced Space Transportation System.
- He has won many awards including ISRO team excellence award for contributions to the space capsule re-entry experiment in 2007, and ISRO individual merit award in 2014.
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre:
- It is one of the most important research centre of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- It is responsible for the design and development of launch vehicle technology.
- It is located in Thiruvananthapuram.
- It is named after Dr. Vikram Sarabhai, the father of Indian space program.