- 1. RailTel launched the PM-WANI scheme for providing Wi-Fi services across 100 Railway stations.
- 2. A new UK India Industry Taskforce has been launched to increase collaboration between India and the United Kingdom.
- 3. Balkrishna Doshi conferred with Royal Gold Medal 2022.
- 4. Reliance becomes first Indian company to cross revenue of USD 100 billion in a year.
- 5. Annual conference of chief commissioners of Customs & CGST held at Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu.
- 6. PM Modi addressed Utkarsh Samaroh in Bharuch, Gujarat on 12 May 2022.
- 7. Union Minister for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises Narayan Rane inaugurated first Centre of Excellence for Khadi (CoEK) in New Delhi.
- 8. International Nurses Day: 12 May
- 9. 10th session of India-Oman Joint Commission meeting held in New Delhi.
- 10. India elected as Chair of Association of Asian Election Authorities for 2022-2024.
- 11. Manghar village to become the first 'Village of Honey'.
- 12. Army Chief Gen. Manoj Pande honoured with Param Vishisht Seva Medal.
- 13. Oil Marketing Companies sign purchase agreement for upcoming ethanol plants.
Success September offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code SEP25
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
1. RailTel launched the PM-WANI scheme for providing Wi-Fi services across 100 Railway stations.
- RailTel launched the Prime Minister Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM-WANI) scheme for providing fast & free public WiFi services across 100 Indian Railways stations.
- PM-WANI is an ambitious initiative of the Department of Telecom. It would be in addition to the existing method for using WiFi at railway stations.
- To access this WiFi network, people have to use android based mobile application ‘Wi-DOT’. This mobile application has been developed in association with C-DOT.
- These railway stations are located in 22 states and out of 100 stations, 71 are of the A1 category while 29 are of other categories.
- The WiFi network of RailTel is now available across 6102 railway stations.
- RailTel is a "Mini Ratna (Category-I)" Central Public Sector Enterprise founded in the year 2000.
Topic: Committees/ Commissions/Taskforces
2. A new UK India Industry Taskforce has been launched to increase collaboration between India and the United Kingdom.
UK India Industry Taskforce is a joint commission to give a push to the UK-India Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
- It has been formed by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) as part of a memorandum of understanding.
- The joint commission has been designed to reduce the barriers for market access and to support firms in exporting products.
- The collaboration between CII and CBI will cover joint efforts in different fields such as advancing technology, digitalization, climate change and sustainability, and multilateral collaboration.
- The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) said that reducing tariffs on green exports will open new opportunities for companies in India.
- UK-India Free Trade Agreement will nearly double UK exports to India.
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII):
- It was established in 1895 as a non-governmental trade association.
- CII National Council is the governing body of the Confederation of Indian Industry.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. Balkrishna Doshi conferred with Royal Gold Medal 2022.
- Balkrishna Doshi is the only Indian to win both the Royal Gold Medal and the Pritzker Architecture Prize.
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) president Simon Allford presented the award to Balkrishna Doshi in Ahmedabad.
- Balkrishna Doshi had worked with Louis Kahn as an associate to build the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad.
- Balkrishna Doshi founded his own practice, Vastushilpa, in 1956 with two architects.
- Royal Gold Medal award:
- It is the world’s highest award given in the field of architecture.
- It is given by the Royal Institute of British Architects.
- It was first awarded in 1848 to Charles Robert Cockerell.
4. Reliance becomes first Indian company to cross revenue of USD 100 billion in a year.
- The net profit of Reliance has increased to ₹ 16,203 crores in the quarter ended March 31, 2022.
- Reliance’s profit has increased due rise in broadband subscribers, and new energy investments are giving profits.
- Consolidated revenue of Reliance has risen by 35 per cent year-on-year to ₹2.32 lakh crore.
- Reliance has invested more than USD 1 billion in acquiring assets and building capabilities of Reliance Retail.
5. Annual conference of chief commissioners of Customs & CGST held at Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu.
- The two day conference was named SANKALP. The conference was held to discuss key challenges facing the Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC).
- In his inaugural address, Revenue Secretary Tarun Bajaj complimented all the officers of CBIC.
- Vivek Johri, Chairman, CBIC, highlighted the achievements of CBIC during the year 2021-22.
- During the conference, following subjects were discussed.
- Compliance management strategy
- Lessons from the national time release study
- Introduction of a performance management system
- Litigation management
Topic: State News/Gujarat
6. PM Modi addressed Utkarsh Samaroh in Bharuch, Gujarat on 12 May 2022.
- The programme marked the celebration of 100% saturation of four key schemes of the State Government in the district.
- Utkarsh Initiative drive was carried out by the District Administration of Bharuch from 1 January 2022 to 31 March 2022 to ensure complete coverage of the four schemes given below.
- Ganga Swaroopa Aarthik Sahay Yojana
- Indira Gandhi Vrudh Sahay Yojana
- Niradhar Vrudh Aarthik Sahay Yojana
- Rashtriya Kutumb Sahay Yojana
- During the drive, information about those who were not receiving benefits of the schemes was collected through Whatsapp helpline numbers.
- The District Administration organized Utkarsh camps in all villages and wards of municipality areas of the district.
Topic: National News
7. Union Minister for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises Narayan Rane inaugurated first Centre of Excellence for Khadi (CoEK) in New Delhi.
- The minister inaugurated CoEK hub in New Delhi and its spokes in Gandhinagar, Shillong, Kolkata and Bengaluru.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission has partnered with National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) to establish CoEK.
- MoU for establishment of CoEK was signed between KVIC and NIFT last year. The CoEK will develop a knowledge portal for Khadi.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
8. International Nurses Day: 12 May
- Every year, May 12 is observed as an International Nurses Day around the world.
- It is observed to mark the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale. She is considered as the founder of Modern Nursing.
- The International Council of Nurses declared 12 May as International Nurses day in 1974.
- On this occasion, the International Council of Nurses distributes kits to Nurses.
- This year, the theme for International Nurses Day is “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Invest in Nursing and respect rights to secure global health”.
- Florence Nightingale was a British nurse and social reformer who dedicated her life to the improvement of the health sector.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
9. 10th session of India-Oman Joint Commission meeting held in New Delhi.
- The India-Oman Joint Commission Meeting has been co-chaired by Piyush Goyal and the Sultanate of Oman Qais bin Mohammed al Yousef.
- The 48 member delegation of Oman led by Qais bin Mohammed al Yousef is visiting India.
- Bilateral trade between both countries has increased from US$ 5.4 billion in 2020-21 to US$ 9.94 billion during 2021-2022
- Significant Outcomes of the 10th India-Oman JCM:
- Both sides agreed on the Fast-tracking of approvals for the registration of Indian pharmaceutical products already registered by USFDA, UKMHRA and EMA.
- Both sides agreed to facilitate trade and address issues related to Tariff/Non-Tariff Barriers.
- Both sides discussed signing the MoU/ agreement on different fields including the India-Oman Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement, India-Oman Bilateral Investment Treaty, Invest Oman and Invest India treaty, etc.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
10. India elected as Chair of Association of Asian Election Authorities for 2022-2024.
- During the recently held meeting of the Executive Board and General Assembly in Manila, India has been elected as the new Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities (AAEA) for 2022-2024.
- The Election Commission of India's three-member delegation headed by Deputy Election Commissioner Nitesh Vyas attend the meeting.
- ECI has earlier served on the Executive Board of the AAEA as the Vice-Chair during 2011-13 and Chair during 2014-16.
- Association of Asian Election Authorities:
- It was established in 1998.
- The main objective of the Association of Asian Election Authorities is to create a forum for sharing experiences and best practices among election authorities.
- It will help in promoting open and transparent elections, which will support the objective of good governance and democracy.
- AAEA is also an Associate Member of the 118 member Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB).
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
11. Manghar village to become the first 'Village of Honey'.
- On 16th May, Manghar (मांघर), a village in Maharashtra’s Mahabaleshwar will become the first 'Village of Honey'.
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission will implement the Village of Honey scheme as part of the Project Honeybee.
- It will help in creating job opportunities in the rural economy.
- Out of 100 families in Manghar village, 80 are engaged in the business of beekeeping.
- The objective of the scheme is to produce high-quality honey and to set up a hospital and laboratory for honeybees.
- Under the “Village of Honey” initiative, the government will take necessary steps to increase the number of honeybees in the region.
- The Village of Honey will give permanent employment to people living in forest and mountainous terrain.
12. Army Chief Gen. Manoj Pande honoured with Param Vishisht Seva Medal.
- Army Chief Gen Manoj Pande received Param Vishisht Seva Medal from President Ram Nath Kovind for his exceptional service.
- The President also conferred 14 Param Vishisht Seva Medal, four Uttam Yudh Seva Medals and 24 Ati Vishisht Seva Medals.
- President also conferred 13 Shaurya Chakras, including six posthumously.
- Gen. Manoj Pande has become the 29th Chief of the Army Staff on 30th April.
- The Param Vishisht Seva Medal was instituted by the President of India on 26 January 1960 to recognise distinguished service rendered by personnel of the Armed Forces.
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
13. Oil Marketing Companies sign purchase agreement for upcoming ethanol plants.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Indian Oil Corporation Limited and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited have signed a purchase agreement for upcoming ethanol plants.
- A tripartite agreement has been signed among Oil Marketing Companies and Banks of the respective Ethanol Plant Projects.
- State Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank and Indian Bank signed this agreement with Oil Marketing Companies.
- According to the agreement, ethanol produced by these dedicated ethanol plants will be sold to Oil Marketing Companies. They will mix it with petrol as per the government's ethanol-blended petrol programme.
- During the year 2021-22, India has achieved the target of 9.19% of ethanol blending.