- 1. Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan becomes new President of UAE.
- 2. Australian Cricketer Andrew Symonds died in a car accident.
- 3. Scientists have for the first time successfully grown plants in lunar soil.
- 4. Sikkim Statehood Day: 16 May
- 5. Manik Saha sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Tripura.
- 6. National Cyber Forensic Laboratory inaugurated at the CFSL campus in Hyderabad.
- 7. Indian Men's Badminton team has won Thomas Cup for the first time ever.
- 8. Liverpool Football Club defeated Chelsea Football Club and won FA Cup title.
- 9. Government banned export of wheat after new output estimate.
- 10. Department of Telecommunication launched the “GatiShakti Sanchar” Portal.
- 11. National Aerospace Laboratories approved Digital anti-skid brake management system developed for SARAS Mark 2.
- 12. Chhattisgarh becomes first state to restore old pension scheme.
- 13. International day of families: 15 May
- 14. CPI-based retail inflation reached eight-year high level of 7.79% in April 2022.
Gurunank Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code GURUNANAK
Topic: International Appointments
1. Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan becomes new President of UAE.
- Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has been elected the President of the UAE in place of Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan died recently at age of 73.
- He was unanimously chosen as President by a council of the rulers of the seven emirates.
- Sheikh Mohammed has been ruling the Emirates since 2014.
- Sheikh Mohamed is the third son of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahayan. He was named crown prince of Abu Dhabi in 2004.
- United Arab Emirates:
- It is located in Western Asia at the northeast end of the Arabian Peninsula.
- Abu Dhabi is the capital and UAE Dirham is the currency of UAE.
- Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is the Prime Minister of UAE.
Topic: Personality in News
2. Australian Cricketer Andrew Symonds died in a car accident.
- He was a two-time World Cup winner for Australia.
- He played 198 ODIs. He scored six centuries and 30 half-centuries.
- He was the third former Australian cricketer who passed away in 2022.
- Leg-spinner Shane Warne and wicketkeeper Rod Marsh also passed away in 2022.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Space and IT
3. Scientists have for the first time successfully grown plants in lunar soil.
- This soil was brought to Earth by astronauts in the Apollo Missions.
- This is the first step toward growing food and creating oxygen on the Moon and during future space missions.
- The researchers at the University of Florida in the US have grown the plants in lunar soil.
- The researchers also planted Arabidopsis in JSC-1A, a terrestrial substance that mimics real lunar soil.
- Moon's soil is also called lunar regolith. It is very different from soil found on Earth.
- Apollo program:
- Apollo program or Project Apollo was third US human spaceflight program.
- It was conducted by NASA from 1968 to 1972. Apollo 11 for the first time landed humans on the Moon in 1969.
Topic: Important Days
4. Sikkim Statehood Day: 16 May
- Sikkim Statehood Day is observed on 16 May. Sikkim became 22nd state of India on 16 May, 1975.
- 16 May 2022 marks 47 years since Sikkim became a state of India.
- Sikkim became 22nd state of India through 36th Amendment Act in 1975.
- Sikkim was for the sometime having a status of protectorate state within Union of India as per the treaty signed between Sikkim and Union of India in 1950.
- It is a state in northeast India. It borders Bhutan in the east, Tibet in the north and northeast, West Bengal in the south and Nepal in the west.
- It is the second smallest state of India in terms of area. Its capital is Gangtok.
- The Chief Minister of the state is Prem Singh Tamang and Governor is Ganga Prasad.
- The state animal of Sikkim is the Red Panda. Khangchendzonga National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site is located in Sikkim.
Topic: State News/ Tripura
5. Manik Saha sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Tripura.
- Dr. Manik Saha, a Rajya Sabha MP from BJP, has sworn in as Tripura's new Chief Minister a day after his predecessor Biplab Kumar Deb resigned.
- Governor Satyadeo Narain Arya administered the oath of secrecy to Dr. Saha.
- 11 councils of Ministers were sworn-in in his cabinet.
- Biplab Kumar Deb was the first BJP Chief Minister of Tripura.
- Chief Minister:
- Chief Minister is the elected head of the government of a state.
- Article 164 states that the Chief Minister shall be appointed by the Governor and the other ministers shall be appointed on the advice of the Chief Minister.
- He advises the Governor regarding the appointment of other Ministers and decides the portfolios for them.
Topic: State News / Telangana
6. National Cyber Forensic Laboratory inaugurated at the CFSL campus in Hyderabad.
- The 'National Cyber Forensic Laboratory' (NCFL) has been inaugurated at the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) campus in Hyderabad by Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
- In Telangana's Thukkuguda municipality in the Tukkuguda area, the Home Minister addressed "Praja Sangram Yatra" (Phase-2).
- On the occasion of Dr. BR Ambedkar Jayanti, the second part of the Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) 'Praja Sangrama Yatra' began in April 2022.
- The first phase of the Yatra was conducted for 36 days in August 2021 covering 19 assembly constituencies in eight districts.
- Central Forensic Science Laboratory, Hyderabad was established in 1967 and it is one of the six Central Forensic Science Laboratories in India.
7. Indian Men's Badminton team has won Thomas Cup for the first time ever.
- It has defeated 14 time Champions Indonesia in Bangkok on 15 May 2022.
- India had never reached the Thomas and Uber Cup final before now.
- It has become 6th nation to win the Thomas Cup title after China, Indonesia, Japan, Denmark, and Malaysia.
Denmark and Japan
- Thomas Cup (World Men's Team Championships):
- It is an international badminton competition. It is currently held every two years.
- It was first held in 1949 in Preston, England. The 2022 edition of Thomas Cup was 32nd edition of the Thomas Cup.
- It was hosted in Bangkok, Thailand from 8 to 15 May 2022.
(Source: News on AIR)
8. Liverpool Football Club defeated Chelsea Football Club and won FA Cup title.
- Liverpool Football Club has won the English FA Cup for the eighth time.
- Liverpool won by 6-5 in a penalty shootout at the Wembley stadium, London.
- Liverpool is now the most successful club in the world.
- The Football Association Challenge Cup is commonly known as the FA Cup. It is an annual knockout football competition in men's domestic English football.
Topic: Agriculture and allied sectors
9. Government banned export of wheat after new output estimate.
- The government has banned the export of wheat with immediate effect.
- The heatwave in northern parts of the country has curtailed the output of wheat.
- The Directorate General of Foreign Trade said that the step has been taken in the interest of national food security.
- As per the government notification, the government will allow only those export shipments for which letters of credit have been issued before the notification.
- In April, Wheat prices have risen to record levels. India’s consumer inflation has reached an eight-year high of 7.79% in April 2022.
- India is the world’s second-largest wheat producer and it has 10 percent of the world’s grain reserves.
- Russia and Ukraine are two of the world’s biggest wheat suppliers. The war has interrupted wheat production.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
10. Department of Telecommunication launched the “GatiShakti Sanchar” Portal.
- “GatiShakti Sanchar” Portal has been launched to streamline the process of Right of Way (RoW) applications and permissions.
- This portal has been launched to achieve the “Broadband for All” goal envisaged in the National Digital Communication Policy-2.
- The Portal will help in achieving the objective of “Ease of doing business” for telecommunications infrastructure works.
- Applicants from various Telecom Service providers (TSPs) and Infrastructure providers (IPs) can now apply for Right of Way (RoW) through this single platform.
- Timely disposal of RoW applications will enable quick infrastructure creation which will also help in the timely launch of 5G networks.
- The portal has been developed by MP State Electronics Development Corporation.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: New Development
11. National Aerospace Laboratories approved Digital anti-skid brake management system developed for SARAS Mark 2.
- National Aerospace Laboratories has developed wire electro-hydraulic braking system for the first time in India for civil aircraft.
- The trials of the anti-skid brake system were conducted at a speed of about 30 knots.
- Digital Anti-Skid Braking System integration on SARAS Mark 2 will help in the operation of aircraft with short runways.
- SARAS Mark 2 is a 19 seater Light Transport aircraft. It is developed by National Aerospace Laboratories.
- It is the most versatile aircraft of its class for connecting remotely located Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities.
- The government approved the SARAS-Mk2-19 seat Light Transport project to NAL in June 2019.
- Indian Air Force has already announced that it will induct 15 SARAS Mk 2 aircraft.
- The first flight of SARAS Mk 2 is scheduled to take place in December 2024.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Chhattisgarh
12. Chhattisgarh becomes first state to restore old pension scheme.
- Chhattisgarh has become the first state to notify the restoration of the old pension scheme (OPS).
- The Chhattisgarh government has sent a detailed proposal to Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA).
- The Old pension scheme will be effective from April 1, 2022.
- The 10% monthly contribution deduction from government employees' salaries as a contribution to the new pension scheme will be abolished from April 1, 2022.
- However, a minimum of 12 per cent of the basic salary will be deducted as per the General Provident Fund rule.
- The old pension scheme provided a pension equal to 50% of the employee's salary.
- National Pension System (NPS), was introduced for Central Government employees in 2003.
Topic: Important Days
13. International day of families: 15 May
- The International Day of Families is observed every year on 15 May.
- It is observed to raise awareness about the issues related to families.
- In 1993, UNGA (United Nations General Assembly) adopted 15 May as the International day of families.
- “Families and Urbanization” is the theme of this year’s International day of families.
- "Families and New Technologies" was the theme of International day of families in 2021.
Topic: Indian Economy/Financial Market
14. CPI-based retail inflation reached eight-year high level of 7.79% in April 2022.
- This is eight-year high level of retail inflation since May 2014. In May 2014, the retail inflation rate reached 8.33%.
- Inflation in oils and fats (edible oil), vegetable, spices, footwear and fuel and light reached to double-digit level in April.
- In April 2022, the gross GST collections were recorded at all-time high level of ₹1.68-lakh crore.
- Direct taxes collection also showed a growth of 49% in FY22.
- CPI-based retail inflation for rural areas is higher than for urban areas for four continuous months.
- In April 2022, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana and Haryana recording double-digit rural retail inflation.
- In Karnataka, Kerala, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh and Delhi, urban inflation is higher than rural inflation.