Daily Current Affairs and GK | 20 January 2022
- 1. Parliament of Indonesia passed a law to relocate the capital to Borneo.
- 2. World's oldest man died at the age of 112.
- 3. Insurance Institute of India and the IFSCA have signed an MoU.
- 4. Dileep Sanghani chosen as the new chairman of IFFCO.
- 5. Roberta Metsola becomes new President of European Parliament.
- 6. National Commission for Safai Karamcharis' tenure has been extended by Cabinet.
- 7. SEBI launched Saa₹thi mobile app for investor education.
- 8. HAL signs contract with Government of Mauritius for export of one ALH Mk III.
- 9. 11 cities selected as winners of Streets for People Challenge.
- 10. Government approved ex-gratia payment of Rs 973.74 crores for moratorium during Covid-19.
- 11. PM Narendra Modi to host the first meeting of the India-Central Asia Summit on 27 January.
- 12. Robert Lewandowski wins FIFA ‘Best Men's Player award’.
- 13. IMD launched India’s first weather hazard and vulnerability atlas.
- 14. Chandrachur Ghose authored biography of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
Topic: International News
1. Parliament of Indonesia passed a law to relocate the capital to Borneo.
- Indonesia's Parliament has approved a bill to relocate Indonesia's capital from Jakarta to Kalimantan on Borneo islands.
- This law will provide a legal framework for the $32 billion megaproject for the new capital.
- The capital will be called "Nusantara", a Javanese name for the Indonesian archipelago.
- Jakarta, the current capital of Indonesia, is facing the issues of congestion, floods, and air pollution.
- The new capital will be spread over 256,142 hectares (632,940 acres) of land and will be built with an estimated cost of 466 trillion rupiah.
- According to experts, the entire North Jakarta area will submerge by 2050.
- The relocation of capital is part of Indonesia’s Vision 2045 for more inclusive and equitable economic growth.
- It is a country located in Southeast Asia and Oceania between the Indian and Pacific oceans.
- It has more than seventeen thousand islands, including Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi and New Guinea.
- Joko Widodo is the current President of Indonesia.
- Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia.
Topic: Personality in News
2. World's oldest man died at the age of 112.
- The world's oldest man, Spaniard Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, died at the age of 112 years and 341 days.
- Guinness World Records named De la Fuente as the world's oldest man in September 2021.
- He was born in the Puente Castro on 11 February 1909.
- He was a cobbler and started working in a shoe factory at age 13.
- He was affectionately known as “El pepino” during his lifetime.
- Kane Tanaka is the current oldest living woman in the world.
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
3. Insurance Institute of India and the IFSCA have signed an MoU.
- The International Financial Services Centers Authority (IFSCA) and the Insurance Institute of India (III) have signed an MoU with the goal of increasing the capability of professionals in the insurance industry in International Financial Services Centres (IFSCs).
- According to the agreement, the Insurance Institute of India (III) will conduct a study to modify the academic curriculum.
- To deepen insurance business activity in the IFSCA, the Insurance Institute of India will seek to meet the medium-and long-term capacity development needs of professionals.
- Insurance Institute of India would jointly conduct seminars/ workshops with IFSCA for the insurance industry.
- Insurance Institute of India (III):
- The Insurance Institute of India is responsible for developing and updating curriculums as well as providing training to professionals in the insurance sector in India and overseas.
- The institute's certification is recognised by the insurance business, regulators, and other globally renowned insurance education providers.
- Additionally, the Institute is a member of the Institute of Global Insurance Education (IGIE).
- It was established in 1955 in Mumbai.
4. Dileep Sanghani chosen as the new chairman of IFFCO.
- Dileep Sanghani has been appointed as the chairman of the Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO).
- Due to the death of incumbent Chairman Balvinder Singh Nakai on October 11, 2021, elections were conducted.
- Dileep Sanghani was unanimously chosen as the 17th chairman of IFFCO by the elected board of directors.
- Dileep Sanghani is the chairman of the Gujarat State Cooperative Marketing Federation Ltd. (GUJCOMASOL).
- Sanghani was elected as President of the National Cooperative Union of India (NCUI), the country's apex cooperative body, in 2021.
- Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO):
- It is a multi-state cooperative society. It is engaged in the business of manufacturing and marketing fertilizers.
- It has introduced Nano-urea in liquid form in the country.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi. It was founded on November 3, 1967.
Topic: International News
5. Roberta Metsola becomes new President of European Parliament.
- EU lawmakers have selected Roberta Metsola, a center-right Maltese legislator, as the third woman to lead the European Parliament.
- She has taken place of the speaker, David Sassoli, who suddenly died last week.
- Metsola, a member of the European People's Party, won an overwhelming majority with 458 votes.
- European Parliament:
- The European Parliament is one of the European Union's seven institutions and one of its three legislative branches.
- After the Indian Parliament, it represents the world's second-largest democratic electorate.
- The Parliament has 705 members (MEPs).
- It was founded on September 10, 1952.
Topic: National News
6. National Commission for Safai Karamcharis' tenure has been extended by Cabinet.
- The Union Cabinet presided over by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the term extension of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK).
- The tenure of NCSK has been extended for a period of three years beyond 31.3.2022.
- The Safai Karamcharis and identified manual scavengers throughout the nation are the main beneficiaries of this commission.
- According to government stats, there were 58,098 manual scavengers identified in the nation till December 31, 2021.
- NCSK (National Commission for Safai Karamcharis):
- The National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK) was established as a statutory body on August 12, 1994, by an act of Parliament.
- Later on, the validity of the Act was initially extended till 31.03.2002 and thereafter till 29.22.2004.
- The "National Commission for Safai Karamcharis Act, 1993" expired on February 29, 2004, and since then, the Commission has been operating as a non-statutory entity of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- The tenure of the Commission is extended from time to time through government resolutions.
7. SEBI launched Saa₹thi mobile app for investor education.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has launched Saa₹thi mobile app for investor education.
- The app will be helpful in increasing access to recent market developments. It aims to empower investors with accurate knowledge about the securities market.
- The App also aims to create awareness among the investors about the basic concepts of Securities Market, KYC Process, trading and settlement, mutual funds, etc.
- The app is currently available in Hindi and English.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
- SEBI was set up in 1988 and given statutory status in 1992. Its headquarters is located in Mumbai.
- It is a regulator of the securities market in India and aims to protect the interests of investors in securities.
- Ajay Tyagi is the current chairman of SEBI.
8. HAL signs contract with Government of Mauritius for export of one ALH Mk III.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) signed a contract with the Government of Mauritius for the export of one Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH Mk III) for Mauritius Police Force.
- The Government of Mauritius already operates HAL-built Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) and Do-228 aircraft.
- The ALH Mk III is a multi-role, multi-mission versatile helicopter in 5.5 tonne category.
- Indian Air Force and Indian Naval Air Arm initiated Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) program for an indigenous 5-tonne multirole helicopter in 1979.
- In 1984, the Indian government gave HAL a contract to build the helicopter.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):
- It was formed on 1 October 1964. It works under the Ministry of Defence.
- It is a government owned corporation involved in the design, fabrication and assembly of aircraft, jet engines, and helicopters.
- Its headquarters is located in Bangalore.
Topic: National News
9. 11 cities selected as winners of Streets for People Challenge.
- Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has selected 11 cities as winners of the Streets for People Challenge.
- Bengaluru, Gurugram, Aurangabad, Kochi, Kohima, Nagpur, Pimpri Chinchwad, Pune, Udaipur, Ujjain, and Vijayawada are the winners of this challenge.
- These cities have been selected for their pilot projects to make roads more pedestrian-friendly.
- Bengaluru has been selected for creating public spaces in the residential area with the help of resident welfare association.
- Gurugram has been selected for pedestrianizing markets and school zones.
- Under this challenge, each winner will be awarded Rs 50 lakh for the next phase scale-up.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has also announced 10 winners of the ‘Nurturing Neighbourhoods Challenge’.
- ‘Nurturing Neighbourhoods Challenge’ was started in November 2020 and included 70 pilot projects by 25 cities.
- This is a 3-year initiative aimed at supporting early childhood-friendly neighbourhoods under the government’s Smart Cities Mission.
- Under this challenge, Indore has been selected for its pilot project to provide a neighbourhood park to children.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
10. Government approved ex-gratia payment of Rs 973.74 crores for moratorium during Covid-19.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the payment of Rs 973.74 crores under the “Scheme for grant of ex-gratia payment of difference between compound interest and simple interest for six months to borrowers in specified loan account”.
- “Scheme for grant of ex-gratia payment of difference between compound interest and simple interest for six months to borrowers in specified loan accounts” was approved by the Cabinet in October 2020.
- This will help the small borrowers and the distressed/weaker section borrowers to bear the crisis arising out of the pandemic and get back on their feet.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has also approved the equity infusion of Rs.1500 crore in the Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited.
- The equity infusion will help in generating 10200 jobs and reducing 7.49 Million tonnes CO2/year.
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. (IREDA):
- It works under the administrative control of the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- It is a Public Limited Government Company established as a Non-Banking Financial Institution in 1987.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
11. PM Narendra Modi to host the first meeting of the India-Central Asia Summit on 27 January.
- On 27 January, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will host the first meeting of the India-Central Asia Summit.
- Presidents of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan will participate in this meeting.
- It will be the first engagement of its kind between India and the Central Asian countries at the level of leaders.
- The focus of the virtual summit will be on 4 Cs: Connectivity, Capacity Enhancement, Commerce, and Contacts in the ties.
- The first India-Central Asia Summit is the result of India’s growing engagement with the Central Asian countries.
- During the Summit, many issues including steps to take forward India-Central Asia relations to newer heights and the Afghanistan situation will be discussed.
- Recently, the third meeting of the India-Central Asia Dialogue at Foreign Ministers’ level was held in New Delhi from 18 to 20 December 2021.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
12. Robert Lewandowski wins FIFA ‘Best Men's Player award’.
- Poland captain Robert Lewandowski won the FIFA ‘Best Men's Player award’ for the second consecutive year.
- Barcelona's midfielder Alexia Putellas won the Best Women's Player title.
- Lewandowski broke the record of late Gerd Muller scoring the most goals in a calendar year.
- Chelsea's Edouard Mendy and Christiane Endler of Lyon won the goalkeeping awards.
- Chelsea’s Emma Hayes won the Best FIFA Women’s Coach award while Thomas Tuchel has been awarded the Best FIFA men’s Coach award.
- Erik Lamela won the FIFA Puskas Award for the best goal. Denmark and Finland fans won the FIFA Fan Award.
- Denmark’s national team won the FIFA Fair Play Award.
13. IMD launched India’s first weather hazard and vulnerability atlas.
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has launched the first climate hazard and vulnerability atlas of India.
- This atlas is based on 14 extreme weather events and the risks they pose to the local population, livelihoods, and economy of each district.
- The climate vulnerability atlas of India has been developed by the scientists at Climate Research and Services (CRS) office.
- The hazards and vulnerability values have been calculated based on the historical climate data.
- Each weather phenomenon’s month-wise hazard levels have been enlisted in this atlas.
- This atlas provides a range of vulnerability with risks ranging from nil, low, moderate, high, and very high categories for every Indian district.
- According to this atlas, lightning caused the highest casualty in India.
Topic: Books and Authors
14. Chandrachur Ghose authored biography of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
- Chandrachur Ghose has written the biography of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
- “Bose: The Untold Story of An Inconvenient Nationalist” is the title of this biography.
- It will be released in February by Penguin Random House India.
- It throws light on Bose’s political activities around the revolutionary groups in Bengal, Punjab, Maharashtra, and the United Provinces.
- This new biography will illuminate many complex issues associated with Subhas Chandra Bose.