- 1. National Award-winning actor Nedumudi Venu passes away at 73.
- 2. FIFA unveils ‘Ibha’- official mascot of U-17 2022 Women's World Cup.
- 3. As per projection by IMF, India will continue to be the world’s fastest growing major economy.
- 4. The proposal of Department of Fertilizers for fixation of NBS Rates for P&K Fertlisers for 2021-22 approved by CCEA.
- 5. Cabinet approved affiliation of 100 Schools with Sainik School Society.
- 6. Karnataka government signs MoU with NASSCOM to provide skill training to students.
- 7. World's first automated, driverless train unveiled in Germany.
- 8. Indian Technology Congress Association Bengaluru launched 75 Students’ Satellites Consortium: Mission 2022 programme.
- 9. Adani Group takes over management of Jaipur International Airport.
- 10. International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction: 13 October
- 11. PM Modi participated virtually in the G20 Extraordinary Summit on Afghanistan.
- 12. Power Finance Corporation accorded 'Maharatna' status by government.
- 13. IFFCO chairman Balvinder Singh Nakai passes away at the age of 87.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Personality in News
1. National Award-winning actor Nedumudi Venu passes away at 73.
- Veteran actor Nedumudi Venu died at the age of 73 in Thiruvananthapuram. He was suffering from liver-related ailments.
- He made his debut in films with Thambu, directed by G Aravindan in 1978. He worked in more than 500 Tamil and Malayalam movies.
- He had won three National Film Awards, and six Kerala State Film Awards for his performances.
- Aravam, Vidaparayum Munpe, Kallan Pavithran, Chamaram, Bharatham are some of his best films.
(Source: News on Air)
2. FIFA unveils ‘Ibha’- official mascot of U-17 2022 Women's World Cup.
- FIFA has unveiled Ibha, the official mascot of the U-17 Women's World Cup India 2022. Ibha is an Asiatic lioness representing women’s power.
- Ibha aims to inspire women and girls across India and around the world to realize their potential.
- The FIFA U-17 2022 Women's World Cup will be organized in India from October 11-30 in 2022.
- Ibha symbolizes courage and strength, which are the core qualities of every woman.
- All India Football Federation President and Local Organising Committee (LOC) will host the FIFA U-17 2022 Women's World Cup.
Topic: Indian Economy
3. As per projection by IMF, India will continue to be the world’s fastest growing major economy.
- IMF has projected that India will continue to be the world's fastest growing major economy with a growth rate of 9.5 % in 2021.
- IMF has projected that Indian economy will grow at 8.5 % in 2022. According to IMF, world economy will grow at 5.9% in 2021 and 4.9% in 2022.
- United States is projected to grow at 6% in 2021 and 5.2 % in 2022. China, on the other hand, is projected to grow at 8 % this year and 5.6 % next year.
4. The proposal of Department of Fertilizers for fixation of NBS Rates for P&K Fertlisers for 2021-22 approved by CCEA.
- The proposal of the Department of Fertilizers for fixation of Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) Rates for Phosphatic and Potassic (P&K) Fertilizers for 2021-22 has been approved by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA).
- Special one-time package for additional subsidy on Di-Ammonium Phosphate (DAP) at the tentative cost of Rs 5,716 crore has also been provided.
- The CCEA has also approved the inclusion of Potash derived from Molasses under the NBS Scheme. Net subsidy required for Rabi 2021-22 will be Rs 28, 655 crore.
- The decision will enable smooth availability of all P and K fertilizers to the farmers during Rabi Season 2021-22 at the subsidized prices.
- Government makes available fertilizers, namely Urea and 24 grades of P&K fertilizers to farmers at subsidized prices through fertilizer manufacturers/ importers.
- The subsidy on P&K fertilizers is being governed by NBS Scheme with effect from 01.04.2010.
Topic: National News
5. Cabinet approved affiliation of 100 Schools with Sainik School Society.
- Recently, Union Cabinet has approved the affiliation of 100 Schools in the government and private sector with the Sainik School Society.
- From the academic year 2022-23, around 5000 students will get admission in class six in such 100 affiliated schools.
- At present, the existing 33 Sainik Schools have an admission capacity of approximately three thousand students in class six.
- In the National Education policy, the government has decided to increase focus on value-based education. It will help in developing discipline, sense of national duty and patriotism among children.
- Union Cabinet also approved the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation 2.0 (AMRUT 2.0) till 2025-26.
- AMRUT 2.0 aim is universal coverage of water supply to households through tap connections in all four thousand 378 statutory towns.
- Union Cabinet also approved the continuation of Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) till 2025-26. The Government has allocated one lakh 41 thousand 600 crore rupees for Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) 2.0.
6. Karnataka government signs MoU with NASSCOM to provide skill training to students.
- The Karnataka State Higher Education Council signed an MoU with the National Association of Software and Service Companies to provide skill training to students.
- Every year the MoU will benefit over five lakh students studying in the institutions of higher learning in Karnataka.
- The skill training courses have been designed as per the national occupational standards of the National Skills Qualification Framework.
- Faculties and students can access the course materials online. The MoU will help students in learning artificial intelligence and cyber security.
- Under the MoU, the courses of Digital Fluency, Artificial Intelligence, and Cyber Security will become part of the curriculum.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
7. World's first automated, driverless train unveiled in Germany.
- Deutsche Bahn (DB), in partnership with Siemens Mobility, has developed the world’s first fully automated driverless train in Germany.
- The train has been developed under the Digital S-Bahn Hamburg project, which is part of DB’s Digital Rail Germany project.
- Automated trains will allow operators to run more trains on a single line. It will create a more efficient and precise system for running trains.
- Four driverless trains will join the northern city's S-Bahn rapid urban rail network and it will start carrying passengers from December.
- The automated trains can transport 30 percent more passengers and can save more than 30 percent of energy.
Topic: Space and IT
8. Indian Technology Congress Association Bengaluru launched 75 Students’ Satellites Consortium: Mission 2022 programme.
- Indian Technology Congress Association, Bengaluru launched the 75 Students’ Satellites Consortium: Mission 2022 programme to commemorate the 75 years of Indian Independence.
- Under the mission, a consortium of 75 students will develop Satellites to be launched by ISRO.
- Indian Technology Congress Association has collaborated with TMISAT of Israel, CSPD Serbia, and UNISEC of Japan to launch the student-built satellite by 2022.
- The initiative is inspired by the prime minister’s ‘Gaganyaan Space mission 2022.
- Indian Technology Congress Association is a Defense & Space company and headquartered in Bengaluru.
- It was founded in 2012 as a non-profit association.
9. Adani Group takes over management of Jaipur International Airport.
- Adani Group has taken the management of the Jaipur International Airport from the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- The company will work on the operations, management, and development of the Jaipur airport through PPP mode.
- The government has leased out the airport to Adani Group for a period of 50 years.
- Airport director J S Balhara handed over a symbolic key of the airport to Chief Airport Officer Adani Jaipur International Ltd Vishnu Jha.
- Adani Group is an Indian multinational conglomerate, headquartered in Ahmedabad. It was founded by Gautam Adani in 1988.
Topic: Important Days
10. International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction: 13 October
- International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction is held every year on 13 October.
- This day celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters.
- It was started in 1989 after a call by UN General Assembly to promote a global culture of risk-awareness and disaster reduction.
- International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2021 edition focuses on International cooperation for developing countries to reduce their disaster risk and disaster losses.
- This is sixth of the seven global targets of the Sendai Framework for measuring progress on reducing disaster risk and losses.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
11. PM Modi participated virtually in the G20 Extraordinary Summit on Afghanistan.
- On 12 October, PM Modi participated virtually in the G20 Extraordinary Summit on Afghanistan.
- Italy had convened this meeting and Italian Prime Minister Mr. Mario Draghi chaired it.
- Italy currently holds the G20 Presidency. PM Modi welcomed initiative of Italian G20 Presidency in convening the meeting to take stock of current situation in Afghanistan.
- He recalled that more than 500 development projects have been implemented by India in Afghanistan.
- He called for an inclusive administration in Afghanistan that includes women and minorities.
12. Power Finance Corporation accorded 'Maharatna' status by government.
- Power Finance Corporation (PFC) has been accorded 'Maharatna' status by government.
- Department of Public Enterprises, under the Ministry of Finance has issued order to this effect.
- Government has given PFC greater operational and financial autonomy by according 'Maharatna' status.
- The grant of 'Maharatna' status to PFC will give enhanced powers to PFC’s Board while taking financial decisions.
- The board of Maharatna CPSEs can make equity investments for financial joint ventures and wholly owned subsidiaries. It can undertake mergers and acquisitions in India and abroad.
- However, this is subject to a ceiling of 15% of the net worth of the concerned CPSE, limited to Rs 5,000 crore in a single project.
- RS Dhillon, Chairman and Managing Director, PFC said that PFC has been accorded 'Maharatna' status due to its exceptional financial performance during the last three years.
Topic: Personality in News
13. IFFCO chairman Balvinder Singh Nakai passes away at the age of 87.
- IFFCO chairman Balvinder Singh Nakai passed away recently at the age of 87.
- IFFCO said that he was involved in strengthening the Indian cooperative movement for the past three decades.
- Cooperation Minister Amit Shah conveyed deepest condolences to his bereaved family.