- 1. Russia claimed that Ukraine is preparing to use dirty bomb.
- 2. India is among the top 12 teams finalized for Men's 2022 World Team Chess Championship.
- 3. Gujarati New Year Bestu Varsh celebrated with gaiety on 26 October.
- 4. Aman Sehrawat has created history by winning a gold medal at the Under-23 World Wrestling Championship in Spain.
- 5. V Muraleedharan attended the meeting of the ‘Dakar International Forum on Peace and Security in Africa’.
- 6. FIPRESCI declared 'Pather Panchali' the best Indian movie.
- 7. 7th Ayurveda Day was celebrated worldwide on 23 October 2022.
- 8. Disarmament Week: 24-30 October
- 9. India successfully test-fired Agni Prime ballistic missile off the coast of Odisha.
- 10. India suffered income loss of 5.4% of GDP due to heatwave in 2021: Climate Transparency Report 2022
- 11. Australia withdraws recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
- 12. Rishi Sunak becomes the first British Asian Prime Minister.
- 13. Global Youth Climate Summit inaugurated in Bangladesh.
- 14. Partial Solar Eclipse observed in India and other parts of the world on 25 October 2022.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: International News
1. Russia claimed that Ukraine is preparing to use dirty bomb.
- Russia alleged that Ukraine’s government has given orders to two organizations to create dirty bombs.
- Russia’s U.N Ambassador, Vassily Nebenzia, sent a letter to the United Nations related to the use of dirty bomb.
- Russia claimed that Ukraine could use dirty bombs in the Russia-occupied town of Kherson.
- Ukrainian officials and diplomats from the United States, France, and Britain rejected the claim.
- Dirty bombs:
- These are made up of conventional explosives and radioactive materials.
- Dirty bombs are less powerful than nuclear bombs, and their radiation spreads to a distance of a few blocks or miles from the explosion.
- Dirty bombs have never been used. They can create radiation poisoning on the affected population.
2. India is among the top 12 teams finalized for Men's 2022 World Team Chess Championship.
- India, China, the United States, and the Netherlands are among the teams in top 12 teams finalized for Men's 2022 World Team Chess Championship.
- The Men's 2022 World Team Chess Championship will begin on November 20 in Jerusalem, Israel.
- The other participating countries are Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Spain, France, Ukraine, Poland, and Israel.
- The 12 teams will be divided into two pools of about the same strength. The final match will be played on November 25.
- Four teams from each pool will reach the quarterfinals. The tournament will be organized by the International Chess Federation (FIDE).
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Gujarat
3. Gujarati New Year Bestu Varsh celebrated with gaiety on 26 October.
- In Gujarat, the new year, known as Bestu Varsh, is celebrated as part of the five-day Diwali celebrations.
- Gujarati community all over the world celebrated the New Year with traditional faith and enthusiasm.
- Gujarati New Year - Vikram Samvat 2079 started from 26 October.
- It falls on Shukla Paksha Pratipada in the Hindu month of Kartik.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. Aman Sehrawat has created history by winning a gold medal at the Under-23 World Wrestling Championship in Spain.
- 16-year-old Aman is the first Indian wrestler to win a gold medal in this competition.
- He defeated Turkey's Ahmet Duman 12-4 in the final.
- Olympic medalists Bajrang Punia and Ravi Kumar Dahiya had also reached the finals of this competition earlier and won the silver medal.
- Earlier this year, Aman won the gold medal in the Under-23 Asian Championship and a silver medal in the Under-20 Asian Championship.
- India's Sajan Bhanwala has become the first Greco-Roman wrestler to win a bronze medal in this competition.
- India has received six medals, including one gold, one silver, and four bronze in the Under-23 World Wrestling Championship 2022.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
5. V Muraleedharan attended the meeting of the ‘Dakar International Forum on Peace and Security in Africa’.
- Visiting Senegal Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan attended the opening session of this meeting.
- On 24 October, Senegalese President Mackie Saal inaugurated the meeting in Dakar.
- The Presidents of Angola and Cabo Verde, several ministers and high-level dignitaries were present at the event.
- Mr Muraleedhan said that this is an important forum for policy discussions on various aspects of Africa's sovereignty and security.
- He said that India firmly supports Africa's development priorities in the Guidance of Ten Principles laid out by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the Parliament of Uganda in 2018.
- India is participating in the meeting of this forum at the ministerial level for the first time.
- The Dakar International Forum is a major event for policy makers in Africa.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
6. FIPRESCI declared 'Pather Panchali' the best Indian movie.
- The feature film "Pather Panchali" by legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray has been announced as the best Indian film of all time by the International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI).
- The announcement has been made according to a poll conducted by the India chapter of FIPRESCI.
- The voting was conducted in secret, and involved 30 members, according to a press release issued by FIPRESCI-India.
- "Pather Panchali," Ray's debut film as a director, was based on the 1929 Bengali novel of the same name by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay.
- The film was influenced by the Italian Neorealism movement.
- Subir Banerjee, Kanu Banerjee, Karuna Banerjee, Uma Dasgupta, Pinaki Sengupta, and Chunibala Devi worked in this movie.
- International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI):
- It is a group of professional film critics and film journalists from all over the world who work together to "promote and develop film culture and protect professional interests."
- It was founded in June 1930 in Brussels, Belgium.
- Currently, it has members in more than 50 countries worldwide.
- It is headquartered in Munich.
- Its President is Alin Tasciyan.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Important Days
7. 7th Ayurveda Day was celebrated worldwide on 23 October 2022.
- Dhanawantari Jayanti is celebrated as Ayurveda Day since 2016 to promote our most ancient and well-documented system of medicine.
- This year, the theme for Ayurveda Day is 'Har Din Har Ghar Ayurveda'.
- Keeping in view the theme, activities were conducted under 3-Js i.e. Jan Sandesh, Jan Bhagidari and Jan Aandolan.
- 6 week long events were conducted with the aim of Jan Sandesh, Jan Bhagidari and Jan Aandolan from 12th September 2022 to 23rd October 2022.
- As part of 7th Ayurveda Day celebration, main event was held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- Tribal Affairs Minister Shri Arjun Munda was present on the occasion as the Chief Guest.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Ministry of Ayush and Ministry of Tribal Affairs to collaborate in Ayush sector.
- Ministry of Ayush’s ‘I support Ayurveda’ campaign got support from more than 1.7 crore people.
- On the occasion, a book on ‘The Ayurvedic Pharmacopeia of India’, ‘The Ayurvedic formulary of India’ was released.
- To create awareness about the health benefits of medicinal plants, a species-specific national campaign on Ashwagandha - A health promoter was launched by the Ministry of Ayush.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
8. Disarmament Week: 24-30 October
- Disarmament Week starts on 24 October, the anniversary of the founding of the United Nations.
- The week-long annual event was first called in the ‘Final Document’ of the UN General Assembly’s 1978 special session on disarmament.
- In 1995, governments and NGOs were invited by the General Assembly to continue taking an active part in Disarmament Week in order to promote a better understanding among the public of disarmament issues.
- In 2018, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres launched Securing our Common Future: An Agenda for Disarmament.
- The United Nations Disarmament Commission (UNDC) was set up in 1952 under the UN Security Council for the regulation and reduction of armed forces.
- UNDC is headquartered in New York, United States. Its head is Han Tae-song.
9. India successfully test-fired Agni Prime ballistic missile off the coast of Odisha.
- Agni Prime is an advanced version of the Agni missiles. It has a range between 1000 and 2000 km.
- During the trial, the missile travelled the maximum range and achieved all objectives. The accuracy and reliability of the system have been also achieved.
- The performance of the system has been validated through various instruments like radar, telemetry and electro-optical tracking systems.
- The first test was done in June last year and the second test was done in December.
- Agni Prime:
- It is a nuclear-capable new-generation missile. It is a two-stage canisterised missile.
- It can be launched by rail or road and can be transported as per the operational requirements.
- Its weight is 50% less than the Agni 3 missile and is equipped with the new guidance and propulsion systems.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
10. India suffered income loss of 5.4% of GDP due to heatwave in 2021: Climate Transparency Report 2022
- India’s loss due to the heatwave is the highest among the G20 countries.
- As per the report, 142 million people in India may get exposed to heatwaves at 1.5 Degrees Celsius.
- Heatwaves in India affected workers, labour migrants, low-income households and homeless people. It also reduced the yields of wheat crops.
- The 'Climate Transparency Report 2022' has been developed by experts from 16 partner organizations.
- The USA ranked first with a 25% contribution to the global emission, it is followed by the European Union with 22%.
- G20 countries are responsible for around three-quarters of global emissions.
- The report highlighted the link between the climate emergency and the energy crisis. The report will work as a reference tool for decision-makers.
- As per the report, the G-20 countries are still not taking the necessary action. India is only responsible for 3 percent of global emissions.
Topic: International News
11. Australia withdraws recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
- The present Australian government has reversed a previous government's recognition of West Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
- The cabinet of the government agreed to re-recognize Tel Aviv as the capital.
- Foreign Minister Penny Wong said that the situation in Jerusalem should be resolved through peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians.
- In December 2018, Prime Minister Scott Morrison formally recognised West Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
- The change came after then-US President Donald Trump's decision to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
- Israel occupied East Jerusalem after the 1967 Six-Day War and declared the entire city as its "eternal and indivisible capital".
- The Palestinians claim the eastern part as the capital of the future state.
Topic: International Appointments
12. Rishi Sunak becomes the first British Asian Prime Minister.
- The former Finance Minister of UK, Rishi Sunak was appointed Prime Minister by King Charles III on 25 October 2022.
- He has been elected as leader of the Conservative Party.
- He is 42 years old and has become the youngest Prime Minister of Britain in more than a century.
- Liz Truss who recently became the Prime Minister stepped down on 20 October 2022.
- Rishi Sunak was born in Southampton, Hampshire.
- Prime Minister of UK is the head of the government.
13. Global Youth Climate Summit inaugurated in Bangladesh.
- On 20th October, youth from 70 countries participated in the Summit in Khulna, Bangladesh.
- The three-day summit from October 20-22 brought together 650 youth in a hybrid format, with 150 youth took part in person and 500 online.
- The summit's aim was for young people to explore how they can take the lead in the fight against climate change.
- Global Youth Leadership Centre (GYLC) organised the programme.
- GYLC has been launched as a global organization to mobilize youth to tackle the climate crisis.
- To empower youth to take climate action, the 10 delegates at the summit received a USD 1,000 grant to implement their climate mitigation or adaptation project.
14. Partial Solar Eclipse observed in India and other parts of the world on 25 October 2022.
- The eclipse was seen in the areas covering Europe, north-eastern parts of Africa, Middle East, North Atlantic Ocean, western Asia and north Indian Ocean.
- The next solar eclipse will be seen in India on 2 August 2027. It will be a total solar eclipse.
- Solar Eclipse occurs when the Moon comes between Sun and Earth casting a shadow on Earth.
- Observing solar eclipse with the naked eye can cause permanent damage to a person’s retina as high-density radiations are released from the photosphere of the Sun.