Daily Current Affairs and GK | 3 February 2023
- 1. Kerala's economy registered a strong recovery in FY 2021-22.
- 2. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh announced that the state will be drug-free by the year 2025.
- 3. Renowned filmmaker K. Vishwanath passed away at the age of 92.
- 4. VK Pandian, Odisha CM's secretary, received the FIH President award.
- 5. WhatsApp chatbot launched by DCPCR to make governance citizen-friendly.
- 6. Railways' earnings in the passenger segment grew by 73%.
- 7. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Engineers India Limited to develop Waste to Energy plants in million-plus cities.
- 8. India's first locally designed and manufactured hydrogen train will run on the historic Kalka-Shimla circuit by December 2023.
- 9. EIACP in association with National Museum of Natural History organised a ‘National workshop on LiFE’.
- 10. Union Minister Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey will inaugurate an event “Towards Panchamrit” in Manesar.
- 11. PUMA India has roped in Indian Women's Cricket Team captain Harmanpreet Kaur as its brand ambassador.
- 12. Bharat Shared Repository of Inscriptions (BharatSHRI), a digital epigraphy museum, will be setup.
- 13. Asia’s first floating festival began on 1 February at Mandsaur, Madhya Pradesh.
- 14. A report by Hindenburg Research accuses the Adani Group of “stock manipulation and accounting malpractices”.
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
Topic: State News/ Kerala
1. Kerala's economy registered a strong recovery in FY 2021-22.
- According to the State Economic Review for 2021-22, Kerala's economy has grown by 12.01 per cent in 2021-22 from (-) 8.43 per cent in 2020-21.
- Kerala's economy has grown the fastest since 2012-13.
- In 2021-22(Q), primary, secondary and tertiary sectors grew by 4.16 per cent, 3.9 per cent and 17.3 per cent respectively as compared to 2020-21.
- Agriculture and allied activities has increased from 0.24 per cent in 2020-21 to 4.64 per cent in 2021-22.
- Fishing and Aquaculture and Crop sectors registered a positive growth of 30.1 per cent and 3.63 per cent respectively in 2021-22.
- In 2021-22 (Q), the Industry sector has grown by 3.9 per cent as compared to (-) 2.82 per cent.
- Manufacturing (3.63%) and construction (2.4%) showed positive growth in 2021-22.
- The service sector registered a growth of 17.3 per cent in 2021-22 (Q).
- At the end of 2021-22, the outstanding public debt of the state was Rs.219974.54 crore.
- The Kerala government has decided to celebrate 2022-23 as a "Year of Enterprises". Its main aim is to encourage Micro, Small and Medium level entrepreneurs in the State.
- The government has emphasised improving the quality of school infrastructure.
- The Kerala government has launched the Aardram Mission programme for the development of health infrastructure.
- The State Government is setting up a Textile Processing Centre at Nadukani.
- The government of Kerala has launched many initiatives to increase academic standards and the enrolment ratio.
Topic: State News/ Uttarakhand
2. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh announced that the state will be drug-free by the year 2025.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami inaugurated the de-addiction workshop on 'Mission Drugs Free Devbhoomi'.
- He said that it is our resolution that by 2025 not even a single person of Devbhoomi should be addicted to drugs.
- The government, society, youth, NGOs, celebrities, successful people and various social-educational institutions will have to work together for the accomplishment of this resolution.
- Chief Minister also announced that the name of the Prisons Department would be changed to "Prison Administration and Correctional Service".
- Awareness regarding drug-free will be also brought in all the prisons of the state.
- The Uttarakhand government will celebrate its Silver jubilee of the establishment in 2025.
Topic: Personality in News
3. Renowned filmmaker K. Vishwanath passed away at the age of 92.
- K. Viswanath, a legendary filmmaker and Dadasaheb Phalke awardee, has passed away at a private hospital in Hyderabad.
- Viswanath, also popularly known as Kalatapasvi, was born in Andhra Pradesh in 1930 and gained popularity in Telugu, Tamil and Hindi films.
- He made 50 films from 1965 and was a renowned film producer.
- In 2016, he received the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, the highest award in Indian cinema.
- He debuted as a director with a film titled Atma Govaram and won the state government's prestigious Nandi Award for Best Feature Film.
- In 1992, he received the Padma Shri, five National Awards and 20 Nandi Awards besides 10 Filmfare trophies, including the Lifetime Achievement Award.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
4. VK Pandian, Odisha CM's secretary, received the FIH President award.
- Tayyab Ikram, President of the International Hockey Federation, gave the FIH President's Award to VK Pandian, Secretary to the Chief Minister of Odisha, for his remarkable contribution to hockey.
- The award was presented to Pandian at a function organised on the eve of the FIH Odisha Hockey Men's World Cup 2023 Bhubaneswar-Rourkela Final.
- VK Pandian and CM Naveen Patnaik played a crucial role in hosting the spectacular Hockey World Cup.
- The FIH President's Award honours individuals, National Associations, or other organisations for valuable services to hockey, whether direct or indirect, or initiatives that have had a significant impact on international hockey.
Topic: State News/ New Delhi
5. WhatsApp chatbot launched by DCPCR to make governance citizen-friendly.
- The Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights launched its WhatsApp chatbot, describing it as an important initiative to make governance citizen-friendly.
- The chatbot has been named "Bal Mitra," which is an effort to enable two-way communication between people and the child rights panel.
- The chatbot will help citizens and the commission interact more effectively.
- Some of the features of the chatbot include complaint registration, information search and complaint status tracking, and information seeking on admission.
- The chatbot will provide authentic information on various issues related to children and their rights, while also ensuring confidentiality of the cases reported through it.
- Earlier, the commission had introduced the 'Early Warning System', which has helped the education department bring back over 50,000 students to schools and reduce the dropout rate.
Topic: National News
6. Railways' earnings in the passenger segment grew by 73%.
- The passenger segment has seen a growth of 73% in the railways' revenue earnings during April-January 2023 as compared to the same period last year.
- From April to January 2023, overall earnings in the passenger category are 54,733 crore rupees, compared to approximately 31,000 crore rupees last year.
- The total estimated number of passengers booked during the same period is 6,590 lakhs as compared to 6,181 lakhs during the same period last year. It shows an increase of 7 percent.
- The income earned from the reserved passenger segment is Rs 42,945 crore from 1 April to 31 January 2023, up from Rs 29,079 crore during the same period last year, showing a 48% increase.
- The approximate total number of passengers booked in the unreserved passenger segment from 1 April to 31 January 2023 is 45,180 lakhs, up from 19,785 lakh during the same period last year, showing a growth of 128%.
- The revenue generated from the unreserved passenger segment is over Rs 11,788 crore as against Rs 2,555 crore in the previous year, showing a growth of 361%.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|December Monthly Current Affairs||November Monthly Current Affairs|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
7. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Engineers India Limited to develop Waste to Energy plants in million-plus cities.
- While presenting the Budget 2023-2024, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman listed the seven priorities.
- In the ‘Green Growth’ segment, 500 new Waste to Wealth plants will be set up under the GOBARdhan scheme.
- These will include 200 compressed biogas plants, 75 in urban areas, 300 community or cluster-based plants, at a total investment of Rs 10,000 Cr.
- MoHUA has taken a decision to establish large-scale solid waste processing facilities in million-plus cities.
- There are 59 million plus cities in India. Million-plus cities are cities with a population of a million plus.
- Bio-methanation plants have been proposed in these million-plus cities for the management of organic/wet fractions of municipal solid waste.
- Waste to Energy plants will produce renewable power by using dry waste fraction of municipal solid waste.
- Asia’s biggest municipal solid waste-based GOBARdhan (Galvanizing Organic Bio Agro Resource Dhan) plant was inaugurated by PM Modi in Indore in February 2022.
- Engineers India Limited is a central public sector undertaking under Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. Vartika Shukla is its chairman and MD.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
8. India's first locally designed and manufactured hydrogen train will run on the historic Kalka-Shimla circuit by December 2023.
- Railways Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw made this announcement recently.
- The hydrogen-powered trains will be known as Vande Metro.
- They will first run on historic, narrow-gauge routes such as Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, the Kalka Shimla Railway, the Matheran Hill Railway, the Kangra Valley, the Bilmora Waghai, and the Marwar-Devgarh Madriya.
- Hydrogen trains use hydrogen fuel cells instead of the traditional diesel engines.
- Hydrogen fuel cells generate electricity by converting hydrogen and oxygen. This electricity is then used to power the motors of trains.
- Hydrogen trains are more environment friendly than diesel trains. They do not emit pollutants like carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, or particulate matter.
- Fuel supply for hydrogen trains is clean and renewable because hydrogen can be produced by using renewable energy sources (wind, solar, or hydro power).
- High cost of hydrogen is a key limitation to widespread use of hydrogen trains.
- Green hydrogen costs nearly Rs 492/kg in India as per rating agency ICRA. As a result, operating cost of hydrogen fuel cell-based engine will be 27% higher than that of a diesel engine.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
9. EIACP in association with National Museum of Natural History organised a ‘National workshop on LiFE’.
- The Environmental Information, Awareness, Capacity Building and Livelihood Programme (EIACP) in association with the National Museum of Natural History organized a ‘National workshop on LiFE’ at Indira Paryavaran Bhawan.
- The workshop has been organized to align the activities of the Programme Centres with ‘Mission LiFE (Lifestyle for the Environment).
- 160 students from four different schools were sensitised about the Mission LiFE and green skills. Students were encouraged to become ‘Pro-Planet People.
- Students were given LiFE badges and also a copy of the booklet Lexicon of LiFE.
- 'Lifestyle for the Environment’ (LiFE):
- PM Modi launched a global initiative 'Lifestyle for the Environment (LiFE) Movement' on 5th June 2022.
- It is a global mass movement to promote individual and community action to preserve the environment.
- The idea promotes an environmentally conscious lifestyle that focuses on ‘mindful and deliberate utilisation’ instead of ‘mindless and wasteful consumption’.
Topic: National News
10. Union Minister Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey will inaugurate an event “Towards Panchamrit” in Manesar.
- Union Minister Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey will inaugurate a mega event “Towards Panchamrit” at International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT), Manesar, Haryana on February 4, 2023.
- Union Minister Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey and MoS Shri Krishan Pal will also inaugurate the ICAT Incubation Centre.
- Automotive Industry leaders and Senior Government Officials from NITI Aayog, MNRE, etc will also participate in the event.
- A dedicated interactive session between the automotive industry and MHI officials will be also organized for the implementation of schemes like PLI-Auto, PLI- ACC, FAME and Capital Goods Scheme.
- The main aim of the schemes is to develop an ecosystem of innovation and to reduce carbon footprint.
- Technical sessions will focus on developing technologies for Hydrogen, EVs, Biofuels and Gas fueled vehicles.
- The testing and certification infrastructure available at ICAT will also be demonstrated to the dignitaries.
11. PUMA India has roped in Indian Women's Cricket Team captain Harmanpreet Kaur as its brand ambassador.
- Harmanpreet will promote the brand's footwear, apparel and accessories through multiple activities and campaigns throughout the year.
- Other brand ambassadors in News:
The New Shop
Kannada actor Yash
Herbalife Nutrition India
Movado (watch brand)
Topic: Indian Economy
12. Bharat Shared Repository of Inscriptions (BharatSHRI), a digital epigraphy museum, will be setup.
- The finance minister announced setting up of BharatSHRI in the budget 2023-24.
- Under this, one lakh ancient inscriptions will be digitized in the first phase.
- The Archaeological Survey of India will set up the BharatSHRI at Hyderabad.
- In addition, out of the total outlay of the annual budget, Rs 1102.83 crore has been allocated to ASI.
- It has been allocated for protection, preservation and conservation of Centrally Protected Monuments/sites and excavations of Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites.
- Amrit Dharohar Yojana will also be implemented in the next three years to encourage optimum use of wetlands and enhance biodiversity.
- India has made remarkable progress in several Sustainable Development Goals.
- In 2015, All United Nations member states adopted the 2030 agenda for sustainable development.
- It provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity on the earth.
Topic: State News/ Madhya Pradesh
13. Asia’s first floating festival began on 1 February at Mandsaur, Madhya Pradesh.
- Usha Thakur, Tourism Minister in the Government of Madhya Pradesh, inaugurated the first edition of the Gandhi Sagar Floating Festival at Mandsaur.
- This floating festival commenced with the performances of the “Indian Ocean rock band” on February 1.
- Visitors can enjoy a floating stage, floating market, boat spa, boat safari, and live music in the festival.
- The floating festival will conclude on February 4 while the tent city for tourists will continue for 3 months.
- The tourist will get a chance to enjoy live music concerts and entertainment on a floating stage.
- Gandhisagar Floating Festival is also great festival for adventurers.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
14. A report by Hindenburg Research accuses the Adani Group of “stock manipulation and accounting malpractices”.
- Hindenburg released a report titled ‘Adani Group: How The World’s 3rd Richest Man Is Pulling The Largest Con In Corporate History’.
- The report states that Adani Group is involved in “stock manipulation and accounting fraud”.
- The report has raised concern about the “substantial debt” of Adani Group.
- The report alleged that Adani Group family members helped in making shell companies in tax heaves countries.
- It has been said in the report that the shares of Adani Group companies are unnecessarily expensive, their actual value is very less.
- Hindenburg Research said that the report has been prepared over a period two of years and involved visits to multiple countries and the mining of documents and data.
- The report has triggered the sell-off the Adani Group’s stocks.
- The Adani Group denied the accusations and is now considering taking legal action against Hindenburg research.
- Adani Group losses have now surpassed $100 billion after the release of the report.
- Adani Enterprises has cancelled its Rs 20,000 crore follow-on public offer (FPO).
- Opposition parties in India demanded a probe of the allegation of accounting fraud and stock manipulation against the Adani Group.
- The Hindenburg Research firm started in 2017, since then it has published reports on the mismanagement in 16 companies.