- 1. Astronomers have discovered an identical planet to Jupiter.
- 2. 9th edition of India – Kyrgyzstan Joint Special Forces Exercise concluded on 06 April 2022.
- 3. Prof Ramdarash Mishra will get Saraswati Samman 2021.
- 4. ADB has projected that India’s GDP will grow by 7.5% and 8% in FY2022 and FY2023, respectively.
- 5. World Health Day 2022: 7 April
- 6. Madhya Pradesh CM has launched the Mukhyamantri Udyami Kranti Yojana.
- 7. RITES and IIT Delhi have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- 8. SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk has topped Forbes rich list 2022.
- 9. Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying launched ‘One Health’ pilot project in Uttarakhand.
- 10. United Nations Human Rights Council appointed Ian Fry as a climate change expert.
- 11. Government introduced a bill to ban the financing of weapons of mass destruction.
- 12. Meghalaya to host 83rd National Table Tennis Championship 2022.
- 13. Sarhul celebrated across Jharkhand with traditional gaiety and fervour.
- 14. Delhi government launched a scheme to set up ‘Hobby Hubs’ in government schools.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Space and IT
1. Astronomers have discovered an identical planet to Jupiter.
- Astronomers have found an exoplanet 17,000 light-years away from the Earth, which is nearly identical to Jupiter.
- It is about the same distance from its star as Jupiter is from the Sun.
- This exoplanet has been named K2-2016-BLG-0005Lb. It is 1.1 times heavier than Jupiter, and the star that it orbits has a mass of around 60% of the Sun.
- K2-2016-BLG-0005Lb is 420 million miles away from its star, while Jupiter is 462 million miles away.
- Astronomers used Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity and gravitational microlensing technique to discover a planet identical to Jupiter.
- This exoplanet has been identified by an international team of astrophysicists by using data from NASA's Kepler satellite telescope collected in 2016.
- Gravitational Microlensing Method is used for indirectly detecting exoplanets. It relies on the gravitational force of distant objects to bend and focus light coming from a star.
2. 9th edition of India – Kyrgyzstan Joint Special Forces Exercise concluded on 06 April 2022.
- The exercise started on 25 March 2022 at Special Forces Training School, Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh.
- During the exercise, Special Forces contingents from India and Kyrgyzstan shared their expertise and best practices.
- KHANJAR is the name of the exercise between Indian and Kyrgyzstan Special Forces.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. Prof Ramdarash Mishra will get Saraswati Samman 2021.
- He will be given the award for his collection of poems ‘Mein to Yahan Hun’.
- He is known for his work in Hindi Literature. Last year, Marathi writer Dr Sharankumar Limbale won Saraswati Samman 2020.
- Saraswati Samman was first won by Harivansh Rai Bachchan.
- Saraswati Samman:
- It was started in 1991. It is sponsored by K. K. Birla Foundation.
- It is given annually for prose or poetry in any one of 22 languages in Schedule VIII of the Indian Constitution.
- It includes a plaque, a citation, and a cash prize of ₹15 lakh. It is given for work published within last 10 years.
Topic: Indian Economy
4. ADB has projected that India’s GDP will grow by 7.5% and 8% in FY2022 and FY2023, respectively.
- In its Asian Development Outlook (ADO) 2022, ADB has projected that the growth rate in South Asia will decline to 7% in 2022.
- ADB has also projected that growth rate in South Asia will increase to 7.4% in 2023.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has estimated that Asia’s economies will grow by 5.2% in 2022 and 5.3% in 2023.
- Asian Development Outlook (ADO):
- It is a report of ADB, which is annually published in March/April. It covers most countries in Asia.
- An update to ADO is published in September. Brief supplements to ADO are published in July and December.
- Global Economic Prospects by World Bank Group and World Economic Outlook by International Monetary Fund are two other important economic reports.
Topic: Important Days
5. World Health Day 2022: 7 April
- World Health Day is celebrated every year on 7 April to commemorate the establishment of the World Health Organization.
- The theme of World Health Day 2022 is - “Our Planet, Our Health.”
- The World Health Organization first commemorated World Health Day on April 7, 1950.
- On World Health Day, the Ayush Ministry organized a “Yoga Mahotsav” at Red Fort in New Delhi.
- According to the Union Health Ministry, India's maternal and infant mortality rates have decreased significantly, and the country will achieve the Sustainable Development Goals before the 2030 deadline.
- On the occasion of World Health Day, Vikas Sheel stated that the number of malaria cases in India has also decreased by 85 percent in the last four years.
- According to Mr. Sheel, four mission-mode projects - Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission, Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres, Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, and Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission have contributed to critical aspects of Universal Health Coverage.
Topic: State News / Madhya Pradesh
6. Madhya Pradesh CM has launched the Mukhyamantri Udyami Kranti Yojana.
- Mukhyamantri Udyami Kranti Yojna has been launched by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, who stated that employment generation is the state government's top goal.
- The scheme would give loans ranging from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 50 lakh to young people in the manufacturing, business, and service sectors.
- The state-level event was hosted at the Kushabhau Thackeray International Convention Center.
- It was presided over by Omprakash Sakhlecha, the minister of small, micro, and medium enterprises (MSME) and Science and Technology.
- Feature of the Mukhyamantri Udyami Kranti Yojana:
- Youth will not be required to provide a bank guarantee because the government will provide a guarantee on their behalf.
- The state government would deposit Rs 140 crore in banks for this purpose.
- Youth from families with an annual income of up to Rs 12 lakh will be eligible for loans.
- Young people who take out loans will receive a 3% interest subsidy.
7. RITES and IIT Delhi have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- The MoU aims is to explore ways of collaboration on road design and road safety consultancy projects.
- Through the MoU, RITES and IIT-Delhi aim to bring out best practices by using each other's experience and technologies to optimise operations.
- RITES last week signed an agreement with National Railways of Zimbabwe on technical cooperation.
- Rail India Technical and Economic Service Limited (RITES Ltd.):
- It is a Government of India Enterprise. It was established in 1974.
- It is only export arm of Indian Railways for providing rolling stock overseas.
Topic: Reports and Indices
8. SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk has topped Forbes rich list 2022.
- Mukesh Ambani is world’s 10th richest person in the list. He is followed by Gautam Adani.
- Musk has replaced Amazon’s Jeff Bezos this year on 36th Forbes rich list.
- Mukesh Ambani, Gautam Adani, Shiv Nader, Cyrus Poonawalla and Radhakishan Damani are top 5 Indians on 36th Forbes rich list.
- Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bernard Arnault, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are top 5 richest men in world.
- Savitri Jindal is richest woman in India in Forbes' Billionaires List 2022. Nykaa founder Falguni Nayar has entered into list this year.
- Francoise Bettencourt Meyers is listed as the richest woman in the world in the list this year. She is followed by Alice Walton.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
9. Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying launched ‘One Health’ pilot project in Uttarakhand.
- This pilot project has been launched to implement the One Health Framework by One Health Support Unit.
- Its main aim is to develop a national One Health roadmap based on the outcomes of the pilot project.
- An Inter-ministerial One Health committee has been also formed under the chairmanship of the Principal Scientific Adviser for the implementation of the One Health Support Unit.
- Under the chairmanship of the Secretary (AHD), a Project Steering Committee (PSC) has been also formed.
- State and district level one health committees will be formed by involving authorities from health, animal husbandry and environment ministries.
- ‘One Health India’ program:
- Its main objective is to improve livestock health, human health, wildlife health, and environmental health through technology and finance.
- One Health Framework will help in disease reporting, response coordination, and optimum utilization of resources.
- It will spread awareness about animal diseases and their economic impacts.
10. United Nations Human Rights Council appointed Ian Fry as a climate change expert.
- United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) for the first time appointed an expert on climate change and human rights.
- The main objective of the appointment is to embolden environmental defenders and to support victims of extreme weather.
- This post was created by UNHRC in October 2021. Ian Fry had negotiated on behalf of least developed countries at the 2015 Paris climate conference.
- Ian Fry will study and identify the adverse effects of climate change. He will recommend ways to reduce the adverse effects of climate change.
- Last year, United Nations Human Rights Council had recognized access to a clean and healthy environment as a fundamental right.
- United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC):
- It was founded on 15 March 2006.
- It creates awareness about human rights around the world.
- It has 47 members elected for a three-year term.
- Its headquarters is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Federico Villegas is the current President.
Topic: Indian Polity
11. Government introduced a bill to ban the financing of weapons of mass destruction.
- External Affairs Minister (EAM) S. Jaishankar has introduced the Weapons of Mass Destruction and their Delivery Systems (Prohibition of Unlawful Activities) Amendment Bill, 2022 in Lok Sabha.
- It empowers the central government to seize the financial assets of the people involved in the financing of weapons of mass destruction.
- It also prohibits any person to arrange funds or economic resources or financial assets for the benefit of the person involved in the financing of Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- The present law covers unlawful activities associated with biological, chemical and nuclear weapons and their delivery systems but it doesn’t cover the financial aspect.
- External Affairs Minister (EAM) S. Jaishankar said that international organisations have expanded their regulations related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and their delivery system.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction is a nuclear, radiological, chemical, biological, or other device that is intended to harm a large number of people.
12. Meghalaya to host 83rd National Table Tennis Championship 2022.
- Meghalaya will host the 83rd National Table Tennis Championship from April 18th till 25th, 2022 at SAI Indoor Training Centre in Shillong.
- National Table Tennis Championship is one of the biggest sports events hosted by Meghalaya.
- It will be the second time that National Table Tennis Championship will be hosted by any North-eastern state.
- Around 450 players and 200 support staff will participate in this event. 10 players from Meghalaya are expected to participate in this event.
Topic: Art and Culture
13. Sarhul celebrated across Jharkhand with traditional gaiety and fervour.
- It is one of the biggest tribal festivals in Jharkhand. It is also called the spring festival.
- This three-day festival is celebrated mainly by Oraon, Munda and Ho tribes.
- In this festival, Sal trees are worshipped and people pray for good rainfall.
- As per the tradition, two earthen pitchers filled with water are placed under a sal tree overnight.
- If the water level remains unchanged, it means there will be good rainfall and if the water level decreases means there will be less rainfall.
- Other festivals celebrated in Jharkhand are:
- Karam/ Karma- It is celebrated to worship Karam devta or the god of power. It is celebrated in Bhadra month.
- Tusu Parab or Makar- It is mainly celebrated in Bundu, Tamar and Raidih areas of Jharkhand. It is a harvest festival and celebrated during the winter on the last day of Poush month.
- Rohini- It is a festival of sowing seeds in the field. It is the first festival of the year.
- Sohrai- It is celebrated just after Diwali for domestic animals. On this occasion, bullfights are organized.
Topic: State News/ Delhi
14. Delhi government launched a scheme to set up ‘Hobby Hubs’ in government schools.
- Delhi government is planning to set up ‘Hobby Hubs’ in government schools for extra-curricular activities.
- For the 2022-2023 academic session, the project of setting up ‘Hobby Hubs’ will be implemented in single shift government schools.
- The main aim of the project is to teach dance, music, arts and crafts after school hours.
- Private academies, individuals and NGOs will give free training to children selected by the schools.
- Schools have been allowed to choose the activities to be started in their schools based on the needs and interests of their students.
- The main focus of this project is on five activities: Dance, music, literary, technical, and Indian languages.
- This scheme will help in identifying talents and providing guidance to them.