- 1. PM paid tribute to Gurudev Tagore, Gopal Krishna Gokhale and Maharana Pratap on their Jayanti.
- 2. World Thalassaemia Day: 8 May
- 3. Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched Ladli Laxmi scheme 2.0.
- 4. John Lee Ka-chiu will be Hong Kong’s next chief executive.
- 5. Carlos Alcaraz won Madrid Open title by defeating Alexander Zverev.
- 6. G7 countries have pledged to phase out imports of oil from Russia.
- 7. The three social security schemes (PMJJBY, PMSBY, and APY) have completed seven years on 09 May 2022.
- 8. Justices Sudhanshu Dhulia and JB Pardiwala have been appointed by President as Supreme Court judges.
- 9. World Red Cross Day: 08 May
- 10. Olympian Avinash Sable broke Indian runner Bahadur Prasad’s record.
- 11. Cyclonic system developed near the Andaman Islands in India will be named Asani if it develops into a cyclone.
- 12. Ministry of Home Affairs and SECI sign an MoU for promoting green energy initiative.
- 13. Venus mission expected to be launched by December 2024: ISRO Chairman
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: Personality in News
1. PM paid tribute to Gurudev Tagore, Gopal Krishna Gokhale and Maharana Pratap on their Jayanti.
- Rabindranath Tagore, Maharana Pratap, and Gopal Krishna Gokhale’s birth anniversary were celebrated across the country.
- Rabindranath Tagore:
- He was born on 7 May 1861.
- He was the youngest son of Debendranath Tagore, a leader of the Brahmo Samaj.
- He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913.
- He has written more than 2000 songs, which are known as ‘Rabindra Sangeet’.
- Gandhiji gave the title of “Gurudev” to Rabindranath Tagore.
- He wrote the national anthem of India and Bangladesh. Gitanjali is Tagore’s best-known collection of poetry.
- The birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore is also called Pachishe Boishakh in Bengali.
- He established Shantiniketan which became Viswa Bharti University.
- Gopal Krishna Gokhale:
- He was born on 9 May 1866. He died on 19 February 1915.
- He was a political leader and a social reformer.
- He was the founder of the Servants of India Society.
- He was the mentor of Mohammed Jinnah and Mahatma Gandhi.
- Maharana Pratap:
- He was the king of Mewar from the Sisodia dynasty.
- He had fought the Battle of Haldighati on 18 June 1576 against Mughals forces led by Man Singh I of Amer.
- He is remembered for his bravery and his loyal horse, Chetak.
Topic: Important Days
2. World Thalassaemia Day: 8 May
- Every year on 8 May World Thalassaemia Day is celebrated to create awareness regarding this disease and to encourage those who struggle to live with this disease.
- Thalassaemia is a genetic disease that passes from parents to their offspring. Its symptoms start appearing 3-4 months after the birth of the child.
- People suffering from Thalassaemia have less haemoglobin than normal, which leads to anemia. Red blood cells have a lifespan of 120 days. But due to this disease, the age of red blood cells remains for only 20 days. Because of this, they need blood after a few days in case of severe anemia.
- The day came into existence in 1994.
- Theme 2022: “Be Aware. Share, Care: Working with the global community as to improve thalassemia knowledge”
Topic: State News/Madhya Pradesh
3. Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched Ladli Laxmi scheme 2.0.
- While launching the scheme, he said that the MP government will pay the complete fee of Ladli Laxmis if they take admission in medical, IIT, IIM, or any other institute.
- The CM announced that MP government will give 25,000 rupees in two installments to the Ladli Laxmis who join the college.
- He also announced that Ladli Laxmi Panchayat status will be given to the panchayats, who work for the betterment of girls.
- He launched Ladli e-Sawad App. MP will every year celebrate Ladli Laxmi Utsav from May 2 to May 12.
- MP government is implementing Ladli Laxmi Yojana from 1st April 2007.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International Appointments
4. John Lee Ka-chiu will be Hong Kong’s next chief executive.
- John Lee will replace Carrie Lam. John Lee was the sole candidate for the 2022 Chief Executive Election of Hong Kong.
- John Lee is a former security minister. Lee resigned from his position to contest the election.
- Lee will assume office on 1 July, the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s handover to China from Britain.
- Hong Kong:
- It is officially the Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
- It is a city on the eastern Pearl River Delta in South China.
5. Carlos Alcaraz won Madrid Open title by defeating Alexander Zverev.
- Carlos Alcaraz defeated Alexander Zverev in the men's singles final.
- With this win, Carlos moved up to sixth in the world rankings.
- Alcaraz defeated Rafael Nadal and world No. 1 Novak Djokovic before reaching the final.
- He also won the title of Miami Master last month. He has won four titles this year so far.
- Earlier, Ons Jabeur of Tunisia won the women's singles title and became the first African player to win a WTA 1000 event.
- She was the first Arab player, male or female, to reach the world's top 10.
- The pair of Wesley Koolhof and Neal Skupski won the men's doubles tennis title at the Madrid Open.
- Carlos Alcaraz is Spanish tennis player. Alexander Zverev is a German tennis player.
- Madrid Open:
- It is one of the nine tournaments that are part of ATP Masters 1000.
- It is played on a clay court in May in Madrid, the capital of Spain.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
6. G7 countries have pledged to phase out imports of oil from Russia.
- The G7 countries made this announcement on 08 May 2022 during their third meeting of 2022.
- However, G7 leaders have not specified what commitments each country will make to phase out dependence on Russian energy.
- G7 leaders commemorated the end of World War 2 in Europe, which happened on 08 May 1945 after German forces surrendered to the allied powers.
- Group of Seven (G7):
- G7 is an international intergovernmental economic organization of the world’s seven advanced economies.
- Members- Canada, Japan, Italy, France, Germany, the United States, and the United Kingdom
- Its first meeting was held in 1975 in France. Its headquarters is located in Taormina, Italy.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
7. The three social security schemes (PMJJBY, PMSBY, and APY) have completed seven years on 09 May 2022.
- These three schemes were launched by PM Modi on 9th May 2015 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) and Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) are two insurance schemes.
- These provide access to low-cost life or accidental insurance cover to the people.
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY) provides saving opportunities to people in the present so that they get a regular pension in old age.
- PM Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY):
- Launched on 9 May 2015.
- Provides affordable insurance for poor & underprivileged people of 18 to 70 years.
- Risk coverage under scheme is Rs 2 lakh for accidental death & full disability and Rs 1 lakh for partial disability.
- Offered by Public Sector General Insurance Companies or any other General Insurance Company.
- PM Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY):
- Launched on 9 May 2015. Age limit for this scheme is 18-50 years.
- Provides life cover of Rs 2 lakhs in case of death of the insured, due to any reason.
- Annual premium amount for this scheme is Rs 330. The life cover of the member ends at the age of 55 years.
- Offered by Life Insurance Corporation and all other life insurers companies.
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY):
- Launched on 9 May 2015.
- Administered by Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA).
- Open to all bank account holders in age group of 18 to 40 years.
- Subscribers receive guaranteed minimum monthly pension of Rs 1000 or Rs 2000 or Rs 3000 or Rs 4000 or Rs 5000 at the age of 60 years.
Topic: National Appointments
8. Justices Sudhanshu Dhulia and JB Pardiwala have been appointed by President as Supreme Court judges.
- Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia was Chief Justice of Guwahati High Court.
- Justice Jamshed Burjor Pardiwala was a Judge in Gujarat High Court.
- Justice Nongmeikapam Kotiswar Singh will carry out duties of the Chief Justice of Guwahati High Court.
- He is the senior-most Judge of Guwahati High Court.
- Chief Justice of High Court:
- The President appoints the Chief Justice of the High Court after consultation with the Chief Justice of India and the governor of the state.
- A Chief Justice of High Court holds the office until he completes the age of 62 years.
Topic: Important Days
9. World Red Cross Day: 08 May
- World Red Cross Day is observed every year on 08 May.
- The day is observed to celebrate the good work that Red Cross Movement does around the world.
- The objective of the day is to pay tribute to the volunteers for their contribution to the people in need.
- The day marks the birth anniversary of Henri Dunant. Henri Dunant founded the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- He is the recipient of first Nobel Peace Prize.
- World Red Cross Day was officially named World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day in 1984.
- The theme for World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day 2022 is “Be Human Kind”.
10. Olympian Avinash Sable broke Indian runner Bahadur Prasad’s record.
- Sable has broken the record in the Running Track meet in San Juan Capistrano, California, USA.
- He now holds three national records in 5000m, half-marathon and 3000m steeplechase.
- At the meet in San Juan, Olympic champion Jakob Ingebrigtsen (Norwegian runner) achieved top spot with a time of 13:02.03.
- Former Indian runner Bahadur Prasad had set a national record of 5000 metres with timing of 13:29.70 in June 1992.
- Avinash now broke this national record with a timing of 13:25.65.
- About Avinash Sable:
- He was born in Maharashtra. At present, he is ranked world No. 16. He specializes in 3000 metres steeplechase.
- In 2019, he became the first Indian who qualified for the 3000m steeplechase final at the World Championships.
- He broke his own national record for the 8th time at the Indian Grand Prix 2 in March 2022.
11. Cyclonic system developed near the Andaman Islands in India will be named Asani if it develops into a cyclone.
- The cyclonic system may develop into a low pressure area by May 9.
- After changing into deep depression on May 11, it can develop into a cyclonic storm.
- Its landfall prediction has not been made yet. It may hit Odisha and West Bengal and then the Satkhira district of Bangladesh.
- In its forecast on 05 May, Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said that a low pressure area is likely to form over South Andaman Sea and surrounding areas on 06 May.
- Cyclone Asani will be the first cyclone of the 2022 (2022 North Indian Ocean cyclone season). The name Asani has been given by Sri Lanka.
- A cyclone is a low-pressure system with very high winds swirling around it.
- Conditions favourable for the formation of tropical cyclones are sufficiently warm sea surface, atmospheric instability, high humidity in low to medium levels of the troposphere and sufficient Coriolis force to maintain a low pressure center.
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
12. Ministry of Home Affairs and SECI sign an MoU for promoting green energy initiative.
- An MoU was signed between Ministry of Home Affairs and Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) in New Delhi.
- This is an umbrella MoU that aims for collaboration between the two for jointly undertaking installation of Solar Rooftop PV Power Plants.
- It is a step towards government efforts to promote renewable energy thereby moving towards a carbon neutral economy.
- Ministry of Home Affairs has initiated a proposal to install Solar energy panels in the campuses of CAPFs and NSG.
- Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI):
- It is a company of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy that was established to implement the National Solar Mission.
- It is the only Central PSU dedicated to the solar energy sector.
Topic: Space and IT
13. Venus mission expected to be launched by December 2024: ISRO Chairman
- The Chairman of ISRO announced that the mission to Venus is likely to be launched by December 2024.
- The aim of the mission is to study the atmosphere of the Venus. Venus’ atmosphere is toxic and corrosive due to the presence of sulphuric acid clouds around the planet.
- NASA had announced two new robotic missions to Venus- DaVinci Plus and Veritas.
- Venus is Earth’s nearest planetary neighbour. It is the brightest planet in the night sky.
- It is called morning or an evening star as it sometimes appears in the eastern sky before sunrise and sometimes in the western sky just after sunset.
- Venus has no moon or satellite of its own.
- It rotates from east to west while the Earth rotates from west to east.