- 1. Scientists designed hybrid materials and processes for carbon capture.
- 2. A two day National Conference on Cooperation Policy begins in New Delhi.
- 3. International Day of Human Space Flight is observed each year on 12 April.
- 4. Three Indian boxers won gold medals at 2022 Thailand Open International Boxing Tournament in Phuket, Thailand.
- 5. Ecuador has become first country to give legal rights to wild animals.
- 6. First-ever Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Award will be given to PM Narendra Modi.
- 7. Shehbaz Sharif has taken oath as 23rd Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- 8. Dr Manoj Soni has been appointed as new chairman of UPSC.
- 9. Indian Coast Guard commissioned advanced light helicopter MK III squadron.
- 10. President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated Madhavpur Ghed Fair in Gujarat.
- 11. NITI Aayog released the State Energy and Climate Index (SECI)-Round I.
- 12. Nation paid tribute to social reformer Mahatma Phule on his birth anniversary.
- 13. National Safe Motherhood Day: 11 April
- 14. India successfully flight-tested Anti-Tank Guided Missile HELINA.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: New Developments
1. Scientists designed hybrid materials and processes for carbon capture.
- A group of scientists Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT), Hyderabad have designed a hybrid material that can absorb greenhouse gas methane.
- Scientists have also designed a facility to test such materials that will help in further research related to carbon capture.
- Scientists are exploring innovative methods of absorbing greenhouse gases and converting them into useful substances.
- Scientists have designed a process for capturing carbon dioxide and converting it into high purity hydrogen.
- The research has been published in the Elsevier journal Chemical Engineering and Processing.
- Under a Mission Innovation Project, the Fluidized bed reactor system (FBR) facility has been recently commissioned at CSIR-IICT, Hyderabad.
- It will help in testing the performance of dual-functional materials for SESMR in the fluidized bed reactor system.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
2. A two day National Conference on Cooperation Policy begins in New Delhi.
- Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the National Conference on Cooperation Policy on 12 April.
- Officials of Central, States and Union Territories' Governments along with heads of around 40 Cooperative and National Institutions took part in this conference.
- During the conference, six important themes covering policy framework, reforms for strengthening governance, making cooperatives vibrant economic entities, promoting social cooperatives and the role of cooperatives in social security will be discussed.
- The discussion at this conference will help the government in framing a new robust National Cooperation Policy.
- The Ministry of Cooperation is also planning to develop a national database for co-operatives. It will help states, central ministries, and major institutions in creating policies for co-operatives.
- The government is also working on a model by-law to govern around 63,000 Primary Agricultural Credit Societies (PACS).
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
3. International Day of Human Space Flight is observed each year on 12 April.
- In its resolution of April 2011, UN General Assembly declared 12 April as the International Day of Human Space Flight.
- Soviet citizen Yuri Gagarin carried out first human space flight on 12 April 1961.
- Sputnik I, the first man-made Earth satellite, was launched into orbit on October 4, 1957.
- On June 16, 1963, Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman to orbit the Earth.
- On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first person to set foot on the Moon's surface.
- On 10 October 1967, the "Magna Carta of Space" came into force.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. Three Indian boxers won gold medals at 2022 Thailand Open International Boxing Tournament in Phuket, Thailand.
- Names of these three Indians are Govind Sahani, Ananta Chopde and Sumit.
- Four other Indian boxers won silver medals. They are Monika, Amit Panghal, Varinder Singh and Ashish Kumar.
- Manisha, Pooja and Bhagyabati Kachari won bronze medals.15-member Indian contingent won total 10 medals.
2022 Thailand Open International Boxing Tournament
Topic: Environment and Ecology
5. Ecuador has become first country to give legal rights to wild animals.
- Highest court of Ecuador decided to recognize the rights while hearing the case of Estrellita, a woolly monkey.
- It is believed that this is the first time a court has applied rights of nature to an animal.
- Rights of nature recognize legal rights of the ecosystem to exist and regenerate.
- Ecuador earlier became the world’s first country to recognize nature as a legal entity.
- Bolivia, New Zealand, Panama, Chile, Mexico, Colombia and Bangladesh have also recognized the rights of nature.
- Woolly monkeys are found in northern countries of South America. These countries are Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Peru.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
6. First-ever Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Award will be given to PM Narendra Modi.
- The award has been started in the memory of Lata Mangeshkar who passed away in February 2022.
- The award ceremony will be organized on 24th April at Shanmukhanand Hall of Mumbai.
- After the award ceremony, a musical show called ‘Swarlatanjali’ will be also organized.
- Singer Rahul Despande, actress Asha Parekh, actor Jackie Shroff and Mumbai Dabbawalas (represented by Nutan Tiffin Suppliers) will also receive the award.
- The award will be given annually. It will be given to a person who has made contribution to the nation and its people.
Topic: International Appointments
7. Shehbaz Sharif has taken oath as 23rd Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- He is the chief of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz. Parliament elected him as the new PM on 11 April 2022.
- Before the start of voting, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf lawmakers walked out of the National Assembly (legislature of Pakistan).
- Shah Mahmood Qureshi was fighting the election against Shehbaz Sharif.
- Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf is the political party of Imran Khan, former PM of Pakistan.
- Shehbaz Sharif is the brother of Nawaz Sharif, former PM of Pakistan.
Topic: National Appointments
8. Dr Manoj Soni has been appointed as new chairman of UPSC.
- He became India’s youngest vice-chancellor of a university (MS University, Vadodara) in 2005.
- He has been associated with Anoopam Mission of Swaminarayan sect.
- He taught international relations at Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- He has also served as vice-chancellor of Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University (BAOU) in Ahmedabad.
- He has done research on "Post-Cold War International Systemic Transition and Indo-US Relations".
- He is the author of the book “Understanding the Global Political Earthquake”.
- UPSC Chairman and Members:
- President appoints the chairman and members of UPSC.
- They hold office for a term of six years or till they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- Constitution does not specify the composition of UPSC. It leaves the composition to discretion of President.
9. Indian Coast Guard commissioned advanced light helicopter MK III squadron.
- Advanced light MK III helicopters are equipped with modern surveillance radar and electro-optical equipment.
- Traffic alert and collision avoidance systems, advanced communication systems, and a removable Medical Intensive Care Unit are the main parts of this helicopter.
- The 830 squadron has been commissioned by ICG Director General VS Pathania in Odisha.
- Four Advanced light MK III helicopters are placed at Bhubaneswar for covering the entire area of West Bengal and Orissa.
- It will strengthen maritime security and help in long-range maritime reconnaissance.
- Indian Coast Guard was established on 18 August 1978. It is an armed force responsible for maritime search and rescue.
Topic: Art and Culture
10. President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated Madhavpur Ghed Fair in Gujarat.
- The five-day-long Madhavpur Ghed Fair at Madhavpur Ghed, Porbandar has been inaugurated.
- The Government of Gujarat in association with the Ministry of Culture organize this fair every year.
- It is organized to celebrate the sacred union of Lord Krishna and Rukmini.
- The Madhavpur Fair connects Gujarat with the northeast region in a special bond.
- Rann Utsav, International Kite Festival (Uttarayan), Shamlaji Fair, Bhavnath Mahadev Mela, Modhera Dance Festival, Bhadrapad Fair, and Vautha Fair are some important fairs of Gujarat.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
11. NITI Aayog released the State Energy and Climate Index (SECI)-Round I.
- Under this Index, the states and UTs have been categorized into three groups: Front Runners, Achievers, and Aspirants.
- In the large states category, Gujarat, Kerala, and Punjab are the top three performers.
- Goa, emerged as the top-performing state in the smaller states category, followed by Tripura, and Manipur.
- Among UTs, Chandigarh, Delhi, and Daman & Diu/Dadra & Nagar Haveli are the top performers.
- The State Energy & Climate Index (SECI) Round I gave ranking to states on the performance of 6 parameters.
- These are Discoms’ Performance, Access, Affordability and Reliability of Energy, Clean Energy Initiatives, Energy Efficiency, Environmental Sustainability, and new initiatives
- State Energy & Climate Index Round-I will help in starting a dialogue with the states on the energy sector for improvement in the policy.
Topic: Personality in News
12. Nation paid tribute to social reformer Mahatma Phule on his birth anniversary.
- A great social reformer, visionary thinker and educationist, Jyotiba Phule’s birth anniversary is celebrated every year on 11 April.
- Jyotiba Phule had worked for social equality, women empowerment and boosting education.
- Jyotirao Phule is also famous as Mahatma Phule. He was born 195 years ago on 11 April 1827. He died on 28 November 1890.
- He founded the Satyashodhak Samaj and the Society of Truth Seekers. He opened the first school for girls in 1848 in Pune.
- Jyotiba Phule worked for the eradication of untouchability and the caste system in India
- He launched many campaigns against female infanticide and raise the issue of the water crisis.
- On his birth anniversary, a scooter rally was held in Nagpur and various other programmes in different parts of Maharashtra.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
13. National Safe Motherhood Day: 11 April
- National Safe Motherhood Day is celebrated every year on 11 April in India.
- It is observed to raise awareness about the proper health care and maternity facilities for pregnant and lactating women.
- The Indian government declared the day of Kasturba Gandhi’s birthday, April 11, as National Safe Motherhood Day at the request of the White Ribbon Alliance in 2003.
- The theme of the National Safe Motherhood Day 2022 is "Remain at home amid coronavirus, protect mother and infant from coronavirus".
- India was the first country to declare 11 April as the National Safe Motherhood Day.
- As per the Registrar General of India, the Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) of India has declined from 113 in 2016-18 to 103 in 2017-19.
- India is on verge of achieving the Sustainable Development Goal target of a Maternal Mortality Ratio of 70 per lakh live births by 2030.
(Source: News on AIR)
14. India successfully flight-tested Anti-Tank Guided Missile HELINA.
- Anti-Tank Guided Missile ‘HELINA’ flight test was successfully conducted at high-altitude ranges.
- The flight test was jointly conducted by DRDO, the Indian Army and Indian Air Force (IAF).
- The flight test is conducted by an Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) and the missile was launched in the ‘Lock on Before Launch mode’.
- Anti-Tank Guided Missile ‘HELINA’ is one of the most advanced anti-tank weapons in the world.
(Source: News on AIR)