- 1. Siachen Day: 13 April
- 2. SJVN has signed MoU with BHEL and REMC Limited to develop renewable energy projects for Indian Railways.
- 3. PM Modi will inaugurate Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya on 14 April 2022.
- 4. Union Ministry of Culture has organized a two-day conference on April 12 and 13, 2022, in New Delhi.
- 5. 'SVANidhi se Samriddhi' initiative launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- 6. Jamshedpur will host the first Khelo India National Ranking Women Archery Tournament.
- 7. Government of India and ADB have signed a $2 million Project Readiness Financing (PRF) Loan.
- 8. National Delphic Games for Arts and Cultures will be hosted by India in 2023.
- 9. National Mineral Development Corporation wins two Awards at 80th SKOCH Summit 2022.
- 10. During Jan-Mar 2022, the number of domestic patent filings surpassed the number of international patent filings in India.
- 11. ‘Kadam’- India’s first polycentric prosthetic knee launched.
- 12. Actor Shiv Kumar Subrahmaniam passed away.
- 13. Indigenously built Dornier 228 aircraft took off its first commercial flight from Assam to Arunachal Pradesh.
- 14. India and US signed bilateral space situational awareness arrangements.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: Important Days
1. Siachen Day: 13 April
- It is observed by Siachen Warriors Brigade every year on 13 April.
- It is observed to honour the courage shown by the Indian Army during “Operation Meghdoot”.
- Operation Meghdoot was launched by the Indian Army on April 13, 1984.
- Under this operation, the Indian Army took control of the entire Siachen glacier including the main passes of the Saltoro ridge, Sia La and Bilafond La.
- The Siachen Glacier is the highest battleground on the earth. It is spread over an area of 76 kilometres.
- India and Pakistan maintain a permanent military presence at a height of over 6,000 metres.
2. SJVN has signed MoU with BHEL and REMC Limited to develop renewable energy projects for Indian Railways.
- The MoU is a step toward meeting Indian Railway’s target of achieving net-zero carbon emission by 2030.
- SJVN currently has 12 solar power projects of 3,065 MW capacity. These projects are in various stages of development.
- SJVN is a joint venture of the Government of India and the Government of Himachal Pradesh.
- REMC Limited is a joint venture Company of Indian Railways & RITES Limited.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL):
- BHEL is an Indian public sector company and India’s largest power generation equipment manufacturer.
- Its CEO is Nalin Singhal. Its headquarters is in New Delhi.
Topic: National News
3. PM Modi will inaugurate Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya on 14 April 2022.
- It is located at the Teen Murti complex in New Delhi. It is a tribute to every PM of India.
- Its logo represents the hands of the people of India holding the Dharma Chakra, a symbol of nation and democracy.
- It tells India's post-independence story through the lives and contributions of prime ministers.
- It integrates Block I, the erstwhile Teen Murti Bhawan, with Block II, the newly constructed building. It contains a total of 43 galleries.
4. Union Ministry of Culture has organized a two-day conference on April 12 and 13, 2022, in New Delhi.
- Union Home and Cooperation Minister Shri Amit Shah inaugurated the conference.
- Amrit Samagam is the name of the conference of Tourism and Culture Ministers of the country.
- Government is celebrating period of 25 years from Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav to the Centenary year of independence as Azadi Ka Amrit Kaal.
- On March 12, 2021 (on the 91st anniversary of Dandi March), PM Modi started 75 week-long Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav from Kashi Gandhi Ashram.
- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav:
- It is a flagship initiative of the Central and State Governments.
- It has been launched to commemorate 75 years of India’s independence.
- Its objective is to recall the contribution of the freedom fighters and to create a vision for lndia@2047.
Topic: Government schemes and Initiatives
5. 'SVANidhi se Samriddhi' initiative launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- In 126 cities across 14 states and union territories, the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has launched the 'SVANidhi se Samriddhi' programme.
- The expansion of the scheme will benefit 28 lakh street vendors and their families.
- According to the Ministry, SVANidhi se Samriddhi is an additional PM-SVANidhi program, which was launched in 125 cities in Phase 1 in January 2022, covering about 35 lakh street vendors and their families.
- After the program's success in Phase1, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has launched the program in additional cities with a target of totalling 20 lakh plan approvals for the financial year 2022.
- Since June 2020, the Ministry has been implementing Prime Minister Street Vendors AtmaNirbhar Nidhi scheme.
- ‘‘SVANidhi se Samriddhi” program was started to provide social security benefits to street vendors for their overall development and socio-economic upliftment.
6. Jamshedpur will host the first Khelo India National Ranking Women Archery Tournament.
- The Sports Authority of India has given Rs 75 lakh to organize the Khelo India National Ranking Women Archery Tournament over six phases at Tata Archery Academy.
- The first phase of the tournament has been started on April 12 and 13 at Jamshedpur, Jharkhand.
- The tournament will be conducted in recurve and compound events in senior, junior, and cadet categories, and will be conducted in accordance with World Archery Rules.
- The tournament is being organised by the Archery Association of India (AAI) in association with the Jharkhand Archery Association and TATA Steel.
- Based on the recently concluded National Championships, the top 32 Recurve and Compound archers in the Senior, Junior, and Cadet categories have been selected to participate in the tournament.
- The six Women’s National Ranking tournaments will be held every alternate month with the final phase scheduled for December 2022
- The best 16 archers will be ranked based on their cumulative points from the five phases in order to compete in the final phase in December.
7. Government of India and ADB have signed a $2 million Project Readiness Financing (PRF) Loan.
- PRF Loan is for designing climate-resilient urban infrastructure and strengthening institutional capacity in 16 district headquarter towns (DHTs) in Nagaland.
- The loan signed by the government of India and ADB is also for improving municipal resource mobilization in 16 district headquarters towns (DHTs) in Nagaland.
- The PRF is for the proposed Nagaland Urban Infrastructure Development Project.
- PRF loan will assist in the design of water supply, sanitation, solid waste management and urban roads in 16 DHTs with climate-resilient features.
Topic: Art and Culture
8. National Delphic Games for Arts and Cultures will be hosted by India in 2023.
- The games will cover arts and cultures from 36 states and Union Territories.
- 25 Indian States have already come together with State Delphic Councils to show their distinct cultures.
- National Delphic Games in India will show competitions, performances and exhibitions in 6 different art categories given below.
Musical Arts and Sounds
Visual Arts and Crafts
Performing Arts and acrobatics
Social Arts and communications
Language Arts and Rhetoric
Ecological Arts & Architecture
- The winners of Delphic Games in India will represent India at International Delphic Games to be held in 2026.
- Seven International Delphic Games have been organized across Russia, Georgia, Germany, Malaysia, Philippines, South Korea, and South Africa.
- India has took part in three International Delphic Games in Philippines, Malaysia and South Korea.
- Delphic Games are also called twin sisters of the Olympic Games. They are inspired by games held in Delphi in ancient Greece.
- International Delphic Council is based in Berlin, Germany. It was formed in 1994.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. National Mineral Development Corporation wins two Awards at 80th SKOCH Summit 2022.
- National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) won one gold and one silver award at the 80th SKOCH Summit.
- SKOCH Summit has been conducted under the theme ‘State of BFSI & PSUs’.
- In the social responsibility category, NMDC has won gold for the project ‘Promotion of Technical Education & Skill Development in the Dantewada District.
- In the digital inclusion category, NMDC has won silver for Project ‘Kalpataru’ for ERP implementation.
- The SKOCH Awards are given to the winners based on the application submitted on their website.
- National Mineral Development Corporation has been also awarded the ‘3 SKOCH – Order of Merit Awards’ for Project Kalpataru and Project Safety First.
- NMDC is the largest Iron Ore producer in India. It is a Central Public Sector Enterprise under the Ministry of Steel. It is headquartered in Hyderabad.
Topic: National News
10. During Jan-Mar 2022, the number of domestic patent filings surpassed the number of international patent filings in India.
- For the first time in the last 11 years, the number of domestic patent filings surpassed the number of international patent filings.
- In the Quarter Jan-Mar 2022, a total of 19796 patent applications were filed out of which 10706 were filed by Indian applicants while 9090 were filed by non-Indian applicants.
- Grant for patents in 2021-22 has increased nearly five times as compared to 2014-15.
- In the last seven-year, the Filing of patents has increased from 42763 in 2014-15 to 66440 in 2021-22.
- India’s ranking in Global Innovation Index has increased to 46th in 2021.
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) and Intellectual Property (IP) office has created awareness about the Intellectual Property (IP) in the society.
- National IPR policy and Government initiatives have helped in increasing the number of patent filings.
- The patent in India is governed by the Patents Act of 1970. The main aim of the patent is to encourage innovation and research and development.
Topic: New Developments
11. ‘Kadam’- India’s first polycentric prosthetic knee launched.
- The researchers of IIT Madras have launched Kadam- First polycentric prosthetic knee of India.
- This indigenously developed knee aims to improve the quality of life of above-knee amputees. It will provide stability thereby reducing the risk of stumbling.
- It also aims to increase their access to education, community participation, livelihood opportunities, etc.
- Kadam has been developed by a team at IIT Madras in association with the Society for Biomedical Technology (SBMT) and Mobility India.
- Kadam has advantages over a hinge-joint because it has multiple axes of rotation, and allows maximum knee flexion of 160 degrees which makes it easier for above-knee amputees to sit in cramped spaces.
- It is made of aluminium alloy and stainless steel. It is affordable and is of high quality and performance.
Topic: Personality in News
12. Actor Shiv Kumar Subrahmaniam passed away.
- 62 year old veteran actor and writer Shiv Kumar Subrahmaniam passed away in Mumbai.
- He wrote critically acclaimed films like “Parinda”, “1942: A love story” and “Chameli”.
- He acted in many films like 2 States, Hichki, Stanley ka Dabba, Kaminey and Meenakshi Sundareshwar.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
13. Indigenously built Dornier 228 aircraft took off its first commercial flight from Assam to Arunachal Pradesh.
- Alliance Air's Dornier 228 aircraft took off its first flight from Dibrugarh to Pasighat. It has been made by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- Alliance Air has become India’s first commercial airline to fly a made-in-India aircraft for civil operations.
- The 17-seater aircraft can fly even at night. Till now, Dornier 228 planes were used by the armed forces only.
- Alliance Air had signed an agreement with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited to lease two 17-seater Dornier 228 aircraft.
- The airline service will boost air connectivity in the northeastern region.
- The airline services will be further expanded to Tezu, Mechuka, Ziro and Tuting in Arunachal Pradesh.
14. India and US signed bilateral space situational awareness arrangements.
- This agreement has been signed between the Department of Space from India and the Department of Defence of the USA on the sidelines of the India-US 2+2 ministerial dialogue.
- Under this agreement, India and US will share information related to space and enhance cooperation in the field of space.
- India and US will also start discussions on Defence Space and Defence Artificial Intelligence.
- India and US are also working together on unmanned aerial vehicles through Defence Technology and Trade Initiative.
- This agreement has added a new dimension to the growing relationship between both countries.
- India-US space cooperation:
- NASA and ISRO are collaborating on India's Mars Orbiter Mission and for a dual-band Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR)
- A bilateral Joint Working Group on Civil Space Cooperation is a forum for discussion on joint activities in space between both countries.
- India and US are enhancing cooperation in different fields such as global navigation satellite systems, international space station, space debris mediation, etc.