- 1. Indian-American politician Nikki Haley launched her campaign for the US presidency.
- 2. Pakistan’s economic crisis became more severe as Milk prices jumped to 210 rupees per litre.
- 3. HAL released the design of the scale model of the Hindustan Lead-in Fighter Trainer (HLFT-42).
- 4. RBI has announced its second global hackathon, HARBINGER 2023 - Innovation for Transformation.
- 5. India's first electric AC double-decker bus inaugurated in Mumbai.
- 6. ‘Divya Kala Mela’ is being organized by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
- 7. Air India has signed an agreement to acquire 250 aircraft from Airbus of France.
- 8. Painter Lalitha Lajmi died on 13 February 2023 at the age of 90.
- 9. Mizoram CM presented a budget of Rs 14,209 crores.
- 10. Government expects a record foodgrain production of 3235.54 Lakh Tonnes in 2022-24.
- 11. A Science Center and Planetarium will be constructed in Kota, Rajasthan.
- 12. Retail inflation reached to three-month high level of 6.52% in January 2023.
- 13. Amit Shah honored Haryana police with President’s color award on 14 February.
- 14. Aniket Sunil Talati elected as President of ICAI.
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: Personality in News
1. Indian-American politician Nikki Haley launched her campaign for the US presidency.
- Nikki Haley has announced that she will make a bid for the Presidential election in 2024.
- She has become the first Republican to challenge former US President Donald Trump to become her party's nominee for the White House in 2024.
- Nikki Haley was born in Bamberg, South Carolina and she is the first female governor of a state.
- If she wins the Republican presidential nomination in 2024 she will be the first woman and first Asian-American at the top of the GOP ticket.
- Haley has consistently got third or fourth place behind Trump and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis in the election.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: India and its neighbours
2. Pakistan’s economic crisis became more severe as Milk prices jumped to 210 rupees per litre.
- Pakistan is suffering from a severe economic crisis. The prices of cooking and other critical necessities have increased sharply.
- According to a report, the price of milk has increased to PKR 210 from PKR 190 previously.
- The price of chicken meat has increased to PKR 700-780 from PKR 620-650 per kg last week.
- Pakistan's foreign exchange reserves have fallen to their lowest level of USD 3 billion since 1983.
- The Pakistani government has signed a multibillion-dollar bailout package with IMF to save the crippling economy.
- The main reasons for Pakistan’s economic crisis are:
- During the pandemic, Pakistan’s economy contracted by nearly 1 percent. The GDP growth rate has slowed down.
- The Russia –Ukraine war increased the prices of imports products such as food and fuel.
- Foreign exchange reserves has declined continuously. Forex is available for only a few months of imports.
- The value of Pakistan currency has depreciated significantly in recent years.
- The inflation in Pakistan has reached an all-time high.
- Government subsidies have increased the budget deficit.
- The political environment has been highly volatile.
Topic: National News
3. HAL released the design of the scale model of the Hindustan Lead-in Fighter Trainer (HLFT-42).
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) released the design at the 14th edition of Aero India held in Bengaluru.
- The aircraft has a unique tail art of the Hindu God Maruti.
- HLFT-42 is the ‘Next Gen Supersonic Trainer’. It will play a critical role in modern combat aircraft training.
- HAL will also showcase its range of products/technologies centred on the theme ‘Innovate. Collaborate. Lead’.
- The Do-228 will be displayed for use in commercial aviation.
Topic: Banking System
4. RBI has announced its second global hackathon, HARBINGER 2023 - Innovation for Transformation.
- Its theme is 'Inclusive Digital Services'. The winner will get Rs 40 lakh.
- The runner-up will get a prize of Rs 20 lakh each.
- Registration for the hackathon will start from 22 February, 2023.
- RBI has invited innovative ideas in four segments.
- RBI has invited fintechs to develop solutions that have the potential to make digital financial services accessible to the differently-abled and facilitate efficient compliance.
- Fintechs have been invited to develop solutions that have the potential to extend the reach of Central Bank Digital Currencies and enhance the scalability of blockchains.
- RBI announced its first hackathon in November 2021. Its results were declared in June 2022.
- It had received 363 proposals from teams within India and from 22 other countries.
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
5. India's first electric AC double-decker bus inaugurated in Mumbai.
- On 13 February, India’s first electric air-conditioned (AC) double-decker bus has been inaugurated by Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport Undertaking (BEST).
- This double-decker e-bus, manufactured by Switch Mobility, was first launched by Union Minister Nitin Gadkari in August, 2022.
- The bus will ply between Kurla Bus Depot and Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC).
- The model’s name, Switch EiV22, has a 231-kWh battery with a range of up to 250 km.
- Tickets will be priced as before, a minimum fare of Rs 6 will be charged for a distance of 5 km.
- The cost of each bus is ₹2 crores and each bus can carry about 90 passengers.
- It is equipped with CCTV cameras and automatic doors, and can be charged in 80 minutes.
- BEST will save 26 million litres of diesel annually and their carbon footprint will be reduced by 41% with the induction of these 200 buses.
Topic: Art and Culture
6. ‘Divya Kala Mela’ is being organized by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
- ‘Divya Kala Mela’ is being organized from16th to 25th February, 2023 in Mumbai.
- This is a unique event showcasing products and craftsmanship of Divyang entrepreneurs/artisans from across the country.
- The event will provide an engaging experience to the visitors as vibrant products of handicrafts, handlooms, embroidery and canned food etc. from different parts of the country.
- In this, around 200 Divyang artisans/artists and entrepreneurs from around 24 States/Union Territories will showcase their products and skills.
- Its broad range will include the following products: Home Decor & Lifestyle, Clothing, Stationery & Eco-friendly Products, Packaged Food & Organic Products, Toys & Gifts, Personal Accessories- Jewellery, Clutch Bags etc.
- It will be an opportunity for all to be 'Vocal for Local' and with extra determination can see/buy products made by Divyang artists/artisans.
- On 16 February, the event will be inaugurated by Dr. Virendra Kumar, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|January Monthly Current Affairs||December Monthly Current Affairs|
|November Monthly Current Affairs||October Monthly Current Affairs|
7. Air India has signed an agreement to acquire 250 aircraft from Airbus of France.
- PM Modi said that the deal shows the strategic partnership between New Delhi and Paris is being strengthened.
- According to PM Modi, India will emerge as the third-largest global market in the aviation sector in the future.
- He said that India can become a Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) hub for the aviation sector.
- He addressed a virtual meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron on the agreement between Air India and Airbus.
- He said that the Indian aviation sector will require over 2,000 aircrafts in the next 15 years.
- PM Modi highlighted the initiatives taken under the Regional Connectivity Scheme-UDAN and said the number of airports in the country has increased from 74 to 147 in the last eight years.
- PM Modi also recalled the recent decision by French aerospace engine manufacturer SAFRAN to establish its largest MRO facility in India.
- This facility will be set up to service aircraft engines for both Indian and international carriers.
Topic: Personality in News
8. Painter Lalitha Lajmi died on 13 February 2023 at the age of 90.
- Lalitha Lajmi was the sister of the late actor-filmmaker Guru Dutt.
- She was an unparalleled water-colourist. Through her works, she narrated a layered history of the modern Indian woman in the decades that followed Independence.
- Bollywood actor Javed Khan Amrohi passed away on 14 February 2023.
- He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor in 2001 for the film 'Lagaan'.
Topic: State News/ Mizoram
9. Mizoram CM presented a budget of Rs 14,209 crores.
- Mizoram Chief Minister Zoramthanga presented a zero-deficit annual budget for the financial year 2023-24.
- No new taxes have been laid in the budget. The budget tabled supplementary demands for the current fiscal (2022-2023) of Rs 3,265.69 crore.
- The budget has allocated Rs 595 crore to Socio-Economic Development Policy (SEDP) for 2023-24 fiscal.
- Socio-Economic Development Policy is a programme for sustainable development through exploration and judicious use of resources.
- The government will provide financial assistance of Rs 50,000 each to 60,000 families under the family-oriented programme.
- The first instalment of the assistance amounting to Rs 25,000 each has been provided to 5,996 beneficiaries.
- Out of the total budget, 21.90 per cent (Rs 3,141.19 crore) has been allocated to capital expenditure and 78.10 per cent (Rs 11,068.76 crore) to revenue expenditure.
- Rs 60 crore has been allocated to MLA Local Area Development Fund.
- The government has allocated Rs 1.20 crore for higher and technical education.
- State's Own Tax Revenue (SOTR) is expected to increase by 35.32% from the current fiscal.
- The budget is zero-deficit as well as a non-surplus budget because total receipts is equal to the estimated total expenditures.
Topic: Agriculture and allied sectors
10. Government expects a record foodgrain production of 3235.54 Lakh Tonnes in 2022-24.
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has released the second advanced estimate of the production of major crops.
- The production of nutritious and coarse cereals is expected to be 527.26 Lakh Tonnes which is 16 lakh tonnes more than in 2021-22.
- The production of wheat is expected to be 1121.82 Lakh Tonnes.
- The government expects a record production of 278.10 Lakh Tonnes of pulses.
- Rice production is expected to be 1308.37 Lakh Tonnes.
- Production of Maize in the country during 2022-23 is estimated at 346.13 lakh tonnes which is 8.83 lakh tonnes more than the previous year’s production.
- The production of Soybean and Rapeseed & Mustard is estimated at 139.75 LMT.
- Production of Cotton is estimated at 337.23 lakh bales and production of Jute & Mesta is estimated at 100.49 lakh bales.
1308.37 Lakh Tonnes
1121.82 Lakh Tonnes
Nutri / Coarse Cereals
527.26 Lakh Tonnes
346.13 Lakh Tonnes
22.04 Lakh Tonnes
278.10 Lakh Tonnes
100.56 Lakh Tonnes
337.23 Lakh bales
4687.89 Lakh Tonnes
Jute & Mesta
100.49 Lakh bales
Topic: State News/ Rajasthan
11. A Science Center and Planetarium will be constructed in Kota, Rajasthan.
- It will be one of the world’s best science centers and planetariums.
- It will be constructed with a cost of 35.25 cores rupees.
- The National Council of Science Museums and the Science and Technology Department of the Government of Rajasthan have a signed an MoU for building science centers and planetariums.
- Birla Planetarium in Jaipur is one of the most famous Planetariums in Rajasthan.
- Planetarium is a theatre for showing educational and entertaining shows about astronomy and the night sky.
- Birla Planetarium, Kolkata is the largest planetarium in Asia and the second-largest planetarium in the world.
- The Shanghai Astronomy Museum is the largest planetarium in the world in terms of building scale.
- Nehru Science Centre (NSC) in Mumbai is the largest interactive science centre in India.
Topic: Indian Economy
12. Retail inflation reached to three-month high level of 6.52% in January 2023.
- Retail inflation has increased to 6.52% mainly due to higher prices in the food basket, including cereals and protein-rich items.
- Retail inflation was 6.77% in October 2022. It was 5.72% in December 2022 and 6.01% in January 2022.
- Since January 2022, retail inflation has been over the Reserve Bank of India's upper tolerance level of 6% except for November and December 2022.
- In comparison to urban regions, where inflation was just 6%, rural areas had a higher rate of inflation at 6.85%.
- Headline CPI inflation declined by 105 basis points during November-December 2022.
- WPI inflation declined for the eighth consecutive month to 4.73% in January 2023.
- The wholesale price-based inflation eased mainly due to an easing in prices of manufactured items, fuel and power.
- WPI-based inflation rate was 4.95% in December 2022 and 13.68% in January 2022.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
13. Amit Shah honored Haryana police with President’s color award on 14 February.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah presented President’s color award to Haryana police for their outstanding service to the country.
- President of India approved this award on 17 January 2022 for Haryana Police’s good track record in commitment to professionalism and high rank in the service of humanity.
- The President’s Colour is the highest award given to a military unit for its exceptional service rendered to the Nation in peace and during the war.
- President’s Colours is also known as 'Nishaan'.
- Indian Navy was the first Indian Armed Force to receive President’s color by Dr Rajendra Prasad on 17 May 1951.
- In May 2022, Amit Shah presented the President’s color award to Assam Police.
- In August 2022, President’s color award was given to Tamil Nadu police.
Topic: National Appointments
14. Aniket Sunil Talati elected as President of ICAI.
- Aniket Talati has replaced Debashis Mitra as the President of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
- He has been elected President for 2023-24 term.
- Ranjeet Kumar Agarwal has been elected as Vice President of ICAI.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI):
- It was established in 1949 as a statutory body by the Chartered Accountants Act, 1949.
- It regulates the Chartered Accountancy profession in India. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- ICAI is the world’s second largest accounting body.