Daily Current Affairs and GK | 2 September 2022
- 1. Punjab government has directed to ban sarpanch proxies.
- 2. National Nutrition Week is observed from September 1 to September 7 in India.
- 3. Patchy proton auroras have been found in Mars' skies by United Arab Emirate's Mars Mission (EMM) and NASA's MAVEN probe.
- 4. Temple of Vedic Planetarium in West Bengal will become largest religious monument in the world.
- 5. Exercise Vostok - 2022 began at the training ground in the Eastern Military District of Russia.
- 6. Ranveer Singh received the best actor award at Filmfare Awards 2022.
- 7. Tejas Mark-2 Project has been approved by Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).
- 8. PM Modi commissioned INS Vikrant at Cochin Shipyard Limited in Kochi on 02 September 2022.
- 9. Union Minister Hardeep S. Puri presented Smart Solutions Challenge & Inclusive Cities Awards 2022.
- 10. Super Typhoon Hinnamnor is moving towards Japan.
- 11. Phase II of the Kochi Metro was inaugurated by PM Modi.
- 12. Sri Lanka and IMF reached a preliminary agreement for a 2.9 billion dollar loan.
- 13. World Bank released a paper titled ‘India Covid-19 Procurement: Challenges, Innovations, and Lessons’.
- 14. Dr Vasudha Gupta appointed as Director General of News Services Division of All India Radio.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: State News/ Punjab
1. Punjab government has directed to ban sarpanch proxies.
- Punjab government has announced that Husbands or relatives of elected women will not be allowed to attend any meeting of Panchayati raj institutions.
- In Punjab, the government implemented 50% reservation for women in Panchayati Raj institutions in 2017.
- The decision has been taken to empower women and to ensure equal participation of women.
- Punjab Panchayati Raj Act, 1994 govern the Panchayati Raj institutions in Punjab. There are a total of 13,276 panchayats in Punjab.
- Madhya Pradesh's Panchayat Raj department issued an order earlier this month directing district collectors to take action against officers who administered the oath of office to unelected people.
- Panchayati Raj in India:
- It was constitutionalized by the 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act of 1992.
- It came into force on 24 April 1993. This act has added a new Part-IX titled “Panchayats” to the Constitution of India.
- As per the act, State governments are under constitutional obligation to adopt the new Panchayati raj system.
Topic: Important Days
2. National Nutrition Week is observed from September 1 to September 7 in India.
- ‘Celebrate a World of Flavours’ is the theme for National Nutrition Week 2022.
- National Nutrition Week is observed to raise awareness about the need for adequate nutrition in diet.
- The Food and Nutrition Board under Ministry of Women and Child Development started National Nutrition Week in 1982.
- American Dietetic Association (ADA) started National Nutrition Week in 1975.
- In Global Hunger Health Index Report 2021, India ranked 101st among 116 countries.
- 5th Rashtriya Poshan Maah is being celebrated by Ministry of Women and Child Development from 01 September till 30th September.
- The objective of this year's Poshan Maah is to focus mainly on women and health and child and education through Gram Panchayats.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Space and IT
3. Patchy proton auroras have been found in Mars' skies by United Arab Emirate's Mars Mission (EMM) and NASA's MAVEN probe.
- It provides new insights into the atmosphere of Mars. The new aurora found by the team has formed after the direct impact of solar wind on upper atmosphere of Mars.
- The new aurora was discovered in snapshots of the dayside disk obtained by the Emirates Mars Ultraviolet Spectrometer (EMUS). EMUS observes upper atmosphere of Mars.
- Scientists had for the first time a global view of spatial variability in proton aurora at Mars.
- An aurora is a natural light display in sky of a planet. When the aurora occurs, the planet’s small regions become much brighter.
- It is mostly seen in high-latitude regions such as the northern lights, or the aurora borealis, seen from the Earth.
- MAVEN (Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution) was launched in November 2013 on an Atlas V rocket.
Topic: Art and Culture
4. Temple of Vedic Planetarium in West Bengal will become largest religious monument in the world.
- It will serve as the headquarters of the International Society of Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON).
- It will also have the world’s biggest dome. It will cost $100 million.
- It will reportedly replace Cambodia's 400-acre-large Angkor Wat temple complex.
- It is in West Bengal's Mayapur in Nadia district. It will open in 2024.
- It will be larger than the Taj Mahal and St. Paul's Cathedral in the Vatican.
- It is apparently inspired by the design of the Capitol building in the United States. Capitol building is the meeting place of the United States Congress.
- The Vedic Planetarium has a massive rotating model. This model illustrates how the planetary systems move. The construction of temple started in 2010.
5. Exercise Vostok - 2022 began at the training ground in the Eastern Military District of Russia.
- The multilateral strategic and command exercise will run from September 01 to September 07, 2022.
- Its purpose is to establish exchange and coordination between the participating armies and observers.
- The exercise will be conducted at various locations in the Far East and the Sea of Japan and will involve over 50,000 troops from China, India, and several other countries.
- The Indian Army contingent consists of soldiers from the 7/8 Gorkha Rifles.
- The Indian contingent has reached the exercise site and will conduct joint exercises there over the next seven days.
- The exercise includes a joint field training exercise and a discussion on the process of encounter and weapon wielding.
- The Indian Armed Forces will share practical aspects and practice military procedures and practices, which incorporate new technologies.
- All these activities will be accomplished through discussions and strategic exercises.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
6. Ranveer Singh received the best actor award at Filmfare Awards 2022.
- The 67th Filmfare Awards 2022 winners have been announced.
- The three most successful films were Kriti Sanon's Mimi, Vicky Kaushal's Sardar Udham, and Siddharth Malhotra's Shershaah.
- The three films that received the most awards were all OTT releases.
- The Karan Johar-produced movie Shershaah became one of the most watched movies on Amazon Prime Video.
- The complete list of winners is given below:
Ranveer Singh for 83
Kriti Sanon for Mimi
Best Actor (Critics’ Choice)
Vicky Kaushal for Sardar Udham
Best Actress (Critics’ Choice)
Vidya Balan for Sherni
Vishnuvardhan for Shershaah
Best Film (Popular Category)
Best Film (Critics’ Choice)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Male)
Pankaj Tripathi for Mimi
Best Actor in Supporting Role (Female)
Sai Tamhankar for Mimi
Best Debut Male
Ehan Bhat for 99 songs
Best Debut Female
Sharvari Wagh for Bunty Aur Babli 2
Best Debut Director
Seema Pahwa for Ramprasad Ki Tehrvi
Best Playback Singer (Male)
B Praak for Mann Bharryaa 2.0 (Shershaah)
Best Playback Singer (Female)
Asees Kaur for Raataan Lambiyan (Shershaah)
Lifetime Achievement Award
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|July Monthly Current Affairs||June Monthly Current Affairs|
|May Monthly Current Affairs||April Monthly Current Affairs|
7. Tejas Mark-2 Project has been approved by Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).
- 6500 crore rupees have been sanctioned by CCS for designing and developing Tejas Mark-2 fighter jets with prototypes, flight testing, and certification.
- The allocation is in addition to the 2500 crore rupees already sanctioned to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
- Tejas 2.0 will have GE- F414 engines in the 98 Kilonewton thrust class.
- This will allow it to extend its flight range and carry additional payload and weapons.
- It will have a payload capacity of four tonnes as compared to the current version's three tonnes.
- Tejas 2.0 will also have an indigenously developed Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar.
(Source: News on AIR)
8. PM Modi commissioned INS Vikrant at Cochin Shipyard Limited in Kochi on 02 September 2022.
- Vikrant has been made using indigenous equipment and machinery supplied by India's major industrial houses as well as over 100 MSMEs.
- INS Vikrant is the first indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier.
- It is designed by the Indian Navy's in-house Warship Design Bureau. It is built by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- It is the largest ship ever built in the maritime history of India. It is built at a cost of Rs 20,000 crore.
- With the commissioning of Vikrant, India now has two operational Aircraft Carriers.
- INS Vikrant is named after its predecessor, India’s first Aircraft Carrier which had played a key role in the 1971 war.
- India’s first aircraft carrier, a British-origin ship, was Vikrant (R11). It retired from service in 1997.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. Union Minister Hardeep S. Puri presented Smart Solutions Challenge & Inclusive Cities Awards 2022.
- The Smart Solutions Challenge & Inclusive Cities Awards are an initiative of the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) and the United Nations (UN).
- These awards have been designed to promote people-centric design and foster novel home-grown technological innovations and solutions.
- These awards have been instituted to address the challenges related to accessibility and inclusion at the urban level, faced by women, girls and the elderly.
- A 7-member jury panel shortlisted the winner among 100 entries. The top 10 technology-based solutions have been awarded the Inclusive Cities Awards 2022.
- A ‘Compendium of Smart and Innovative Solutions for an Inclusive & Accessible Urban Future’ was also launched.
- Union Minister Hardeep S. Puri said that solutions will be instrumental in integrating universal design, and it will help in achieving the SDG target.
- He also said that India has expanded the list of recognized disabilities from 7 to 21.
- List of the awards is given below:
Category 1: Early-stage Innovations
Category 2: Market-ready Solutions
Category 3: Implemented Solutions
1. Fifth Sense by Glovatrix Pvt. Ltd
2. Digital Mobility Subsidy by Ola Mobility Institute
3. AxcesAble Places by AxcesAble Designs LLP
1. Mouseware by Dextroware Devices
2. Signer.AI by Incluistic Pvt. Ltd. / Friends for Inclusion
3. IncluMaps by Vikas Upadhyay, Research Scholar, IIT Delhi
1. Multi-Dimensional Inclusiveness: Using Advanced Technologies for Education and Literacy by Belagavi Smart City Ltd.
2. myUDAAN by Tekra Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
3. ‘Moving with Pride’ (Mo Bus and Mo E-Ride) by Capital Region Urban Transport (CRUT), Odisha
4. Nirbhaya App by Sagar Smart City Ltd.
10. Super Typhoon Hinnamnor is moving towards Japan.
- Super Typhoon Hinnamnor, the strongest global storm of 2022, is moving towards the southern islands of Japan and the east coast of China.
- It is moving at a speed of around 241 kilometres per hour. The atmospheric pressure at its centre is 920 hectopascals.
- According to Japan Meteorological Agency, the storm is about 290 km south of Miyako Island.
- As per the projection, the storm will reach the Korean peninsula next week.
- Typhoon Hinnamnor has been classified as ‘violent'. It could bring strong gusts and high tides to Okinawa.
- These develop between 180° and 100°E in the Northern Hemisphere.
- It is a giant, rotating storm that brings wind, rain, and destruction.
- Hurricanes and typhoons are kinds of tropical cyclones.
Topic: National News
11. Phase II of the Kochi Metro was inaugurated by PM Modi.
- PM Modi also inaugurated the first phase of the extension linking S N Junction and Vadakkekotta at a function in Kochi. He dedicated three other railway projects to the nation.
- Phase II of the Kochi Metro project covers a distance of 11. 2 km, linking Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and the Info Park at Kakkanad.
- It will have 11 Metro stations and will connect the main IT hub at Kakkanad with Kochi city.
- PM Modi also visited Sri Adi Shankara Janma Bhoomi Kshetram at Kalady village.
- PM Modi also flagged off special train services between Kottayam and Ernakulam and between Kollam and Punalur.
- He will attend the ceremony of commissioning the indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant on 2nd September.
- He will also unveil the new Naval Ensign (Nishaan).
Topic: International News
12. Sri Lanka and IMF reached a preliminary agreement for a 2.9 billion dollar loan.
- Sri Lanka has reached a preliminary agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a loan of about $2.9 billion to come out of its worst economic crisis.
- After being approved by IMF management and its executive board, the preliminary agreement will get finalized.
- This 48-month IMF program will raise government revenue by supporting fiscal consolidation and by introducing new pricing for fuel and electricity.
- It will support central bank autonomy and rebuild depleted foreign reserves.
- The program will implement major tax reforms, including broadening the tax base for corporate income tax and VAT and making the income tax more progressive.
- The programme aims to reach a primary surplus of 2.3 percent of GDP by 2024.
- The revised interim budget projected a deficit of 9.8% of the gross domestic product in 2022.
- Sri Lanka has to also strike a deal with international banks and asset managers that hold the majority of its $19 billion worth of sovereign bonds.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
13. World Bank released a paper titled ‘India Covid-19 Procurement: Challenges, Innovations, and Lessons’.
- The World Bank lauded India’s efforts against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The report has documented India’s innovation, challenges, and lessons in the procurement of essential medical items.
- As per the report, centralized procurement, production of Emergency Medical Equipment (EME) and early export restrictions worked in favour of India.
- The establishment of empowered inter-ministerial groups aided the government in making timely decisions for centralized procurement to support the states.
- The report commended India for not compromising the quality of critical commodities during the large-scale procurement project.
- The World Bank also stated that the Indian government created an environment for the growth of the indigenous medical device industry.
- The report praised the government's decision to allow several automobile and electrical manufacturing companies to produce ventilators.
- As per the World Bank assessment, key innovations by India are as follows:
- Government supported the local production which helped to steeply reduce unit prices and dependency on global supplies.
- Introduction of the accelerated tendering process and quality assurance protocols.
- Efficient supply chain management that helped to project the number of cases and admissions.
- The government’s e-procurement site for Covid commodities.
Topic: National Appointments
14. Dr Vasudha Gupta appointed as Director General of News Services Division of All India Radio.
- Dr Vasudha Gupta assumed the charge of Director General, News Services Division, All India Radio.
- During her 32-year-long career, she has served in various positions in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Before the appointment, she was serving as DG of the Press Information Bureau.
- She has started several important initiatives, including the establishment of a fact-check system for the government and a feedback dashboard for the Government of India.
- She also introduced social media platforms in regional languages through All India Radio.
- All India Radio:
- It was established in 1936.
- It is a division of Prasar Bharati and is officially known as Akashvani.
- It is the national public radio broadcaster of India.