- 1. C-DOT bagged three awards at 12th Annual Aegis Graham Bell Awards.
- 2. K.N. Raghavan has been elected as new Chairman of International Rubber Study Group (IRSG).
- 3. Mizoram CM Zoramthanga presented state budget for financial year 2022-23 with a total outlay of Rs 14,008 crore.
- 4. Carlos Alcaraz Garfia has won Rio Open title after defeating Diego Schwartzman of Argentina.
- 5. President inaugurated the 400th birth anniversary commemorations of Lachit Borphukan.
- 6. India's first e-waste eco-park will be built in Delhi.
- 7. Bhasha Certificate Selfie Campaign has been launched by Ministry of Education.
- 8. Appointment Committee of Cabinet has approved appointment of several additional secretary and joint secretary-level officers.
- 9. Government has approved continuation of IVFRT scheme for next five years with an outlay of 1364.88 crores.
- 10. Odisha’s first tribal CM Hemananda Biswal passed away.
- 11. Defence Ministry signed an MoU to onboard pension services under SPARSH scheme.
- 12. National War Memorial celebrated its third anniversary.
- 13. India and Japan to hold joint military exercise in Karnataka.
- 14. ‘World’s most beautiful building’ opened in Dubai.
Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
Topic: Awards and Prizes
1. C-DOT bagged three awards at 12th Annual Aegis Graham Bell Awards.
- Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) has won three awards for indigenously designed & developed innovative Telecom solutions in various categories at Annual Aegis Graham Bell Awards.
- CDOT has won the award in Tech for Social Good, Preventive measures to combat COVID 19, and Innovation in Lockdown Management categories.
- CDOT has won the award in the “Tech for Social Good” category for its Early Warning Platform for Disaster Management & Preparedness based on ITU’s Common Alerting Protocol.
- C-DOT SAMVAD has won the award in the “Innovative in Lockdown Management” category.
- C-DOT Quarantine Alert System (CQAS) has won the first prize in the “Preventive measures to combat Covid 19” category.
- Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) is a government owned telecommunications technology development center. It was established in 1984.
- Aegis Graham Bell Award:
- It is the largest innovation award given by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- It has been named after the father of telephony and great innovator, Alexander Graham Bell.
- It was started by the Aegis School of Business, Data Science, and Cyber Security to promote innovation and to recognize innovators.
(Source: News on AIR)
2. K.N. Raghavan has been elected as new Chairman of International Rubber Study Group (IRSG).
- KN Raghavan will be the Chairman of IRSG for the next two years.
- He is head of Indian delegation to IRSG, and Executive Director of Indian Rubber Board.
- On March 31, he will preside over a meeting of the heads of delegation in Singapore.
- India has been elected for the chairmanship of IRSG.
- The position of IRSG chairman became vacant because Cote’d Ivoire (a country on the southern coast of West Africa) had completed its term as chairman.
- International Rubber Study Group (IRSG):
- It is an inter-governmental organization of natural rubber and synthetic rubber producing and consuming countries.
- IRSG was formed in the year 1944. It is headquartered in Singapore.
- It is the only international commodity body that has been approved by Common Fund for Commodities for development financing in rubber sector.
Topic: State News/Mizoram
3. Mizoram CM Zoramthanga presented state budget for financial year 2022-23 with a total outlay of Rs 14,008 crore.
- He also tabled the supplementary demands for grants for the fiscal year 2021-22, totaling to Rs 6,025.44 crore.
- He said that state is facing major financial problems because of inadequate release of the share of taxes from the Centre.
- In the budget, there is no proposal for levying new taxes or increasing existing tax rates.
- Out of total outlay of Rs 14,008 crore, 28.57% has been kept for capital expenditure. CM said that the aim is to keep a revenue surplus of Rs 1,419.69 crore.
- The government will explore all possible avenues to augment the revenue income with the formation of Mizoram Resource Mobilization Committee.
- CM said that Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) for 2022-23 is estimated to be Rs 39,458.50 crore.
- The funds for implementation of Mizoram government's flagship Socio-Economic Development Policy (SEDP) has been increased from Rs 400 crore in the previous budget to Rs 700 crore for 2022-2023 fiscal.
- It is a state in northeast India that shares its border with Assam, Manipur, Tripura, Bangladesh and Myanmar.
- Its capital is Aizawl. Its governor is Hari Babu Kambhampati.
- The highest peak in Mizoram is the Blue Mountain (Phawngpui).
- It has one Lok Sabha seat and one Rajya Sabha seat.
- It is one of the four northeast states mentioned in the sixth schedule of the Indian Constitution.
4. Carlos Alcaraz Garfia has won Rio Open title after defeating Diego Schwartzman of Argentina.
- Alcaraz has also become the youngest ATP 500 champion since the category was created in 2009.
- It is the second tour-level title of his career after his victory in Umag, Croatia last year.
- Two years after winning his first tour-level match in Rio de Janeiro, he became the youngest to win an ATP 500 title at the same event on 20th February 2022.
- He entered into the top 20 in the singles rankings on 21 February 2022. He had won NextGen ATP Finals in 2021.
Topic: National News
5. President inaugurated the 400th birth anniversary commemorations of Lachit Borphukan.
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated a year-long celebration in Guwahati to commemorate the 400th birth anniversary of the legendary Ahom general Lachit Borphukan.
- He laid the foundation for a 150-foot bronze statue of the great commander.
- He laid the foundation stone for the redevelopment project of the General's Memorial in the Jorhat district.
- Shri Kovind also laid the foundation stone of Alaboi War Memorial at Dodora in Kamrup district.
- Lachit Borphukan:
- Lachit Borphukan was a renowned army commander of Ahom kingdom.
- The Battle of Alaboi was fought between the Ahoms and the Mughals on August 5, 1669, in which the Ahoms suffered devastating defeat and hundreds of their troops were killed.
- After a humiliating defeat at Alaboi, Lachit Borphukan defeated the Mughals in 1671 and took back Assam.
- He is known for his leadership in the 1671 Battle of Saraighat.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News / New Delhi
6. India's first e-waste eco-park will be built in Delhi.
- Delhi Government will establish the "country's first e-waste eco-park” in New Delhi to handle the growing e-waste.
- The park would be developed on a 20-acre plot of land. Every year, Delhi produces 2 lakh tonnes of e-waste.
- In the country's first e-waste eco-park, recycling and re-manufacturing work will be done in a safe and scientific manner.
- The government will also formulate the Delhi Film Policy 2022 with an aim to promote tourism in the national capital.
- A 50 crore film fund will be set up to help film producers. This would be India's most progressive film policy, aimed at boosting the economy and creating jobs.
- Every year, the International Film Festival and an award function will also be organized in Delhi to honor the effort of skilled and semi-skilled labourers.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
7. Bhasha Certificate Selfie Campaign has been launched by Ministry of Education.
- The campaign has been launched to encourage cultural diversity and promote multilingualism and to foster the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
- It aims to promote Bhasha Sangam mobile app, which is an initiative of the Ministry of Education and MyGov India. The app is developed by a startup named Multibhashi.
- People can learn 100+ sentences of daily use in as many as 22 scheduled Indian languages with the help of Bhasha Sangam mobile app.
- As part of ‘Bhasha Certificate Selfie’ initiative, people are being encouraged to upload their selfie with the certificate from their social media accounts.
- Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat:
- It was launched on 31 October 2015 on the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- It aims to celebrate the unity in diversity and showcase the rich cultural heritage, traditions and customs of either State.
8. Appointment Committee of Cabinet has approved appointment of several additional secretary and joint secretary-level officers.
- Geetha Meetina has been appointed as Joint Secretary, Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare for a period of five years.
- Rajbir S Panwar has been appointed as Managing Director (JS level), National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd. (NAFED), Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- Satyendra Singh has been appointed as Managing Director (JS level), National Horticulture Board (NHB), Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- Chaitanya Murti has been appointed as Joint Secretary, Department of Biotechnology.
- Srikant Nagulapalli has been appointed as Joint Secretary, Cabinet Secretariat.
- Puneet Kansal has also been appointed as Joint Secretary, Cabinet Secretariat.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
9. Government has approved continuation of IVFRT scheme for next five years with an outlay of 1364.88 crores.
- The government has approved the continuation of the Immigration Visa Foreigners Registration Tracking (IVFRT) scheme till 31 March 2026.
- The main objective of the IVFRT scheme is to modernize and upgrade Immigration and Visa services.
- The average visa processing time has been reduced from 15-30 days to maximum of 72 hours in e-visas. 95 percent of e-visas were issued within 24hrs.
- The number of Visa and Overseas Citizen of India's cards has increased at a Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 7.7 percent.
- The number of issued cards has increased from 44.43 lakh in 2014 to 64.59 lakh in 2019.
- Immigration Visa Foreigners Registration Tracking (IVFRT) scheme:
- It is administered by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- It aims is to interlink and optimize functions related to immigration, visa issuance, registration of foreigners, and tracking of their movements in India.
- It provides a secure and integrated service delivery framework that facilitates legitimate travellers while strengthening national security.
Topic: Personality in News
10. Odisha’s first tribal CM Hemananda Biswal passed away.
- Former Odisha Chief Minister and prominent tribal leader Hemananda Biswal died at the age of 82.
- He was the first tribal Chief Minister of Odisha. He was elected as Chief Minister from 7 December 1989 to 5 March 1990 and again from 6 December 1999 to 5 March 2000.
- He represented Sundergarh Constituency in the Lok Sabha and was a six-time MLA from Jharsuguda district.
- He started his political career from panchayat politics. He became MLA for the first time in 1974.
- Harekrushna Mahatab is the first Chief Minister of Odisha. Nandini Satpathy is the first woman Chief Minister of Odisha.
- Naveen Patnaik is the current Chief Minister of Odisha. He is the 14th Chief Minister of Odisha.
11. Defence Ministry signed an MoU to onboard pension services under SPARSH scheme.
- Defence Ministry has inked an MoU to provide pension services under the System for Pension Administration (Raksha) (SPARSH) initiative at four lakh Common Service Centres (CSCs).
- The MoU will help in providing last-mile connectivity to pensioners. The Service Centres will act as an interface for ‘SPARSH’.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank and Defence Ministry have also signed an MoU for setting up service centers in areas with high ex-servicemen density.
- The MoU will promote ease of living and resolve pension-related issues in a time-bound manner.
- System for Pension Administration (RAKSHA) (SPARSH):
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Defense.
- It provides a single-window for the pensioners to avail pension related services.
- It is administered by DAD through the Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (Pensions), Prayagraj.
Topic: National News
12. National War Memorial celebrated its third anniversary.
- On this occasion, the Chiefs of the Indian Army, the Indian Navy, and the Indian Air Force laid wreaths at the National War Memorial.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had inaugurated the National War Memorial on 25th February 2019.
- After its inauguration, all homage ceremonies are conducted only at the National War Memorial.
- The National War Memorial is built to honour the soldiers who were martyred during the Sino-Indian war in 1962, the Indo-Pak wars of 1947, 1965 and 1971, Indian Peace Keeping Force operations in Sri Lanka and the Kargil Conflict in 1999.
- Since Independence, more than 26,000 soldiers of the Indian Armed Forces have given their lives to defend the sovereignty and integrity of the country.
- The Memorial has four concentric circles and a central obelisk, at the bottom. The concentric circles have been designed as a Chakravyuh.
(Source: News on AIR)
13. India and Japan to hold joint military exercise in Karnataka.
- India and Japan will participate in a joint military exercise ‘EX DHARMA GUARDIAN-2022’ in Karnataka from 27th February to 10th of March.
- ‘Exercise DHARMA GUARDIAN’ is an annual military exercise between India and Japan. It is being conducted since 2018.
- This joint exercise includes house interventions drills, raids on terrorist hideouts in semi-urban terrain, combat first aid, unarmed combat, etc.
- Platoon level joint training on operations in the jungle and urban terrain will be also part of this exercise.
- The 15th Battalion the MARATHA LIGHT INFANTRY Regiment of the Indian Army and 30th Infantry Regiment of Japanese Ground Self Defence Forces will participate in this exercise.
- Exercise Dharma Guardian will strengthen the defense cooperation between the Indian Army and Japanese Ground Self Defence Forces.
14. ‘World’s most beautiful building’ opened in Dubai.
- ‘Museum of the Future’ has been opened in Dubai. It is considered as the world's most beautiful building.
- It is seven-storey circular building and is spread across 30,000 square meters.
- It is designed by architect Shaun Killa of Killa Design. It is made of stainless steel.
- The structure of the museum is dedicated to the future. It will exhibit design and technology innovations and take the visitors on a “journey to the year 2071”.
- It will be a global center for inspiration, innovation, and the development of solutions to challenges and opportunities in human development.