- 1. Goa is celebrating a four-day long ‘Viva Carnival’ from 26 February.
- 2. Emma Terho re-elected as Chair of International Olympic Committee (IOC) Athletes’ Commission.
- 3. National Science Day 2022: 28 February
- 4. India and Nepal agreed to form a joint task group.
- 5. India's 1st smart-managed EV charging station commissioned by BSES.
- 6. National Protein Day 2022: 27 February
- 7. “Operation Ganga” launched to bring back Indian citizens and students from Ukraine.
- 8. Sadia Tariq won gold medal in Moscow Wushu Stars Championship 2022.
- 9. Government to set up MSME Technology Centre in Sindhudurg.
- 10. US, EU, and UK decided to remove some selected Russian banks from SWIFT.
- 11. India ranks 43rd International Intellectual Property Index.
- 12. Government approved implementation of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission at national level.
- 13. Mirabai Chanu clinched gold in Singapore International Weightlifting tournament.
- 14. World NGO Day: 27 February
Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
Topic: Art and Culture
1. Goa is celebrating a four-day long ‘Viva Carnival’ from 26 February.
- Carnival Festival is one of the most popular festivals of Goa. This year, it will be celebrated from 26 February to 1 March.
- It is celebrated by Catholics before the month of Lent. The Lent season is about six weeks ahead of Easter.
- It is also observed to mark the end of winter and the beginning of spring.
- Panaji is the center of attraction of this festival. This year, Emilio Dias has been crowned as King Momo.
- On this occasion, Float parades are also organized in the various parts of the state.
2. Emma Terho re-elected as Chair of International Olympic Committee (IOC) Athletes’ Commission.
- Seung Min Ryu has been elected as first Vice-Chair while Sarah Walker has been elected as second Vice-Chair of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Athletes’ Commission.
- The IOC Executive Board (EB) had approved the proposal to create a second Vice-Chair position in the last December.
- Only elected members of the commission could be appointed on the positions of International Olympic Committee (IOC) Athletes’ Commission Chair and first Vice-Chair.
- Emma Terho is a five-time Olympian and former captain of the Finland women’s ice hockey team. She will head the Commission till Olympic Games 2024.
- Sarah Walker is a three-time world champion in BMX from New Zealand.
Topic: Important Days
3. National Science Day 2022: 28 February
- Every year on February 28, National Science Day, or Rashtriya Vigyan Divas, is commemorated in India.
- ‘Integrated Approach in Science and Technology for Sustainable Future’ is the theme for National Science Day 2022.
- The day is celebrated to remember the discovery of the Raman Effect by Sir C V Raman on 28 February 1928.
- He had won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930 for the discovery of the Raman Effect.
- He also received Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian award in 1954.
- In 1986, the Government of India had declared February 28 as National Science Day.
- The Department of Science and Technology's National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC) is the nodal agency for coordinating National Science Day celebrations.
- Every year on National Science Day, the National Awards for Science Popularization are given. DST started these awards in February 1987.
- Raman Effect: When light passes through a transparent material, the wavelength and amplitude of some deflected light change. This is called Raman scattering and is a consequence of the Raman Effect.
Topic: India and its neighbourhood
4. India and Nepal agreed to form a joint task group.
- India and Nepal have decided to form a joint task group to work on a plan to build a hydroelectric project using funds from both neighboring countries.
- A maximum of three members from each country will be part of the task force.
- This agreement has been made in Kathmandu during the 9th meeting of the Nepal-India Energy Secretary-Level Joint Steering Committee.
- Both countries have agreed to expand the capacity of power imported and exported via the interstate 400 KV Dhalkebar-Muzaffarpur transmission line.
- It shares a border with Indian states, namely Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Sikkim, West Bengal, and Bihar.
- The capital of Nepal is Kathmandu, and the currency is Nepalese Rupees.
- President of Nepal: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- Prime Minister of Nepal: Sher Bahadur Deuba
Topic: National News
5. India's 1st smart-managed EV charging station commissioned by BSES.
- India's first "Smart Managed EV Charging Station" has been inaugurated in Delhi by BSES Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL).
- The station has been launched as a pilot project, which has been partially funded by Nordic Innovation.
- It has been built by Fortum Charge and Drive, a Gurgaon-based private enterprise, and would be the first BYPL-operated and managed smart EV charging station.
- This smart managed EV charging station is located at BYPL's 11 kV Sub Station building in Mayur Vihar Extension Phase-1 and can charge five EVs at the same time.
- The EV chargers at the outlet are being linked to a smartphone app that will allow customers to find the charging station, book an appointment, and even pay at the EV charging station.
Topic: Important Days
6. National Protein Day 2022: 27 February
- Every year on 27 February, National Protein Day is observed in India.
- It is observed to raise awareness about the importance of the macronutrient and the consequences of its deficiency.
- The theme of National Protein Day 2022 is "Food Futurism".
- India commemorated this day for the first time in 2020 with the National level public health initiative “Right to Protein”.
- World Protein Day is also commemorated on 27 February.
Topic: National News
7. “Operation Ganga” launched to bring back Indian citizens and students from Ukraine.
- Air India's first evacuation flight from Romania landed in Mumbai on 26 February.
- On 27 February, fourth Operation Ganga flight with 198 Indian evacuees from Ukraine reached Delhi from Bucharest (capital of Romania).
- As airspace in Ukraine was closed after the Russia-Ukraine conflict, land evacuation options through four neighbouring countries, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia have been identified.
- About 15,000 Indian citizens were left in Ukraine when Operation Ganga commenced.
- So far, 1,000 Indian citizens have been flown out of Romania and Hungary as part of Operation Ganga.
- 1,000 Indian citizens have been evacuated from Ukraine via land routes. Flights for these evacuees are being organized.
Other Operations launched by India
Launched by the Indian Navy to evacuate Indian and other nationals during 2006 Lebanon war
Operation Safe Homecoming
Launched in 2011 to bring Indian nationals from Libya
Launched in 2015 to evacuate Indian citizens and foreign nationals from Yemen
Operation Sankat Mochan
Launched in 2016 for evacuation of Indian citizens from South Sudan
Vande Bharat Mission
Massive evacuation program launched in May 2020 in wake of Covid-19 pandemic
Operation Devi Shakti
Launched in 2021 for evacuation of Indian nationals, embassy staff and eligible Afghans
8. Sadia Tariq won gold medal in Moscow Wushu Stars Championship 2022.
- She recently won a Gold medal in the 20th Junior National Wushu Championship at Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar.
- She had also won gold medals in the 19th and 20th Junior National Championship held in Haryana and Jalandhar respectively.
- She was encouraged and supported by Mr. Kuldeep Handoo, a former Wushu player and current national chief coach of Wushu team in India.
- Wushu or Kungfu is a martial art as well as a sport. Sadia is from Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Moscow Wushu Stars Championship 2022 is being organized in Moscow from February 22 to 28.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
9. Government to set up MSME Technology Centre in Sindhudurg.
- Union Minister Narayan Rane inaugurated a two-day MSME Conclave.
- This conclave will encourage entrepreneurship and trade opportunities for MSMEs in the Konkan region with the help of technology, product development, and skilling.
- He also announced that the Government will establish MSME Technology Centre with an outlay of Rs 200 crores in Sindhudurg.
- It will provide best technology, incubation as well as advisory support to the MSMEs. It will provide skilling services to the employed and unemployed youths.
- He also inaugurated the KONBAC SFURTI (Konkan Bamboo and Cane Development Centre - Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries) bamboo cluster at Kudal.
- The government will promote entrepreneurship in the Konkan region through various schemes like PMEGP (Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme), SFURTI (Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries), etc.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
10. US, EU, and UK decided to remove some selected Russian banks from SWIFT.
- The United States, European Union, and the United Kingdom have announced to remove some selected Russian banks from the SWIFT global financial messaging system.
- They also imposed some restrictions on the central bank of Russia. These steps have been taken as part of the new financial sanctions on Russia.
- Removal of some selected Russian banks from SWIFT will disconnect them from the international financial system and it will block exports and imports of Russia.
- Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT):
- It was started in 1973.
- It is an electronic payment messaging system used by banks and financial institutions worldwide.
- It helps more than 11,000 financial institutions to send messages and payment orders in a secure way.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
11. India ranks 43rd International Intellectual Property Index.
- India’s rank on the International Intellectual Property Index is 43rd out of 55 countries.
- According to a report compiled by the US Chambers of Commerce, India’s overall IP score has improved from 38.4 percent to 38.6 per cent.
- Out of 55 countries, only 45 economies have shown improvement in their score. United Arab Emirates (UAE), Nigeria, and Peru have shown the largest improvement in their score.
- The US, the UK, Germany, Sweden, and France are the top five economies on the intellectual property index.
- Venezuela has been ranked 55th on this edition of the intellectual property index.
- This report is one of the major attempts to assess India’s National Intellectual Property Rights Policy.
- Earlier, the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Commerce had released a review of the Intellectual Property Rights Regime in India.
- International Intellectual Property Index:
- It is released by US Chamber of Commerce Global Innovation Policy Centre (GIPC).
- It evaluates patent and copyright policies, commercialization of IP assets and ratification of international treaties of a country.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
12. Government approved implementation of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission at national level.
- Union cabinet has approved the nationwide roll-out of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) with an outlay of 1600 crore for five years.
- Under ABDM, citizens will be able to create their own Aura (Ayushman Bharat Health Account) number, which can be linked to their digital health records.
- Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) will create longitudinal health records for individuals across various healthcare providers.
- It will help in providing healthcare facilities with the help of technologies such as telemedicine and enabling national portability of health services.
- Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) has completed its pilot mission in the six Union Territories.
- Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission will not only promote innovation but also generate employment across the healthcare ecosystem.
- Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission:
- It was launched by PM Shri Narendra Modi on 27 September 2021.
- It was launched for developing an integrated digital health infrastructure in the country.
- The National Health Authority (NHA) will be the implementing agency of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM).
- It was earlier called the 'National Digital Health Mission'.
13. Mirabai Chanu clinched gold in Singapore International Weightlifting tournament.
- Mirabai Chanu lifted 86kg in snatch in her third attempt and 105 Kg in clean and jerk.
- Jessica Sewastenko of Australia won the Silver medal by lifting 167kg.
- Mirabai Chanu has also qualified for Birmingham Commonwealth Games in the 55 kg category.
- At the Tokyo Olympics, Mirabai Chanu had won the silver medal. She has also already won two medals in the Commonwealth Games.
- In the men’s category, Sanket Sargar has won the gold medal and Rishikanta Singh has won the Silver medal.
Topic: Important days
14. World NGO Day: 27 February
- World NGO Day is celebrated every year on 27th February in more than 89 countries.
- It is dedicated to recognize and honour all non-governmental and non-profit organizations.
- It is observed to mark the contribution of NGOs and social workers in society.
- In 2014, the UN, EU leaders, and international organizations adopted 27th February as the World NGO day.
- India has more than three million non-governmental organizations (NGO). They are playing important roles of facilitator and partner in different sectors.
- Non-governmental organization (NGO):
- A non-governmental organization (NGO) is a non-profit group that functions independently.
- It plays a vital role in international development, improving communities, and philanthropy work.
Madhabi Puri Buch appointed as new chairperson of SEBI.
- Government has appointed Madhabi Puri Buch as the chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Board of India for three years.
- She is the first woman chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- She replaced Ajay Tyagi whose term ended on 28 February 2022.
- She was a whole-time member (WTM) of SEBI from 5 April 2017 to 4 October 2021.
- She also headed a seven-member expert group formed to help Sebi design in-house technological systems.