Daily Current Affairs and GK | 4 August 2021
- 1. Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh releases “Biotech-PRIDE” guidelines.
- 2. Alexander Zverev wins gold in men's singles tennis at the Tokyo Olympics.
- 3. NITI Aayog and RMI released a report on power distribution sector.
- 4. Sports Minister Anurag Thakur launches the theme song for Tokyo Paralympics.
- 5. NASA launched its Boeing Orbital Flight Test-2 mission.
- 6. Jagdish Bhagwati and C Rangarajan received Prof CR Rao Centenary Gold Medal (CGM).
- 7. Nikol Pashinyan re-appointed as Prime Minister of Armenia.
- 8. Mahendra Singh Dhoni becomes brand ambassador of Home Lane.
- 9. Haryana Government launched Har Hith store scheme to wipe out unemployment by 2024.
- 10. India joined Community of Portuguese Language Countries as Associate Observer.
- 11. Kiren Rijiju to attend meeting of Ministers of Justice of SCO on August 6.
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
Topic: National News
1. Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh releases “Biotech-PRIDE” guidelines.
- Union Minister of Science & Technology has released the “Biotech-PRIDE (Promotion of Research and Innovation through Data Exchange) Guidelines”.
- It has been developed by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT). Initially, these Guidelines will be implemented through the Indian Biological Data Centre (IBDC) at Regional Centre for Biotechnology supported by the Department of Biotechnology.
- It will facilitate the exchange of information for research and innovation in different research groups across the country.
- It will provide a well-defined framework and guiding principle for the exchange of biological knowledge, information, and data.
- These guidelines have been issued to maximize the data use and to avoid duplication of data.
- It will work as a National Repository for biological knowledge, information, and data.
2. Alexander Zverev wins gold in men's singles tennis at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Alexander Zverev of Germany has won the men's singles gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics. He defeated Russian Karen Khachanov by 6-3, 6-1.
- He became the first German man to win a singles Olympic gold. He is yet to win any Grand Slam title.
- Zverev’s previous best performance was reaching the final of last year’s U.S. Open, where he lost to Dominic Thiem.
- Germany had won the Olympic gold in Tennis doubles at the 1992 Barcelona Games.
Topic: Reports and Indices
3. NITI Aayog and RMI released a report on power distribution sector.
- NITI Aayog and RMI have released a report on the power distribution sector.
- The report is titled as “Turning Around the Power Distribution Sector”. It is co-authored by NITI Aayog, RMI and RMI India.
- The report is divided into chapters focusing on structural reforms, regulatory reforms, operational reforms, managerial reforms, and renewable energy integration.
- It presents a review of reform efforts in the Indian and global power distribution sector.
- Most power distribution companies (discoms) in India incur losses every year. Their total losses are estimated at Rs 90,000 crore in FY 2021.
- RMI is an independent nonprofit organization. RMI India is an independent think tank. It works with the public and private sectors to enable India’s clean energy and mobility future.
4. Sports Minister Anurag Thakur launches the theme song for Tokyo Paralympics.
- Sports Minister Anurag Thakur has launched the theme song for Tokyo Paralympics.
- The theme song “Kar De Kamaal Tu” is composed and sung by a Divyang cricket player Sanjeev Singh.
- The Sports Minister said that this year, the biggest ever Indian contingent of 54 para-athletes will participate in the Tokyo Paralympics in nine disciplines.
- He also congratulated Paralympic Committee of India and its President Ms. Deepa Malik for ensuring that our athletes are well prepared and receive the best facilities.
- Tokyo Paralympics are scheduled to take place from 24 August 2021 to 5 September 2021. They are 16th Summer Paralympic Games.
Topic: Space and IT
5. NASA launched its Boeing Orbital Flight Test-2 mission.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration has launched the Boeing OFT-2 mission from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.
- Under this mission, the CST-100 Starliner spacecraft has been launched to the International Space Station.
- It is the second uncrewed flight for Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner spacecraft. It will carry more than 400 pounds of cargo and crew supplies to the space station.
- It will return earth with 550 pounds of cargo, including reusable Nitrogen Oxygen Recharge System tanks.
- The mission will test the end-to-end capabilities of Starliner from launch to docking, atmospheric re-entry, and desert landing.
- OFT-2 mission tests the changes made to Starliner and proves the system is ready to fly astronauts.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
6. Jagdish Bhagwati and C Rangarajan received Prof CR Rao Centenary Gold Medal (CGM).
- The Indian Econometric Society (TIES) Trust has conferred the Prof CR Rao Centenary Gold Medal (CGM) to noted economists Jagdish Bhagwati and C Rangarajan.
- Jagdish Bhagwati is a professor of economics, law, and international relations at Columbia University.
- C Rangarajan is the former chairman of the Economic Advisory Council of the Prime Minister and former governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- C R Rao is an Indian-American mathematician and statistician. He contributed to the growth of TIES as well as econometrics teaching and research in the country.
Prof CR Rao Centenary Gold Medal (CGM):
It has been constituted by the TIES to celebrate the contribution of Prof Rao.
It is given once in two years to an Indian or Indian-origin scholar for remarkable contribution in the field of theoretical and applied aspects of quantitative economics.
It carries a gold medal and citation.
Topic: International News
7. Nikol Pashinyan re-appointed as Prime Minister of Armenia.
- Nikol Pashinyan has been appointed as the Prime Minister of Armenia. He has been appointed after his party won the parliamentary election in June.
- Pashinyan's Civil Contract party nominated him as the Prime Minister. A cabinet will be formed within 15 days.
- Civil Contract party has won 71 seats in the election. Nikol Pashinyan had called the early election after signing the peace deal with Azerbaijan.
- People were demanding his resignation after the peace deal. Armenia and Azerbaijan have signed a peace deal to stop military conflict over the Nagorno-Karabakh region on 10 November 2020.
- The National Assembly of Armenia is the legislative branch of the government of Armenia.
It is bordered by Turkey to the west, Georgia to the north, Azerbaijan to the east and Iran to the south.
Its capital is Yerevan and currency is Dram.
President: Armen Sarksyan.
8. Mahendra Singh Dhoni becomes brand ambassador of Home Lane.
- HomeLane has announced Mahendra Singh Dhoni as its brand ambassador.
- HomeLane has entered into a three-year strategic partnership with Mahendra Singh Dhoni as an equity partner and brand ambassador.
- HomeLane and MS Dhoni are working on a brand new campaign, which will be released during the new IPL season.
- HomeLane is expanding its presence in more than 16 cities.
- HomeLane’s vision is to make interiors easy and accessible for people across the country.
Topic: State News/ Haryana
9. Haryana Government launched Har Hith store scheme to wipe out unemployment by 2024.
- Haryana chief minister (CM) Manohar Lal Khattar has launched the ‘Har Hith store’ scheme in Panchkula.
- Under this scheme, a chain of grocery shops will be opened in rural and urban areas to sell the best quality daily-needs products at reasonable prices.
- It has been launched to encourage youth for self-employment. In the first phase, around 1500 stores will be opened in rural areas and 500 in urban areas.
- The state government will also guarantee a minimum monthly income of Rs. 15,000 per month through these stores.
- Haryana Agro Industries Corporation Limited (HAICL) will allot the franchise of these stores. People in the age group of 18-35, women, and persons with special disabilities would be given preference in the franchise allotment.
- A loan facility under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana will be also provided to the financially weak applicant for the franchise.
Topic: National News
10. India joined Community of Portuguese Language Countries as Associate Observer.
- In July 2021, India joined the Community of Portuguese Language Countries as Associate Observer.
- It will help in strengthening India’s ties with the Portuguese-speaking countries. It will enhance cooperation with Portuguese-speaking countries.
- The Community of Portuguese Language Countries has nine member countries and 32 associate observers. All member countries' official language is Portuguese. It was founded in 1996.
- In 2021, along with India nine other countries also became associate observers of the Community of Portuguese Language Countries.
It is the sixth-most spoken language in the world.
It is an official language of the European Union and the African Union.
A Portuguese-speaking person or nation is referred as "Lusophone”.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
11. Kiren Rijiju to attend meeting of Ministers of Justice of SCO on August 6.
- On 6th August, Law and Justice Minister Kiren Rijiju will attend the eighth meeting of Ministers of Justice of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. Minister of State for Law and Justice Prof. S.P. Singh Baghel will also attend this meeting.
- In this meeting, member countries will discuss the area of cooperation, the role of coronavirus laws in the pandemic, free legal aid, and the role of ministries of justice in countering corruption.
- The Ministries of Law and Justice of India, Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan will participate in this meeting.
- A Joint Statement will be also signed by the member countries.
- A meeting of the Experts Working Group will be also organized on 4th-5th August.
- Tajikistan is the host country for these meetings and meetings will be conducted virtually.