Daily Current Affairs and GK | 9 and 10 October 2022
- 1. Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel inaugurated Chhattisgarh Olympics in Raipur.
- 2. Government has approved creation of new Weapon Systems (WS) branch in Indian Air Force (IAF).
- 3. Modhera in Gujarat’s Mehsana district has been declared India’s first 24X7 solar-powered village.
- 4. Mulayam Singh Yadav passed away at the age of 82 years on 10 October 2022.
- 5. PM Modi will inaugurate the Mahakal Lok on 11 October 2022.
- 6. Jharkhand has the highest percentage of underage girls getting married.
- 7. Dr. Akhilesh Gupta has been given an additional charge of SERB as its Secretary.
- 8. Pankaj Advani won his 25th World Billiards title.
- 9. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar inaugurated the new Indian High Commission Chancery in Wellington.
- 10. India is at fourth position among 12 countries of the Indo-Pacific in self-reliant defence production.
- 11. Reserve Bank of India released a concept note on the Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).
- 12. Environment Ministry constituted a nine-member task force to monitor Cheetahs in Kuno National Park.
- 13. DPIIT notified the establishment of the Credit Guarantee Scheme for Startups (CGSS).
- 14. World Post Day: 9 October
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: State News/ Chhattisgarh
1. Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel inaugurated Chhattisgarh Olympics in Raipur.
- Chief minister Bhupesh Baghel inaugurated the Chhattisgarh Olympics at Balbir Singh Juneja Indoor Stadium in Raipur to promote sports in the state.
- A total of 14 types of traditional sports have been included in the Chhattisgarh Olympics 2022-23.
- Traditional sports like gilli-danda, pitthul, sankhali, langdi-race, kabaddi, kho-kho and kancha have been also included.
- The ‘Chhattisgarhiya Olympics’ will be organised at six levels and it will continue till January 6, 2023.
- Chhattisgarh Olympics is a multi-sport event. The games will be played at the development block/urban cluster level, district level, divisional level, and state level.
- The main of the event is to generate the feeling of regionalism, especially among young voters.
- It is the first-of-its-kind tournament where the focus is on local games.
2. Government has approved creation of new Weapon Systems (WS) branch in Indian Air Force (IAF).
- The WS branch would include operators in four specialized streams of Surface-to-Surface missiles, Surface-to-Air missiles, Remotely Piloted Aircraft and Weapon System Operators in twin/multi-crew aircraft.
- It will enhance the war fighting capability of the Indian Air Force.
- With the creation of the WS branch, all weapon system operators will be unified under one entity.
- Air Chief Marshal V R Chaudhari said, “This is the first time since Independence that a new operational branch is being created.”
- Creation of this branch will result in savings of over Rs 3,400 crore.
- The theme for this year’s IAF anniversary celebrations is ‘IAF: Transforming for the Future’.
Topic: State News/Gujarat
3. Modhera in Gujarat’s Mehsana district has been declared India’s first 24X7 solar-powered village.
- PM Modi also laid the foundation for projects worth more than ₹3,900 crore in the village.
- The village has a ground-mounted solar power plant. It has over 1,300 rooftop solar systems with 1kW capacity installed on houses to generate electricity.
- During the day, solar panels will provide power to the village.
- Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) has been installed at nearby Sajjanpura village.
- This BESS is for the storage of solar power that can be utilised during night.
- Over ₹80 crore have been invested by both the central and state governments in this solar-development project in two phases.
- Modhera village is located on the banks of the Pushpavati River in Gujarat. It is famous for a Sun temple built during the Chalukya rule.
Topic: Personality in News
4. Mulayam Singh Yadav passed away at the age of 82 years on 10 October 2022.
- He was Samajwadi Party patriarch and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister.
- He was elected to Lok Sabha seven times. He was currently a member of Lok Sabha from Mainpuri, Uttar Pradesh.
- He was born in 1939 in Saifai village of Uttar Pradesh. Saifai village is in Etawah district of UP.
- He became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh 3 times (1989-1991, 1993-1995 and 2003-2007).
- He served as 21st Defence Minister from 1996 to 1998. In 1992, he founded the Samajwadi Party.
- He is popularly known as 'Netaji'. He is also called 'Dhartiputra' or son of the soil by his supporters.
- He was first elected to the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly in 1967.
- He became member of Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly 10 times.
Topic: State News/Madhya Pradesh
5. PM Modi will inaugurate the Mahakal Lok on 11 October 2022.
- He will also address a public meeting in Ujjain.
- On the day of the inauguration of the newly constructed Mahakal Lok in Ujjain, there will be a festival of lights like Deepawali in Madhya Pradesh.
- Earthen lamps will be lit in all major temples and religious places in all 52 districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- PM Modi will inaugurate 1st phase of Rs 856-crore Mahakaleshwar Temple corridor development project on 11 October 2022.
- Major highlights of Mahakal Lok in Ujjain are two gateways, a colonnade of 108 ornate pillars made of carved sandstones, fountains and a panel of over 50 murals depicting stories from Shiv Puran.
- The over 900-metre-long corridor, Mahakal Lok, is one of the largest such corridors in India.
- Two gateways are Nandi Dwar and Pinaki Dwar. They are near the starting point of the corridor.
- Sandstones sourced from Bansi Paharpur area in Rajasthan have been used.
Topic: Reports and Indices/ Rankings
6. Jharkhand has the highest percentage of underage girls getting married.
- This has been revealed in a demographic survey carried out by Union Home Ministry.
- The survey was carried out in 2020 by the office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner. Its report was published in September.
- The percentage of girls getting married before turning 18 is 5.8% in Jharkhand as per the survey.
- According to the survey, the percentage of females who got married before reaching 18 years is 1.9 at the national level.
- At the state level, it varies from 0.0 in Kerala to 5.8 in Jharkhand.
- The survey said child marriages in Jharkhand accounted for 7.3% of marriages in rural areas and 3% in urban areas.
- According to the survey, the only two states where more than half of the women are married before reaching the age of 21 years are Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- 54.9% of girls are married in West Bengal before attaining the age of 21 years.
- 54.6% of girls are married in Jharkhand before attaining the age of 21 years.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|September Monthly Current Affairs||August Monthly Current Affairs|
|July Monthly Current Affairs||June Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: National Appointments
7. Dr. Akhilesh Gupta has been given an additional charge of SERB as its Secretary.
- On October 8, 2022, Dr. Akhilesh Gupta, Senior Adviser at the Department of Science and Technology (DST), has been appointed Secretary of the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB).
- Dr. Gupta replaced Dr. Sandeep Verma, who completed his tenure on October 7.
- Dr. Gupta was the Head of the Policy Coordination and Program Management Division (PCPM) and overall in charge of the National Mission for maintaining 5 National Missions in DST.
- Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB):
- It is a statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology, the Government of India.
- It was established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009 (SERB ACT,2008).
- The Board is chaired by the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Science and Technology.
- The Board was established to support basic research in science and engineering and to offer funds for research to academic institutions, researchers, and R&D laboratories.
8. Pankaj Advani won his 25th World Billiards title.
- Pankaj Advani clinched his 25th gold medal on the world stage at the 2022 IBSF World Billiards Championship in Kuala Lumpur.
- He won the medal by defeating India's Sourav Kothari 4-0 in the final.
- With his 25 titles, Advani has become the Indian to win the most gold medals in world championships of all sports.
- With this win, Advani completed the Billiards National-Asian-World Golden Target for a record fifth time in a single calendar year.
- Advani's last world title came 12 months ago in Qatar, where he won the IBSF 6-Red Snooker World Cup title.
- Due to the pandemic, the event was last held in 2019 and was rescheduled after a gap of three years.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
9. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar inaugurated the new Indian High Commission Chancery in Wellington.
- During his visit to New Zealand, S Jaishankar inaugurated the new Indian High Commission Chancery in Wellington.
- India and New Zealand navies also signed the pact on White Shipping Information Exchange.
- The agreement will promote greater transparency in the maritime field.
- The agreement has been signed between Navy chief Admiral R Hari Kumar and Rear Admiral David Proctor, Chief of Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN).
- In recent years, India and New Zealand have strengthened their relationship.
- India is New Zealand’s 11th largest two-way trading partner. India mainly exports pharmaceuticals/medications, precious metals and gems, textiles and motor vehicles to New Zealand.
- Around five percent of the New Zealand population are Indians. 2,40,000 Indians are residing in New Zealand.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Reports and Indices/ Rakings
10. India is at fourth position among 12 countries of the Indo-Pacific in self-reliant defence production.
- As per a study by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), China is in the first position among 12 countries of the Indo-Pacific in self-reliant defence production.
- Japan and South Korea are on second and third positions respectively. Taiwan, Australia and Singapore rank fifth, sixth and seventh.
- The study covered Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
- India remains one of the largest importers of major arms. India was the second-largest importer between 2016-20.
- Out of the total volume of arms procured by India during 2016-20, 84% were of foreign origin.
- As per the report, India is highly dependent on imports of foreign arms.
- China remained the world’s fifth-largest arms importer in 2016-20. Domestic production in China is replacing imports of major arms.
- As per the report, Pakistan ranked eighth, followed by Indonesia (rank 9), Malaysia (rank 10) and Thailand (rank 11).
Topic: Banking System
11. Reserve Bank of India released a concept note on the Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).
- The main aim of the concept Note is to create awareness about the Digital Rupee.
- It explains the objectives, choices, benefits, and risks of issuing a digital currency in India.
- The concept note also discusses important issues related to technology and possible uses of the Digital Rupee, issuance mechanisms, etc.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her 2022-23 budget speech announced the launch of the Digital Rupee.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is set to launch the Digital Rupee for specific use on a pilot basis.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
12. Environment Ministry constituted a nine-member task force to monitor Cheetahs in Kuno National Park.
- A Nine-member task force will monitor the Cheetah introduction project at Kuno National Park in Madhya Pradesh and other suitable designated areas.
- The task force includes Principal Secretaries, Forests and Tourism of Madhya Pradesh, and the Inspector General of NTCA, New Delhi Dr Amit Mallick.
- The task force will be in force for a period of two years. It may appoint a subcommittee to regularly visit the Cheetah introduction areas.
- The task force will review the progress and monitor the health status of Cheetahs.
- It will also monitor the hunting skills and adaptation of Cheetahs to the habitat of Kuno National Park.
- Additionally, the task force will recommend the construction of tourism-related infrastructure in the surrounding areas of Kuno National Park and other Protected Areas.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
13. DPIIT notified the establishment of the Credit Guarantee Scheme for Startups (CGSS).
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has notified the setting up of the Credit Guarantee Scheme for Startups (CGSS).
- Under this scheme, credit guarantee loans will be given by Scheduled Commercial Banks, Non-Banking Financial Companies and Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) registered Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs).
- It would provide collateral-free loans up to Rs 10 crore for start-ups.
- If the original loan sanction amount is up to Rs 3 crores the extent of transaction-based cover will be 80% of the amount in default.
- If the original loan sanction amount is above Rs 3 crore then the extent of transaction-based cover will be 75% of the amount in default.
- CGSS will complement the existing Schemes under the Startup India initiative.
- The scheme shows Government’s focus towards promoting innovation and fostering entrepreneurship.
- DPIIT will constitute a Management Committee (MC) and a Risk Evaluation Committee (REC) for reviewing, supervising and operational oversight of the Scheme.
Topic: Important Days
14. World Post Day: 9 October
- World Post Day is celebrated every year on 9 October.
- It marks the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in Switzerland.
- The theme for World Post Day 2022 is 'Post for Planet'.
- October 9 was adopted as World Post Day at the 1969 UPU Congress in Tokyo, Japan.
- The Indian Post Office Act 1898 was passed by the legislature on March 22, 1898.