- 1. Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee eased genome editing norms for plants.
- 2. Geological Survey of India identified two geological heritage sites in the Indian Himalayan Region.
- 3. ADB and HSBC partnered to establish a $100 million partial guarantee program for MFIs in India.
- 4. Telugu, Kannada New Year's Day Ugadi and Marathi New Year's Gudi Padwa celebrated on 2nd April.
- 5. World Autism Awareness Day 2022: 02 April
- 6. An MoU signed between IFSCA and the IRDAI.
- 7. IndAus ECTA has been signed on 02 April 2022.
- 8. Dr. S Raju has assumed charge as Director General of GSI.
- 9. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov was on a two day visit to India.
- 10. Former Sikkim CM BB Gooroong passed away at the age of 92.
- 11. A three-headed 9th century sculpture of Lord Vishnu recovered from Jhelum River.
- 12. Chief Justice of India N V Ramana launched FASTER system to transmit court orders swiftly.
- 13. Microsoft launched Startups Founders Hub to support early-stage startup founders.
- 14. Ann Mariya M.T won gold medal in National weightlifting championships.
Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
1. Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee eased genome editing norms for plants.
- The Union Ministry of Environment and Forest has issued a notification that has eased norms for the Genome editing of plants.
- The Government has decided to exempt certain types of genome-edited crops from the biosafety regulations applicable for genetically modified (GM) crops.
- There are three categories of gene-editing: SDN1, SDN2 and SDN3. SDN1 and SDN2 types of genome editing are currently being used in India.
- The Government has exempted Site directed nuclease (SDN) 1 and 2 genome editing from Rules 7-11 of the Environment Protection Act.
- Now, the Department of Biotechnology can approve and notify the guidelines for genome-edited plants.
- Genome-edited plants are different from genetically-modified organisms (GMO) technology.
- Bt cotton is the only GM crop that has been approved by the government for commercial cultivation.
- The Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee is an authority that certifies a GM product for commercial use.
2. Geological Survey of India identified two geological heritage sites in the Indian Himalayan Region.
- Siwalik Fossil Park and Stromatolite bearing Dolomite / Limestone of Buxa Formation have been identified as geological heritage sites in the Indian Himalayan Region.
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) declares geo-heritage sites/ national geological monuments for the better protection and maintenance.
- Geological Heritage Sites are the places where geologic features or landscapes has played a significant role in cultural or historical events.
- There are a total 34 Geological Heritage Sites in India.
- Siwalik Fossil Park:
- It is located in the Sirmur district of Himachal Pradesh.
- It has a collection of prehistoric vertebrate fossils and skeletons found from upper and middle Siwaliks regions.
- It is the biggest fossil park of Asia.
- It was established by the Geological Survey of India in association with the Government of Himachal Pradesh in 1974.
- Stromatolite bearing Dolomite / Limestone of Buxa Formation:
- This site is situated near to Mamley in the South Sikkim district.
- This site has one of the rare examples of early life in Sikkim Himalaya.
- The Geoheritage site at Mamley exposes limestones of Buxa Formation of the Proterozoic age.
Topic: Banking System
3. ADB and HSBC partnered to establish a $100 million partial guarantee program for MFIs in India.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and HSBC India (HSBC) have partnered to establish a $100 million partial guarantee program.
- Its aim is to support over 400,000 micro-borrowers and mostly women-owned microenterprises across India.
- Under the deal, total $30 million will be initially distributed to three microfinance institutions (MFIs) in India by April 2022.
- This is the first collaboration between ADB and HSBC.
- Through the partnership, HSBC will give loans to microfinance institutions (MFIs) and non-bank finance companies, with ADB partially guaranteeing loans.
- ADB's microfinance Program, which was launched in 2010, has given more than $1.8 billion in loans and helped to raise $881 million in co-financing.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- It is a regional development bank established in 1966.
- Its members are 68 countries.
- Its headquarters is in Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- Its President is Masatsugu Asakawa.
- HSBC Bank India:
- Its CEO is Hitendra Dave.
- Its headquarters is in Mumbai.
- It was founded is in 1853.
Topic: Art and Culture
4. Telugu, Kannada New Year's Day Ugadi and Marathi New Year's Gudi Padwa celebrated on 2nd April.
- Telugu-speaking people across the world celebrated Telugu New Year's Day, "Ugadi", on 2nd April.
- To mark the beginning of the Hindu Lunar calendar, this festival is celebrated across Telangana, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- Ugadi is celebrated on the first day of Chaitra, the first month of the Hindu calendar.
- Gudi Padwa, also known as Samvatsar Padvo, is a Marathi new year celebrated by Maharashtrians and Konkanis people all over India.
- It was celebrated on April 2 in Maharashtra. In Maharashtra, Gudi Padwa has a special significance.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
5. World Autism Awareness Day 2022: 02 April
- Every year on April 2nd, World Autism Awareness Day is commemorated.
- It is observed to generate awareness among the public about people living with autism.
- The theme of World Autism Awareness Day 2022 is ‘Inclusion in the Workplace’.
- The UN General Assembly declared April 2 as World Autism Awareness Day in 2007. The first World Autism Awareness Day was celebrated in 2008.
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a broad term used to describe a group of neurodevelopmental disorders.
Topic: MoUs / Agreements
6. An MoU signed between IFSCA and the IRDAI.
- Shri Injeti Srinivas, Chairperson of the International Financial Services Centers Authority (IFSCA), and Shri Debasish Panda, Chairperson of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), signed an MoU at IRDAI's head office in Hyderabad.
- This MoU focuses on the strengthening of inter-regulatory exchange of information, technical cooperation, and supervisory collaboration as well as provides opportunities for developing innovative insurance solutions for the evolving global trends.
- The IRDAI is responsible for the overall development and regulation of the insurance sector in India.
- International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA):
- It was established to regulate all financial services in International Financial Services Centres (IFSCs).
- IFSCA aims to establish a strong worldwide connection while focusing on the needs of the Indian economy, as well as to function as a regional/global international financial platform.
- It was established on April 27, 2020, under the International Financial Services Center Authority Act, 2019.
- It is headquartered at Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
Topic: International News
7. IndAus ECTA has been signed on 02 April 2022.
- India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (IndAus ECTA) covers trade of both goods and services between India and Australia.
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal and Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Government of Australia signed IndAus ECTA in a virtual ceremony.
- During Australian trade Minister’s visit to Delhi in February 2022, it was decided that a Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement would be signed between two countries within 12 months
- India is Australia's fifth-largest trading partner.
- In February 2022, Indo- UAE CEPA was signed. It is a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) between India and United Arab Emirates (UAE).
8. Dr. S Raju has assumed charge as Director General of GSI.
- He was Additional Director General and National Head, Mission-III & IV at GSI headquarters.
- Dr. Raju has replaced Rajendra Singh Garkhal.
- Geological Survey of India (GSI):
- It was founded in 1851. Its headquarters is in Kolkata.
- Its primary work is related to the assessment and analysis of national geo-scientific information and mineral resources.
- Presently, GSI works under the Ministry of Mines.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
9. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov was on a two day visit to India.
- The Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov had arrived in India after concluding a two-day visit to China.
- Russian foreign minister held talks with his Indian counterpart S Jaishankar.
- Russian foreign minister offered steep discounts on the direct sale of oil and both sides also discussed the Rupee-rouble trade arrangement for bilateral trade.
- Russian Foreign Minister also met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- This is the highest-level visit by a Russian official to India after the launch of military operations in Ukraine.
- US Deputy National Security Adviser Daleep Singh and British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss are also on visit to India.
- Rupee-rouble trade mechanism:
- It is a payment mechanism that will allow Indian exporters to pay in Indian rupees for their exports to Russia.
- Under this arrangement, a Russian bank will have to open an account in an Indian bank.
- Earlier, India and Russia have used a rupee-rouble payment mechanism for the trade of few items like tea.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Personality in News
10. Former Sikkim CM BB Gooroong passed away at the age of 92.
- BB Gooroong was the third chief minister of Sikkim. He started his political career as a member of the Sikkim State Congress in 1947.
- He was also editor in Kanchenjunga, the first news-based Nepali journal of Sikkim.
- In the history of Sikkim, he has the shortest tenure of two weeks as Chief Minister.
- He also served as a Political and Press Advisor to the former SDF government.
Topic: Art and Culture
11. A three-headed 9th century sculpture of Lord Vishnu recovered from Jhelum River.
- Labourers found this ancient sculpture in the Lelhara Kakapora area of the Pulwama district while extracting sand in the Jhelum River.
- This unique sculpture is made of black and green colour stone. Its face has incarnations of lion, boar, and human.
- The sculpture represents the sculptural style in use at Avantipora during the ninth century AD.
- Last year, a black stone idol of Goddess Durga was found in Jhelum in the Srinagar district.
- Sculpture in India:
- The art of sculpture started in India during the Indus Valley civilization.
- During the Gupta Empire, the sculptures of Vishnu, Shiva, Krishna and the goddess Durga were made in large numbers.
- Sculpture are used to illustrate the principles of Hinduism, Buddhism, or Jainism.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Indian Polity
12. Chief Justice of India N V Ramana launched FASTER system to transmit court orders swiftly.
- FASTER (Fast and Secured Transmission of Electronic Records) software has been launched for fast and secure transmission of court orders.
- Supreme Court and High Court now can communicate interim orders, stay orders, bail orders, etc. to authorities with the help of the FASTER (Fast and Secured Transmission of Electronic Records) system.
- It will help in reducing the delay in the release of prisoners.
- The FASTER system has been developed by the Registry in association with the National Informatics Centre.
- All nodal officers have been connected through a specific Judicial Communication Network (JCN).
- A FASTER cell has also been established in the Registry of the Supreme Court.
- The FASTER cell will transmit the digitally signed record of proceedings or orders related to bail to the nodal officers.
13. Microsoft launched Startups Founders Hub to support early-stage startup founders.
- Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub in India will give startups free access to the technology, tools, and resources needed to run their business.
- It will be available to all startups in India, including those without third-party validation or funding.
- Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub will help entrepreneurs in connecting them with Industry leaders and in achieving their goals.
- Microsoft announced that this platform will offer benefits and credits worth over USD 300,000. It will act as a catalyst for entrepreneurship and innovation in India.
- India has the third largest ecosystem of startups after the US and China.
14. Ann Mariya M.T won gold medal in National weightlifting championships.
- Ann Mariya M.T from Kerala set a national record by lifting a total 231kg.
- Gurdeep Singh won the gold medal in the men’s category by lifting a total 391kg.
- Bhubaneswar hosted National Weightlifting Championships for senior men and women as well as for youth and junior categories.
- It was organized from 19-31 March at the KIIT University campus in Bhubaneswar.
- More than 1300 athletes from 30 states and Union Territories took part in this tournament.