- 1. ISRO to track space debris under the Network for Space Objects Tracking and Analysis (NETRA) project.
- 2. Constitution (Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2022 has been passed in Rajya Sabha.
- 3. Andhra Pradesh continues to be the top fruit producing state in 2021-22.
- 4. CCS has approved procurement of fifteen Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) Limited Series Production (LSP) from HAL at cost of Rs. 3,887 Crore.
- 5. Indian and French Navies are conducting the bilateral naval exercise "VARUNA" in the Arabian Sea.
- 6. Max Verstappen won Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2022.
- 7. Government has decided to reduce disturbed areas under AFSPA in Nagaland, Assam and Manipur.
- 8. Odisha is celebrating its 87th foundation day on 01 April 2022.
- 9. Bilateral trade between India and China increased by 43.41% in the last fiscal.
- 10. One-horned rhino population increased by 200 in last four years at Kaziranga National Park.
- 11. Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) Maritime Exercise 2022 concluded in Goa.
- 12. Maharashtra government launched a scheme to give personal loans to prisoners.
- 13. India, Sri Lanka signed an agreement to set up hybrid power plants.
- 14. International Transgender Day of Visibility: 31 March
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: Space and IT
1. ISRO to track space debris under the Network for Space Objects Tracking and Analysis (NETRA) project.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to increase its space Junk tracking capability by deploying new radars and optical telescopes.
- Under the Network for Space Objects Tracking and Analysis project (NETRA), space debris tracking radar with a range of 1,500 km and an optical telescope will be established.
- The radar will detect objects above 10 cm in size. It has been indigenously designed and built.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will deploy two such radars at a distance of 1000 km.
- In 2021, ISRO monitored around 3,148 events when the distance between other objects in geostationary orbit and Indian satellites was less than 5 km.
- The maximum number of objects that could threaten Indian satellites were fragments of Chinese satellites Fengyun-1C and Kosmos-Iridium satellite.
- According to ISRO, the volume of space debris will also increase with the increase in space missions globally.
- Space junk or debris:
- It consists of fragments of space objects, dead satellites, and fragments of space objects.
- It revolves at an average speed of 27,000 kmph.
Topic: Indian Polity
2. Constitution (Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2022 has been passed in Rajya Sabha.
- The bill has provision to remove Bhogta caste from the list of Scheduled Castes (SCs) in Jharkhand.
- It includes the Bhogta community in the list of Scheduled Tribes in Jharkhand.
- It will make amendment to Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 and Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order, 1950.
- It will include nine communities in the Scheduled Tribes list of Jharkhand.
- The names of these communities are Deshwari, Ganjhu, Dautalbandi (Dwalbandi), Patbandi, Raut, Maajhia, Khairi (Kheri), Tamaria (Tamadia) and Puran.
- On the basis of requests from various states, central government amends Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes lists that were originally notified in 1950.
3. Andhra Pradesh continues to be the top fruit producing state in 2021-22.
- Other top fruit producer states are Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka and Gujarat.
- Uttar Pradesh has regained its position as top vegetable producing state after two years in 2021-22.
- West Bengal has come at the second place in the list of top vegetable producing states.
- Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Maharashtra are other top vegetable producer states.
- India’s horticulture production may drop slightly by 0.4% to 333.25mt in 2021-22 from previous year.
- Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture:
- It is being implemented by Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare from 2014-15.
- It is a centrally sponsored scheme for growth of the horticulture sector.
Top Five Fruit Producing States (2021-22)
Top Five Vegetable Producing States (2021-22)
4. CCS has approved procurement of fifteen Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) Limited Series Production (LSP) from HAL at cost of Rs. 3,887 Crore.
- Cabinet Committee on Security under chairmanship of PM Modi has approved procurement of ten LCH Limited Series Production (LSP) for Indian Air Force and five for Indian Army.
- Light Combat Helicopter Limited Series Production (LSP) is a state of the art combat helicopter that is indigenously designed, developed and manufactured.
- It is containing approximately 45% indigenous content by value.
- Indigenous content will be gradually increased to 55% for Series Production version.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):
- It was formed on 1 October 1964. It works under the Ministry of Defence.
- It is a government owned corporation involved in the design, fabrication and assembly of aircraft, jet engines, and helicopters.
- Its headquarters is located in Bangalore.
5. Indian and French Navies are conducting the bilateral naval exercise "VARUNA" in the Arabian Sea.
- The 20th edition of the 'VARUNA' Bilateral Naval Exercise between the Indian and French Navies is being conducted in the Arabian Sea from March 30 to April 3.
- Ships, submarines, maritime patrol aircraft, fighter aircraft, and helicopters from both sides are taking part in this exercise.
- These units will work to improve and perfect their maritime theatre operational skills, as well as increase interoperability in order to conduct maritime security operations.
- In 1993, the two navies began conducting bilateral naval exercises.
- In 2001, the exercise was renamed 'VARUNA,' and it has since become an important part of the strategic bilateral relationship between India and France.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. Max Verstappen won Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2022.
- Red Bull driver Max Verstappen defeated Charles Leclerc's Ferrari to win the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix. It is the 21st win of his career.
- Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc of Monaco finished second and Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz Jr. of Spain finished third.
- Lewis Hamilton, a seven-time Formula One winner, finished 10th.
- The Saudi Arabian Grand Prix is a Formula One motor racing event that started in 2021.
Topic: National News
7. Government has decided to reduce disturbed areas under AFSPA in Nagaland, Assam and Manipur.
- Centre has decided to remove AFSPA completely from 23 districts and partially from 1 district of Assam with effect from 01 April 2022.
- It has decided to exclude 6 districts of Manipur from Disturbed Area Notification with effect from 01 April 2022.
- It has decided to withdraw Disturbed Area Notification from 15 police stations in 7 districts in Nagaland with effect from 01 April 2022.
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma welcomed centre’s decision to withdraw AFSPA partially from 3 states of North East.
- He said the act will be in force only in 9 districts and 1 sub-division in Assam after recent decision.
- Northeastern states where Disturbed Area Notification is currently (31 March 2022) in force:
- As of 31 March 2022, it is in force in entire Manipur excluding Imphal Municipality area since 2004.
- As of 31 March 2022, it is in force in the entire Nagaland from 1995.
- It is currently in force only in 3 districts (Tirap, Changlang, Langding) and in 2 police station areas in Namsai district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Disturbed Area Notification under AFSPA was completely removed from Tripura and Meghalaya in 2015 and 2018, respectively.
- Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA):
- This is a Parliamentary Act that was introduced in 1958.
- The Act gives the Armed Forces special powers of search and arrest and many others for maintenance of public order.
Topic: State News/Odisha
8. Odisha is celebrating its 87th foundation day on 01 April 2022.
- Odisha Day is commonly known as Utkal Divas. Odisha was formed as an independent province in 1936.
- On 01 April 1936, it was separated from Bengal and Bihar provinces.
- Odisha Day is also called Vishuva Milan. Kalinga, Utakal, Udra, Toshali and Kosala are names of Odisha in ancient history.
- Odisha is named after Odra tribe living in its central region. 113th Amendment Bill 2011 changed the name of Orissa to Odisha.
- It is a state on the Bay of Bengal in the east of India.
- It is famous for Jagannath temple in Puri and for Rath yatra or Chariot Festival.
- It is known for its tribal cultures and many ancient Hindu temples.
- Its capital is Bhubaneswar. It has unicameral legislature.
- The Chief Minister is Naveen Patnaik and Governor is Ganeshi Lal.
Topic: International News
9. Bilateral trade between India and China increased by 43.41% in the last fiscal.
- The bilateral trade between India and China reached to US$ 125.62 billion.
- India’s exports to China reached US$28.03 billion by increasing 34.28%.
- India’s imports from China reached US$97.59 billion increasing by 46.14%. The trade deficit between India and China has increased by 51.53%.
- India was the 14th largest trade partner of China in 2021. India mainly export iron ores, diamonds, aluminum, and refined copper cathodes to China.
- India is the fifth largest exporter of iron ores to China. India’s exports of iron ores has increased by 18.84%.
- India was the second-largest diamond exporter to China. India’s exports of diamonds reached to US$ 2.56 billion.
- Export of electrical machinery and equipment from China to India registered a growth of 36.77%.
- India was the largest export destination for Chinese organic chemicals in 2021.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Environment and Ecology
10. One-horned rhino population increased by 200 in last four years at Kaziranga National Park.
- As per the new census, the population of One-horned rhinos in Kaziranga National Park has reached to 2,613. The last census recorded a rhino population of 2,413.
- According to the latest survey, there are 750 adult male rhinos, and 903 adult females. The census also recorded 279 juveniles (1 to 3 years) and 146 calves (0 to 1).
- Kaziranga National Park has the population density of one rhino per 0.2 square kilometre.
- It is the first time that drones have been used for the census.
- According to the latest surveys, population of rhinos have also increased in Orang national park and Pobitora wildlife sanctuary.
- One-horned rhinoceros are herbivores. They are listed as vulnerable in the IUCN Red list.
- Kaziranga National Park:
- It is located in the flooded plains of the Brahmaputra Valley in Assam.
- It has the largest population of one-horned rhinoceros.
- It was declared a national park in 1974.
- It was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1985.
11. Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) Maritime Exercise 2022 concluded in Goa.
- The first edition of the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) Maritime Exercise has been conducted in the Arabian Sea from 26 – 30 Mar 2022.
- The main objective of the exercise is to enhance interoperability in Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operations.
- Out of 25 members, 15 members have participated in the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) Maritime Exercise.
- The Harbour Phase of IMEX-22 was conducted at Marmugao port from 26 to 27 March. Sea Phase was organized from 28 March to 30 March.
- Warships, aircraft, and helicopters from the navies of Bangladesh, France, India, and Iran have participated in this exercise.
- This exercise is important for cooperation between navies of member countries and to collectively respond to natural disasters in the region.
- Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS):
- It was established in 2007.
- It is a forum to discuss regional maritime issues and to improve maritime security cooperation in the Indian Ocean Region.
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
12. Maharashtra government launched a scheme to give personal loans to prisoners.
- Maharashtra government will give personal loans to prisoners for improving the living standard of their families.
- The Maharashtra State Co-operative Bank will give loans up to Rs 50,000 at an interest rate of 7%.
- The scheme will be implemented on a trial basis at Yerawada Central Jail.
- It is a unique loan scheme that is based on the income earned while working in a prison. About 1055 prisoners will get benefit from the scheme.
- The amount of loan will be determined on the basis of duration of punishment, age, estimated annual working day, and minimum daily income.
- Bank will be responsible for ensuring that the loan amount will be spent to meet the needs of the family of prisoners or to pay the fees of their lawyers.
13. India, Sri Lanka signed an agreement to set up hybrid power plants.
- External Affairs Minister of India S Jaishankar and his Sri Lankan counterpart G L Peiris signed an MoU for the implementation of hybrid power projects in Jaffna.
- These hybrid power plants will be set up in Nainativu, Delft or Neduntheevu, and Analaitivu islands.
- These three Islets are located near to Tamil Nadu and these projects were earlier awarded to the Chinese firm Sinosar-Etechwin.
- India had raised concern over its location, after that Chinese firm suspended the project to install hybrid energy plants.
- India also signed agreements to establish a maritime rescue coordination center in Sri Lanka and to implement Sri Lanka Unique Digital Identity (SL-UDI) programme.
- An MoU between the Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service and the Bandaranaike International Diplomatic Training Institute was also signed.
Topic: Important Days
14. International Transgender Day of Visibility: 31 March
- March 31 is observed as the International Transgender Day of Visibility all around the world.
- It is observed to highlight the contribution of transgender people and to raise awareness about the discrimination faced by transgenders.
- This day was founded by transgender activist Rachel Crandall of Michigan.
- The first International Transgender Day of Visibility was observed on 31 March 2009.
- As per a study by the Indian Journal for Psychological Medicine, 31 percent of transgender people in India commit suicide.